PDA

View Full Version : Does NY Publishing Really Shut Down for the Holidays...?

DeterminedNovelist
12-23-2008, 11:03 PM
Or is this just a myth? How much business—as in buying and selling of manuscripts—really gets done in December? Always wondered if this was a literary wife's tale.

heyjude
12-23-2008, 11:42 PM
Go to: http://jetreidliterary.blogspot.com/ and scroll down to Friday, December 19. Janet Reid says it's okay to query her right now, even though most agents are saying wait.

From what I understand, it doesn't shut down, but it moves much slower.

susangpyp
12-27-2008, 04:05 PM
I think it does slow down a lot. Some agents will still be reading new queries. Others will be taking the time to catch up on what they have. Both my agent and editor are pretty much "off" right now but if I had to reach them, I probably could.

Claudia Gray
12-27-2008, 06:53 PM
I agree with the others -- publishing doesn't shut down, but it definitely slows down. You can go ahead and act, and decisions could possibly be made, but more realistically you're looking at seeing action in January.

Danthia
12-27-2008, 06:53 PM
It doesn't shut down, but a lot of folks take the last two weeks off. My agent is gone until Jan 5, though I think my editor is working. But she mentioned how many people were out and that things were slow. We're waiting on something that probably won't happen until Jan because of that. But books do get sold and business does continue.

Many agents recommend waiting to query because they know a high percentage of those queries will sit until Jan. But there's nothing saying you can't query now, just don't expect fast responses. You could get them though, if that agent happens to be working and has little on her plate now due to the holidays.

Jennifer_Laughran
12-27-2008, 09:38 PM
My agency is closed until Jan 5. What does that mean? Well, we aren't having any meetings, and we aren't submitting anything, and some of us are on vacation. SOME of us (ahem) are at home and using this opportunity to clear our desks, and are reading. But even if I read and loved a query, and requested a full, and loved the full, and wanted to take on a new client, I would have to bring it to a meeting -- and there isn't another meeting until January. All of the editors that I know are similarly either on vacation or at home, playing catch-up.

The point is, sure, query, just be aware that nothing will probably happen with it until January at the earliest.

But anyway, what difference does it make? It's only a week!

scope
12-28-2008, 12:33 AM
Yeah, pretty much, although some agents and editors take work home with them.

MsGneiss
12-29-2008, 10:35 PM
My agent has been working through the entire holiday season. In fact, I have a phone call with her today. So, I don't think it's true for everybody. The book business definitely slows down, but so does every other business.