PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel at AW?

truelyana
12-24-2008, 03:59 AM
Everytime I come in here, I always feel like it's too much for me in regards to having so much views open to all. I am sensitive individual, and when there are so many mixed people I can get a bit uncomfortable as I am perceptive to others minds quite easily. I do think this is a great place to exchange ideas, and to communicate though the one thing that constrains me all the time, is my ability to just be. I tend to either put on a false character, or completetly keep to myself, revealing a complete serene being-which is who I am on the inside, but to the world may mean something else. The false character is what I can be on the outside by picking up on others. This is not me at all, as it takes on a social form.

How do you all feel when you are here?

Samantha's_Song
12-24-2008, 04:12 AM
How do you all feel when you are here? ... I'm exactly the same on here as I am in real life. I can be a crabby old cow at times, I'm temperamental. I can be lots of fun at times too, and I have a really filthy mind and don't mind beng totally risqué. Shrugs. To me, people can just take me as I am or leave me be, it's no skin off my nose and won't interfere in my real life, my dreams, or my ambitions :)

sassandgroove
12-24-2008, 04:21 AM
I sometimes feel more at home here than with people in meatspace. does that make me weird?

Ken
12-24-2008, 04:25 AM
just because you are unsure of yourself at times, Truelyana, does not mean you lack character, but rather that you have integrity and don't want to just say any old thing to please others and curry favor. I say this with honesty: You are a person on this site I really like! :-)

Shadow_Ferret
12-24-2008, 04:26 AM
No, Sass. I'm the same way.

I do tend to overreact at times and take some things more seriously than they deserve. And if a thread gets too crowded I'll back out, as I would in real life.

But overall, I feel very loved and appreciated here. I wish I felt like that in real life.

Samantha's_Song
12-24-2008, 04:26 AM
Msk, I very seldom stray into Office Party myself. I was recently in a very long thread that eventually got moved into the scrapheap forum... can't remember what it's called right now though? I felt a little irked that it got moved to where everyone can scrap with each other, as the posting and replies were serious along with the fun. It didn't feel quite the same to me after it being moved.

sassandgroove
12-24-2008, 04:29 AM
thanks Ferret. I do feel overwhelmed sometimes, I often feel left out as I miss out on exciting goings on until after a thread is locked or whatever, and there is more going on than I can keep up with. But I still love it.

Ciera_
12-24-2008, 04:30 AM
I feel a little cautious here sometimes, perhaps a wee bit intimidated, simply because it is such a tightly knit community. Sure, it's ginormous, with hundreds (thousands?) of members, but there are quite a few who you can tell have been around since AW's very start, and they all know each other. It's like you've just married into a really big family, and they're friendly and warm and all, but it takes a while to carve out your own little niche and be recognized by all.
As my post count creeps upwards, I feel more and more like I belong here. So for the most part, I'm very comfortable around here, and it's just this big cushy support network that's a fun place to hang out.

Alan Yee
12-24-2008, 04:33 AM
With people at the Water Cooler and the AW chatroom, I feel like I know many of them better than I know a lot of people I see face-to-face on a regular basis. Does anyone else feel that way?

BenPanced
12-24-2008, 04:35 AM
Office Party's a cake walk in comparison to P&CE. Srsly.

Alan Yee
12-24-2008, 04:37 AM
Yeah. That's why I stay out of P&CE a lot of the time. Sometimes just reading some of the posts can be enough to make my head explode.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-24-2008, 04:57 AM
I remember when I first started lurking around AW back in 2004 - scared me so, I didn't actually join for a year. I couldn't imagine ever being comfortable enough to post... and become a 'member of the family'?! Never happen.

Right.

There are almost 27,000 members. Some are very active in the forum; some just lurk. Some never come into Office Party. Some never leave it. Some spend all their time in Politics & Current Events. Others stick to the more scholarly areas of the board, and a few cling to the sub-forum dedicated to PA.

Bottom line... AW is what you make of it. You can cower, whimpering, in a corner; you can watch quietly from afar or you can jump in with both feet while screaming 'BANANA!' and give Ray a race for the first member to reach 30,000 posts.

As long as you respect your fellow writer, there's room for you at AW.

BenPanced
12-24-2008, 05:00 AM
Did somebody say BANANA?

