PDA

View Full Version : Where did your username come from?

SusanH
12-26-2008, 06:41 PM
I was in the 'Watch'a doin' this very moment' thread and Shadow-Ferrett was thinking about changing his username and I became curious why we use the handles we do. So I'll start.

EMERITA: Latin for 'woman who has achieved great honor'

[I have gone through my own personal hell and survived by the skin of my teeth]

I am Susan. I have used Emerita for the last seven years everywhere I go on the web. If you see Emerita, it is me.

I am an amature costumer with StarWars 501st group and the Jedi Assembly. Everyone calls me Em, even when we get together for our troops all over the country for chairty and reunions at Dragon Con every year. A few people in the groups don't even know my real name because I am always Em or Emmy and that is what I amswer to.

Next.....

Don
12-26-2008, 06:42 PM
My momma gave me mine. :D

thethinker42
12-26-2008, 06:43 PM
The Thinker is from "The X-Files". It's been my username/handle/e-mail since, oh, 1997.

42 - if you have to ask...you're not one of the cool kids.

Don
12-26-2008, 06:48 PM
The Thinker is from "The X-Files". It's been my username/handle/e-mail since, oh, 1997.

42 - if you have to ask...you're not one of the cool kids.
Umm... is that the year you were born? :ROFL:

Shadow_Ferret
12-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Guess I'm not one of the cool kids, which makes me cool because I don't want to be a pawn.

:D

Maryn
12-26-2008, 06:54 PM
I stole the first name Maryn from a kindergarten compatriot of our daughter, now an adult. I liked it and thought I would publish under it when and if I used a pseudonym, with a surname unrelated to my real name. (I never use my real name online. One stalker in my past was enough.)

Not every Maryn you see online is me. I assume the former kindergartner probably has an online presence.

Maryn, the copycat one

SusanH
12-26-2008, 06:54 PM
I am thinking it isThinkers age. I know I watched the XFiles...I know...Roswell? or was that 52...no, I do believe it was the 40s

Mr Flibble
12-26-2008, 06:56 PM
I thought it'd save time if I admitted it up front :D

Gehanna
Mine came from Hell.

Seriously,
Gehanna

SusanH
(I never use my real name online. One stalker in my past was enough.)

OMG, never thought about that.

Samantha's_Song
12-26-2008, 06:57 PM
Samantha is the name of one of the characters in one of my novels. Everywhere else on the net, I use my own name :)

Shadow_Ferret
12-26-2008, 06:57 PM
Oh, Shadow_Ferret. ...

It's in my Day of Listening Interview, but I like to talk so I guess I can repeat it. When I first came online I joined a small chatroom and had to come up with a username. Being totally unimaginative about titles (you should see some of my WIPs. One is called "To Be Named Later" and another is "Insert Title Here"). Well, I had ferrets at the time and The Ferret just popped into my head. I used that on a few other forums until I came to EZboard and someone else had taken The Ferret (even though the jag was inactive, I still couldn't use it!) so I melded the Ferret with my favorite character from the pulps, The Shadow (because that username was ALSO taken). And came up with Shadow Ferret. I'm Shadow Ferret nearly everywhere on the webs EXCEPT for the XBox 360 forums. That's someone else.

regdog
12-26-2008, 06:58 PM
My late cat, Reggie used to follow me like a dog. He even went for walks on a leash. He was my all time favorite pet. So I'm regdog

regdog
12-26-2008, 06:59 PM
Guess I'm not one of the cool kids, which makes me cool because I don't want to be a pawn.

Me too, but I've never been one of the cool kids

thethinker42
12-26-2008, 07:02 PM

No, that's the number of days you'll have to spend in the hospital if you keep it up...

shakeysix
12-26-2008, 07:03 PM
shakey was my college nickname. i earned the nickname because i was shy, bookish and kind of brainy. my boyfriend at the time--later my husband--was the complete opposite. he was a jock, popular and very social. one night we were at a bar drinking with his crowd. i wanted to show everyone that i could be fun despite my gpa--so i jumped on the table. i really have no head for alcohol. of course the table overturned, pitchers of beer flew in every direction and we were asked to leave. shakey shannon--the name kind of stuck after that---s6

Captshady
12-26-2008, 07:04 PM
My first name is Kirk, and "Captain Kirk" has been a nickname for my entire life. When I first got on the internet and into chat rooms, CaptKirk and other derivitives were always already in use. I became just "Capt". After awhile, Eminem's song, "Slim Shady" came out, and I really liked it. I would have the chorus as my sign off of a channel, back in my "mIRC" days. Well I'm far from Slim, and didn't like "fat shady" so I combined the current nick with the shady. I've kept it, because it's unique, I don't get suggestions like "CaptShady2008" etc .

thethinker42
12-26-2008, 07:05 PM
HEADDESK.

