• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Great Character Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
How can you tell if a character is well developed? How does one do this? Could I have an example?

psykeout

should be writing instead...
Registered
Reaction score
To me it's if you can see the character in your mind. If I can picture the character and while reading the book, I can say 'that doesn't seem like something he would do,' then chances are it's a well-developed character.

I.E. Roland Deschain in the Dark Tower series was a well-developed character.

Most of your main characters are well-developed. Well, in your best-selling books, they are, at least. ;)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Indiana Jones! We learn everything we need to know about his past, his childhood, his relationship with his pompous overbearing father, his love of the classics and archeology, his romantic relationships, his sometimes inept social skills, his loathing of Nazis and all evil things, his willingness to risk everything to do the right thing or save innocent people from dark forces, his physical prowess and his extraordinary luck. We know what terrifies him and we know what will motivate him. We are shown all these things over several different scenes or sequences. It's not just presented all at once, like an info-dump.

Try to build a character with a past, and fill in his loves and hates, his relationships and his goals -- and then try to reveal as little as possible to the reader. You should know everything about this guy, enough to make him seem real and to make you want to step into his story and have a conversation with him, while the reader only learns enough about him to make them curious and more interested.

-Derek

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
and how do I go about doing this?

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Get a pencil and a sheet of paper and write down your character's name, sex and sexual preferences, age, education, likes, dislikes, hobbies, interests, current job and job history. Sketch his face if you like. Say hello to him. Tell him what kind of story he's going to feature in, what happens to him, what he has to do, what he has to aim for. Tell him you're going to break his legs so he'll have to crawl through broken glass to achieve his goal.

Or, if that's too much like hard work you'd like some prompts instead, try Seventh Sanctum which has generator scripts for all kinds of characters and stories. Here are some sample lists I got just by clicking on a few options:

5 General characters:
The logical laborer searching for a lost friend.
The young, tactless, sadistic cleric.
The philanthropist with a rival in his/her profession.
The tough, patriotic bodyguard.
The tough, unfriendly martial artist.

5 random male character names:
Demarcus Myers
Deon Bernie Sykes
Greg Little
Leopoldo Gilmore
Tracey Adkins

5 random female character names:
Glenda Consuelo Mercado
Karin Monroe
Lottie Landry
Suzanne Hunter
Terri Sallie Stout

5 random story ideas:
The story is about a beggar, an aged bandit, and a mean-spirited clerk. It takes place on an arctic planet. The critical element of the story is a political conflict. The blurring of the boundaries between man and machine is a major part of this story.

This is a drama/horror. The story is about a miner who was granted strange abilities by an alien species. It starts in an apartment complex in a tourist town. The critical element of the story is an angry outburst. The differences between alien technologies is a major part of this story.

The story is about a bigoted queen who has several nervous habits. It takes place in a hamlet. The differences between laws from country to country plays a major role in the story.

This is a tragedy with an emphasis on exploitation and the need for change and growth. The story is about a guild of conceited nobles. It starts in a tourist town in a magic-rich land. The story begins with a birthday preparation.

This is a drama with an emphasis on wandering. The story is about a pundit, a fearful secretary, and an adventurer. It takes place in a large nation on a fog-shrouded planet. The story begins with the discovery of a long-lost relative, climaxes with a surgery, and ends with an engagement. Different kinds of magic are vying for supremacy in the story.

...Play around with the options for a while and see what they get you. Write down stuff that you think might be useful. Pick items and combine them and see how they sounds, e.g. and using a couple of the examples above,

"Demarcus Myers was a tough guy who could break a brick in half with his bare hand, but when Glenda Consuelo Mercado walked into his life he turned into a helpless kid who could hardly speak in coherent sentences."

-Derek

psykeout

should be writing instead...
Registered
Reaction score
Character Profile Worksheet

Basic Statistics

Name:
Socioeconomic Level as a child:
Socioeconomic Level as an adult:
Hometown:
Current Residence:
Income:
Talents/Skills:
Salary:
Birth order:
Siblings (describe relationship):
Spouse (describe relationship):
Children (describe relationship):
Grandparents (describe relationship):
Grandchildren (describe relationship):
Significant Others (describe relationship):
Relationship skills:

Physical Characteristics:

Height:
Weight:
Race:
Eye Color:
Hair Color:
Glasses or contact lenses?
Skin color:
Shape of Face:
Distinguishing features:
How does he/she dress?
Mannerisms:
Habits: (smoking, drinking etc.)
Health:
Hobbies:
Favorite Sayings:
Speech patterns:
Disabilities:
Style (Elegant, shabby etc.):
Greatest flaw:
Best quality:

Intellectual/Mental/Personality Attributes and Attitudes

Educational Background:
Intelligence Level:
Any Mental Illnesses?
Learning Experiences:
Character's short-term goals in life:
Character's long-term goals in life:
How does Character see himself/herself?
How does Character believe he/she is perceived by others?
How self-confident is the character?
Does the character seem ruled by emotion or logic or some combination thereof?
What would most embarass this character?

