PDA

View Full Version : doctor who christmas special

nevada
12-26-2008, 10:06 AM
I waited so long for this. Checked the bit torrents hourly till someone posted it. Had to wait patiently for it to download.

I am so disappointed. It was tripe, stinky, undercooked tripe. How could russel T Davis write such horror. With all the possibilities in the universe that was the best he could come up with?

David Morressey was brilliant. He's the only thing that made it bearable to watch. Tenant of course was great. But I feel sorry for them to have to be in such an amateurish, fanfic-like, bad effort.Maybe it's a good thing that they're taking a break for a year. Maybe Stephen Moffat will do better. He can't do much worse.

I won't even talk about the ultra low-budget, high school costume department, shaggy dog costumes.

Zoombie
12-26-2008, 10:08 AM
._.

And the sad thing is?

I'm still probably going to enjoy it.

childeroland
12-26-2008, 10:37 AM
yeah, I've been surprised by the reviews. I liked the last few specials better than most critics; usually Davis knocks these out of the park, IMO.

scarletpeaches
12-26-2008, 02:49 PM
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
HIGHLIGHT TO VIEW SPOILER:
When he held the stethoscope up to Jackson's chest, why did he not say anything about him only having one heart? Timelords have two. Aaaaand, at the end, when the Doctor said of his companions, "They break my heart," shouldn't he have said hearts?
END OF SPOILER

Evaine
12-26-2008, 08:36 PM
Damn, I can't answer scarletpeaches without giving away the spoilers - but I don't agree.
And I liked the shaggy Cyber-beasts - a lovely look back to the old days of tiny budgets.

The scene by the grave was superb - and was filmed in Gloucester, near the cathedral. Some of my friends were doing a medieval re-enactment day round the corner, which could have been confusing!

Calla Lily
12-26-2008, 09:26 PM
:cry:
God only knows when we'll see it in the states, bad or not. And I love the old, cheesy Doctor Who shows.

:cry:

Soooo jealous of all you folks in England!

scarletpeaches
12-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Britain, thank you.

I haven't been anywhere near England for nearly two years.

dpaterso
12-26-2008, 09:41 PM
For those in the UK who missed it, it's on BBC iplayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00gd1mr/Doctor_Who_Series_4_The_Next_Doctor/

Not available from outside the UK, alas.

-Derek

scarletpeaches
12-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Wonder what the story is on the return of Torchwood?

Google is my friend...

nevada
12-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Torchwood will return with five episodes played over one week in spring. After that, who knows. It will air on BBC1. They're saying it's a way to introduce the series to the viewers. So i guess if the ratings are good, there will be a new series. but that woudl take another year to film. *sigh*

scarletpeaches
12-26-2008, 09:49 PM
I heart Captain Jack.

*sigh*

Calla Lily
12-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Britain, thank you.

Apologies, scarletpeaches. Too much Christmas yesterday. Frazzles the brain.

For those in the UK who missed it, it's on BBC iplayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00gd1mr/Doctor_Who_Series_4_The_Next_Doctor/

Not available from outside the UK, alas.

-Derek

Exactly, Derek. :cry: :rant:

dpaterso
12-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Meant to say, for trivia fans, Tennant and Morrisey starred together in the ill-fated Blackpool (http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/blackpool/). I thought they played off each other rather well.

Exactly, Derek. :cry: :rant:
If it's any consolation, we can't watch stuff on Hula.com 'cause we're outside the USA.

-Derek

Perks
12-27-2008, 03:32 AM
I enjoyed it, for all that's worth. And he could have, Scarlet, but that would have made the episode short by at least a third.

Perks
12-27-2008, 03:36 AM
Do you people in the UK know when the next special is to air?

Mr Flibble
12-27-2008, 06:40 PM
Early/ spring 2009

I slept through Dr Who ( over stiltoned). But now I understand why the new Wallace and Grommit beat it in the ratings.

kellysarah
12-28-2008, 01:17 AM
There may be spoilers ahead.

I LOVED it! Bad effects and dodgy costumes are what Dr Who is all about. DT, as usual, was superb. Dervla Kerwin (Miss Hartigan) was very very good and David Morrissey was suitably confused. I loved Rosita too, she was kick-ass and everything a companion should be. Maybe not the best story in the world, but every series has good and not-so-good episodes. And the Cyber King was pretty scary! The graphics of 19th century London were pretty awesome too.

I have Torchwood S2 on dvd, I can't wait to sit down in front of the TV and watch episode after episode after episode (and filmed in my home city, which makes it twice as fun!).

jvc
12-28-2008, 01:36 AM
I thought this episode of Doc Who was pretty standard verging on the below average for me. I think that Russell has done a great job over the last few years, but his latest writing shows that he should have gone a while back. I can't wait for Stephen Moffit to take over the helm, I've always thought his stories were brilliant.

Oh, the next episode, Planet of the Dead, will air at Easter.

Britain, thank you.

So that restraining order is working then :D

Mr Flibble
12-28-2008, 02:02 PM
So that restraining order is working then :D

After they exported Tony Blair and Gordon Brown ( Thanks. So. Much. Not.), we had to do something. Besides, SP could probably sack York all on her own :D

scarletpeaches
12-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Makes me laugh when people complain about Scottish politicians, after we've had to put up with English PMs for centuries.

And I don't hear anyone complaining about the Scottish export going by the name of David Tennant...

