PDA

View Full Version : Birmingham...where?

Mr Flibble
12-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Sorry if this has been posted before, but damn it's really tickled me.

Was flicking on the TV and came across one of those end of year '50 biggest cock ups' or something.

And this (http://www.birminghampost.net/news/west-midlands-news/2008/08/14/council-admit-birmingham-alabama-print-gaffe-was-a-mistake-65233-21531362/) has gotta rate. Birmingham Council ( the English one) sent out a load of leaflets thanking their residents for recycling so much. Now, apart from the environmental implications of printing the leaflets lol, there was a little faux pas. The skyline picture on the leaflets was of...Birmingham, Alabama.

To start with they tried to say they had just used a 'generic' picture, but were later forced to admit that, yes, actually they had googled 'Birmingham skyline' and took the picture from that, without checking it was the right one.

I don't know whether to gigle myself silly or *facepalm*

Maryn
12-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Another case of "Your Government in Action." I think the palm to the forehead is the way to go.

Maryn, shaking her head

scarletpeaches
12-28-2008, 05:13 PM
I used to live there.

No, not that Birmingham. The other one.

alleycat
12-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Another case of "Your Government in Action." I think the palm to the forehead is the way to go.

Maryn, shaking her head
I prefer a good "Doh!" while slapping the forehead.

Beach Bunny
12-28-2008, 06:00 PM
:ROFL: ... That's too funny.

brad_b
12-28-2008, 08:01 PM
I've been to Birmingham, England and it's skyline is nothing like the skyline of Birmingham, Ala. I remember seeing a cemetery there, the thing was HUMUNGOUS! I suppose when you live in an island country you gotta kind of crowd the folks in. Went to Sherwood Forest, too, tweren't much of a forest from what I could see, not like in the movies, which we all know are really authentic and true.

scarletpeaches
12-28-2008, 11:52 PM
I've been to Birmingham, England and it's skyline is nothing like the skyline of Birmingham, Ala. I remember seeing a cemetery there, the thing was HUMUNGOUS! I suppose when you live in an island country you gotta kind of crowd the folks in. Went to Sherwood Forest, too, tweren't much of a forest from what I could see, not like in the movies, which we all know are really authentic and true.

Ooh, that pushed my button.

I know I've said this before, but - England is not an island. It has land borders with other countries.

Mr Flibble
12-29-2008, 12:28 AM
You know I once heard an American asks a Scotsman which part of England Scotland was in.

I think I can safely say the reply isn't repeatable on a family forum :D Can't say I blame him either.

And Sherwood was a LOT bigger when old Robin was there. Like it covered a couple of counties.

Beach Bunny
12-29-2008, 12:37 AM

I know I've said this before, but - England is not an island. It has land borders with other countries.
It does? Which countries does it border? Ireland is one, right?

*ducking and running*

benbradley
12-29-2008, 01:24 AM
To start with they tried to say they had just used a 'generic' picture, but were later forced to admit that, yes, actually they had googled 'Birmingham skyline' and took the picture from that, without checking it was the right one.
And apparently, also admitting they used it without permission of the copyright holder (as most of us know, just because a pic is on the Internet doesn't mean it's public domain).

They even say the name differently over there. I'm tempted to go surfing amd match Internet images (http://www.google.com/search?q=Birmingham+skyline) to the one on the leaflet shown in this story:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7560912.stm

scarletpeaches
12-29-2008, 01:25 AM
Ha! King's Norton; that's exactly where I used to live! :D

benbradley
12-29-2008, 01:29 AM

I recall from high school English class, "No land is an island."

Or was it "No man is an island?"