42. Meaning of life. Hitchhiker's Guide. Etc etc etc.

(The Thinker was mentioned briefly in one episode of The X-Files, one I happened to be watching while I was trying to come up with a username for a chat room. And it stuck.)

underthecity
12-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Mine is a reference to my first published book, see avatar. A subway is under a city, hence the user name.

SusanH
12-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Oh, Shadow_Ferret. ...

I had ferrets at the time and The Ferret just popped into my head.

I have never owned a ferret although I find them fasinating. I have had...
trantulas
dogs
cats
snakes
fish
Lizards
birds
turtles
I was a rescuer if anyone is wondering. We kept all of them. http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/Emerita/Smilies/mistick_bird.gif
oh, and hamsters http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/Emerita/Smilies/rk01_rotola.gif

Albedo
12-26-2008, 07:12 PM
As well as a concept in planetary science, it happens to be a contraction of my real name.

Beach Bunny
12-26-2008, 07:14 PM
I'm Beach Bunny, because I love the beach.

From wikipedia:

A beach bunny is a general American (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States) popular culture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_culture) term for a young woman who spends her free time at the beach (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beach). In surf culture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surf_culture) it may also refer to a female surfer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfer). Bunnies are known for the amount of time they spend sun tanning (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_tanning) and are usually represented wearing bikinis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bikini).[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beach_bunny#cite_note-0)

Actually, I prefer playing on the beach to suntanning. :)

No, that's the number of days you'll have to spend in the hospital if you keep it up...

:ROFL::popcorn:

Ziljon
12-26-2008, 07:14 PM
Ziljon is the name of a giant dragonfly from my novel. He tough.:guns:

Duncan couldnít keep his eyes off the big dragonfly. Ziljon was walking so they could all talk together, and from time to time Duncan would brush up against his outstretched wings; translucent and the color of blue coral. They were surprisingly delicate for the power they could exert. The dragonfly seemed to be enormously strong. Duncan had seen him lift an old fallen tree from the path, holding it with his six spiny legs and flying it out of the way as though it were nothing more than a twig.

SusanH
12-26-2008, 07:19 PM
I'm Beach Bunny, because I love the beach.

Cool! I live at a beach, but I gave up beach sunning 30 years ago except walking on it.....sun ruined my skin and I am fighting the damage everyday.....sigh.....

SusanH
12-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Ziljon is the name of a giant dragonfly from my novel. He tough.:guns:

I collect Dragonflies!!! jewerly, art and such, not actual dragonflies. I see them in my yard alot...... It is amazing we all have so much in common here on the board.

Yeshanu
12-26-2008, 07:27 PM
I think I've posted this elsewhere, but here goes:

Yeshanu is the name of the MC in my first novel. She used to be Athena, but as the novel is set in a fantasy world, not in Greece, and as I had this love affair with names beginning with the letter "A" in that novel that I had to end, I looked for something to change it to.

I came up with Aisha, which is an African word (not sure which language) meaning "life." Name's good, but still, unfortunately, beginning with the letter "A."

So I played around with it and ended up with Yeshanu.

So it's not, as one person guessed, a derivative of Yeshua, which I wouldn't do. I can't walk on water. (Though I do swim very well. :) )

Darzian
12-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Darzian is the name of the evil overlord in my WIP. I changed the plot, though, so he no longer exists. So there's only Darzian Me now. :)

smoothseas
12-26-2008, 07:41 PM
as a retired Merchant Marine, thatís the kinda water I always like best.

blue waterís better, she says with a smile

Sophia
12-26-2008, 07:45 PM
Elara is the id I used for my course computer account at university when I was studying astrophysics. It's one of Jupiter's moons, and I thought it would make a nice name if I ever had a daughter, too. Sophia is just my name. Both 'Sophia' and 'Elara' tend to be taken on sites nowadays, but not the combination of them, so that's what I use pretty much everywhere now.

I came up with Aisha, which is an African word (not sure which language) meaning "life."

One of my cousins is named Aisha. :) I've always thought it was a lovely sounding name.

JoeEkaitis
12-26-2008, 08:21 PM
The "J" comes from Johann Sebastian Bach. The "o" is from Orville Redenbacher. The "eE" pair is a tribute to Edward Elgar. The "k" is from "kangaroo." The "a" is a homage to Apple (the computer, not the fruit). The first "i" is borrowed from Ibarra, a popular Mexican chocolate that makes killer hot cocoa if you prepared it double strong. "t" is from my defunct comic strip known as either "T.H.E. Fox" or "Thaddeus". The second "i" denotes Isolde, but I'd . . . I'd rather not . . . be reminded. ::sigh:: The final "s" gives it an overall Lithuanian flavor as opposed to Italian or Japanese, had I omitted it.