Mr Flibble
12-28-2008, 05:24 PM
We had to put up with them as well. And we didn't have the luxury of moaning that they were foreign dammit! They were ours, we couldn't send the buggers back.

scarletpeaches
12-28-2008, 05:24 PM
And Gerard Butler. He's one of ours, too. And James McAvoy.

Mr Flibble
12-28-2008, 05:28 PM
Sorry, none of them are my type

Now Angus Macfadyen...

scarletpeaches
12-28-2008, 05:28 PM
Oh ding dong.

Mr Flibble
12-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Of course if you don't want Daniel Craig, Clive Owen et al, I'll keep them from ravaging Scottish shores. Nooo problem. They'll be far too busy trying to stand up after I've finished with them.

scarletpeaches
12-28-2008, 05:33 PM
You can keep Clive, but Daniel? I could put up with him.

Also, the Welsh are to be congratulated on Ioan Gruffudd.

Mr Flibble
12-28-2008, 05:34 PM
And Christian Bale. Oh hell yes. No way he's going north. uh uh. Mine.

Calla Lily
12-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Early/ spring 2009

I slept through Dr Who ( over stiltoned). But now I understand why the new Wallace and Grommit beat it in the ratings.

There's a new Wallace and Gromit, too?! :Headbang: Lord only knows when we'll get THAT in the States, either.

scarletpeaches, I'll fight you for The Gerard.

Mr Flibble
12-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Nyah Nyah Nyah *dances*

To be fair, you do get all the films way in advance of us.

scarletpeaches
12-28-2008, 11:47 PM
There's a new Wallace and Gromit, too?! :Headbang: Lord only knows when we'll get THAT in the States, either.

scarletpeaches, I'll fight you for The Gerard.

I wouldn't dare take on the might of OFG.

Calla Lily
12-28-2008, 11:52 PM
Except horror makes OFG nervous, and I"m a horror writer who scares other horror writers. :e2teeth:

So now that you know my secret anti-OFG weapon that will eliminate her from the Claim The Gerard competition, what shall it be? Punching nun puppets at two paces?
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:YGMAQz7kdEorjM:http://www.mcphee.com/pixlarge/09769.jpg

scarletpeaches
12-28-2008, 11:53 PM
How about I get vaguely back on topic and say I'd rather have the Tennant? :D

Calla Lily
12-29-2008, 12:06 AM
I'll fight you for him too. He makes me melt. :e2faint:

dpaterso
12-29-2008, 12:09 AM
If it hasn't already been mentioned... does anyone have any thoughts on the music that played throughout? The distracting, inappropriate, infuriatingly loud electro-orchestra music that underlined every breathless dramatic second of every breathless dramatic scene?

True story, there's this guy who plays an accordion near the local supermarket, only he can't actually play at all, he just hits random notes and pretend chords, very slowly, all the while smiling like a loon, causing bewildered passers-by to drop coins into his open accordion case.

I'm convinced this is the guy who writes that music.

-Derek

nevada
12-29-2008, 12:29 AM
YES!!!! THe music was horrible. Like the guy who plays the organ at the silent movies. Really drawing attention to every close up, every little thing that happens with an agonizing crescendo of notes. bad all around.

scarletpeaches
12-29-2008, 12:31 AM
If it hasn't already been mentioned... does anyone have any thoughts on the music that played throughout? The distracting, inappropriate, infuriatingly loud electro-orchestra music that underlined every breathless dramatic second of every breathless dramatic scene?

True story, there's this guy who plays an accordion near the local supermarket, only he can't actually play at all, he just hits random notes and pretend chords, very slowly, all the while smiling like a loon, causing bewildered passers-by to drop coins into his open accordion case.

I'm convinced this is the guy who writes that music.

-Derek

I never noticed the music. I really didn't.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-29-2008, 12:41 AM
I wouldn't dare take on the might of OFG.

Congratulations... you are my first full-fledged minion... I may have to create a badge for you... Minion of OFG.

Bwahahahahahaha!

Except horror makes OFG nervous, and I"m a horror writer who scares other horror writers. :e2teeth:

So now that you know my secret anti-OFG weapon that will eliminate her from the Claim The Gerard competition, what shall it be? Punching nun puppets at two paces?

Dream on. OFG ain't nearly so nervous as she might appear... :roll:

aadams73
12-29-2008, 08:12 PM
I can see the t-shirt now: "I shagged Gerard Butler and all I got was OFG's boot print on my forehead.":D

Sophia
01-14-2009, 12:31 AM
I've been very disappointed with Doctor Who for a while, and had the Christmas special sitting on Sky Plus as I felt I needed to 'make' myself watch it. I finally watched it this week, and thought it was quite good. I loved David Morrissey's character in particular. I think what appealed to me was having an older, mature character interacting with the Doctor. Their relationship was interesting to me as it seemed to be more like a friendship based on respect and shared values and interests, between two people who would plausibly choose to be friends if they had met in another situation. I'd love to see the Doctor given an older, male companion for a season, for the different viewpoint it would give us of his personality to what we've seen recently.

priggy
01-14-2009, 12:40 AM
I liked the xmas special although there were parts that weren't great but i'm going to be trying to keep tennant's last stories special.
I take it you have heard who the new who is?

How many of you have to wait until it is uploaded to see it?

Kathleen42
01-14-2009, 01:05 AM
I loved the Christmas Special. Kitty cybers and David Morrisey. Thought it was refreshing after the last Christmas special and helped me get some of the angst I was feeling after Journey's End out of my system.