:hooray:
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:
:Jump:
:Guitar:

Pagey's_Girl
12-24-2008, 05:05 AM
If anything, I feel like I can be more honest here than in the offline world. Even when someone's totally disagreed with me, I've never been belittled or made to feel like my opinion is stupid or worthless. I can't say the same for real life.

DL Hegel
12-24-2008, 05:10 AM
I love AW. I like just about everybody I meet. It's a great site to post. I have some new best friends and awesome people to share my work with. Some very talented folk here AW rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

robeiae
12-24-2008, 05:18 AM
I feel pretty!
Oh, so pretty...

What?

Anyway, the toughest forum here is the music subforum. Because III is bald and cynical.

Pat~
12-24-2008, 05:32 AM
Everytime I come in here, I always feel like it's too much for me in regards to having so much views open to all. I am sensitive individual, and when there are so many mixed people I can get a bit uncomfortable as I am perceptive to others minds quite easily. I do think this is a great place to exchange ideas, and to communicate though the one thing that constrains me all the time, is my ability to just be.

Interesting post, truelyana, though I'm not sure I understand entirely what you're saying. Are you saying that you're uncomfortable because of the variety of views expressed here--because of your ability to absorb or agree with so many different opinions?

I wonder, too, if the constraint you feel against 'just being' is necessarily external--meaning, there is the possibility it is caused not by the place (AW), but by who you are and where you are in your stage of personal growth right now.

ETA: and to answer your last question, I feel like a 'writer' here. Someone who writes something that anybody could read, and who finds her thinking sharpened by the responses of all kinds of readers (even when they don't agree with me).

thethinker42
12-24-2008, 05:34 AM
I usually feel at ease here, no less so than anywhere else in my life - on or offline. I've been able to ask some pretty stupid questions, make incredibly off-the-wall comments, etc., and feel comfortable. I've made some friends, learned a lot of interesting things, and generally felt like I could let my hair down and be "me". It took me a while to feel like I was "part of the family", but that has more to do with how I am than how people treated me here. Now I do feel like I'm part of the family. Most likely the part of the family that the family doesn't talk about and tries to pretend doesn't exist, but a part of the family nonetheless. :D

I've even managed to make one very close friend on AW: Scarletpeaches and I "met" on here in early '07, and chat almost daily now on MSN IM, critique each other's writing, and generally take the piss out of each other. We've never met in real life, but I think she's a closer friend than most of my geographically close friends.

Ok, 'nough of that sappy crap. Back to your regularly scheduled snarkiness.

Susie
12-24-2008, 05:59 AM
I love your post true. I tend to stick to certain threads and I'm a member of the greeting card forum which I love. I'm the same online and offline, except online here at AW I'm much happier. I love you all and you're family to me, for real. I don't go into some of the more controversial places because I have enough 'excitement,' dealing with regular issues at home and like to be calm here, which I am most of the time. Wishing everyone a very happy holiday and that '09 will be just what you all want it to be. (((((HUGS))))).

Chumplet
12-24-2008, 06:05 AM
In the real world I sometimes feel I have to earn the approval of my peers. Sometimes I feel left out.

I never feel that way here. Sure, I don't think I have the know-how to participate in political debates, but I learn a lot when I study the threads.

Office Party seems to be my place of choice to hang out. I used to dive into discussions with both feet, but now I'm more cautious, offering advice only if I feel it'll do any good.

I have made so many online friends here, I don't think I can ever leave! Even the goofy ones who throw out half-assed comments that don't make any sense have shown me their compassionate sides. I treasure every member, even the crotchety ones.

ETA: Do you see the real me? Yup, you sure do.

Gehanna
12-24-2008, 06:40 AM
The best way for me to explain how I feel is for me to sing it. So, here it goes...

Yo! MacAllister had a farm,
Ee I ee I oh!
And on her farm she had a quirk,
Ee I ee I oh!
With a quirk-quirk here,
And a quirk-quirk there
Here a quirk, there a quirk,
Everywhere a quirk-quirk!
Yo! MacAllister had a farm
Ee I ee I oh!

Two important points to remember:

I like farms! Of all kinds. With a few exceptions, that is, but, AW is not one of them. Uh.. I just confused myself and therefore, it is important that you understand me. *grin*
I was not about to risk using the words "Old MacAllister". I may be quirky but, I'm not stupid. :tongueSincerely,
Gehanna

KTC
12-24-2008, 06:44 AM
My mask is too big for my face.

robeiae
12-24-2008, 06:51 AM
My mask is too big for my face.
No it's not.

Gehanna
12-24-2008, 07:01 AM
*points at robeiae and KTC*

I told ya..
A quirk-quirk here,
And a quirk-quirk there.

Gehanna

Beach Bunny
12-24-2008, 07:11 AM
To me, AW is just like the real world in that you have all the different personality types and mixes that you run up against in the real world. It's easier to avoid the ones that bother me here, than it is in the real world. And just like real life I've gotten hurt, angry, sad, depressed, happy and laughed a lot. I actually laugh more here than I do in the real world.

I'm also very sensitive and occasionally get my feelings hurt or upset by something someone has posted. When that happens I go running to a sympathetic mod or friend crying like a big baby. They wipe my tears, pat me on the head, then kick me in the butt. *Ouch!* OMG I just realized how many different shoulders I have sobbed on. :o

thanks Ferret. I do feel overwhelmed sometimes, I often feel left out as I miss out on exciting goings on until after a thread is locked or whatever, and there is more going on than I can keep up with. But I still love it.
Me, too. Sometimes I am so busy playing in one area that I miss other things that are going on in a different area. Add to that trying to read through the writing threads looking for pearls of wisdom.

With people at the Water Cooler and the AW chatroom, I feel like I know many of them better than I know a lot of people I see face-to-face on a regular basis. Does anyone else feel that way?
I haven't been here long enough for that to happen, yet. But, based on past experience with other forums, I do expect that will be the case for me too. :)

Snowstorm
12-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Compared to those in AW who I believe are profound, intelligent, and learned, I feel like a puppy standing on a piddle-riddled newspaper watching the big dogs frolic outside.

I don't post too often in the debates in OP and P&CE but read them and learn a great deal--from all sides. Plus, like some of the others above, I can be a bit sensitive. I'm not too thick-skinned, although with some of the constant chafing, my skin is thickening.

Madisonwrites
12-24-2008, 09:08 AM
I LOVE AW! I :heart: it here! It's awesome! :D

AmandaAcidic
12-24-2008, 09:21 AM
I used to be really comfortable here, but one day someone tore me down because I liked something they didn't and I've been a lot more hesitant lately. It's fun here, but I'm not very good at posting at serious stuff. Man candy threads, I'm your girl. P&CE threads, I stay far away from....

Fraulein
12-24-2008, 09:54 AM
I really, really like AW.

Here are some of my reasons:
One of the greatest things about AW is the lack of condescending comments. Another forum, that I used to pour my heart and soul into, has a lot of members who act like they know everything about everything and think that whatever they say is worth its weight in gold (no matter how they say it).

AW allows me to talk about issues that I usually never get to talk about it real life, because here, unlike in real life, I can pick and choose what I want to talk about- based on my interests.

I don't really like to get too involved in threads, because I can be a little too OCD at times, but for the most part, there is always something that I can chat about on AW (at any given time). :Clap:

Feiss
12-24-2008, 10:04 AM
I know how you feel. I was intimidated by this forum and lurked for a long time, but then one day I just jumped in. My heart beat faster, my face got red (not because of the excessive wine drinking the precluded all this), and a day later I got a response on my first posted poem. Now, I'm still not 100% comfortable, but more and more I'm realizing that no matter what kind of scuffles you get into here, if you work things out reasonably, the other members will be warm and understanding about it. I'm really grateful to be here. Sharing my work has given me confidence to finally submit some work today. Being with other writers, all of whom really know what they're talking about gives me confidence to try and send my work into a more formal avenue. It makes me feel like there are people out there who give a damn about what I have to say.

When I get on this forum, I feel potential, like it's a long winding road just waiting for me to travel.

Yeshanu
12-24-2008, 11:48 AM
I remember when I first started lurking around AW back in 2004 - scared me so, I didn't actually join for a year. I couldn't imagine ever being comfortable enough to post... and become a 'member of the family'?! Never happen.

Right.

There are almost 27,000 members. Some are very active in the forum; some just lurk. Some never come into Office Party. Some never leave it. Some spend all their time in Politics & Current Events. Others stick to the more scholarly areas of the board, and a few cling to the sub-forum dedicated to PA.

Bottom line... AW is what you make of it. You can cower, whimpering, in a corner; you can watch quietly from afar or you can jump in with both feet while screaming 'BANANA!' and give Ray a race for the first member to reach 30,000 posts.

Some points: I'm one of those members that's been around "forever." Here is one of my homes. I can say that I'm very similar in face-to-face situations as I am here, but I've had a lot of practice at it.

Second point: When I joined, there were fewer than two thousand members. Now we have numbers that would make us a small city or very large town in meatspace terms. With growth like that, it's understandable that the longer-term inmates have developed a special closeness. We've been friends and confidantes for well over five years now. I've confessed some things to folks on this board that I've never confessed to my meatspace friends, simply because we've shared so much. But that doesn't mean that we're not open to welcoming new friends. I have some very good friends on this board who I only got to know well last month during NaNo. I look forward to making more friends as I continue to interact on this board.

Third point: At 27 thousand members, we do in some ways resemble a large town or small city. Who you know on this board, and who you interact with, depends in a large part on where you tend to post, just as who you know in a large town or small city depends on where you shop, eat, work, go to school, church, etc. The good thing about this is we have enough variety on this board so that pretty much everyone, with a little effort, should be able to find a friend or two.

Final point: The race to beat Ray to 30,000 posts was won a couple of weeks ago, and not by Ray (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/member.php?u=13824). :D

Mythical Tiger
12-24-2008, 03:09 PM
I feel that I can be accepted here.... I love to write and read, and I don't know anyone else who does in real life(except one). I'm often called a freak and hated for my imagination:o. I believe in mythical creatures and outta here things. I'm often mute everything out just to let my imagination take over. I have lost a friendship a couple months ago just because I was 'weird' and, apparently, a bitch. Yet what makes me laugh is how kids my age[14] are so immature, and are quick with rumors. Everyone thinks I'm lazy and do nothing with my spare time but eat. Just because I'm built differently. Yet I'm the fastest kid in my class, I'm the most creative, best reader, and the funniest[they hate it when I get them to laugh:D] I'm not ashamed of myself just because other kids try to make me be. I'm proud of myself and I know I always will be. I'm different than them, I don't make fun of kids like they do when I get the chance and try to be accepted, I defend them and tell the jerks to grow up. Even if the kids that are getting made fun of are ass's to me. I'm accepted by my real friends who love me for me:Hug2:. I'm special, I'm a writer, I love to read, I'm weird, I'm loving[for those I waste my breath for], I'm active, I'm a nerd, I laugh a lot, and I don't give a damn what everyone else thinks. For me, thats what makes life worth living. My qualities:Thumbs:~~~

So, have I made everyone here in AW fall asleep:sleepy:? Awwww I love you guys, who wants some cookies?

quickWit
12-24-2008, 05:53 PM
One of the greatest things about AW is the lack of condescending comments.

That's adorable. :)

Susie
12-24-2008, 06:55 PM
I feel that I can be accepted here.... I love to write and read, and I don't know anyone else who does in real life(except one). I'm often called a freak and hated for my imagination:o. I believe in mythical creatures and outta here things. I'm often mute everything out just to let my imagination take over. I have lost a friendship a couple months ago just because I was 'weird' and, apparently, a bitch. Yet what makes me laugh is how kids my age[14] are so immature, and are quick with rumors. Everyone thinks I'm lazy and do nothing with my spare time but eat. Just because I'm built differently. Yet I'm the fastest kid in my class, I'm the most creative, best reader, and the funniest[they hate it when I get them to laugh:D] I'm not ashamed of myself just because other kids try to make me be. I'm proud of myself and I know I always will be. I'm different than them, I don't make fun of kids like they do when I get the chance and try to be accepted, I defend them and tell the jerks to grow up. Even if the kids that are getting made fun of are ass's to me. I'm accepted by my real friends who love me for me:Hug2:. I'm special, I'm a writer, I love to read, I'm weird, I'm loving[for those I waste my breath for], I'm active, I'm a nerd, I laugh a lot, and I don't give a damn what everyone else thinks. For me, thats what makes life worth living. My qualities:Thumbs:~~~

So, have I made everyone here in AW fall asleep:sleepy:? Awwww I love you guys, who wants some cookies?

You have such a great attitude, MythicalDawn. It's super and bet someday you'll be a famous author and the other kids will all be envious of you! :Hug2:

HeronW
12-24-2008, 07:32 PM
There's a place for everything here: I can bitch in PC&E, I can think up quickie zingers in the Games and Exercises, share loves and hates on movies, music & books, send raspberrys to friends on Office Party, find stuff out in Ask an Expert, commiserate in Writing Novels, feed another muse in Poetry, celebrate in Goals, etcetcetc.

I may not agree with everyone here & vice versa and that's okay. Rock on, AW!

Don
12-24-2008, 07:39 PM
I feel like this (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125369). AW is a wonderful haven for writers. Like any small town, it has its characters, though. :D

truelyana
12-24-2008, 08:17 PM
If I understand the post correctly, I'd say I feel very similar.
I love AW for all there is to learn here, and I plan on staying as an active member for as long as they'll have me. :)
But...
I don't feel as comfortable with the social aspects of it- mainly Office Party.
Funny, I loved the Office Party when I first joined, looked forward to sitting down and having fun with everyone. And given my real world personality, one would think the Office Party would be right up my alley as I love to have fun, tell jokes, laugh, etc...
However... I guess I am a touch sensitive (and pick up on others sensitivities too easily), so I have taken to staying out of the Office Party for the most part.
As far as a false character, I don't think I've seen my real personality come through on any of my posts. (And that inability to communicate the real person may not be a good thing for someone who has aspirations of being a writer lol)
All of that being said, that isn't a slam to any of my old Office Party friends. It's a personal decision due to my own sensitivities.
Party on, guys! :)

I am the same as you, I don't feel comfortable in the Office Party neither. I think that is one of the places where I hide into myself, as social chat has never really interested me. Though in saying that I am also like you on the note that when I joined, I felt right at home in here.

I sometimes feel more at home here than with people in meatspace. does that make me weird?

That doesn't make you anything. It's nature, as it is how you feel. :Hug2:

just because you are unsure of yourself at times, Truelyana, does not mean you lack character, but rather that you have integrity and don't want to just say any old thing to please others and curry favor. I say this with honesty: You are a person on this site I really like! :-)

Thanks Ken. :)

Right.

It sure is a very enticing place isn't it! And my it has grown, I know I have not been here that long neither, but it feels like so many movements have gone on, that it's just amazing to watch people grow within the forum. :)

Interesting post, truelyana, though I'm not sure I understand entirely what you're saying. Are you saying that you're uncomfortable because of the variety of views expressed here--because of your ability to absorb or agree with so many different opinions?

I wonder, too, if the constraint you feel against 'just being' is necessarily external--meaning, there is the possibility it is caused not by the place (AW), but by who you are and where you are in your stage of personal growth right now.

ETA: and to answer your last question, I feel like a 'writer' here. Someone who writes something that anybody could read, and who finds her thinking sharpened by the responses of all kinds of readers (even when they don't agree with me).

Hello Pat,

What I shared was applied to what I was feeling at that moment, wasn't so much about uncertainty, was just how I was feeling in regards to being absorbed by everyones beliefs, opinions and character, that I felt pushed into a corner, as I am not much of a character myself as I don't have strong opinions or any beliefs. The 'being' is something I was battling with the mind. What I wrote was another step of that journey which has led me into this current moment.

I joined AW because of the writer perspective and because I loved writing, and the writing aspects of it. I think I got sidetracked at some point, when I begun to realise again that writing is my expressional gateway to who I am, and not so much so the tool for story.

I know how you feel, and it's great that you are happy with who you are. :Hug2: We all like you too. You are an integral part of the writing world. I wish you the very best, with all that you create. :)

pconsidine
12-24-2008, 08:37 PM
Hmmm...interesting question. I joined AW when it was still an EZBoard site and an awful lot has changed since then, as much with me as with AW. For one, though I still write, I don't have any aspirations to being a capital-W Writer anymore, which definitely changes my relationship to this place. I guess it's more than just a place to find support from other writers. It's as much a place to talk about what writers talk about, which is pretty much everything.

I also tend to identify myself as overly empathic, so I can also have trouble with the variety of people and opinions around here, but I've found a way to interact with the site (and its members) that minimizes that problem. But am I the same person here that I am in real life? Yes and no. The person I am here is probably the person that you would get to know after repeated encounters in real life (I'm really skittish around new people), but not everyone gets the chance to get to that point. I figure that's okay, though.

Gravity
12-24-2008, 08:50 PM
I love you all. Truly. Every man-jack and woman-jill of you. Now if I could only get Haskins to pay me back for that time I settled his bar bill, I'd be the happiest man in Christendom...

William Haskins
12-24-2008, 08:57 PM
i never asked you to kill that bartender. sure, i suggested it, maybe even gave you a drawn up plan and a weapon, but i always considered it a favor.

for you to throw it back in my face on christmas eve is just wrong.

jennifer75
12-24-2008, 09:00 PM
I feel and act like me. I lack the imagination to be anything else but me. ;)

williemeikle
12-24-2008, 09:24 PM
The title of this thread made me think of a -very- old joke, and a good one for writers as it relies on wordplay.

The punchline is "Where do I go to get felt?"

You can fill in the rest yourself :)

Ganymede
12-24-2008, 09:41 PM
The title of this thread made me think of a -very- old joke, and a good one for writers as it relies on wordplay.
The punchline is "Where do I go to get felt?"

<Random>

Ah, the reason I could never work in an arts and crafts store...

"Happy Holidays, miss. Did you go get felt on Aisle 4? Hey, no, I was SERIOUS." *Smack* "Ow, wait, that wasn't what I meant either--"

</Random>

As for AW, I tend to stick to writing threads. I don't understand Office Party at all, but then again, I never understood them at work, either. :)

tinselcleo
12-24-2008, 11:13 PM
"Lost" for the last several months describes me pretty well. AW is massive. I've been a member for almost a year and only last week started to read office party threads. There's just too much great information hidden around here and I love finding a jem. I'm not a big poster, and lurk so much more than I write....but I love the games section. And after I found the Scifi/fantasy section, it's like , "woah - there are others who think like me!"
I feel at home on this board as I do on a local board where I have plenty of friends and I hope someday to be able to call some of the unique voices on here friends as well :)

SusanH
12-24-2008, 11:34 PM
All I know is I want to be published. I had no idea how to do it. I sent out queries that were horrible because I didn't know any better. I was led here and I felt such a load lifted. I learn something new everytime I come here. Everyone is so gracious, honest and down to earth. The admin and mods make me feel safe. I feel I can ask a question and not be called stupid. I love it here.

I have 24 websites I use to regularly visit. Now I come here and three others. I have submersed myself in my writing and I wish I could write all day long.

I know I can come here and get honest advise. I have started my second ms and I am so excited because I can't find a book exactly like it out there. I hope mine will be a first. I wouldn't be where I am today as a new writer without this site http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/Emerita/Smilies/lovethissite.gif

astonwest
12-24-2008, 11:59 PM
It reminds me a lot of high school.

A handful of friends, but most of the folks would rather I just go away because I don't fit in with the crowd.

But overall, I've learned a lot (about writing), so I stick around anyway.
:)

SusanH
12-25-2008, 12:06 AM
Why would anyone want you to go away?..... I am an outsider myself and can tend to be a hermit most of the time....but here we are all on equal footing unless we can't type..... I haven't noticed any clicks yet. I know alot of the time no one converses with me, but I am very new and no one has gotten to know me yet.....

I'll be your friend......

ok, I know, that sounded a little weird... http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/Emerita/Smilies/overclocking.gif ok, Em...go away.

astonwest
12-25-2008, 04:34 AM
Oh, don't get me wrong. It's a great place.
I'd probably do best to stay out of P&CE though... :)
I like to stir things up from time to time.

maestrowork
12-25-2008, 07:58 AM
That's adorable. :)

A simple "up you're's" would suffice.

Polenth
12-25-2008, 08:36 AM
I find reading forum posts relaxing. I find being in crowds listening to people relaxing too, but the sound quickly gets too much for me. Online forums have the best of both worlds... noise without sound.

I don't feel a need to post tons of stuff though. I don't post enough to really get to know people here.

Cassiopeia
12-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Everytime I come in here, I always feel like it's too much for me in regards to having so much views open to all. The vastness of the forum can be intimidating and perhaps it would be better to limit your exposure to certain sections.
I am sensitive individual, and when there are so many mixed people I can get a bit uncomfortable as I am perceptive to others minds quite easily. I'm not completely certain what you mean by perceptive to others minds but a word of caution: Remember this is a venue that limits verbal and nonverbal cues to help you get the whole picture. You may think you understand someone who is posting and be completely off the track. I'm going to be open here and say that I butted heads with two people who I just adore now. I consider them my friends and I value their opinions.
However, the beginning that wasn't the case. So you just don't always know.

