PDA

View Full Version : Any LIVERPOOL FC fans at AW? Anyone?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Adam Hammonds
12-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Statistically there should be. So come out and say aye. We should start a thread. I'd like a forum to talk about all things red without having to learn Scouse.

Top of the league at Christmas! YNWA!

(And anyone who doesn't know anything about English football (non-helmut variety) now's your chance: PICK LIVERPOOL! Wikipedia it! Fall in love! Follow the games and start hating the appropriate teams! Great fun.)

Thanks.
Adam

EDIT: THREAD OPEN TO ALL ENGLISH (REAL) FOOTBALL WATCHERS!

regdog
12-23-2008, 10:49 PM
Hi Adam
another Liverpool fan here

Adam Hammonds
12-24-2008, 05:59 AM
Sweet! We now officially have a group.

So did you see the Arsenal match on Sunday? Can't believe we didn't pull that one out in the second half.

I want 2 things in life: publication and a Liverpool league title.

JJ Cooper
12-24-2008, 06:29 AM
Liverpool fan here too.

JJ

regdog
12-24-2008, 03:31 PM
I did see the second half and was really disappointed with the way they played. I know Arsenal got fired up when their player was sent off but Liverpool just seemed to go into neutral.

Hey Adam, it seems we have similiar goals in life:D

MrWrite
12-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Liverpool are my second team if that counts? My dad was a huge fan and I always liked them. My main team though is Tottenham Hotspur. I promise I won't rub it in (much) that we already beat you twice this season! :D Glad you didn't lose to Arsenal though. I HATE them!
And congrats for sitting at the top of the tree over Christmas. Let's hope you're still there come May!

regdog
12-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Liverpool are my second team if that counts? My dad was a huge fan and I always liked them. My main team though is Tottenham Hotspur. I promise I won't rub it in (much) that we already beat you twice this season! :D Glad you didn't lose to Arsenal though. I HATE them!
And congrats for sitting at the top of the tree over Christmas. Let's hope you're still there come May!

Oh so now the truth comes out. All your busting my chops about Liverpool and you're a fan. :tongue

MrWrite
12-24-2008, 07:13 PM
Oh so now the truth comes out. All your busting my chops about Liverpool and you're a fan. :tongue

Yeah but when you play Spurs I'm a Spurs fan all the way! :tongue
Besides...it's FUN busting your chops! :D

regdog
12-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Yeah but when you play Spurs I'm a Spurs fan all the way! :tongue
Besides...it's FUN busting your chops! :D

:e2tongue:

MrWrite
12-24-2008, 07:26 PM
:wag::crazy::e2tongue::e2tomato::e2moon::e2moon::e 2moon::e2moon:

regdog
12-24-2008, 07:30 PM
:ROFL::roll:

MrWrite
12-24-2008, 07:37 PM
I did it didn't I? I out smilied ya! :D :hooray:

regdog
12-24-2008, 07:43 PM
I did it didn't I? I out smilied ya! :D :hooray:

:Hail::Hail::Hail::Hail::Hail:

Temporary victory (see)

:e2moon::e2moon::e2moon::e2moon::e2moon::e2moon::e 2moon::e2moon:
:e2tongue::e2tongue::e2tongue::e2tongue::e2tongue: :e2tongue:
:banana::Jump::banana::Jump::banana::Jump::banana: :Jump:

MrWrite
12-24-2008, 07:49 PM
If I wasn't at work I'd create a smilie army you wouldn't even attempt to beat! :e2tongue::e2moon:

regdog
12-24-2008, 08:22 PM
If I wasn't at work I'd create a smilie army you wouldn't even attempt to beat! :e2tongue::e2moon:

The weekend is fast approaching. I'll be waiting :roll:

MrWrite
12-24-2008, 08:27 PM
You're on! :tongue

Adam Hammonds
12-24-2008, 10:46 PM
I did see the second half and was really disappointed with the way they played. I know Arsenal got fired up when their player was sent off but Liverpool just seemed to go into neutral.

Well also, what's with Rafa's substitutions? Not very offensive, in my opinion. I would hope that an 11man team could throw the kitchen sink: take off Lucas and replace him with--God forbid!--another striker. Babel and Keane together up front, maybe, with Riera, Gerrard, and Kuyt attacking from sides and middle. I mean, really. We need to bear our teeth and jugularize in these situations.

(Copyright: jugularize, Adam Hammonds, 1:41 pm EST.)

Glad you didn't lose to Arsenal though. I HATE them!

You and me both. Although I can't say I have much room for hating Arsenal what with my feelings for Man U and Everton. So, Tottenham, huh? Okay. Well, congrats on getting a new coach in who can actually do something in this league. Jeez, that Ramos didn't do you any favors. And yeah, what's with you having our number this season? We'll have to work that out.

Happy Holidays to all the people who watch the proper sport! (Even Mancs.)

jst5150
12-24-2008, 10:47 PM
Here, though my EPL knowledge is limited.

And, I do like the joke "I'd rather walk alone."

But, Liverpool is my team. :)

Adam Hammonds
12-24-2008, 10:47 PM
And JJ -- Welcome to our little red house.

Adam Hammonds
12-24-2008, 10:49 PM
But, Liverpool is my team. :)

Good man. Happy Holidays.

I've tried walking alone. It's not as fun as with several thousand drunk singing people.

Calla Lily
12-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Our house is a constant battle between Wigan and Arsenal. Is that close enough? :D

MrWrite
12-24-2008, 10:54 PM
Our house is a constant battle between Wigan and Arsenal. Is that close enough? :D

Could be worse...it could be between Spurs and Arsenal. That would be a war! :tongue

jst5150
12-24-2008, 10:57 PM
I've tried walking alone. It's not as fun as with several thousand drunk singing people.
Here here!

Happy Holidays!

Adam Hammonds
12-24-2008, 10:57 PM

Haha. I guess so. Never heard of that particular epic battle before. Clash of in-laws or what? And where do you fall in this? Although, to be fair, they both can play some pretty darn attractive football.

Just as long as you have a healthy dislike for Man U we can be life-long friends.

Ok ok, I'm sure there are some United fans on AW; and you deserve to have friends too. And Christmases.

I guess.

Calla Lily
12-24-2008, 11:14 PM
Haha. I guess so. Never heard of that particular epic battle before. Clash of in-laws or what? And where do you fall in this? Although, to be fair, they both can play some pretty darn attractive football.

Just as long as you have a healthy dislike for Man U we can be life-long friends.

Ok ok, I'm sure there are some United fans on AW; and you deserve to have friends too. And Christmases.

I guess.

Man U is the NY Yankees of football. *dodges ice-filled snowballs from fans of both*

The older son is die-hard Wigan. The younger son is the Arsenal fan. The DH roots for Man City. *whispers* I'm afraid I don't care much for any of them. Sports, are, well, sports. Give me a good horror movie any day.

*ducks and runs*

Adam Hammonds
12-24-2008, 11:19 PM
Man U is the NY Yankees of football. * Give me a good horror movie any day.

The prospect of supporting Manchester United is a horror movie.

williemeikle
12-24-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm a Scotsman and a Rangers fan, but Liverpool are my English team to follow... dating back to the Shankly years. Haven't been to the Kop in many years now, but the memories are golden :)

Willie

regdog
12-25-2008, 12:19 AM
Man U is the NY Yankees of football. *dodges ice-filled snowballs from fans of both*

The older son is die-hard Wigan. The younger son is the Arsenal fan. The DH roots for Man City. *whispers* I'm afraid I don't care much for any of them. Sports, are, well, sports. Give me a good horror movie any day.

*ducks and runs*

:e2tongue: To both the Yankees and Man U

And speaking of the Yankees, here's hoping their big money off season signings are as successful as the signing of A-Rod **snerk**

Sarita
12-25-2008, 12:32 AM

:e2tongue: To both the Yankees and Man U

And speaking of the Yankees, here's hoping their big money off season signings are as successful as the signing of A-Rod **snerk**
Hey hey hey! Easy now! I'm a Yankees fan and a Liverpool fan.

Let's see how all you nasties deal with having to rub shoulders with ME! :D If you don't like it, I'll have Hank buy your soul and sell it to the Royals...

regdog
12-25-2008, 12:43 AM
Hey hey hey! Easy now! I'm a Yankees fan and a Liverpool fan.

Let's see how all you nasties deal with having to rub shoulders with ME! :D If you don't like it, I'll have Hank buy your soul and sell it to the Royals...

Can't scare me, you evil Empire fan. :D
My brother-in-law is also a Yankees fan, worse he converted my sister to a Yankee fan. And the beautiful irony, is one month after their daughter was born, the Sox won the World Series.

Sarita
12-25-2008, 12:44 AM
What kind of fan was she before she switched teams? Because, if she was a fan of any sort... you know, real fans don't just switch teams willy-nilly. Either that or she just succumbed to the dark side. We have cookies, ya know.

regdog
12-25-2008, 12:54 AM
What kind of fan was she before she switched teams? Because, if she was a fan of any sort... you know, real fans don't just switch teams willy-nilly. Either that or she just succumbed to the dark side. We have cookies, ya know.

My sister wouldn't have known a baseball from a Butterball before her huband got to her.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/regdog/AX9602.jpg

MrWrite
12-25-2008, 01:39 AM
Can we keep to talking about football please? There's enough baseball talk in this country! :e2tongue:

Adam Hammonds
12-25-2008, 02:13 AM
Can we keep to talking about football please? There's enough baseball talk in this country! :e2tongue:

Amen.

Adam Hammonds
12-25-2008, 02:16 AM
I'm a Scotsman and a Rangers fan, but Liverpool are my English team to follow... dating back to the Shankly years. Haven't been to the Kop in many years now, but the memories are golden :)

Willie

I'll bet they're golden. If only the Benitez years turn a fifth as successful as those old Shankly-Paisley years . . .

