Lots of Ice and Icebergs ..........

GavinPreacher

Registered
Reaction score
So, Antarctica usually seems to be the go-to place for remote places when you are doing a story that has lots of ice, cold and icebergs and such. Do you know of any other places that one might find those same things; more specifically i am looking for a place where one might be doing doing deep ice drilling and come across something frozen in a block of ice.

Any suggestions.

if it has to be antarctica, so be it but i wanted to see what you guys might know first. I know using google is a good reference point but i guess i am lazy and thought someone here might happen to know of such a place.

thanks guys

Greg

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you considered using a glacier? In that case, you have many choices of location. Plus, in the past there really has been all sort of "stuff" discovered in glaciers because of the way a glacier acts; it sort of "rotates" as it moves.

Last edited:

GavinPreacher

Registered
Reaction score
Sure, a glacier would also work. It would kind of knock the drilling idea out, i think, but a glacier would have the possibility to hold what i want to be there. Unless, of course, there is a place that has packs of glaciers that go below land level, where i could then still have the drilling being done. Unless there is the possibility that one could be drilling into glaciers looking for alternative sources of oil.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Or drilling for thermal energy, such as used in Iceland.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Siberia. Thousands of square miles of permafrost, lots of oil and gas and a history of finding frozen things like mammoths

GavinPreacher

Registered
Reaction score
Say what?

Say what? Thermal energy drilling and Iceland? If i was to google this, would i get enough hits to do some research on?

thanks for the suggestion.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Siberia is a good idea; plus it adds a bit of mystery. Just the thought of Siberia brings all sorts of things to mind.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Say what? Thermal energy drilling and Iceland? If i was to google this, would i get enough hits to do some research on?

thanks for the suggestion.
I'm no expert, but Iceland gets a lot of it's energy from thermal. I have no idea how much drilling they have to do to use it.

GavinPreacher

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, yes

The Siberian wilderness. You know, it's funny i thought initially of Siberia and it came and went without me even giving it more than a passing thought. Siberia, lots of Ice, lots of places for drilling, lots of chunks of ice that could contain god knows what.

I like it. Time to stop being lazy and sit down and do some research.

thank you guys

Greg

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
If you're looking for ice, the Greenland Icecap is 3 miles thick and melting fast. Scientists are always boring holes in the ice to get samples of the ice from thousands of years ago.
There's also sveral icecaps and glaciers on Ellesmere Island (just west of Greenland). Try Google Earth and look around up north, it's fascinating territiory.

Miguelito

Filled with optimism. And scotch.
Registered
Reaction score
If you're looking for ice, the Greenland Icecap is 3 miles thick and melting fast. Scientists are always boring holes in the ice to get samples of the ice from thousands of years ago.
There's also sveral icecaps and glaciers on Ellesmere Island (just west of Greenland). Try Google Earth and look around up north, it's fascinating territiory.
This. The ice cap on Greenland has been around several million years so if you're looking for something that's been buried a long time, this is a possibility.

Or, as an alternative, how about finding something at the bottom of a subglacial lake? Big ones exist under miles of ice (like Lake Vostok in Antarctica). Maybe somehow get a rover down there and search through the waters.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
There's more geography than people realize around the Arctic Circle.
Look at a map, then check out the CIA World Factbook.

Mumbleduck

Quackin' up.
Registered
Reaction score
Regarding the Greenland suggestion, if you wanted to go with an island in the Arctic, but wanted something less well-known than that (maybe for the purposes of artistic licence?) there's also the Canadian Arctic Archipelago to consider, though I'm mostly only suggesting it to give props to both my adopted country, and the word 'archipelago'.

Last edited: