Chocolate Cake Lovers--Need old recipe from 60's or 70's

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
Back in the 60's and 70's Hershey had a cake recipe on the can that called for both baking soda and baking powder, as well as buttermilk. It used cocoa and always turned out delicious--one of the best cakes I've ever eaten. I saved the box for years and then somehow had a memory burp and forgot and tossed it out. Does anyone have the recipe I'm thinking about?

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
This one doesn't call for baking powder 'cause it's in the All-Purpose flour, but it does call for buttermilk and baking soda... and it's hands-down the very best chocolate sheet cake I've ever, ever, EVER eaten.

Did I say it was good?

Well... it's the best.

I can't tell you in words how good it is... I'd be banned, or locked up, or - at the very least - someone would have to throw a bucket of ice water on me or something.

Oh! Linky. :)

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Susie. that one is close.

OFG, that recipe link leads to one I'm definitely going to try. Sounds wonderful!

smoothseas

Life sucks... Then ya die...
Registered
Reaction score
yawn... in da land of the terminally bored.
Hey, Keyboard. I found this link for you and think it's the recipe you want. Hope so anyway. It has everything you mentioned. Hope it's the one you need and you can serve me a piece. :D Merry Christmas!

http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipes/detail.asp?id=184

Thanks, Suz,

Now bookmarked in the 'to be tried' file.

Went to WalMart yesterday and found that Hershey's now has DARK CHOCOLATE cocoa powder in a tin. Yeah!!!

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Went to WalMart yesterday and found that Hershey's now has DARK CHOCOLATE cocoa powder in a tin. Yeah!!!

I've only ever used Dutch Cocoa powder which is unsweetened so that would be dark right? I dont understand the concept of dark chocolate cocoa powder. you mean the regular hershey's cocoa powder is not like dutch cocoa powder? I had no idea.

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
I did try Suzie's suggestion and it was my cake!! They inhaled over half of it the night I fixed it and the rest was gone by next day. Now that the holidays are over, I've got to get one baked for me.

It's wonderful! I still intend to try out Old Fashioned Girl's recipe. It sounds delicious.

chrislee2482

Registered
Reaction score
thanks for all friends took part in this thread...i am a great fan of chocolate and cooking is my hobby but im not a good cook...i used try the recipes and i make chocolate...thanks for giving the link....