In honor of you we shall tack up a sign: NO CELTIC FANS ALLOWED!

regdog
12-29-2008, 12:02 AM
Where did everyone go?

Calla Lily
12-29-2008, 12:03 AM
Wigan won!

regdog
12-29-2008, 12:06 AM
Wigan won!

I saw the replay of Chelsea West Brom last night. Chelsea 2 West Brom 0
Sunderland Everton is on now Everton 2 Sunderland 0

MrWrite
12-29-2008, 01:45 AM
Where did everyone go?

I'm sulking right now! :rant: LOL

rugcat
12-29-2008, 02:06 AM
Can I admit to being a closet Chelsea fan? It started out with my hatred for Man U, but then I really started to appreciate their style of football.

On the other hand, I've always had a fondness for Liverpool. Their comeback against AC Milan in the 2005 Champions League final was a truly great moment -- unbelievable.

regdog
12-29-2008, 03:56 AM
I'm sulking right now! :rant: LOL

Spurs lose?

Can I admit to being a closet Chelsea fan? It started out with my hatred for Man U, but then I really started to appreciate their style of football.

On the other hand, I've always had a fondness for Liverpool. Their comeback against AC Milan in the 2005 Champions League final was a truly great moment -- unbelievable.

You can admit to being a Chelsea fan but you might get this in response
:wag:

But since you like Liverpool, we'll welcome you :D

Adam Hammonds
12-29-2008, 03:57 AM
Where did everyone go?

Ugh. Family. Always trying to get me to not post on AW and not watch my games.

What a day! Liverpool 5-1. What a great 90 minutes.

Yeah, that Chelsea game was fascinating. I can't believe Dempsey equalized there at the end. He's one of those American footballers I think that even English fans appreciate. It's a select group. Him along with Brad Friedal and Brian McBride.

Well, hope all you football supporters had a stomach-splitting, hearthy Christmas. I did. And I even got to watch 2 victories in three days.

Here's to the new year! (With Liverpool on top of the league)

regdog
12-29-2008, 04:00 AM
I only get the games that are on Fox Soccer Channel so I miss a lot of them. :(

I live with my aunt who only likes American football, ugh. So it's a constant battle for me to get to watch the games.

Adam Hammonds
12-29-2008, 04:10 AM
Yep, I was deep in the frustration that is FSC-only for quite some time. Then I manned up and ordered Setanta on Satellite ($15 is very steep for a single channel I use 4 days a month, but . . .) and I've been a happy person ever since.

I suppose you could try to find live feeds online, but the quality is still terrible. Why hasn't technology yet caught up with where I think it should be?

regdog
12-29-2008, 04:24 AM
I want to get Direct tv, their sports package has about four or five soccer channels.

You're right about the online broadcasts, they aren't very good.

I'm wondering if XM or Siruis radio have the games on

Adam Hammonds
12-29-2008, 06:36 AM
Directv'll do it. I have Dish. But the important thing is ordering Setanta. All of the English Premier League games are split evenly between FSC and Setanta. So Americans have no choice but to get both, otherwise suffer the whim of the programmers who could care less whether I see my Liverpool or not.

regdog
12-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Directv'll do it. I have Dish. But the important thing is ordering Setanta. All of the English Premier League games are split evenly between FSC and Setanta. So Americans have no choice but to get both, otherwise suffer the whim of the programmers who could care less whether I see my Liverpool or not.

Thanks good to know :D

Adam Hammonds
01-01-2009, 04:35 AM
Happy New Year to all the AWers that enjoy the beautiful game!

(and a special shoutout to Steven Gerrard who (sadly) was arrested and charged with assault after Liverpool's 5-1 demolition of Newcastle at the weekend; way to be stupid, Stevie; but good luck and come back strong!)

ReallyRong
01-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Reading fan here. Sorry to hijack your thread, but I suspect I _AM_ the only royals fan on AW. Last season was, of course, a bitter one for us that ended in relegation after the last game of the season on goal difference. A pox on Fulham. This year looks like being a happier one, and we're looking forward to welcoming the likes of Liverpool (and even Chelsea) back to the MadStad next season!

waylander
01-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Southampton in this house - because I'm from there.
Hard times for the Saints at the moment. I went to the Notts Forest match and it was just embarassing.
I work with a number of Reading fans and generally wish them well as they are the closest team to where I live.

ReallyRong
01-03-2009, 01:10 AM
Southampton in this house - because I'm from there.
Hard times for the Saints at the moment. I went to the Notts Forest match and it was just embarassing.
I work with a number of Reading fans and generally wish them well as they are the closest team to where I live.

You should have gone to the match against us instead! :) :cry:
Surprised at your poor league position, given how you performed twice against us.

Silver King
01-03-2009, 02:10 AM
This thread seems well suited for the Sports and Fitness forum, so we'll move it there and inject that board with some much needed love.

MrWrite
01-03-2009, 02:31 AM
Well the magic of the cup strikes again. We can't win a league match to save our lives but put us in a cup competition and we win! Go figure! Maybe 'Arry should tell the players to think of the Prem league as one big cup competition!

Spurs 3 Wigan 1 :D

Btw nice move putting this thread amongst all the baseball and fake football posts! ;)

waylander
01-03-2009, 03:03 AM
You should have gone to the match against us instead! :) :cry:
Surprised at your poor league position, given how you performed twice against us.

Couldn't face it after the Forest debacle.
Got any space at the Majedski?

Don't fancy our chances against Man U in the Cup

regdog
01-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Fellow Liverpool fans FA Cup Game today 12:00 on Fox Soccer Channel Liverpool at Preston

MrWrite
01-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Good luck to Liverpool.

Though I hope we don't get you in the 4th round.

Having already knocked you out of the league cup and beaten you in the Prem I don't want to push our luck any further! :D

regdog
01-03-2009, 09:52 PM
1-0 Liverpool :D

2-0 Liverpool final

waylander
01-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Everton in the next round!

MrWrite
01-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Should be a good game. Pity poor Spurs who have to go to Manchester united in the 4th. Still you never know with Spurs. We're crap in the prem these days but stick us in a cup competition and we seem to win!

Adam Hammonds
01-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Should be a good game. Pity poor Spurs who have to go to Manchester united in the 4th. Still you never know with Spurs. We're crap in the prem these days but stick us in a cup competition and we seem to win!

Can't decide whether I want you to knock the Mancs out in the 4th round so we don't have to, or keep them in it to distract from the Prem. Hmm. Well, you decide.

And what's with the Spurs voodoo against Libpool this year? Amazing. Also amazing how you immediately turned around as soon as Harry got in there. Well done. No relegation battle for you, I suspect.

Hey Regdog: quite a game against Preston, huh? Great to see Gerrard+Torres back again!

regdog
01-09-2009, 03:11 AM

:e2tongue: to Man U

Hey Regdog: quite a game against Preston, huh? Great to see Gerrard+Torres back again!

It was a good game. Liverpool played solid for 90 minutes. And it was good to Gerrard and Torres back. :) Can't wait for the next game

Adam Hammonds
01-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Time to take apart Stoke on Saturday. Just over 24 hours. I should have one of those big red count-down clocks on my wall, but I suspect they're very expensive.

Aschenbach
01-10-2009, 06:34 AM
Oh dear. See Benitez's rant against Ferguson today? I'm a Manchester United supporter, and couldn't stop laughing. Halfway through a press conference Benitez produces a page of notes and reels off a pre-prepared speech about every single post-match comment Ferguson has made about referees this season, and how the FA are too scared to charge him.

Doesn't Benitez have more important things to focus on? Like a tricky away fixture against Stoke? I really didn't think he would take the bait so easily.

waylander
01-11-2009, 04:02 AM
Struggled today, Stoke had the chances to turn you over

MrWrite
01-11-2009, 04:13 AM
Time to take apart Stoke on Saturday. Just over 24 hours. I should have one of those big red count-down clocks on my wall, but I suspect they're very expensive.

Hey Adam you ever had this experience before where things you say come back to haunt you?
Take apart Stoke. :roll:

I think you need a new manager if you're serious about winning the Prem. All his outburst against Fergie did was play into Uniteds hands. Reminds me of a famous or should I say infamous outburst Keegan had against Fergie several years back. He was the Newcastle boss in those days and Newcastle were 12 points clear. Anyone tell me what happened following that rant?

Oh one other thing. Since Rafa insisted on luring Robbie Keane from us thus leaving us well and truly in the brown smelly stuff this season do you think he could have the decency of actually using the player? He's a very good goal scorer just ask any Spurs fan!

Your best two strikers left on the bench for the whole of the first half and one not even used at all! What the hell is up with that scenario?

I just wanted to add I hope I don't sound like I'm bashing Liverpool as I do like them. I'm just bashing that useless, clueless manager you've been sadly lumbered with.

Adam Hammonds
01-11-2009, 07:15 AM
After watching that horrid performance I don't think I'm in the best mindset to be defending the manager, but . . . still top of the league, and still in my opinion the likeliest team to be top come May.

That being said, why not play a fit Keane who's just started to get into good goal-scoring form? Why not give Torres (who looks pretty damn fit after the hamstring injury) more than 30 mins? Why play Kuyt for 90 mins when he did absolutely nothing? Why give a rant of that nature during a gameweek, perhaps shifting the focus of his players? YOU GOT ME.

Moving on, I see one outcome between the Mancs and Chel$ea tomorrow: draw. I'm going 1-1. Anyone else with predictions?

Adam Hammonds
01-11-2009, 07:16 AM
Struggled today, Stoke had the chances to turn you over

And yes, this is true. We were lucky to leave with a point.

Disgusting.

Aschenbach
01-11-2009, 09:01 AM
Moving on, I see one outcome between the Mancs and Chel$ea tomorrow: draw. I'm going 1-1. Anyone else with predictions?

United will win, either 1-0 or 2-0. Scorers? Vidic &/or Berbatov.