Emotional Characteristics

Strengths/Weaknesses:
Introvert or Extrovert?
How does the character deal with anger?
With sadness?
With conflict?
With change?
With loss?
What does the character want out of life?
What would the character like to change in his/her life?
What motivates this character?
What frightens this character?
What makes this character happy?
Is the character judgmental of others?
Is the character generous or stingy?
Is the character generally polite or rude?

Spiritual Characteristics

Does the character believe in God?
What are the character's spiritual beliefs?
Is religion or spirituality a part of this character's life?
If so, what role does it play?

How the Character is Involved in the Story

Character's role in the novel (main character? hero? heroine? Romantic interest? etc.):
Scene where character first appears:
Relationships with other characters:

1. Character's Name: -- (Describe relationship with this character and changes to relationship over the course of the novel).
2. Character's Name: -- (Describe relationship with this character and changes to relationship over the course of the novel).
3. Character's Name: -- (Describe relationship with this character and changes to relationship over the course of the novel).
4. Character's Name: -- (Describe relationship with this character and changes to relationship over the course of the novel).

How character is different at the end of the novel from when the novel began:

Additional Notes on This Character:

--

This should be a good start. :D

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Just make sure you don't deliver the whole description in one paragraph. Show not tell especially applies to character development.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Hmm I'm not sure I'd use a list like that ( Where my character went to school is not something I find interesting to know, unless, I don't know, they went to school with Hemmingway or something :D) but obviously it works for some writers, and may well for Dwayne.

For me, rounded characters depend on their emotional state and emotional reactions to things. Their phobias, their secrets, and their hopes. All the little things about a person's personality. And that comes from what has happened in their life up till now. If you are writing about a man who say has a panic attack whenever he's asked to get in a car, you, the writer, need to know why. Because he once was driving and killed someone or whatever. Once you, the writer, know that you can write about him with that in mind, even if the reader never knows why.

For me, the best way to get a rounded character is to know the 'why' of them. What is their biggest shame? What is their biggest secret?

As I recall you're writing about a teenage arsonist and you've come up with some interesting ideas as to why she likes setting fires. So you are on your way to creating a rounded character.

Now writing that rounded character well -- that's a whole different kettle of fish.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
could I have an example of a character profile sheet filled out describing a well developed character? Perhaps then I'll be able to clearly understand it better with a detailed example.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
could I have an example of a character profile sheet filled out describing a well developed character? Perhaps then I'll be able to clearly understand it better with a detailed example.

Instead of us doing the work for you, how about you pick one of your favorite characters (book or TV), fill out the sheet, and then post it for us. Then tell us why knowing those things about this favorite character make them your favorite. Apply it for yourself, rather than letting us do it for you.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a favorite character. And even if I did, I don't know how to fill out the sheet for him/her

Reaction score

Read a book.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
I've read plenty, but I can't determine their personalities, traits, or how to fill out those sheets for them.

Reaction score
You can't determine the personalities of people you read about?

Riiiiight.

If you need me, I'll be...somewhere else.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I've read plenty, but I can't determine their personalities, traits, or how to fill out those sheets for them.

Dwayne, if you can't determine the personalities and traits of other characters, how on earth do think you'll be able to create your own?

How about you start with something simpler? Take the character sheet TnD posted, and use yourself as the "character." Fill it out with your own personality, traits and history.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
hey, it's not my fault I think differently from others. I don't know anything about character personalities, character flaws, how to develop them, write their dialogue, or even how to make people care about them. I can't even sympathize with real people.

There, I said it.

But like I said, I'm determined to learn. I've already written three bad books and I want to do better with the others I've planned.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Dwayne, if you can't determine the personalities and traits of other characters, how on earth do think you'll be able to create your own?

How about you start with something simpler? Take the character sheet TnD posted, and use yourself as the "character." Fill it out with your own personality, traits and history.

hey, it's not my fault I think differently from others. I don't know anything about character personalities, character flaws, how to develop them, write their dialogue, or even how to make people care about them. I can't even sympathize with real people.

There, I said it.

But like I said, I'm determined to learn. I've already written three bad books and I want to do better with the others I've planned.
It can be tricky Dwayne, but it is better to try to learn to do it yourself rather than have others do all the work for you. Give Chaos' suggestion a go and see how you do. You may find it a useful teaching experience.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
okay, I'll give it a try for myself

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
Here's the best I could come up with

Character Profile Worksheet

Basic Statistics

Name: Dwayne Gerald Anderson
Nationality: Canadian
Socioeconomic Level as a child: don't know (or understand the question)
Socioeconomic Level as an adult: don't know (or understand the question)
Hometown: Naicam
Current Residence: Naicam (Soon will be relocating to Humboldt)
Income: >$3000 per year
Talents/Skills: don't really know
Salary: I get paid per paper I deliver
Birth order: Fourth living (fifth out of six)
Siblings (describe relationship): Can't stand them
Spouse (describe relationship): none
Children (describe relationship): none
Grandparents (describe relationship): don't really care
Grandchildren (describe relationship): none
Significant Others (describe relationship): none
Relationship skills: none

