Not open for further replies.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Hey, everyone. Just thought I'd offer a heads' up. Information today came out that Harlequin is making more changes to its lines. As of Sept. 2006, the Harlequin Romance and Silhouette Romance lines will cease publication.

A new, 6-book-per-month line, based in the UK, will be started the same month to "replace" the two lines. Guidelines for the new, as-yet-unnamed line, will be available soon - keep checking on eHarlequin, where I imagine they will be available as soon as possible. For now I know they want something more romance (i.e. focused on the couple, not secondary characters), more emotional, more heroine-centered than hero-centered, no sexual explicitness, wordly (not just set in NA) and should not have a small-town mentality. Hero and heroine should be equals, and the heroine should not need rescuing.

Anyone who has a submission currently in at Sil Rom or H. Rom, now you know what will be happening there. If you recently received a rejection from one of these lines, well, the good news is it doesn't necessarily reflect at all on your writing. :)

Susan G.

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Sheryl Nantus said:
wow - that's some BIG changes...

:Wha:

Yep. I think Harlequin Romance was the "original" line. :(

Somehow I don't think the changes are over, either. I have no reason to say that other than gut feeling.

Susan G.

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up.

I'm curious about what they mean regarding "small town mentality".

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Fern said:
Thanks for the heads up.

I'm curious about what they mean regarding "small town mentality".

Fern, I think what they mean by that is this new line will not be looking for books that are small-town set, wherein the town sort of becomes a character. There are other lines (Harlequin American, some Superromances, some Special Editions, some Desires) that are very small-town oriented. For this line, they don't want that. For one thing they want a tight focus on the hero and heroine and their developing relationship, which is actually quite common for a short contemporary. When you only have 50-55,000 words to tell your story, that's pretty much a necessity.

They want this line to be more worldly and glamorous, I think. As I said, the new guidelines should be posted soon. :)

Susan G.

Status
Not open for further replies.