(another baffling team selection by Beniteth today. No Keane. No Torres until the 69th minute. Kuyt upfront on his own? It's almost like he doesn't want to win the league.)

regdog
01-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Liverpool played one of the worst games I've seen in a long time. They didn't even deserve the point. :tongue

waylander
01-11-2009, 11:28 PM
United will win, either 1-0 or 2-0. Scorers? Vidic &/or Berbatov.

(another baffling team selection by Beniteth today. No Keane. No Torres until the 69th minute. Kuyt upfront on his own? It's almost like he doesn't want to win the league.)

I hope you put money on your named goal scorers!

Aschenbach
01-12-2009, 05:31 AM
I didn't, unfortunately. Kicking myself now :cry:

MrWrite
01-12-2009, 05:34 AM
Could you tell me the next winning lottery numbers?

regdog
01-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Could you tell me the next winning lottery numbers?
What MrWrite said

Adam Hammonds
01-12-2009, 05:55 PM
I didn't, unfortunately. Kicking myself now :cry:

At least tell us who's going to win the league.

Aschenbach
01-13-2009, 03:18 AM
Wish I could help with the lottery. I have won a grand total of 30 over the years.

As for the league, United have to be favourites now, especially with the way they brushed Chelsea aside. That should have been one of the hardest games of the season.
Liverpool have done very well but I think they need another 2 or 3 quality players before they can really challenge for the league. I always wonder what would happen if Gerarrd was out for a month or so. (And if he's found guilty on this assault charge that could happen)

waylander
01-13-2009, 03:42 AM
I am forced to agree, painful as it is.
Man Utd will win the league again

Adam Hammonds
01-15-2009, 05:45 PM
I guess that Liverpool-United game at Old Trafford is going to prove the title-decider. Biggest game in a long time, looks like. I'm sure there'll be some incident---Ferdinand will bring down Torres in the area with a sawed-off shotgun and the ref'll look the other way---that will make it just a pleasure to watch.

Chelsea's done. And dusted. They can go sit with Arsenal in the 'Just wait till next year, I'll get you yet!' sandbox.

Adam Hammonds
01-16-2009, 04:45 AM
107 million pounds for Kaka? Plus 500,000 pounds a week in wages?

Christ almighty. We should ask Man City for a bailout package.

Aschenbach
01-16-2009, 08:39 PM
City could break into the top 4 in the next couple of seasons, if the owners let Mark Hughes sign the players he wants (and not just show off by signing the current brightest bauble in the football firmanent). Maybe Villa could even break in as well?

If so 2 teams will have to drop out. I wonder which?

Man Utd - unlikely. The squad will be in excellent shape for the next few years, lots of young players. But replacing Fergie, when the time comes, will be A NIGHTMARE.
Chelsea - their squad is getting older and Abrahamovich has stopped spending funny money. Could be vulnerable.
Liverpool - could be destabilised by the continuing trouble with the owners and the power struggles with Benitez. But if Benitiez stays and he has a bit of money to spend they will probably be OK.
Arsenal - if they signed some experienced players to help the talented but inconsistent young ones along they could be awesome. But Wenger doesn't seem to want to do this. And a couple more seasons of underachievment could see their best players leaving in droves.

Would make the league more interesting if we saw some changes in the top 4, don'tcha think?

MrWrite
01-16-2009, 09:06 PM
City could be the richest team in the Championship if they're not careful!
All very well spending so much on a striker.....but their biggest problems are in defence. All the money in the world won't help them if they go down.

waylander
01-16-2009, 09:09 PM
All very well spending so much on a striker.....but their biggest problems are in defence. All the money in the world won't help them if they go down.

True - what has happened to Micah Richards? He looked a class act last season but this season.........

Aschenbach
01-16-2009, 11:36 PM

That would be hilarious. Robinho and Kaka in the championship :roll:

Adam Hammonds
01-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Would make the league more interesting if we saw some changes in the top 4, don'tcha think?

Yes. United, Chelsea and Arsenal getting relegated next season would make the league more interesting. Please make this happen.

Adam Hammonds
01-19-2009, 05:00 PM
True - what has happened to Micah Richards? He looked a class act last season but this season.........

Agreed. What the hell are they doing spending that GDP-money on another attacking brazilian when what they're dying for is a proper back line, some unflappable experience and Daniel Agger-like talent for the future. I bet 107M pounds could buy you a back 4 + keeper that would leak as few goals as the big four. That has to be job 1. But what do I know? I don't own oil fields.

waylander
01-20-2009, 01:59 AM
Everton 1 Liverpool 1
Reds threw it away

MrWrite
01-20-2009, 02:08 AM
Yes. United, Chelsea and Arsenal getting relegated next season would make the league more interesting. Please make this happen.

At least Arsenal anyway! :D

MrWrite
01-20-2009, 02:10 AM
Everton 1 Liverpool 1
Reds threw it away

Sorry Liverpool fans but I just don't see you winning the Prem this season. Stranger things have happened but I can only see Man U winning this now. And I really wish I didn't have to say that. :tongue

Spice Islands
01-20-2009, 09:32 AM
liverpool were never going to win the league this season. they need to replace rafa who has lost the plot coming out and attacking fergie like that

http://premierleaguenonsense.blogspot.com/

still they should finish 3rd behind man u and arsenal.

MrWrite
01-22-2009, 02:50 AM
I'm shaking my head in disbelief here. I've just witnessed the greatest smash and grab ever.

There we were 4-1 ahead on aggregate after the 1st leg. Burnley needed 3 goals to pull level and take it to extra time and if it finished that way they would go through on the away goal counting double rule.
Surely they wouldn't be able to pull back a 3 goal deficit? Against Spurs?
Well? They did! And with just 2 minutes of normal time they smashed in their third to take the tie to extra time. It looked all over for us as we'd been by far second best all through the game. But two late late goals for us in the second half of extra time and....

SPURS ARE ON THEIR WAY TO WEMBLEY!!!!!:hooray::e2woo:
:e2dance::e2dance::e2dance::e2dance:
Where we face United! But we won't worry about that right now. Why? Because we also face bloody United on Saturday in the FA CUp! That's why! :wag: AND we're away! LOL! As Alex Ferguson once famously said..."Football! Bloody hell!" I think that sums things up nicely! :roll:

You have to have a sense of humour to be a Spurs fan. You'd go loopy if you didn't! :crazy:

Actually that might explain a lot! :gone:

ReallyRong
01-22-2009, 05:10 AM
I'm shaking my head in disbelief here. I've just witnessed the greatest smash and grab ever.

There we were 4-1 ahead on aggregate after the 1st leg. Burnley needed 3 goals to pull level and take it to extra time and if it finished that way they would go through on the away goal counting double rule.
Surely they wouldn't be able to pull back a 3 goal deficit? Against Spurs?
Well? They did! And with just 2 minutes of normal time they smashed in their third to take the tie to extra time. It looked all over for us as we'd been by far second best all through the game. But two late late goals for us in the second half of extra time and....

SPURS ARE ON THEIR WAY TO WEMBLEY!!!!!:hooray::e2woo:
:e2dance::e2dance::e2dance::e2dance:
Where we face United! But we won't worry about that right now. Why? Because we also face bloody United on Saturday in the FA CUp! That's why! :wag: AND we're away! LOL! As Alex Ferguson once famously said..."Football! Bloody hell!" I think that sums things up nicely! :roll:

You have to have a sense of humour to be a Spurs fan. You'd go loopy if you didn't! :crazy:

Actually that might explain a lot! :gone:

Well at least the fans won't have far to travel! But for me, the big question of this campaign is about Premiership survival. This season looks like turning into a real test of mental, as well as physical fitness. At least two of the new lads could normally be counted on to fail dismally, but it hasn't happened yet. Given what's been going on at Chelsea and Arsenal, the predictions for the league title are pretty much down to Liverpool or Man U, probably the latter, what with the political infighting at Anfield. But what about the predictions for relegation? I'd personally like to see Bolton, Blackburn and Wigan do down (as unlikely as it would be) simply because of the apathetic support they get. The Bolton ground wasn't even filled for the Man U game fer chrissakes! BTW - Spurs aren't looking too clever...

Adam Hammonds
01-22-2009, 08:10 AM
still they should finish 3rd behind man u and arsenal.

Uhhh. Oh, yes, right. Arsenal. Not Chelsea with the vastly superior squad and more points, or Villa with a slightly (imo) superior squad and more points---but Arsenal. Cause they surely have the mental strength and iron character to turn things around and finish the year strong.

Right now Wenger is praying to Zizou that Arsenal remain in the Champions League next year.

MrWrite
01-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Arsenal will be lucky if they're playing Champions League football next season.
We'll be lucky if we're playing Premiership football next season though!

Adam Hammonds
01-23-2009, 07:05 AM
Oh, I don't know, Mr. Write. Arry'll buy someone. You're already out of the drop zone. Temporarily. Think POSITIVELY. That's what I'm doing. I'm thinking POSITIVELY about Man U losing the next several games.

On a different note: what are your (and your people's) thoughts on R Keane, now? Would you take him back? Do you even want him back? Do you miss him?

MrWrite
01-23-2009, 05:12 PM
I'd welcome him back but he'd have his work cut out making up for jumping ship like that. He gave us six good years and yeah we miss his goals. Defoe is good but not as prolific as Keane.

I think Robbie has made a mistake going to Liverpool. He used to score hatfuls of goals for us but he's not exactly setting Liverpool alight is he?

The one I wouldn't want back is Berbatov. Way too sulky and he tends to disappear from games. Keane gives 100% every time. It hurt a lot more losing Keane than Berba for that reason.

Adam Hammonds
01-23-2009, 10:34 PM
I just don't know what's wrong with the Keane situation. Obviously you don't lose talent just by changing clubs. So either he's in bad patch of form or the two clubs have significantly different styles and it's taking him time to adjust. I think the latter. But how long will it take him? And---most important---is there even any space for Keane along side Torres?

Agree on Berba. Hate that guy. He doesn't even celebrate when he scores.

Aschenbach
01-24-2009, 12:15 AM
I think it's quite funny the way Berbatov just strolls around, especially when you have Rooney or Tevez next to him who don't stop running all game. I suppose Fergie didn't sign him for his work rate.

(Actually, I have seen Berba run. There was a game recently when he broke into a trot and closed someone down. Surprised? I nearly dropped my pint.)

MrWrite
01-24-2009, 12:33 AM
(Actually, I have seen Berba run. There was a game recently when he broke into a trot and closed someone down. Surprised? I nearly dropped my pint.)

Are you sure you weren't dreaming? :roll:

Aschenbach
01-24-2009, 01:20 AM
I suppose I could have been mistaken. I just saw two gloves and assumed it was Berba :D

ReallyRong
01-24-2009, 02:02 AM
I'd welcome him back but he'd have his work cut out making up for jumping ship like that. He gave us six good years and yeah we miss his goals. Defoe is good but not as prolific as Keane.

I think Robbie has made a mistake going to Liverpool. He used to score hatfuls of goals for us but he's not exactly setting Liverpool alight is he?

The one I wouldn't want back is Berbatov. Way too sulky and he tends to disappear from games. Keane gives 100% every time. It hurt a lot more losing Keane than Berba for that reason.

I went to the Reading vs Spurs games last season and Keane was different class. The Reading defence simply couldn't deal with him, and this was a side that had beaten Liverpool earlier in the season. (Sorry, but I couldn't resist that one!) I think part of the reason he went to Liverpool was that he's a lifelong fan and was fullfilling an ambition as much as anything else. Not too sure how he's feeling about it now, mind.

MrWrite
01-24-2009, 05:05 PM
Well I know when we played Liverpool earlier this season and beat them 2-1 (sorry Pool fans I just couldn't resist :D) Keane caused us all sorts of problems until he was subbed off. I was relieved to see him go although I couldn't help feeling Benitez was an idiot for taking him off. Between Keane and Kyte (or however you spell his name!) they caused us a lot of problems in the first half. Maybe if Benitez showed more faith in Keane he'd get better results.

regdog
01-24-2009, 11:10 PM
Sorry MrWrite just saw your Spurs go down to Man U 2-1.

MrWrite
01-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Yeah I know :( To be honest I expected us to lose. it hurt that we lost due to two sloppy minutes in the first half. And that Berba scored their winner. I hate him!
Still. I can take consolation in that we caused them problems in the second half and we certainly weren't outclassed by them as some man u fans have been claiming we would be.
I think we'll win the final!

Chanelley
01-25-2009, 12:19 AM
My dad and two brothers are huge fans. I'm arsenal unfortunately!

Aschenbach
01-25-2009, 02:25 AM
it hurt that we lost due to two sloppy minutes in the first half. And that Berba scored their winner. I hate him!

You might have to watch him do the same in the final :eek: !
I thought the 1st half was great, but the second was a bit disappointing.

I must say, regardless of my being a United fan, I wouldn't be optimistic about Spurs chances for wembley. They didn't show much "hustle" today. Whenever United had possession there didn't seem to be any pressure on them, or not until they got near the box.

But i'm sure Redknapp will sign a couple of scrappers before the window shuts.

MrWrite
01-25-2009, 04:12 AM
He needs to sign someone before the window closes!

ReallyRong
01-25-2009, 05:21 AM
He needs to sign someone before the window closes!

With 'Arry's record at West Ham and Pompey I'm guessing he'll be signing as many players as he can get hold of. He's even rumoured to be interested in our Stephen Hunt. The only problem is that Man City might be outbidding him for all of them. Apart from Hunt that is.

MrWrite
01-25-2009, 06:03 PM
I thought City were after top players only. They went for Kaka and all they got was Bellamy! :ROFL:

Adam Hammonds
01-26-2009, 02:30 AM
They went for Kaka and all they got was Bellamy! :ROFL:

I'm still laughing about this. Just shows: no one who wants to play for a big club will go to City. Ever. Period. Only the ones who say they do but really only care about $. Like Robinho, and apparently Buffon.

Regarding Keane: the real problem with Benitez playing Keane is how it changes the side. Obviously you'll never use Keane instead of Torres. So that means if they're both fit you have to play 442. Then you have to sit someone like Alonso or Riera/Babel or Kuyt (that's how you spell it). And 4231 is Liverpool's best formation. I just go back to the beginning with this: Why did we buy Keane in the first place? Surely not just to let him fulfill HIS lifelong ambition?

MrWrite
01-26-2009, 02:32 AM
No you bought him just to fuck us up! And it's working :wag:

MrWrite
01-26-2009, 02:37 AM
It's funny too how Keane had never even mentioned any ambition to play for Liverpool before Benitez expressed an interest in signing for him. In fact I was under the impression he was a Celtic fan.
I guess he just wanted to get away from Ramos.

Adam Hammonds
01-27-2009, 01:58 AM
No you bought him just to fuck us up! And it's working :wag:

Well goddamnit take him back!

And while you're at it take Dossena, Babel, Benayoun, and all our backup keepers!

MrWrite
01-27-2009, 02:25 AM
:ROFL:If Harry has his way we might just take him back after all!!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article2174203.ece

Well since we've already bought Pascal Chimbonda and Jermaine DeFoe back why not buy Keane back as well?
That fool Ramos should never have sold them anyway. Just don't go charging us more than we sold him for!

MrWrite
01-27-2009, 02:40 AM
It's funny. I was thinking at work today. I have a tres boring job so I tend to let my mind wander.

I was thinking back to the Liverpool side of the 80's. And I started wondering how many of you Liverpool fans on here know anything about your teams glorious history. Especially you Regdog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zSxBoGqmiE&feature=related

Here's just a taste of what things were like for Liverpool fans back then. In my opinion they were greater than any Manchester United team in the last 20 years! Although I bet a few United fans on here might not agree. By the way that Liverpool song in the video? That was a song made by the Liverpool football squad of the time before an FA Cup Final. A little tidbit for the American readers on here, when a team got to the FA Cup Final they made a song and video. That little gem was I believe before the 89 Final though I could be wrong. Catchy eh?

Players like Ian rush, Peter Beardsley, John Barnes, Steve McMahon, Alan Hanson etc. What a team they were!

FA cup winners in 86 and 89. European cup winners at least once maybe twice I can't remember for sure. Although I do remember a really nail biting European cup final which went to penalties that Liverpool finally won. Countless league titles. They beat Spurs in the 82 league cup final.

I remember them beating Nottingham Forest 5 -0. Crystal Palace they beat 9 - 0! Bring back memories?

Damn I want to get a dvd of Liverpool in the 80's from Amazon so I can relive the memories myself.

See Regdog? I told you was a Liverpool fan once! :D

To all Liverpool fans on here who became fans in the 90's and beyond and missed your teams golden or should I say goalden era do a little research online. They didn't always rely on just one player you know! ;)

MrWrite
01-27-2009, 03:05 AM
I found this little gem from when Liverpool beat Crystal Palace 9 - 0. And there were 8 different scorers in that game!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUkDDmzgh-I&feature=related

And one more clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T00x5sRbZrc&feature=related

ReallyRong
01-27-2009, 04:30 AM
Please Sir, please sir, We'll take Keane on loan!

MrWrite
01-27-2009, 04:37 AM

Please Sir, please sir, We'll take Keane on loan!

regdog
01-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Excellent clips MrWrite :Hail:

Adam Hammonds
01-27-2009, 10:26 PM
They didn't always rely on just one player you know! ;)

To be fair, we have two players. Their names are Steven and Fernando, and they're in love.

Adam Hammonds
01-27-2009, 10:27 PM
To all Liverpool fans on here who became fans in the 90's and beyond and missed your teams golden or should I say goalden era

I blame my parents.

Aschenbach
01-28-2009, 05:35 AM
Here's just a taste of what things were like for Liverpool fans back then. In my opinion they were greater than any Manchester United team in the last 20 years! Although I bet a few United fans on here might not agree.

Damn right! Although it's hard comparing different eras. Especially when you're talking about the stone age, when Liverpool were last any good (couldn't resist ;)).
But football has changed a lot since then. The backpass was still legal, for one thing. You could tackle a lot harder. But I think United's 1994 double winners would wipe the floor with most sides. A great mixture of power and technique with Hughes, Cantona, Ince etc.

Nice to see United win tonight, while we're on the subject. Someone was due a spanking. Been far too many 1-0s recently! (Good result for Spurs also).

MrWrite
01-28-2009, 08:10 AM
I'm just glad we didn't get the spanking on Saturday! LOL. Yeah we kind of gave a mini spanking ourselves tonight. I can't remember when we last scored 3 goals. Maybe we can stay up yet!

regdog
01-28-2009, 05:29 PM
I was thinking back to the Liverpool side of the 80's. And I started wondering how many of you Liverpool fans on here know anything about your teams glorious history. Especially you Regdog.

Hey I have a good excuse, I was in grade/high school back then and we were lucky to have cable. Do you have any idea what the early days of ESPN were like???? Polynesian rowing races, I kid you not.

To all Liverpool fans on here who became fans in the 90's and beyond and missed your teams golden or should I say goalden era.

I blame my parents.

Yeah I blame Adam's parents

Aschenbach
01-28-2009, 06:26 PM
A reminder of the genius of Cantona. I don't know what's better, the goal or the celebration.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt3eLY9JApg

Inspirational! You'd follow such a man into the very gates of hell.

regdog
01-29-2009, 12:46 AM
Liverpool 1-Wigan 0 Benayoun scored

Halftime

ReallyRong
01-29-2009, 01:25 AM
Yahoo! Any Wolves fans on here? What's going on with you lot? Back in November they had a twelve point lead at the top of the CCC, and after our match against them last night it's now down to just 2 with us in second place. Thank God for Neil Collins! (he's a Wolves player who scored an own goal winner in the first minute and got himself sent off at the end).

MrWrite
01-29-2009, 02:13 AM
Wolves have fans? :Shrug:

waylander
01-29-2009, 02:15 AM
result Wigan 1 Liverpool 1
Reds lose more ground on Utd

MrWrite
01-29-2009, 02:43 AM
Liverpool need to ditch the spanish waiter! :wag:

Adam Hammonds
01-29-2009, 04:12 AM
So I guess it's just the bottle of whiskey for me for dinner tonight, then?

Shameful. Disgraceful. Horribleful.

On the plus side, if the championship were decided on 3 points to a draw, 1 to a win, and none to a loss, Liverpool'd have the title wrapped up already.

That is a plus side, right?

Aschenbach
01-29-2009, 04:31 AM
if the championship were decided on 3 points to a draw, 1 to a win, and none to a loss, Liverpool'd have the title wrapped up already.

Given Benitez's ultra-cautious approach, I can only presume he believes it really is 3 points for a draw. Taking Gerrard off? LFC fans must be going spare! If Benitez showed some more adventure in his selections and tactics, you might still be top.

3rd in the league now. Chelsea next game. I predict another draw.

regdog
01-29-2009, 06:03 PM
So I guess it's just the bottle of whiskey for me for dinner tonight, then?

Shameful. Disgraceful. Horribleful.

On the plus side, if the championship were decided on 3 points to a draw, 1 to a win, and none to a loss, Liverpool'd have the title wrapped up already.

That is a plus side, right?

Well it's a plus side like the weather always being nice after a blizzard or hurricane plus side

Adam Hammonds
01-30-2009, 03:23 AM
Chelsea next game. I predict another draw.

I'm sure that's where the smart money is. But not mine! I'm going 3-1 Liverpool; Gerrard and Torres (2).

Any takers?

Well it's a plus side like the weather always being nice after a blizzard or hurricane plus side

More like a plus side like the hurricane took out my house but I was pretty sure there was something wrong with it anyway, and I was just itching to start rebuilding a new one from scratch.

ReallyRong
01-31-2009, 03:03 AM
Wolves have fans? :Shrug:
Actually, I posted that to find out if I was going to offend anyone with my next post about Wolves fans. We absolutely loathe them, which is why it gave double satisfaction to beat them twice this season. A lot of it stems back to 5 years ago when we were in a play off for the premiership against them and some genius allocated our fans a lower stand spot with Wolves fans above them. Spit, piss and coins were apparently amongst the nicer items to come showering down. To call them a bunch of ugly animals is an insult to animals. So to try and get this thread moving a bit, I'd like you all to nominate your own most hated opponents. TBH, Wolves aside I'm not sure that we hate anyone (It's hard when nobody else seems to hate Reading!) but my list would be:

1. Wolves. See above.
2. Chelsea, for trying to perform a character assassination against not only Stephen Hunt , but also the club, the local ambulance service and god knows who for what was, at best, an accidental collision with their keeper.
3. West Ham, for poaching our manager Alan Pardew, when they were told to get lost. Most of all _Sir_ Trevor Brooking for brokering the deal in private whilst butter wouldn't melt in public.
4. Leeds. Actually, I don't really have a problem with Leeds, but everyone else seems to hate them so I thought I'd better keep in good books!

I'm sure there are others out there who have better historical reasons for hating opponents.

MrWrite
01-31-2009, 03:46 AM
Only team I HATE is Arsenal. I'm not fond of Man U but don't hate them. Except that little wanker Ronaldo. Oh and Scholes .

Aschenbach
02-01-2009, 12:38 AM
I'm not fond of Man U but don't hate them. Except that little wanker Ronaldo. Oh and Scholes .

Apart from his clumsy tackling, I was under the impression Scholes was quite respected by most footy fans. He is the opposite of the attention-seeking bling merchant on assault/drink drive charges who agitates for a move as soon as someone waves a chequebook at them.

He is a model professional. A one club man, and superb player to boot. You know he doesn't even have an agent? Apparently he takes his accountant to contract negotiations, and it is all settled within twenty minutes. He is a throwback to a saner, more honest era. Nay, Mr Write, repent your hatred. The Ginger Prince is a paragon.

Ronaldo, I admit, is much harder to like. If he played for an opposition club I wouldn't like him. But despite the posing, you can't deny his skill and bravery. You can kick Ronaldo all day and he will never stop looking for the ball and trying to win games.

MrWrite
02-01-2009, 01:43 AM
I only hate Scholes because the little ginger bugger always scores against us :wag:

Just like he did last weekend :rant:

Aschenbach
02-01-2009, 03:02 AM
I just had a look at the prem table and the bottom half is still ridiculous. After the halfway point it normally falls into shape, i.e. usually two of the promoted clubs and one yo-yo club will be relegated. This season there are 10 clubs who could go.

My relegation wishlist;

Newcastle, Portsmouth, City.

United winning tonight puts massive pressure on Liverpool v Chelsea tomorrow. I can't wait to see Benitez's team selection.

A draw would be no good for either team, but if one team wins they should get a huge boost in confidence and belief.

regdog
02-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Liverpool Vs Chelsea on FSC at 11:00

The only football game that matters today

MrWrite
02-01-2009, 07:56 PM
I'll be watching! :D

MrWrite
02-01-2009, 09:49 PM
What a goal by torres! But where the hell did 5 minutes extra come from?

MrWrite
02-01-2009, 09:53 PM
GAME OVER!

Great second goal by Torres. Liverpool deserve this win. Though Lampards sending off was harsh.

rugcat
02-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Wow.

I would have liked to see both teams at full strength, though.

regdog
02-01-2009, 09:55 PM
What a goal by torres! But where the hell did 5 minutes extra come from?

I have no idea. Maybe they decided it was such a good game they wanted to make it last.

Way To Go REDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrWrite
02-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Agreed. The sending off was wrong. Lampard got the ball first. Still the way Chelsea were playing, I doubt the score would have changed. Chelsea had little to offer in attack. I haven't seen them that poor for a long time.
Great goals from Torres though.

regdog
02-01-2009, 09:59 PM
The Reds totally dominated Chelsea but I was beginning to think they were never going to get a goal.

ETA: Maybe Lampard said something and that's why he got red carded

Aschenbach
02-01-2009, 10:03 PM
The sending off was wrong.

What a liberty. The ref is bent!

That was an important result for Liverpool. Looks like they won't let United stroll it (unfortunately ;)).

MrWrite
02-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Just remember Liverpool play my Spurs last game of the season at Anfield so you Mancs had better pray it doesn't go to the wire :wag:
And I pray that any relegation issues are resolved before that last game too!

regdog
02-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Just remember Liverpool play my Spurs last game of the season at Anfield so you Mancs had better pray it doesn't go to the wire :wag:
And I pray that any relegation issues are resolved before that last game too!

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/regdog/1213.gif
Just worry about your Spurs avoiding relegation.

Aschenbach
02-01-2009, 10:15 PM
It would be sweet if you bought Keane back and he scored the late goal that denied Liverpool the title. Here's hoping!

MrWrite
02-01-2009, 10:18 PM
We're still being linked with him so you never know.
I bet if he DOES come back he'd love to score the goal that denies Liverpool the title.
Benitez is an idiot to not play him. I remember when Liverpool played us earlier this season Keane and Kuyt were causing us huge problems especially in the first half. When the Spanish waiter hauled Keane off in the second half Liverpool weren't half as good and we were able to come back.
Much as I like Liverpool I hate Benitez. He's clueless and I don't think Liverpool will win the Prem with him in charge. I know he got them to 2 Champions League finals and won one of them but this season Benitez has totally lost the plot.

Aschenbach
02-01-2009, 10:27 PM
I bet if he DOES come back he'd love to score the goal that denies Liverpool the title.

I bet he would. I have been reading that Benitez thinks Keane was a Parry signing rather than a player he really wanted, so he is leaving him out to prove a point to the board. If that's true it's a terrible way to treat a player.

Berbatov didn't do great when he first arrived at United. But Fergie kept playing him and praising him in the media. And now he's started scoring consistently. The way Benitiez has treated Keane seems designed to wreck his confidence and make him feel unwanted. Strange.

MrWrite
02-02-2009, 12:17 AM
I couldn't agree more. That's why Robbie has to go. We'll have him back! I don't know why he wanted to leave in the first place!

ReallyRong
02-02-2009, 02:10 AM
We're still being linked with him so you never know.
Benitez is an idiot to not play him. I remember when Liverpool played us earlier this season Keane and Kuyt were causing us huge problems especially in the first half. When the Spanish waiter hauled Keane off in the second half Liverpool weren't half as good and we were able to come back.
Much as I like Liverpool I hate Benitez. He's clueless and I don't think Liverpool will win the Prem with him in charge. I know he got them to 2 Champions League finals and won one of them but this season Benitez has totally lost the plot.
There was a story in the Mail On Sunday today that Benitez never wanted Robbie Keane in the first place. He was after Gareth Barry, but Rick Parry overruled him. A lot of the media speculation about Benitez threatening to walk unless he has control over transfer policy and the treatment of Keane suddenly falls into place.

MrWrite
02-03-2009, 02:26 AM
Yeah we got our Robbie back!!! :hooray:

Aschenbach
02-03-2009, 04:29 AM
So Liverpool effectively paid 8 million for the privelege of sitting a player on the bench for half a season. Brilliant!

regdog
02-03-2009, 06:14 PM
So Liverpool effectively paid 8 million for the privelege of sitting a player on the bench for half a season. Brilliant!

Pretty much.

Adam Hammonds
02-04-2009, 11:08 PM

Better than 20 million for a player who will sit on the bench until he retires.

Adam Hammonds
02-04-2009, 11:10 PM
Also, since I haven't yet done so, YEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!

re: Liverpool 2, Chelsea 0.

Two pony race now for the title; and three pony race for spots 3 and 4. Chelsea--on the basis of that horrid performance--could be enjoying a bit of UEFA Cup next year!

MrWrite
02-05-2009, 02:48 AM
Everton 1 Liverpool 0

Too bad Rafa didn't heave Robbie Keane on the bench. He might have changed things! ;)

Adam Hammonds
02-05-2009, 02:54 AM
Bah humbug.

Those socks didn't work.

Keane would have been nice, yeah; but so would 11 men.

Adam Hammonds
02-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Hey Monsieur Write -- if you agree to take it easy on us in the last fixture of the season, I'll agree to convince Fergie to give you back Carrick for 5 Mil. How's that sound? Deal? Good.

MrWrite
02-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Hey Monsieur Write -- if you agree to take it easy on us in the last fixture of the season, I'll agree to convince Fergie to give you back Carrick for 5 Mil. How's that sound? Deal? Good.

Try telling Keane to take it easy on you! :ROFL:

Aschenbach
02-06-2009, 11:00 PM
I don't wish to sound like a gloating United fan, but...

I think Liverpool will be out of the title race well before the last day of the season. It seems typical of Benitez lately that the next game after selling Keane, Liverpool are knocked out of the FA cup by Everton, and they lose Gerrard for 3 weeks, leaving a half fit Torres as the only real goal threat.

The Times report Gerrard could even be out for the season, which would be a disaster for Liverpool. A forward line of Torres, Kuyt, and, umm, David Ngog, is not enough firepower to win the prem.

If Gerrard is out for any length of time Liverpool will keep racking up draws. If Arsenal and Chelsea start punching their weight Liverpool could even be squeezed out of the top 4 come May.

Adam Hammonds
02-07-2009, 07:10 AM
I don't wish to sound like a gloating United fan, but...

I think Liverpool will be out of the title race well before the last day of the season. It seems typical of Benitez lately that the next game after selling Keane, Liverpool are knocked out of the FA cup by Everton, and they lose Gerrard for 3 weeks, leaving a half fit Torres as the only real goal threat.

The Times report Gerrard could even be out for the season, which would be a disaster for Liverpool. A forward line of Torres, Kuyt, and, umm, David Ngog, is not enough firepower to win the prem.

If Gerrard is out for any length of time Liverpool will keep racking up draws. If Arsenal and Chelsea start punching their weight Liverpool could even be squeezed out of the top 4 come May.

There's not a chance in hell of this. Arsenal is completely done. Chelsea looks MUCH worse than Liverpool, and they aren't suffering any major injury problems yet. If LFC are out of the title race well before May it will mean that United have wrapped it up by then. And that's sad. Not just because I'm a Liverpool supporter. Everyone wants to see a fight to the finish. I still think that the game at Old Trafford will basically decide it. If Liverpool take that game, the confidence will be enough to carry through to end of May.

And N'gog? Just you wait. Next Henry. Or at least worth the 1.5 mil pounds. One of the two.

Aschenbach
02-07-2009, 07:48 AM
There's not a chance in hell of this. Arsenal is completely done. Chelsea looks MUCH worse than Liverpool, and they aren't suffering any major injury problems yet.

I'm not sure about that. Chelsea have virtually the same squad that (narrowly) finished as league and champions league runners up last season. They have had poor results lately, but are still capable of winning most of their games. They have signed Quaresma, which could give them that bit of creativity they have lacked.

Arsenal have been wildly inconsistent but also could go on a good run. They have signed Arshavin, definitely a tidy player, although he might struggle to fit in straight away.

Liverpool...I honestly think they owed their recent lofty league position to other teams dropping their standards, rather than Liverpool making real improvements. It was only a matter of time before they started to sink down the table.
And unlike the other top 3 teams, Liverpool sold a player this window, rather than bought one. An already weak squad is now even weaker, especially with Gerrard being out for at least 3 weeks.

Having said all that, you will win comfortably at Portsmouth tomorrow, even without Gerrard. But don't get carried away. Portsmouth are doomed to relegation this year.

Aschenbach
02-08-2009, 04:46 AM
The win wasn't as comfortable as I thought! If not for some pub team defending from Portsmouth, Liverpool could have lost today!

Crouch's backpass? The way four Portsmouth players just ballwatched and let Torres have a free header for the winnning goal? But fair play to Torres, it was a great header. It came off his bonce like a cannonball.

Having watched Chelsea draw 0-0 against Hull on match of the day, I no longer think they can finish above Liverpool. Villa can, though. They were very impressive against Blackburn.

(Spurs must have a good chance against Arsenal tomorrow. If they win I look forawrd to Mr Write's army of ecstatic smilies :D)

Adam Hammonds
02-08-2009, 09:01 AM
(Spurs must have a good chance against Arsenal tomorrow. If they win I look forawrd to Mr Write's army of ecstatic smilies :D)

Ha. Yes, I'm sure Mr Write will bring his best should Totty take down the flacid Gunners. (And I hope they do.) As far as the Portsmouth game: ok, seriously slack defending on P's part, but how about the heart and determination from my boys? Not bad, eh?

I think Rafa said, "I'm going to win this game by the skin of my teeth, by bringing on the necessary lads at the last possible second, and by starting the game with a team and formation that no human could possibly have predicted."

He was right.

And yes. Chelsea's done. Now you see. It doesn't matter how expensive their squad is. With Big Phil as manager, they are not the Beast they once were.

It is United's title to lose, and only one team can catch them. 2009: the epic battle of the Northwest!

MrWrite
02-08-2009, 04:51 PM
(Spurs must have a good chance against Arsenal tomorrow. If they win I look forawrd to Mr Write's army of ecstatic smilies :D)[/quote]

You can count on it! ;) Won't be right away though as I'll be going out right after the game for breakfast.

MrWrite
02-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Half time still 0-0. Arse scum are down to ten men and Adeyabore has gone off injured so we just need a goal now!

regdog
02-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Half time still 0-0. Arse scum are down to ten men and Adeyabore has gone off injured so we just need a goal now!

Good luck. I just checked FSC to see if the game is on. It's not :( Italian league right now. Let us know how your Spurs do.

GO SPURS!!!

MrWrite
02-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Less than fifteen minutes to go still 0-0. This is so frustrating! We were playing so well for the first 20 minutes dominating the game but le Scum are gaining in confidence and have had a couple of chances. We need a goal QUICK!

MrWrite
02-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Game over. 0-0. I don't believe Spurs. Still I think we have enough to avoid relegation but we could have done with a win today. Still at least the scum haven't beaten us this season. I really thought we'd win this one! :rant:

regdog
02-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Game over. 0-0. I don't believe Spurs. Still I think we have enough to avoid relegation but we could have done with a win today. Still at least the scum haven't beaten us this season. I really thought we'd win this one! :rant:

Take heart MrWrite, any game Arsenal doesn't win is a great game.

Arsenal didn't win

:PartySmil:PartySmil:PartySmil
:TheWave::TheWave:

MrWrite
02-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Yeah but considering they were down to ten men for the whole of the second half you have to feel disappointed not to beat them. We played great for the first 20 minutes but I don't know if they got tired or frustrated, but they got scrappy and Arsenal even had a couple of chances to win. The new player we signed from Wigan was brilliant and between him and Keane coming back we should stay up. But we really should have won this one today. Still as you said, they didn't win and we got another point in a game we could have lost.

Adam Hammonds
02-09-2009, 02:46 AM
Of course Tottenham will stay up.

The bottom 3 will be: WBA, Stoke, and Blackburn.

Bookmark this post.

MrWrite
02-09-2009, 05:32 AM
Pluses to take from this game....

1. Modric had his best game yet. I think he'll really benefit from having Keane in the team. Keane isn't just about scoring goals, he links up well with other players too. In some ways he reminds me of Teddy Sheringham.
2. Wilson Palacios has shown already he's going to be a big player for us.
3. First half and first part of the second half we were by far the better team.
4. Robbie Keane is back!

As usual arsene whinger claims he never saw the sending off incident. Does he ever actually watch any of the games? As usual he lets his arrogance get in the way claiming his scum team were the better side. I truly hate him!

At least with that result they've slipped up and are that bit further from the 4th place. If the scum don't make Champions League next season I wonder how many of their players will stay?

Superdave
02-09-2009, 05:10 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Man United win the Premiership this season. I think the 2 point cushion and their game in hand puts them in a really strong position which I can not see them losing their grip on.

Good result for Spurs, and Arsenal will regret not winning that one - particularly with the Villa result against Blackburn. I would think Chelsea are entirely out of the title race but it will be between them and Arsenal for the fourth Champions League place as I think Villa will grab 3rd.

As for my team, Crystal Palace, we've had a welcome break because of the snow. Birmingham at home was postponed on Tuesday night as was Barnsley away on Saturday. On our current form I would think this is a good opportunity to sort out the squad, because had the games gone ahead I can only see us getting completely battered by Birmingham and perhaps get a point at best at Barnsley.

waylander
02-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Scolari sacked today by Chelsea

MrWrite
02-10-2009, 02:18 AM
And the revolving door that is Stamford Bridge claims yet another victim. What a joke The Russian is. He needs a number two who tells him what he should be doing rather than a creeping little "yes" man like Kenyon. Maybe then he'll make some good decisions.
Should never have gotten rid of Morhino anyway. What a joke getting rid of a manager who had won 3 Prems in a row. Had Fergie ever managed that? I know he's won two back to back but did he ever win 3 in a row?
The old days of giving a manager time to build a winning team are long gone. We'll never see another Fergie. I remember he took time to get the team he wanted and some United fans were calling for his head. Imagine if the board had sacked HIM before he started winning anything!!

Adam Hammonds
02-10-2009, 04:32 AM
And don't forget about Moan-inho: he had won league titles AND the champions league with Porto before coming to the bridge. Which means he hadn't gone a year without winning a major trophy in quite some time. And to top it all off he was sacked extremely close to top of the league. I forgot what it was--maybe a point or two off? Definitely a joke.

But even bigger joke is the rumor that A Grant is on the shortlist to replace Scolari. I love it! I thought the guy wasn't good enough, Roman? I thought losing the league to United on the final day of the season adn the European cup on pks just wasn't the Abromovich Way???

Please God let Chelsea finish fifth and enjoy a nice bit of Uefa Cup action next year.

Adam Hammonds
02-10-2009, 04:33 AM
Tony Adams out too. But who didn't see that coming.

MrWrite
02-10-2009, 05:45 AM
Someone should tell The Russian that Adams is looking for a new job!

If Grant is brought back to Chelsea that will officially make Chelsea a joke club...oh wait....they already are! :D

Aschenbach
02-10-2009, 05:56 AM
A silly time to sack the manager. Whoever comes in now isn't going to win the league - they are too far behind. Scolari should have been given to the end of the season, at least. You can't expect to win the league every year, but no one seems to have told Abrahomivich this.

(And to address an earlier question, Mourinho won 2 prems on the run, not 3. Fergie did it from the 1998-99 to 2000-01 seasons. If they win this year that will complete another 3 consecutive premiership wins).

Superdave
02-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Guus Hiddink has been confirmed as new Chelsea boss.

waylander
02-12-2009, 12:28 AM
Guus Hiddink has been confirmed as new Chelsea boss.

As a temporary appintment - but then all recent Chelsea managers have been temporary

Aschenbach
02-12-2009, 04:47 AM
Why is Roman so thick? You would think a billionaire would have some intelligence. But he doesn't seem to have grasped the obvious thing about football that we can all see;

you can't win every game. Losing is just as much a part of sport as winning. Chelsea were doing well a few years ago, they displaced United as the top team and raised the bar for any team wanting to win the prem.

United responded by coming back stronger. The club knew that sacking Fergie would be a mistake, and let him get on with building a new side. The result? This season we are the reigning champions of England, Europe, and the world.

You have to trust the manager to get on with the job. No club has ever prospered by changing managers every season. The short-termism in football is insane.

Adam Hammonds
02-12-2009, 04:55 AM
What does that even mean, that he's a temporary manager? Why would a worldclass manager come to Chelsea for a few months---out of a favor to Roman? He hasn't even left his post with Russia. How do you balance being manager of a national team AND manager of a club as big as Chelsea? It can't be done. Either an enormous amount of money is involved for just 4 months of work, or Guus is about to quit Russia. Right?

Aschenbach
02-12-2009, 05:37 AM
RA (have given up trying to spell his name) funds the Russian FA, meaning he pays Hiddink's wages for managing Russia. That probably has something to do with him agreeing to "job share" and fill in at Chelsea for the rest of the season.

Also he will be getting a good few million on top of his Russia wages for his troubles. And with his track record of making poor national sides overperform, he probably thinks he can land a trophy with Chelsea.

EDIT - plus it is becoming more common for managers to run a club and coach a national side simultaneously. The international and domestic calenders are still mostly seperate, apart from a few mid-season qualifiers/friendlies. Managing an international side is pretty much a part time job.

rugcat
02-12-2009, 10:10 AM
...it is becoming more common for managers to run a club and coach a national side simultaneously. The international and domestic calenders are still mostly seperate, apart from a few mid-season qualifiers/friendlies. Managing an international side is pretty much a part time job.Speaking of which, the US beat Mexico 2-0 today at Columbus, Ohio in a qualifier. (I know those of you across the pond care not a whit.)

The US lacks any players with the individual skills of true international stars, but they actually play with some creative ideas and a lot of heart. They're capable of beating superior sides on any given day.

But the point here is that Sven Goren Eriksson, former England manager, now of course is guiding Mexico. And I don't think I've ever seen Mexico ever look so mediocre. I have some real doubts about his effectiveness as a manager.

waylander
02-12-2009, 02:15 PM
There are a number of US players in the Premier League, not superstars but good solid players.

MrWrite
02-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Speaking of which, the US beat Mexico 2-0 today at Columbus, Ohio in a qualifier. (I know those of you across the pond care not a whit.)

The US lacks any players with the individual skills of true international stars, but they actually play with some creative ideas and a lot of heart. They're capable of beating superior sides on any given day.

But the point here is that Sven Goren Eriksson, former England manager, now of course is guiding Mexico. And I don't think I've ever seen Mexico ever look so mediocre. I have some real doubts about his effectiveness as a manager.

Believe me us Brits know all about Sven's mediocrity.

MrWrite
02-14-2009, 03:53 AM
Classic wind up! An Irish radio station got through to Peter Kenyon and applied for the job of Chelsea manager for next season! :ROFL:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article2237198.ece

Adam Hammonds
02-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Classic wind up! An Irish radio station got through to Peter Kenyon and applied for the job of Chelsea manager for next season! :ROFL:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article2237198.ece

Haha

Adam Hammonds
02-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Don't know how much you all follow the other leagues around Europe but it's looking like Barca, Inter, and Man U are going to be champions. Too close in Germany. I guess the most drama will come from the UCL, especially in this next round. Some great matchups between European heavyweights.

ReallyRong
02-17-2009, 03:55 AM
Speaking of which, the US beat Mexico 2-0 today at Columbus, Ohio in a qualifier. (I know those of you across the pond care not a whit.)

Join the ever expanding club! There are rumours about him being lined up for the Portsmouth position, but I get the feeling that most of those are being planted, either by agents with a commission to earn or friendly journalists. In much the same way that Terry Venables' name seems to crop up whenever there's a vacancy. Joe Kinnear, manager at Newcastle is in for a heart op - so yep, the sports columns ring with the story that Tel's the man on the owner's speed dial to take care of the problem. Is he f**K. TBH Tony Adams was a weird choice in the first place at Portsmouth. He gave a newspaper interview before Christmas when he admitted that he didn't really like other people and would be happiest spending the rest of his life walking his dog along the beach. There were also rumblings from the dressing room that after defeats, when the manager was expected to "kick some ass" there was nothing but silence. And what with him being a self-confessed alcho and all... Anyhow, in other non-news, Wolves lost again at Burnley. We (Reading} are now four points behind with two games in hand. Two or three months ago they were out of sight. Now they're within touching distance. Bring it on!

Aschenbach
02-18-2009, 07:11 AM
Let's not malign Eriksson. Remember he took over a desperately poor England qualifying campaign in 2001, when Keegan had presided over a run of terrible results. SGE turned it round with that 5-1 against Germany in Berlin. He then got England qualified for every international competition he was in charge for, which was more than a lot of England managers have managed to do.

We did have a habit of going out at the quarter final stage under SGE. Which, for a team who have only once won an international trophy (the WC in '66), is about as good as we could have hoped for. But the FA replaced SGE with Mclaren. Result; we didn't even qualify for Euro '08. Managing England isn't as easy as it looks, methinks.

Sven is a very decent manager, especially when you count up the trophies he has won at club level in very different european domestic leagues. The fact he has never won the world cup with England, or hasn't turned Mexico into world beaters, has more to do with the pool of talent available than his failings.

(**note to fellow England fans; it won't be any different under Capello. He got us playing well against middling teams. But Spain, a quality team, took us apart last week and showed how far we are from winning a tournament. We will exit the 2010 world cup at the QF, maybe SF stage. Probably on penalties.**)

MrWrite
02-18-2009, 07:18 AM
(**note to fellow England fans; it won't be any different under Capello. He got us playing well against middling teams. But Spain, a quality team, took us apart last week and showed how far we are from winning a tournament. We will exit the 2010 world cup at the QF, maybe SF stage. Probably on penalties.**)[/quote]

And probably to germany or Argentina!

Adam Hammonds
02-18-2009, 07:20 AM
Managing England isn't as easy as it looks, methinks.

It doesn't look easy at all. It must be quite hard to manage a team that is at heart mediocre but considers itself great.

We will exit the 2010 world cup at the QF, maybe SF stage. Probably on penalties.**)

No doubt. South Africa will be about 2 teams and only 2 teams: Spain and Argentina.

(And whatever team Guus Hiddink is coaching.)

Aschenbach
02-18-2009, 08:07 AM
It doesn't look easy at all. It must be quite hard to manage a team that is at heart mediocre but considers itself great.

Very true. Liverpool have had exactly the same problem for about 20 years now.

South Africa will be about 2 teams and only 2 teams: Spain and Argentina.

No Brazil? Brazil are always the favourites, and rightly so.

Regarding penalties; Germany and Argentina will probably knock us out, but Portugal are coming on as regular international enemies these days. The B'stards!

Adam Hammonds
02-18-2009, 05:31 PM
I'm not a big fan of Dunga's Brazil. Although, to be fair, the normal failing of Brazil is their defense, and especially the goalkeeping. Whether that impression is solely because of Dida's mediocrity, I don't know. But now that they have Cesar in goal---who has to be at least tied for the best keeper in the world at the moment---then I suppose it's a solid defense and a solid team. I just feel Arg and Spain are more dangerous and are perfectly constructed squads already enmeshed and functioning at a high level: like those prefab houses you can just plop down anywhere. Spain could go into a game tomorrow with no practice whatsoever and win 3-0, without Torres. We'll see.

And I do regret, by the way, giving you easy entry to a Liverpool jibe. I will be more careful in the future.

waylander
02-18-2009, 05:53 PM

And with sky high public expectations

Adam Hammonds
02-19-2009, 08:01 AM
Jesus Christ, that performance from Scholes was out of this world. Don't know if I've ever seen a more complete midfield show than that. Maybe a Zidane game from back in the day or something. That was incredible; and it pains me slightly to say it. If that's the way it's going to be all the way going in, might as well deliver the trophy tonight.