Physical Characteristics:

Height: 5'8
Weight: 150lbs
Race: causasian
Eye Color: Brown
Hair Color: Brown
Glasses or contact lenses? glasses
Skin color: white, untanned
Shape of Face: regular
Distinguishing features: stitches under my nose
How does he/she dress? casual
Mannerisms:
Habits: (smoking, drinking etc.) none
Health: good
Hobbies: coin collecting, computer playing
Favorite Sayings: "Whatever"
Speech patterns: ?
Disabilities: many call my Asperger's a mental disability but I disagree
Style (Elegant, shabby etc.): ?
Greatest flaw: don't know
Best quality: don't know

Intellectual/Mental/Personality Attributes and Attitudes

Educational Background: high school
Intelligence Level: ?
Any Mental Illnesses? people call Asperger's a mental disability but I disagree
Learning Experiences: ?
Character's short-term goals in life: don't know
Character's long-term goals in life: don't know
How does Character see himself/herself? don't know
How does Character believe he/she is perceived by others? how should I know?!
How self-confident is the character? not at all
Does the character seem ruled by emotion or logic or some combination thereof? what are they?
What would most embarass this character? I don't know

Emotional Characteristics

Strengths/Weaknesses: ?
Introvert or Extrovert? introvert
How does the character deal with anger? I don't know
With sadness? I don't know
With conflict? what conflict?
With change? what change?
With loss? what loss?
What does the character want out of life? how should I know?!
What would the character like to change in his/her life? don't know
What motivates this character? to make something of himself despite what others think
What frightens this character? spiders
What makes this character happy? don't know
Is the character judgmental of others? no
Is the character generous or stingy? I give money when neccessary or needed to
Is the character generally polite or rude? depends on how I'm treated

Spiritual Characteristics

Does the character believe in God? no
What are the character's spiritual beliefs? none
Is religion or spirituality a part of this character's life? no
If so, what role does it play? I said no

How the Character is Involved in the Story

Character's role in the novel: main character
Scene where character first appears: birth
Relationships with other characters: don't know of any

How character is different at the end of the novel from when the novel began: how should I know? I can't see the future!

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
How character is different at the end of the novel from when the novel began: how should I know? I can't see the future!
This habit of taking the easy way out instead of thinking harder about something, is going to cause you to fail every time. Think about what's going to happen in your story. How will this affect your character? How will it change him, or change the way he feels about things, or about someone? As an extreme example: someone he loves dies. Another extreme example: it was his fault. How does this change him? As the writer, you're supposed to figure this out, and write it into the story. "How should I know?" is not the answer a writer should give. Use your imagination. Figure it out. If you can't... well, maybe it's time to think about another hobby.

-Derek

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Dwayne, you said you've written 3 books, have you posted any exceprts (say 1500-2000 words long) in the Share Your Work area for critique?

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Dwayne, you said you've written 3 books, have you posted any exceprts (say 1500-2000 words long) in the Share Your Work area for critique?

Published work is generally not posted for critique in the SYW forum, although we have seen an excerpt from one of Dwayne's published books there.

As for unpublished work, there have been several such threads - this one, for instance.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I didn't realize they were published books. from the way he said it, I assumed they were books he tried to sell and hadn't been able to.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
What you've done here in your answer is to put down the simple facts. Nothing else. You have to expand on them if you want to become a writer and a writer would be able to do that. With a lot of the answers it does seem like you've taken the easy way out, instead of thinking about them.
Socioeconomic Level as a child: don't know (or understand the question)
Socioeconomic Level as an adult: don't know (or understand the question)
I would assume this refers to how rich or poor you are and if you are working class, middle class, upper class, the queen of england.

Examples of cop-out answers:
Greatest flaw: don't know
Best quality: don't know

Examples of 'are you an idiot answers':
Character's short-term goals in life: don't know
Character's long-term goals in life: don't know

didn't you say already you want to be a writer? is that not a goal? If you didn't say it, then you are here trying to learn about it aren't you? Would that mean that your long term goal is to be a published writer? A short term goal would be to learn how to write, no?

More cop out answers here:
How does Character see himself/herself? don't know
How does Character believe he/she is perceived by others? how should I know?!

A better question for you would perhaps be: How does Character want others to perceive him?

An example of 'oh you didn't just say that' answer:
Does the character seem ruled by emotion or logic or some combination thereof? what are they?

What would most embarass this character? I don't know

How about instead of 'don't know' saying "Running naked through a church with only a bow tie on and singing 'hail to the chief' "

What makes this character happy? don't know
You don't know what makes you happy? Cake? Cookies? Naked pics of President Bush? Something must make you happy?

Come on Dwayne, I know you can do better. Give it another shot and this time put some thought into the answers. Use your imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.