I do think this is a great place to exchange ideas, and to communicate though the one thing that constrains me all the time, is my ability to just be. I tend to either put on a false character, or completetly keep to myself, revealing a complete serene being-which is who I am on the inside, but to the world may mean something else. The false character is what I can be on the outside by picking up on others. This is not me at all, as it takes on a social form.

How do you all feel when you are here?As for just being you...you have a choice. You can worry about how people will receive you or you can let them worry about that and just enjoy yourself. Honestly, it can be easily misunderstood when passing posts back and forth and I promise you, people here are forgiving and more than willing to keep you a part of this wonderful family.

That is, well except for FERRET FACE! I'll get you, I promise you. You have to sleep sometime you furball!

*composes herself* It's a family thing ;)

SusanH
12-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Well, Aston....that's what keeps us on our toes, I would say...... http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/Emerita/Smilies/oregonian_teehee.gif

SusanH
12-25-2008, 07:07 PM
I don't feel a need to post tons of stuff though. I don't post enough to really get to know people here.

As long as what you say has meaning it doesn't matter how much you post, we will get to know you. http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/Emerita/Smilies/Drogar-HappyLBG.gif

Shadow_Ferret
12-25-2008, 07:50 PM
What the hell did I do to Cass?

Beyotch. :tongue

truelyana
12-25-2008, 08:06 PM
The vastness of the forum can be intimidating and perhaps it would be better to limit your exposure to certain sections. I'm not completely certain what you mean by perceptive to others minds but a word of caution: Remember this is a venue that limits verbal and nonverbal cues to help you get the whole picture. You may think you understand someone who is posting and be completely off the track. I'm going to be open here and say that I butted heads with two people who I just adore now. I consider them my friends and I value their opinions.
However, the beginning that wasn't the case. So you just don't always know.

As for just being you...you have a choice. You can worry about how people will receive you or you can let them worry about that and just enjoy yourself. Honestly, it can be easily misunderstood when passing posts back and forth and I promise you, people here are forgiving and more than willing to keep you a part of this wonderful family.

That is, well except for FERRET FACE! I'll get you, I promise you. You have to sleep sometime you furball!

*composes herself* It's a family thing ;)

I can pick up on what people are thinking, and how they are feeling easily through words. A certain part of my brain does that automatically. I am being who I am through movement, it's an ever changing world. :) There is no set goal in being, as its continous. I chose to share how I felt through language as I wanted to give you all a part of my light. :)

Cassiopeia
12-26-2008, 02:28 AM
What the hell did I do to Cass?

Beyotch. :tongueYou know what you did....Eddie. :tongue

*runs off leaving only the sound of her maniacal laughter behind*

Polenth
12-26-2008, 04:48 AM
As long as what you say has meaning it doesn't matter how much you post, we will get to know you. http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/Emerita/Smilies/Drogar-HappyLBG.gif

I was meaning in the close friend sense. As in someone I'd regularly talk to privately, share things about what's happening that I wouldn't share in public and other friend things.

Some people join the forum looking for close friends and feel bad when they don't find them. I didn't and I don't, so that changes how I feel about the forum. The occasional friend mushrooming would be an added bonus, but it's not something I set out to find.

I can pick up on what people are thinking, and how they are feeling easily through words. A certain part of my brain does that automatically. I am being who I am through movement, it's an ever changing world. :) There is no set goal in being, as its continous. I chose to share how I felt through language as I wanted to give you all a part of my light. :)

Empathy is great, as long as you know it isn't infallible. It's easy to let your own emotions colour it, even when you don't realise you're doing it. I had someone do that to me once... he cut off all contact on the basis of a simple "Hi, how are you?" conversation. It wasn't the words. It was the feelings he felt were behind it. But those feelings were his, not mine. He just didn't realise it.

truelyana
12-26-2008, 05:01 AM
Empathy is great, as long as you know it isn't infallable. It's easy to let your own emotions colour it, even when you don't realise you're doing it. I had someone do that to me once... he cut off all contact on the basis of a simple "Hi, how are you?" conversation. It wasn't the words. It was the feelings he felt were behind it. But those feelings were his, not mine. He just didn't realise it.

I understand. I've recently been feeling like this.