What . . . where am I? What just happened?

Siddow
12-26-2008, 08:32 PM
I used to always use my real name (yet, no stalkers...hmmm), but then I began selling and discovered, to my complete horror, that editors actually did google you, and not only did a search on my name pull up my blog (which was okay) but also my inane postings on message boards (so not okay!!!).

So when I registered here, I just used a nickname I called my baby girl at the time. Kinda like "Kiddo", but with a "Sid" at the front, and I added the W at the end because I didn't like the way Siddo looked. Too anime.

Susie
12-26-2008, 09:02 PM
My mommy gave me mine, too. :D

HeronW
12-26-2008, 09:03 PM
HeronW: Heron for my totem animal and the W is for Winterthorne from what I called a small icicle of frozen maple sap one March about 35 years ago.

Snowstorm
12-26-2008, 09:28 PM
When I signed up for AW, a near white-out snowstorm was happening. *Love it, love it* Actually much like what's happening now! I love the snow and it can pile up for feet.

scarletpeaches
12-26-2008, 09:49 PM
I like Gone with the Wind, hence the first part of my name - okay, with one 'T' lopped off. Also I used to love watching Captain Scarlet.

Second part of my name? An ex said I've got an arse like a peach. So why not? I pluralised it for extra peachiness. :D

Beach Bunny
12-26-2008, 10:02 PM
I used to always use my real name (yet, no stalkers...hmmm), but then I began selling and discovered, to my complete horror, that editors actually did google you, and not only did a search on my name pull up my blog (which was okay) but also my inane postings on message boards (so not okay!!!).

Yes, there are times when google is NOT your friend.

vixey
12-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Vixey Buxom is the character of a character in my currently subbed novel. My female MC created a character for her novel based on her wiley best friend. I chose Vixey as an offshoot of vixen, which suits that character perfectly. She's brazen, outspoken, sexy, confident, and a pile of fun. I aspire to be like her. :D

rhymegirl
12-26-2008, 10:20 PM
Hmm.

I wonder if
you can guess why
I picked Rhymegirl
to be known by.

MaryMumsy
12-26-2008, 10:25 PM
I got my name from JeanneTGC, the same person who lured me here, into the abyss of addiction. Here's a link to her version of what happened:

http://www.scrivel.com/content/view/155/62/

MM

NeuroFizz
12-26-2008, 10:40 PM
My research area is Neurophysiology, Neurophys. for short.

Sarita
12-26-2008, 10:48 PM
Sarita= nickname I've had since 1995. M- Middle Initial. S- Spock. 8- it's a number I like. :)

Nakhlasmoke
12-26-2008, 10:53 PM
The very first time I needed a username I was smoking a hookah pipe.

yeah.

Captshady
12-26-2008, 11:06 PM
as a retired Merchant Marine, thatís the kinda water I always like best.

blue waterís better, she says with a smile

Sorry to derail, but I find that super interesting. Have you ever read a book that you felt described what it's truly like to be a Merchant Marine? I'd love a title recommendation.

dancingandflying
12-26-2008, 11:18 PM
dancingandflying -

It was a name that me and my sister-in-law came up with, even though I'm the only one who uses the nickname now... I danced at the time and she did aerial silk. So, I was dancing, she was flying. Therefore, dancingandflying. :D

d&f.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-26-2008, 11:36 PM
When I joined, I was still in a 'lurking' mode, so I didn't want to use my usual 'netnick. I reached out and plucked 'Ol' Fashioned Girl' out of the ether. It was about as far from my personality as I could get, to throw off anyone who might've been tracking me to or from AW. :D

If I changed it now... no one would know me around this joint.

Hey!

robeiae
12-26-2008, 11:46 PM
Oh. I always thought it was supposed to be, like, you know, sarcastic. But in a fun way.

robeiae
12-26-2008, 11:52 PM
If I didn't know better, I'd say this thread was about to go downhill. Fast.

scarletpeaches
12-26-2008, 11:53 PM
Absolutely not. I'm outta here.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-27-2008, 12:21 AM

Good girl, SP

scarletpeaches
12-27-2008, 12:22 AM
I'm a reformed character. :D

STOP LAUGHING!!!

PS: Oh, I was out of here, wasn't I?

*leaves*

Yeshanu
12-27-2008, 12:34 AM
I got my name from JeanneTGC, the same person who lured me here, into the abyss of addiction. Here's a link to her version of what happened:

http://www.scrivel.com/content/view/155/62/

MM

:ROFL:

Definitely read this. It's hilarious.

