Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Sorry if this has been posted before, but damn it's really tickled me.

Was flicking on the TV and came across one of those end of year '50 biggest cock ups' or something.

And this has gotta rate. Birmingham Council ( the English one) sent out a load of leaflets thanking their residents for recycling so much. Now, apart from the environmental implications of printing the leaflets lol, there was a little faux pas. The skyline picture on the leaflets was of...Birmingham, Alabama.

To start with they tried to say they had just used a 'generic' picture, but were later forced to admit that, yes, actually they had googled 'Birmingham skyline' and took the picture from that, without checking it was the right one.

I don't know whether to gigle myself silly or *facepalm*

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another case of "Your Government in Action." I think the palm to the forehead is the way to go.

Maryn, shaking her head

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another case of "Your Government in Action." I think the palm to the forehead is the way to go.

Maryn, shaking her head
I prefer a good "Doh!" while slapping the forehead.

brad_b

Knight Errant
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in my mind... it echoes in here ...
I've been to Birmingham, England and it's skyline is nothing like the skyline of Birmingham, Ala. I remember seeing a cemetery there, the thing was HUMUNGOUS! I suppose when you live in an island country you gotta kind of crowd the folks in. Went to Sherwood Forest, too, tweren't much of a forest from what I could see, not like in the movies, which we all know are really authentic and true.

Reaction score
I've been to Birmingham, England and it's skyline is nothing like the skyline of Birmingham, Ala. I remember seeing a cemetery there, the thing was HUMUNGOUS! I suppose when you live in an island country you gotta kind of crowd the folks in. Went to Sherwood Forest, too, tweren't much of a forest from what I could see, not like in the movies, which we all know are really authentic and true.

Ooh, that pushed my button.

I know I've said this before, but - England is not an island. It has land borders with other countries.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
You know I once heard an American asks a Scotsman which part of England Scotland was in.

I think I can safely say the reply isn't repeatable on a family forum :D Can't say I blame him either.

And Sherwood was a LOT bigger when old Robin was there. Like it covered a couple of counties.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
To start with they tried to say they had just used a 'generic' picture, but were later forced to admit that, yes, actually they had googled 'Birmingham skyline' and took the picture from that, without checking it was the right one.
And apparently, also admitting they used it without permission of the copyright holder (as most of us know, just because a pic is on the Internet doesn't mean it's public domain).

They even say the name differently over there. I'm tempted to go surfing amd match Internet images to the one on the leaflet shown in this story:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7560912.stm

Last edited: