This device cannot start code 10

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so quick back story, back on the twentieth I got an mp3 player for my birthday. It everythin went along fine for the first few days, until christmass morning when I connected it to my computer via usb 2.0 high speed, the cable that came with it, it wouldn't read. Upon further investigation, I got the error, "This Device Cannot Start Code 10." I have tried the steps that troubleshooting gave me. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it and I have searched for an updated version of the driver. Needless to say, they didn't work. So, to any of you that are wise in the ways of the computer, what would you suggest?

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
This might be a usb port error and not your mp3 player...however:

What operating system are you using
Ram
brand of mp3 player?

Trouble shooting takes details.

Try plugging in the MP3 player while your computer is off, then turn the computer on.

Do you have another computer to test the mp3 player on? Do so.

1) If you are using a USB cable with your device, check the cable to make sure it matches the speed of the device. Use USB 2.0 cables with USB 2.0 devices and USB 1.1 cables with USB 1.1 devices. Swap cables and check the device, if this does not work, proceed to Step 2.

2) Next, open Device Manager and look under the heading for USB Serial Bus Controllers. If there is a device with a yellow exclamation mark next to it such as USB Mass Storage Device. Double-click on the entry and check the Device Status. If the status shows something "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"...well from there it depends on what operating system you have (frankly all these steps assumes you're using windows.)

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
2) Next, open Device Manager and look under the heading for USB Serial Bus Controllers. If there is a device with a yellow exclamation mark next to it such as USB Mass Storage Device. Double-click on the entry and check the Device Status. If the status shows something "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"...well from there it depends on what operating system you have (frankly all these steps assumes you're using windows.)

That's how I found out the error, by checking under device manager. My operating system is window's xp home edition.