Pre-publication marketing/promotional plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

awhyley

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am doing research on marketing/promotional plans for writers, and wondered what books and other pieces of information I would find helpful. I have heard about these two books, "Guerilla Marketing for Writers", and "1001 Ways to Market your book", from this site but I need to know if there any others that could be recommended.

*This came about because as I was surfing the 'net, I came across this ad for Marcia Yudkin's sample marketing plan that cost $95 :eek:, and I'm not trying to spend that kind of money. Has anyone heard of her, muchless used this sample plan? Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.*

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any how to guide costing 95 bucks sounds like a scam to me. It's not a bloody college level book for goodness sakes.

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
"Putting Your Passion into Print" by Eckstut and Sterry has a lot on marketing, although it starts at the beginning of the process (finding and agent/publisher.)

awhyley

Registered
Reaction score
These book titles are an excellent start. Thanks much for your suggestions.

$95 sounds like alot of money IMHO as well Bahamutchild, but I've been doing some research on this Yudkin lady, and it sounds as if she may be worth her salt. She has written a few books that people here have recommended highly. (Still trying to find someone who used the actual product that I'm looking into though).

awhyley

Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering about the impact of the marketing plan in my case since I'm foreign and won't be able to do alot of the one-on-one promotional activities that I've seen recommended on this sites, as such as book signings, etc.

buttterflywilma

Registered
Reaction score
Website
schrijfeenboek.punt.nl
Book Marketing from A to Z (Paperback)
by Francine Silverman (Editor) (Author)
The Web-Savvy Writer: Book Promotion with a High-Tech Twist, Second Edition (Paperback)
by Patrice-Anne Rutledge (Author)
Plug Your Book! Online Book Marketing for Authors, Book Publicity through Social Networking by Steve Weber

The Web-Savvy Writer: Book Promotion with a High-Tech Twist by Patrice-Anne Rutledge

Book Marketing DeMystified: Enjoy Discovering the Optimal Way to Sell Your Self-Published Book, Practical advice from the inventor of print-on-demand (POD) publishing by Bruce T. Batchelor

Red Hot Internet Publicity: An Insider’s Guide to Promoting Your Book on the Internet! by Penny C Sansevieri

The Complete Guide to Book Marketing by David Cole

The Complete Guide to Book Publicity by Jodee Blanco

The Savvy Author’s Guide to Book Publicity by Lissa Warren

Author 101 Bestselling Book Publicity: The Insider’s Guide to Promoting Your Book–and Yourself by Rick Frishman, Robyn Freedman Spizman, and Mark Steisel

Grumpy’s Guide to Global Marketing for Books by Carolyn Mordecai and Stephen Adams

Publicize Your Book: An Insider’s Guideto Getting Your Book the Attention It Deserves by Jacqueline Deval

1001 Ways to Market Your Books (1001 Ways to Market Your Books: For Authors and Publishers) by John Kremer

Grassroots Marketing for Authors and Publishers by Shel Horowitz

Guerrilla Marketing for Writers : 100 Weapons to Help You Sell Your Work by Jay Conrad Levinson, Rick Frishman, and Michael Larsen

Tales of the Pack

Sex. Feminism. Lesbian Werewolves.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.talesofthepack.com
In my experience, good marketing books are as much about the organization of information as the ideas they have.
For this reason, Guerrilla Marketing was a terrible read for me- I couldn't follow the flow of info at all.
I'd recommend going to one of the big box bookstores, grabbing a coffee, and pulling every marketing book off the shelf (usually a section to itself, reference --> publishing). Most of them repeat the same ideas without adding anything new to the conversation, but if they give you one good idea, often they can be worth the $.

My favorite book for marketing ideas is Jeff VanderMeers "BookLife." He is web-savvy and doesn't talk down to you like a lot of marketing books can ("Oh, I should have a website? You don't say!"). His book explains the risks and effort required for all the various promotional tools at your disposal, and how they fit in with your personality.
Highly, highly recommended.

jonbon.benjamin

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jonbonbenjamin.blogspot.com
Subscribe to Seth Godin's Blog and look at his past posts.

He is a bit of a marketing guru and has a fantastic knack of relating old school marketing ideas to the new age world (viral and social media etc).

He will also mention a lot of books and other websites along the way so you will pick up some good tips

Also, if i can offer some advice. For the marketing side of things don't be afraid to buy a general marketing book rather one specific to writing and publishing. If you get a good idea of how marketing works then you will soon find what is and isn't relevant to your work.

jb

kafeinuhai

nom nom nom.
Registered
Reaction score
I know he's mentioned his book on these forums before, but J.A. Konrath has a FREE e-book, "The Newbie's Guide to Publishing" (or you can get it for $2.99 on your kindle to support him. or wait until you're rich and famous and then pay the $2.99. or just get it for free, he seems to be doing pretty well for himself).

I just downloaded mine; haven't read all of it yet, but it does have a big section on marketing. He's an advocate of self-publishing, but he's done the traditional route as well. Plus it's free, and clearly, this guy knows how to market his stuff.

Here's the link:

http://www.jakonrath.com/writers.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.