MelodyO
12-27-2008, 12:50 AM
I'm the opposite of a lot of stories here, as Melody O is my real name, and I keep my fake internet identity a secret. That's the one who wrote really good, really dirty fanfic. Here I get to be my serious, professional, writerly self...who gives a lot fewer virtual spankings to my friends than my other identity, I must say. Siiiiigh.

DeleyanLee
12-27-2008, 01:32 AM
Deleyan Lee is my chosen pen name should I ever succeed in publishing Fantasy. I wanted something that was somewhat gender neutral.

Deleyan was a persona I had in a Pern club I belonged to a long time ago (Fort Weyr). As a persona, I got into the habit of answering to "Deleyan" or "Dele", so if I get called by the name I'll answer.

WackAMole
12-27-2008, 01:35 AM
I was playing a 1st person shooter with my oldest daughter who was then 12. I told her I needed a good screen name. She looked around the room until her beady little eyes settled on the wackamole game off in some corner somewhere...I use wackamole for most things that require a user name, because Im getting old and cant remember stuff :P

nevada
12-27-2008, 01:48 AM
Well, mine's real creative. It's the name of my dog. cue the indiana jones jokes.

It's something I can remember, I'm nevada everywhere online. it's just easier. in fact, more people call me nev than by my regular name which is probably a sad comment on the amount of friends i have in real life. (0)

donroc
12-27-2008, 01:58 AM
Combined abbreviations of my first name and last name of my HF novel and its MC.

Hillary
12-27-2008, 03:25 AM
My birth certificate.

I'm terribly creative. You know, typical writer-type.

Pagey's_Girl
12-27-2008, 03:40 AM
Mine comes from the fact that I have a ginormous crush on, among other hot guitarists, Jimmy Page. I usually use the name of one of my favorite MC's, Maddy, but there was already a Maddy on AW. :) So - Pagey's Girl.

Over on the Fixx's message board, though, I'm StarSparrow - nicked from A Wind In The Door.

jennifer75
12-27-2008, 03:44 AM
Mine? I'm sure you can all figure it out.

Sargentodiaz
12-27-2008, 03:56 AM
I have a hunch you ALL know where mine came from!

Alan Yee
12-27-2008, 04:06 AM
My username is the most original username ever. You'll never guess where I got it from. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I'm a bad liar. I'm not good at pretending to be someone I'm not. In fact, I'm more "real" online because in my everyday life I'm usually pretty quiet since I don't relate as well to people to my own age. Online, I can communicate more easily, except for the lack of facial expressions and tone of voice.

Besides, I'm horrible when it comes to making up names. :D

KikiteNeko
12-27-2008, 04:14 AM
I have a cat named Tomo.

Gosh I'm just a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

Silver King
12-27-2008, 05:14 AM
Mine is the nickname for a fish species, better known as tarpon. I wasn't drunk enough at the time to choose the Latin version, Megalops Atlanticus, so I went with the easier pronunciation.

(One drawback is that, unless you're familiar with fishing, the "King" part may sound pretentious, as if it's directed at me; but all of the royalty belongs to the tarpon. The color, too.)

DL Hegel
12-27-2008, 05:18 AM
I have no imagination. I just like it--and G W F was cool:)

ChaosTitan
12-27-2008, 05:34 AM
Because I am all-powerful and chaos follows wherever I go.

What?

robeiae
12-27-2008, 05:36 AM
Because I am all-powerful and chaos follows wherever I go.
Avatar-wise, I'm pretty sure you're talking about me...

ChaosTitan
12-27-2008, 05:36 AM

Definitely. I think my avatar inspires something a little more comical....

Don
12-27-2008, 05:41 AM
Let's see... you've popped up a couple times on this thread, but I don't remember seeing an explanation of robovowels. Did I miss it?

robeiae
12-27-2008, 05:44 AM
Let's see... you've popped up a couple times on this thread, but I don't remember seeing an explanation of robovowels. Did I miss it?
It's a secret. I could tell you...but then I'd have to kill you.

Beach Bunny
12-27-2008, 05:56 AM
Yes, robaeiouandsometimesy why did you pick your username?

sheadakota
12-27-2008, 06:04 AM
Shea is the name of one of my horses and Dakota is the name of another. And they are both names of characters in two different novels I wrote.

Silver King
12-27-2008, 06:51 AM
Yes, robaeiouandsometimesy why did you pick your username?
You mean you don't know? I thought it was public knowledge...

You see, some people around here are very superstitious. Take for example, vowel usage within usernames. Have you ever seen a member with all five? Heck, no. That's because the "u" brings bad luck, so it's usually discarded.

Now if the other four are used, within close proximity, and illicit the syllables for all of the vowels within nine beats (like the lives of a cat), then that person is known to practice a form of literary Voodoo that charms the reader into agreeing with whatever they say.

