Paragraph indents

Kensington

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
How do I remove them from a Microsoft Word Document? I've done it before, but now I can't remember.

Thanks

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score
The instructions below are for Word 2003. I expect with Word 2007 the process is similar, but there will probably be differences in some of the specific details.

It depends on how you created the paragraph indents.

If you used tabs,
  1. Do Replace All, changing ^p^t to ^p
  2. Ifyou want to insert an extra blank line between paragraphs at the same time, instead change ^p^t to ^p^p
If you used paragraph formatting,
  1. Use Ctrl-A to select your whole document
  2. On the Menu bar click Format, then Paragraph...
  3. Change Indention from First Line to None
If you used styles,
  1. On the Menu bar, click Format, then Styles and Formatting...
  2. Once the sidebar opens up, look down the list for Normal. (Unless you called your ordinary text style by some other name, in which case look for that.)
  3. Hover your mouse over the paragraph mark at the far right. When it turns into a down arrow, click Modify...
  4. In the window that pops up, look at the bottom left. Click the Format button, then Paragraph...
  5. From there, it's basically the same as described above for paragraph formatting

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
You may have created a new style if you are set up for manuscripts (First line indent and double space.) If that's the case, look for that style and then follow Fennel's instructions.
There should be a checkbox at the bottom of the form that asks if this change is for 'This document only' check yes, otherwise you will need to go through this to change it back when you want to write novels.

Kensington

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
If you used paragraph formatting,
  1. Use Ctrl-A to select your whole document
  2. On the Menu bar click Format, then Paragraph...
  3. Change Indention from First Line to None

This is the way I did it. However, the indentation only changes to none on the first line of the document. The remaining paragraphs are still indented. Is there a reason for this? I'm using Word 2000.

Last edited:

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score
This is the way I did it. However, the indentation only changes to none on the first line of the document. The remaining paragraphs are still indented. Is there a reason for this? I'm using Word 2000.

Did you select all the text first?

spiros

Registered
Reaction score
After selecting all your text, look at the ruler up top. Is there an upside down arrow that's a little off towards the right? If so, after selecting all the text, go to the ruler and manually drag that upside down arrow to the left so that it lines up properly with the arrow below. That should fix it.

Kensington

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
After selecting all your text, look at the ruler up top. Is there an upside down arrow that's a little off towards the right? If so, after selecting all the text, go to the ruler and manually drag that upside down arrow to the left so that it lines up properly with the arrow below. That should fix it.

I couldn't find any arrow.

spiros

Registered
Reaction score
Is the ruler showing? If not, check select "Show Ruler" or "View Ruler" (I can't remember which)

If you have the ruler showing, you should have an downward-pointing arrow at the left end of the ruler. This arrow is the indent. Upon selecting text, you then slide this arrow towards the left and the indent disappears.

I've never seen a ruler without the downward-pointing arrow. Regardless, if you don't mind losing all formatting, just save the document as plain text (.txt extension). This is, however, the nuclear option. It will remove indents but also every other formatting option you have set.

Good luck.

Kensington

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Is the ruler showing? If not, check select "Show Ruler" or "View Ruler" (I can't remember which)

If you have the ruler showing, you should have an downward-pointing arrow at the left end of the ruler. This arrow is the indent. Upon selecting text, you then slide this arrow towards the left and the indent disappears.

I've never seen a ruler without the downward-pointing arrow. Regardless, if you don't mind losing all formatting, just save the document as plain text (.txt extension). This is, however, the nuclear option. It will remove indents but also every other formatting option you have set.

Good luck.

Okay, I found the arrows. But the odd thing is as soon as I highlight the text, they disappear. And fiddling around with them without highlighted text, did not have the desired result.

spiros

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that sometimes happens with MS Word, among other peculiarities.

All right, try this. After selecting the text your entire document with CTRL+A (or EDIT menu, "Select All"), go to the FORMAT menu, and select PARAGRAPH. You should see an "Indentation" section.

Whatever the values entered there (even if they are 0) erase them and manually enter 0 (zero). Under the "Special" tab, manually select "none", even if "none" is already selected.

For some strange reason, MS Word sometimes needs to be "woken up" and reminded of certain values.

Regardless of HOW you've set up your manuscript, these steps should erase any indentation.

Good luck again,

Kensington

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, that sometimes happens with MS Word, among other peculiarities.

All right, try this. After selecting the text your entire document with CTRL+A (or EDIT menu, "Select All"), go to the FORMAT menu, and select PARAGRAPH. You should see an "Indentation" section.

Whatever the values entered there (even if they are 0) erase them and manually enter 0 (zero). Under the "Special" tab, manually select "none", even if "none" is already selected.

For some strange reason, MS Word sometimes needs to be "woken up" and reminded of certain values.

Regardless of HOW you've set up your manuscript, these steps should erase any indentation.

Good luck again,

I tried that, but like before, it only worked for the first paragraph. The remainder of the document remains indented and unchanged. :)

Kensington

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score
One more idea--the Format Painter:

1. Select the first paragraph, the one that's formatted correctly.
2. Look up on the tool bar for an icon like a paintbrush. Click it.
3. Your cursor onscreen will turn into a paintbrush. Click and hold, sweeping it across the paragraphs you want to change.
4. The paintbrush only works for one sweep, then you need to reset it. Just select any paragraph that's correct and repeat steps 2 & 3.

Warning: This will give everything the same format as the first paragraph. That means that if you have any special formatting--even italics or bold--anywhere else, it will be lost. You may want to work just a few paragraphs at a time, so you can notice where fixes are needed as you go.