PDA

View Full Version : Query Quandary

awhyley
12-24-2008, 04:27 AM
Good afternoon all,

I originally posted this in the query letters & synopsis portion of the board,
(http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3097159&posted=1#post3097159 )
however, it was suggested that I bring my query to you guys and gals;

I have a question that I need answered, pertaining to my non-US status.

I was (and still am a little) hesitant about seeking US work since I figured that most, if not all, agents would prefer working with US or moreso North American authors. I'm from the Caribbean; The Bahamas to be exact, and I am hoping that with the technology available (internet, webcam, etc.), that this will not be the obstacle that it once was.

My question though is whether I should include this upfront in my query letters? I have all of the necessary business requirements, i.e. SSN (I was schooled in the US), US bank account, postal address along with a US phone line for ease of communication. I am hoping that this would be a plus and that an agent would be more willing to work with me because of it, however I don't want to offend any by assuming that they would want to automatically work with me.

So, any takers? Should I include this in the letters, or wait for them to contact me (if they ever do), and then drop the bomb? Any non-US writers out there? Thanks in advance.

So, any takers on this side of the forum? *bats eyelashes*

Stacia Kane
12-24-2008, 05:46 AM
I'm an American currently living in the UK and I put that in my query letters, just a brief sentence in the last paragraph. So I say go ahead and mention it. Something like "After growing up in the US I moved to the Bahamas, where I currently live."

You don't have to mention it at all--it really won't matter, most likely--but for me, since my UK address was on the MS I figured I'd clarify right up front that I am NOT English, so don't expect an accent. :)

IceCreamEmpress
12-24-2008, 09:33 PM
In the other thread, we suggested that you contact members here who have agents in countries other than their own. It's not unusual, even when their home country has a publishing industry: for instance, Toothpaste is a Canadian with UK agents; Nakhlasmoke is a South African with US agents; and there are others.

Since US agents know that the Bahamas doesn't have a significant publishing industry, they won't bat an eyelash at hearing from you.

awhyley
12-30-2008, 02:33 AM
I just re-visited the other thread and noted your comments. Thanks so much guys (and ladies). I feel much better, knowing that my writing efforts may actually get somewhere. :)

(Now, to get those query letters out there!)