Don't believe me? Okay, sound it out: a, e, i, o, u and some-times y.

Nine beats! And all you're missing is an R, which blends in perfectly.

I rest my case.

C.bronco
12-27-2008, 07:37 AM
Silver King is obvious. Robieae has loose vowels.

I'm sorry I gave it away. U no i luvs u!

Siddow
12-27-2008, 08:25 AM
Mine is the nickname for a fish species, better known as tarpon. I wasn't drunk enough at the time to choose the Latin version, Megalops Atlanticus, so I went with the easier pronunciation.

*makes note of new user to look out for next April 1st*

*also thinks Megalops Atlanticus would make a cool double middle name for a nice aristocratic character, like Bartholemew Megalops Atlanticus Haskins III---hey, wait a minute...*

C.bronco
12-27-2008, 08:26 AM
I didn't see that post. I thought it was from his silvery goodness.

sassandgroove
12-27-2008, 08:49 AM
i'm not sure what Sass and Groove means. When I first started looking for writing websites there was one geared towards women. I don't think it was strictly writing. I can't remember what it was now, but their slogan was "nice piece of sass." I liked that.

I like music. so I was sassin' and groovin'. I dunno.

When I was little my parents allowed me to ask questions. They knew that if they told me to do the dishes and I asked why, it wasn't that I wasn't going to do the dishes, I just wanted to know why. Sometimes the answer I got was "Because I said so." but I liked to know things. Why did the trash need to go out. Why do I have to eat sitting down. Why do I have to do my homework before I watch tv. well apparently other adults don't like kids asking why. so more than once I was accused of being sassy.

and I like music. music is groovey.

I would change my username to Sassy, since a lot of AWers call me that, but then what would I call Mr. Groove?

Fingers
12-27-2008, 10:30 AM
Korea. 1975. Left ring finger amputated. Buddies gave me the name the day I got out of the hospital. The rest is as they say, history.

yer pal Brian

Gogoplata712
12-27-2008, 11:15 AM
A gogoplata is a chokehold move in Brazilian Jiu-Jistu.

...and 712 is the month and day I was born.

qwerty
12-27-2008, 03:26 PM
The top left letter keys on my keyboard spell qwerty. Let's just say I'm a lazy sod.

One of my cats is called qwerty because he likes to sleep on my keyboard.

truelyana
12-27-2008, 03:57 PM
Truely = Truly scrumptious from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

I put true in it, as I hadn't realised Truly meant the same thing. Plus the truely has a certain ring to it, as in truth wise, and Ana is my name. :)

Toot sweets sound like what they are
So do lollys in a lollypop jar
Gingerbread men have a gingerbread sound, we've found
Sugar plum cinnamon and lemon tart tell you what they are right from the
start
And your name does the same for you
By coincidence, Truly Scrumptious
You're truly truly scrumptious
Scrumptious as a cherry peach parfait
When your near us
It's so delicious
Honest Truly, you're the answer to our wishes
Truly Scrumptious
Though we may seem presumptuous
Never, never, ever go away
Our hearts beat so unruly
Because we love you truly
Honest Truly, we do
Truly scrumptious
You two are truly scrumptious
Scrumptious as the breeze across the bay
When you're smiling
It's so delicious
So beguiling
You're the answer to my wishes
Truly scrumptious
You two are truly scrumptious
And I shan't forget this lovely day
My heart beats so unruly
I also love you truly
Honest truly, I do

Beach Bunny
12-27-2008, 04:37 PM
You mean you don't know? I thought it was public knowledge...

You see, some people around here are very superstitious. Take for example, vowel usage within usernames. Have you ever seen a member with all five? Heck, no. That's because the "u" brings bad luck, so it's usually discarded.

Now if the other four are used, within close proximity, and illicit the syllables for all of the vowels within nine beats (like the lives of a cat), then that person is known to practice a form of literary Voodoo that charms the reader into agreeing with whatever they say.

Don't believe me? Okay, sound it out: a, e, i, o, u and some-times y.

Nine beats! And all you're missing is an R, which blends in perfectly.

I rest my case.
Uh huh, there's just one problem with this Silver King, very few people agree with what robaeiouandsometimesy says, not even me. And I am a shy, quiet, agreeable type of person. He needs to return his Literary Voodoo for Dummies book and get his money back. It's. not. working.

Disa
12-27-2008, 05:55 PM
It seems like I've posted this before, I'll try to make it short.

When I first discovered the internet, many, many moons ago I was using my snake's name as my username(Simpatico) and I had dial up. 2 problems with this, 1-people kept talking to me in Spanish and 2. everytime the phone rang I'd get the boot.

At this time in my life I was exploring internet chat rooms to see what all the hype was about and to try to figure out the ways to keep my kid safe online. I was very, very secretive and gave out no information about myself whatsoever.

Anyway, one guy kindly suggested a new user name for me :disappearing undercover chick-because I kept disappearing in midconversation and because I was so secretive. That became my username for a while, but I became too lazy to type it. In addition, other people used their imaginations as to what undercover meant, sooo... I decided to shorten it all to just Disa. An online evolution of sorts because by this time I'd started frequenting spiritual sites and writer's sites, and well, the older you get the less you feel like a chick, see.

Low and behold, by the power of the internet I found that Disa has a lot of cool connotations:

Defense Information Systems Agency
An Orchid
And a really cool heroine of a Swedish legendary saga
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disa

So, Disa it is...

next.

Kitrianna
12-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Kitrianna was a name I came up with almost 11 years ago on the spur of the moment. I was part of an IRC based roleplaying group and was leading a "sim". I needed to give the leader of the planet a name (it was Star Trek). What did my then nimble mind come up with? Kitrianna. I've been using it ever since.

My orignal choice for a username online was Scully (we used to be bog X-files fans) and then Anya (saw it once in a book and liked the name). Scully is used an awful lot and I can't remember why I stopped using Anya...

robeiae
12-27-2008, 06:29 PM
Uh huh, there's just one problem with this Silver King, very few people agree with what robaeiouandsometimesy says, not even me.Of course very few people agree with me, since very few people are right.

It's something you might work on as a New Year's resolution...

astonwest
12-27-2008, 07:43 PM
I used to post under my real name or variations thereof), and still do at a few boards. But for various reasons (one of which, people kept wanting to call me Tim), I decided to start posting under the MC's name from most of my stories and novels.

The "Big Daddy" part? Much longer story from times gone by on this board...needless to say, I'm not overweight, nor am I a father. :)

Beach Bunny
12-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Of course very few people agree with me, since very few people are right.

It's something you might work on as a New Year's resolution...
Uh huh *pats robaeiouandsometimesy's cheek* Sweetie, how long have you been having these delusions?

As a New Year's Resolution, you might want to see a therapist.

selkn.asrai
12-29-2008, 09:44 AM
I've had this username for longer than I can remember in many different capacities; I've always been in love with Celtic mythology, and as such, I came up with this. But according to my sources whenever that was:

selkn - I manipulated the word for the username. A selkie is a Celtic sea faerie in the form of a seal, which sheds its skin when on land; if the skin is possessed by a mortal man, the faerie is obliged to him until she can repossess the skin. If a selkie is to see a human, it can only do so for a short time before returning to the waters, at which point it cannot again see that mortal for seven years.

. : the period, a common grammatical device in multiple languages. :P

asrai : Celtic aquatic faeries that are cold to the touch, and dissolve into water if captured (especially by men) or touched by sunlight. It all resembles mermaid lore a great deal.

brad_b
12-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Nothing as literary or deep as most - Brad is my first name and 'B' is the beginning of my last. I've had several through the years, knighthawk being mostly used, but since AW is a place to work as well as enjoy the company, I thought I'd come out of the shadow of anonymity a wee bit.

Kitrianna
12-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Uh huh *pats robaeiouandsometimesy's cheek* Sweetie, how long have you been having these delusions?

As a New Year's Resolution, you might want to see a therapist.

Leave robaeiou his delusions. They're all he has left. :D

Bugboy
12-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Hi, all.

'Bugboy' is what they call apprentice jockeys, because an asterisk appeared next to their names in the racing programme. After a lifetime of writing I am still very much an apprentice.

I don't know if apprentice jockeys are still called bugboys but I got the idea from Laura Hillenbrand's book SEABISCUIT. I loved Seabiscuit as a child (they were still talking about him in the 60s) plus Hillenbrand, like me, has ME/CFS, but managed to write a pretty large book, which is my inspiration to continue.

BB :Sun:

Atani
12-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Atani - Tolkien's word for the human race or 'second born' (quendi - elves, atani - humans), also what I named my german shepherd, and then my MC from my fantasy novel. Since I hate my given name I use this one all I can :)

ReallyRong
12-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Wow! Some deep thinking went into some of these - much more than I did. I simply used word association, something to do with this site so I would remember my username. So, Absolute Write became Really Wrong, and Really Wrong was just crying out to be changed to ReallyRong.

Kitty Pryde
12-29-2008, 09:12 PM
This thread makes me happy! Kitty Pryde (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_Pryde) is one of the X-Men. Her superhero name is Shadowcat. She can phase her molecules and walk through walls. She can also climb through the air and disrupt electronics. She appears in all 3 X-Men movies, played by three different people. She's significantly younger and smarter than most of other X-Men. Currently in the Marvel Universe, Kitty Pryde is hurtling away from Earth fused to a giant alien bullet :( But I think they'll bring her back eventually because she is awesome!

http://www.uncannyxmen.net/images/spotlight/shadowcat00.jpg

TheRealFnShow
12-29-2008, 11:01 PM
It was a time ago, now, but I'm fair certain it comes from Rob Van Dam, the wrestler. Though not directly, him being The Whole F'n Show. Yeah. First board I joined was [primarily] a Wrestling Game one, so I chose that. It stuck. I occasionally sign up to places as just 'Real', but not much these days. Most people on that other board call me Real nowadays, though, and you all can too ;)

mscelina
12-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Well celina is my name. so 'mscelina' was easy--and a play off of mescaline and miscellaneous.

Plot Device
12-30-2008, 12:14 AM
I wanted a non-gender-specific screenname having to do with writing.

2old2pb
12-30-2008, 08:26 AM
I was getting ready for a tournament in Southern California when the opposing team's captain came up to me and asked,

"Who are you guys again?"

"Sick & Twisted" I replied.

He looked me in the eye and said quite seriously,

"You're too old to paintball."

Arisa81
12-30-2008, 08:36 AM
A-R-I-S-A: the first letter of all my names, first, middle and last (in order, too). 81, my birth year. Pretty simple.
I quite like that the initials of my names spell out another name.

JeanneTGC
12-30-2008, 11:33 AM
Jeanne's my real first name. When I started on the internet, back, apparently, when dinosaurs were still on it with Al Gore, I had no idea that people hid who they were and pretended to be different. I didn't then and still don't now -- sadly for some, what you see is indeed what you get.

The TGC honorific was given to me in college and then reconfirmed in those early days on the 'net. I normally tell people to just go look at my blog and it's pretty obvious what TGC stands for, but under the circumstances (and because Robeiae is refusing to play along), it stands for: The Great Corrupter.

What can I say? I believe in truth in advertising. :D

Shady Lane
12-30-2008, 11:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY91hVZqhHY

Cassiopeia
12-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Well, back in the day (1996) when I first started surfing the net, I had a chat room I went to on an old program called The Globe. We had a role playing thingy going. Old England. I was Lady Stars but well... I died. So I had to think of a new nickname to come up with to cheat the game. At that time in my life I was going through a separation and divorce. I traveled to and from South Africa and I had read about the Goddess and constellation Cassiopeia. My older son who was ten at the time told me something very interesting.

Did you know...that Cassiopeia can be seen in both the northern and southern hemispheres all year long? It is her curse for being so vain. She has to sit upside down on her thrown without reprieve for her vanity.

Anyway, my son and I (the missionary one) had a deal back then that when we were missing each other, we'd look up in the sky at Cassiopeia and think of one another. That way we didn't feel so lonely while apart.

So between being somewhat of an insomniac and my son's wishes, I just fit with this nickname. In fact, some of my South African friends think my real name is Cassi. :D

Any of this making any sense? No? OH well.

*wanders off* ;)

sassandgroove
01-03-2009, 05:24 AM
bump cause it is interesting.

William Haskins
01-03-2009, 05:32 AM
i bought mine at an estate sale.

Silver King
01-03-2009, 05:45 AM
bump cause it is interesting.
I like sassandgroove. A lot. It reminds me of tongue-and-groove, only with more pizazz. :)

scarletpeaches
01-03-2009, 05:47 AM
I'd cover my walls with sassandgroove. :)

DVGuru
01-04-2009, 05:15 AM
DVGuru=Digital Video Guru. Back when I first joined, I worked in digital video production. I don't anymore, so now the name has no meaning to me. I wish I could change it.

Bayou Bill
01-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Bayou Bill, because:

Ah'm an admitted alliterator abuser.

:cool:

M.R.J. Le Blanc
01-04-2009, 10:35 AM
M.R.J. = The first initials of my first and middle names, and Le Blanc is, well, my last name. Figure it's as good a penname as any :)

willfulone
01-04-2009, 11:11 AM
I am one person and can be a bit willful.

Christine

rxvenomqueen
01-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Rxvenomqueen derives from two songs played by two bands: Deftones and My Chemical Romance. Deftones sing a song called "Rxqueen", and My Chemical Romance sings, "Thank You For The Venom". Dropping the words "Thank You For The", I squeezed "venom" between "rx" and "queen". And so there you have it! My handle! :)

ccarver30
01-04-2009, 12:45 PM
ccarver (Clayton Carver) is the first character I ever really created; he's 30.

SusanH
01-04-2009, 06:31 PM
I am glad I started this thread. The name origins are so cool and creative!

Komnena
01-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Mine came from a Byzantine princess and historian.

Cranky
01-04-2009, 08:05 PM
I'm afraid there's no big story behind my handle here. I was in a bad mood when I joined. :D

It's very different from my other handles, though, I'll say that. Most of those have started with an "E" for some reason. My favorite was Eilethyia, for the Greek goddess of childbirth.

waylander
01-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Borrowed from a David Gemmell character - a master of adventure fantasy

Sean D. Schaffer
01-04-2009, 10:26 PM
I got my username from my parents. My first name came from the actor Sean Connery, who played James Bond back when I was born. My parents were big Ian Fleming fans at the time. :D

My middle initial is the same as my father's middle initial, and my last name came from (well, duh! Where did it come from?! Sheesh, you'd almost think I have to explain everything away, huh?).

Eskimo1990
01-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Well one cold day in 9th grade as I got onto the bus, wearing a coat, gloves, hat, scarf...so the only thing visible was my eyes.
My friend remarked that I looked like an Eskimo....and it just stuck. All my friends know me as Eskimo.
And I was born in 1990.
Eskimo1990 is what I generally use for everything. if the 1990 part is taken I will use 2009 instead as it is the year I am graduating high school :)

heyjude
01-05-2009, 12:09 AM
My little boy's name is Jude. Everywhere we go people ask, "Hey, have you ever heard that song..."

Yes. Yes I have.

Cassiopeia
01-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Well one cold day in 9th grade as I got onto the bus, wearing a coat, gloves, hat, scarf...so the only thing visible was my eyes.
My friend remarked that I looked like an Eskimo....and it just stuck. All my friends know me as Eskimo.
And I was born in 1990.
Eskimo1990 is what I generally use for everything. if the 1990 part is taken I will use 2009 instead as it is the year I am graduating high school :)Awesome story! Hey I'm graduating in 2009 too but from a two year college :D

Eskimo1990
01-05-2009, 12:18 AM
Awesome story! Hey I'm graduating in 2009 too but from a two year college :D

Lol. My mom is graduating a month before me from a two year college :)

Cassiopeia
01-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Lol. My mom is graduating a month before me from a two year college :)That's so cool. I am hoping to finish my four year degree the same year my oldest does. She's 23 now and cruising on her junior year but she's added a double major so there's hope for me. :D

Eskimo1990
01-05-2009, 12:22 AM
That's so cool. I am hoping to finish my four year degree the same year my oldest does. She's 23 now and cruising on her junior year but she's added a double major so there's hope for me. :D

Lol sweet. My mom's talking about transferring to a four year...but she is not sure.

Elwolf
01-05-2009, 01:31 AM
I got my username from one of my novels. Elwolve is not a very creative name, I know, but they are sort of like werewolves. Different sort of shaped head, though. I was having a "can't-really-think-today" day, the day I joined. I am graduating high school in 2009 also!

Silver King
01-05-2009, 03:38 AM
...I wish I could change it.
A Supermod or Admin can help with changing your username.

You could seek out Roger (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/member.php?u=492), who is very helpful in such matters. If you have a new handle selected, and it's not in use here, the switch should be painless and swift, and all of your previous posts will be applied to the new username.

brokenfingers
01-05-2009, 04:02 AM
Well, like many here, I just decided to go with the name my parents gave me.

Captshady
01-05-2009, 04:14 AM
Well, like many here, I just decided to go with the name my parents gave me.

And here I was thinking your girlfriend gave you that name. :poke:

Matera the Mad
01-05-2009, 07:14 AM
Hmm...there I was, back in April 2003, staring at the little slots to put username and all that good stuff in (not here!), and I thought -- I need a new nick. Um...think-think-think... Various circumstances of the moment suggested Mother Earth. The Latin for mother is mater, so I decided to make a name out of it -- Matera. Before long I had so much nutty shtuff going on in a thread I started that I renamed it Matera's Madhouse, and myself Matera the Mad.

That's the sanest explanation I have :D

eyeblink
01-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Mine is the title of a novel I started about ten years ago, which stalled. One day I'll go back to it.

I post under my real name elsewhere on the Net (mostly film-related forums) but decided to use a pseudonym here just for the sake of it.

Mela
01-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Mela is the name of one of the original 8 reindeer in my YA novel about the origins of Santa Claus - the book dealt with how Nicholas met the reindeer.

So in my fantasy world the original eight are: Jemu, Amurga, Aitai, Ialei, Mela, Benga, Honalo and Siratai, who give birth to: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donder and Blitzen.

escritora
01-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Everyone has unique reasons. Mine is boring. Escritora is author in Spanish.