Where did your username come from?

SusanH

Registered
Reaction score
I was in the 'Watch'a doin' this very moment' thread and Shadow-Ferrett was thinking about changing his username and I became curious why we use the handles we do. So I'll start.

EMERITA: Latin for 'woman who has achieved great honor'

[I have gone through my own personal hell and survived by the skin of my teeth]

I am Susan. I have used Emerita for the last seven years everywhere I go on the web. If you see Emerita, it is me.

I am an amature costumer with StarWars 501st group and the Jedi Assembly. Everyone calls me Em, even when we get together for our troops all over the country for chairty and reunions at Dragon Con every year. A few people in the groups don't even know my real name because I am always Em or Emmy and that is what I amswer to.

Next.....

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
The Thinker is from "The X-Files". It's been my username/handle/e-mail since, oh, 1997.

42 - if you have to ask...you're not one of the cool kids.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
The Thinker is from "The X-Files". It's been my username/handle/e-mail since, oh, 1997.

42 - if you have to ask...you're not one of the cool kids.
Umm... is that the year you were born? :ROFL:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I stole the first name Maryn from a kindergarten compatriot of our daughter, now an adult. I liked it and thought I would publish under it when and if I used a pseudonym, with a surname unrelated to my real name. (I never use my real name online. One stalker in my past was enough.)

Not every Maryn you see online is me. I assume the former kindergartner probably has an online presence.

Maryn, the copycat one

SusanH

Registered
Reaction score
I am thinking it isThinkers age. I know I watched the XFiles...I know...Roswell? or was that 52...no, I do believe it was the 40s

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Mine came from Hell.

Seriously,
Gehanna

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
Samantha is the name of one of the characters in one of my novels. Everywhere else on the net, I use my own name :)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Oh, Shadow_Ferret. ...

It's in my Day of Listening Interview, but I like to talk so I guess I can repeat it. When I first came online I joined a small chatroom and had to come up with a username. Being totally unimaginative about titles (you should see some of my WIPs. One is called "To Be Named Later" and another is "Insert Title Here"). Well, I had ferrets at the time and The Ferret just popped into my head. I used that on a few other forums until I came to EZboard and someone else had taken The Ferret (even though the jag was inactive, I still couldn't use it!) so I melded the Ferret with my favorite character from the pulps, The Shadow (because that username was ALSO taken). And came up with Shadow Ferret. I'm Shadow Ferret nearly everywhere on the webs EXCEPT for the XBox 360 forums. That's someone else.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My late cat, Reggie used to follow me like a dog. He even went for walks on a leash. He was my all time favorite pet. So I'm regdog

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
shakey was my college nickname. i earned the nickname because i was shy, bookish and kind of brainy. my boyfriend at the time--later my husband--was the complete opposite. he was a jock, popular and very social. one night we were at a bar drinking with his crowd. i wanted to show everyone that i could be fun despite my gpa--so i jumped on the table. i really have no head for alcohol. of course the table overturned, pitchers of beer flew in every direction and we were asked to leave. shakey shannon--the name kind of stuck after that---s6

Last edited:

Captshady

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
My first name is Kirk, and "Captain Kirk" has been a nickname for my entire life. When I first got on the internet and into chat rooms, CaptKirk and other derivitives were always already in use. I became just "Capt". After awhile, Eminem's song, "Slim Shady" came out, and I really liked it. I would have the chorus as my sign off of a channel, back in my "mIRC" days. Well I'm far from Slim, and didn't like "fat shady" so I combined the current nick with the shady. I've kept it, because it's unique, I don't get suggestions like "CaptShady2008" etc .

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
HEADDESK.

42. Meaning of life. Hitchhiker's Guide. Etc etc etc.

(The Thinker was mentioned briefly in one episode of The X-Files, one I happened to be watching while I was trying to come up with a username for a chat room. And it stuck.)

SusanH

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Shadow_Ferret. ...

I had ferrets at the time and The Ferret just popped into my head.

I have never owned a ferret although I find them fasinating. I have had...
trantulas
dogs
cats
snakes
fish
Lizards
birds
turtles
I was a rescuer if anyone is wondering. We kept all of them.
mistick_bird.gif

oh, and hamsters
rk01_rotola.gif

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
I'm Beach Bunny, because I love the beach.

From wikipedia:
A beach bunny is a general American popular culture term for a young woman who spends her free time at the beach. In surf culture it may also refer to a female surfer. Bunnies are known for the amount of time they spend sun tanning and are usually represented wearing bikinis.[1]

Actually, I prefer playing on the beach to suntanning. :)

Umm... is that the year you were born? :ROFL:

No, that's the number of days you'll have to spend in the hospital if you keep it up...

:ROFL::popcorn:

Ziljon

Tortilla di Patate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daviddepalo.com
Ziljon is the name of a giant dragonfly from my novel. He tough.:guns:

Duncan couldn’t keep his eyes off the big dragonfly. Ziljon was walking so they could all talk together, and from time to time Duncan would brush up against his outstretched wings; translucent and the color of blue coral. They were surprisingly delicate for the power they could exert. The dragonfly seemed to be enormously strong. Duncan had seen him lift an old fallen tree from the path, holding it with his six spiny legs and flying it out of the way as though it were nothing more than a twig.

SusanH

Registered
Reaction score
I'm Beach Bunny, because I love the beach.

Cool! I live at a beach, but I gave up beach sunning 30 years ago except walking on it.....sun ruined my skin and I am fighting the damage everyday.....sigh.....

SusanH

Registered
Reaction score
Ziljon is the name of a giant dragonfly from my novel. He tough.:guns:

I collect Dragonflies!!! jewerly, art and such, not actual dragonflies. I see them in my yard alot...... It is amazing we all have so much in common here on the board.