Aschenbach
02-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Yes, it was a vintage performance by the Ginger Prince, including one of his trademark goals. It will be a sad day when he retires. He's signed up for next season, but he'll be about 35/36 at the end of it, pretty old for a central midfielder.

ReallyRong
02-20-2009, 03:59 AM
Jesus Christ, that performance from Scholes was out of this world. Don't know if I've ever seen a more complete midfield show than that. Maybe a Zidane game from back in the day or something. That was incredible; and it pains me slightly to say it. If that's the way it's going to be all the way going in, might as well deliver the trophy tonight.
Adam - as a matter of interest, is there any media reportage on your side of the pond in the involvement of US business people like the Glazer family at Man Utd, Hicks and Gillett at Liverpool or Randy Lerner at Aston Villa, and what they're up to?

Aschenbach
02-21-2009, 02:00 AM
Speaking of US businessmen and UK sports, Allen Stanford is all over the news here, probably for his high profile involvement with cricket as much as the fraud allegations.

Aschenbach
02-22-2009, 12:50 AM
Blackburn gave us a tough game tonight. They probably should have had a penalty, but we had a perfectly good goal disallowed, so all square.

The clean sheet record is over now, and in a way i'm glad about that. I think it was getting too much attention and the team could have felt extra pressure to keep it going. We can forget about it now.

8 points clear. Over to Liverpool tomorrow! Which City will turn up? The one who Notts Forest beat 3 nil in the FA cup? Or the one who won 6 nil against Portsmouth and 3 nil against Arsenal earlier this season?

Gerrard is out and an angry Craig Bellamy will be doing his best to prove Liverpool wrong for selling him. Should be a good game!

regdog
02-22-2009, 05:11 PM
I thought Blackburn really should have won. You knew when they hit the post Man U would score :(

MrWrite
02-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Come on Liverpool!

MrWrite
02-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Oops!

regdog
02-22-2009, 10:51 PM
Liverpool 1 Man City 1 Final.

Liverpool played a good game at the start, then they just seemed to fade halfway through the first

Adam Hammonds
02-23-2009, 08:12 PM
I feel it all slipping away.

waylander
02-24-2009, 02:11 AM
Unless Utd come seriously unstuck, which seems unlikely, it is all over.

MrWrite
02-24-2009, 02:12 AM
WHOO! We won a game away from home! :hooray:

Never thought I'd be so happy to beat a team like Hull :ROFL:

Still got a long way to go. Harry targeted five wins to guarantee safety and that's one of them in the bag.

ReallyRong
02-24-2009, 02:35 AM
Meanwhile, Wolves, Birmingham and ourselves are doing our damnedest to turn a three horse race into an open competition. Having been the top scorers in England we've now gone gone over 450 minutes without scoring, apart from the own goal from that idiot from Wolves who later got himself sent off, and all the time the mob are closing in. Squeaky bum time in the CCC!

waylander
02-24-2009, 03:17 AM
And maybe Southampton are getting act together - nah, too much to expect, it was only one win

regdog
02-24-2009, 03:23 PM
I feel it all slipping away.

Liverpool just seems to be going through the motions and not playing with any heart. It's like they've already decided it's over and are just showing up because they have to.

Unless Utd come seriously unstuck, which seems unlikely, it is all over.

I think you're right

regdog
02-26-2009, 02:03 AM
Middleboro 2 West Ham 0

What a lousy game West Ham played. bad from start to finish

MrWrite
02-26-2009, 02:20 AM
Liverpool beat Real Madrid 1 - 0 at Real. Great result for you!

waylander
02-26-2009, 02:20 AM
Top class free kick from Downing though

Aschenbach
02-26-2009, 03:09 AM
All the English clubs look like going through in the champs league. United the only ones not to win their first leg, but I wasn't impressed by Inter at all, and they were playing at home. Blackburn gave us a much tougher game last weekend.

We could still go out with the dreaded away goal (as has happened to United so many times before), but even if we only play to 80% of recent levels we should win the 2nd leg and go through. I hope (inserts anxiety smiley).

MrWrite
02-26-2009, 03:16 AM
United v Liverpool final anyone?

Aschenbach
02-26-2009, 07:53 AM
United v Liverpool final anyone?

Please don't say that. The tension would be unbearable. It would have happened last season but Liverpool bottled it and failed to beat Chelsea in their semi.

regdog
02-26-2009, 05:32 PM
Liverpool beat Real Madrid 1 - 0 at Real. Great result for you!

:snoopy::snoopy::snoopy:

Of course FSC didn't broadcast that game

ETA: I'll take Liverpool Vs. United

Now let's hope Liverpool pulls it together for an EPL game

regdog
02-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Arsenal 0 Fulham 0 final

Poor Arsenal didn't win and got booed at the end of the game. A moment for poor Arsenal

:ROFL::roll::ROFL::roll::ROFL::roll:

MrWrite
02-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Arsenal 0 Fulham 0 final

Poor Arsenal didn't win and got booed at the end of the game. A moment for poor Arsenal

:ROFL::roll::ROFL::roll::ROFL::roll:

All I can say is :e2moon: to Arsenal! :ROFL:

Aschenbach
03-01-2009, 04:07 AM
Anyone know if Gerrard got subbed today because of injury? Or did Rafa take him off to keep him fit for the Madrid game?

If it's the latter he has thrown the towel in too early. They HAVE to go all out to win every game, to keep pressure on United (who I support, btw) and be ready to pounce if they do drop points. It could happen. United, Newcastle and Arsenal have all thrown away big leads in the premiership era.
Although it is highly unlikely Liverpool could win the league this year, it isn't impossible. It only becomes impossible when you stop trying!

It seems to me Rafa is too defeatist. Too risk-averse. And that is why he won't win the prem, but will always have a good run in Europe. Because you can go all the way to the European final on draws and away goals, but to win leagues you need to try and get 3 points from every game.

Rafa has been in charge for 5 years now and doesn't look like changing his approach.
So, a question for Liverpool fans, do you think Rafa should go or be given more time? If so, how many more years?
(supporters of other clubs please chip in as well).

With Parry leaving it looks like you will have Benitez for next season, at least.

(PS looking forward to the final tomorrow, Mr Write? Looks like we're starting with a lot of youngsters. I predict it will be an end-to-end affair!)

ReallyRong
03-01-2009, 05:25 AM
United have it sown up yet again. End of. But whilst Rafa is beating the likes of Real Madrid he's pretty much untouchable. I can't remember even MU ever getting a result there, so it means that the Scousers still have some form of bragging rights. But then they lose to Middlesborough today?! What's that all about? I recently saw a newspaper interview with Torres where he said that he really identified with Liverpool being a working class club, much like his own beloved Athletico Madrid, but that he'd really been surprised when he talked to local fans that they were far more interested in winning the Premiership than the Champions league. I guess it goes back to the idea that there's little point in being crowned champions of Europe if you're not champions in your own back yard.

MrWrite
03-01-2009, 05:35 AM
The only thing I predict is there will be goals! LOL.

Not really expecting to win this one but you never know really. Depends which Spurs turns up!

Aschenbach
03-01-2009, 06:31 AM
whilst Rafa is beating the likes of Real Madrid he's pretty much untouchable. I can't remember even MU ever getting a result there, so it means that the Scousers still have some form of bragging rights. But then they lose to Middlesborough today?! What's that all about?

I don't think United have ever won at the Bernabau, although people with longer memories may correct me on that. We drew 0-0 at the Bernabau in the 1999-2000 champs league. Real won the second leg 3-2, and absolutely murdered us. But Real then had Ronaldo (the Brazilian one), Raul, and I want to say Zidane. It was at the height of the Galacticos era and they were palying like a 70's Brazil side. They were something else. We couldn't get near them, and this was the united side that won the treble the season before!

The Real that Liverpool beat last week have fallen a long way from those heights. Going off today, you would have to conclude Real are worse than Boro. And United's last prem game, Blackburn at home, was much harder work than Inter away.
I know you can't read too much into single games, but I think the English leagues are much healthier than the continental leagues at the moment.

Aschenbach
03-01-2009, 06:35 AM
The only thing I predict is there will be goals! LOL.

Definitely. I'm tempted to put a bet on for a 4 goal minimum, in normal time.

Adam Hammonds
03-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Rafa should be given more time.

Your theory Asch at first seems spot on, but then look at the starting 11 for just about every one of our 10 draws and 2 defeats this season and you'll realize that pre-match LFC were heavy favorites to win. I mean come on, that Middlesborough side? The one that had scored a single solitary goal in 2009 and hadn't won in 4 months? We couldn't pound that side into the ground with the team that started (which included Stevie)? It's not Benitez's subbing of Gerrard with 20 to go down 2 goals (which he's done before by the way; and he's done it with Torres too), it's more this on again off again spirit and lackluster all-round class that permeates the squad. Simple fact: LFC do not have anywhere near United's class in depth. Should we, with the amount Rafa has had to spend over the last 5 years? Maybe. But then again, it is impossible to say how much control he's had over transfers in that period, what with Rick Parry being titularly in charge of them. Many of our flops can be attributed I believe to Parry.

Anyway, no excuses. LFC aren't good enough. We can win a cup competition because the total number of games to get up for and plan for and pour all our class into is a small number, less than ten. But when it comes to 38 games, in all likelihood it will be the squad with the most ability that prevails, regardless of tactics or defeatism.

My opinion: give him two more seasons. Give him the same transfer budget Man U and Chelsea enjoy with total control over transfers. See what happens.

MrWrite
03-01-2009, 06:38 PM
The teams for todays cup final...

1426: TEAMS Man Utd v Tottenham
Man Utd: Foster, O'Shea, Evans, Ferdinand, Evra, Ronaldo, Scholes, Gibson, Nani, Tevez, Welbeck. Subs: Kuszczak, Anderson, Giggs, Park, Vidic, Possebon, Eckersley.
Tottenham: Gomes, Corluka, Dawson, King, Assou-Ekotto, Lennon, Jenas, Zokora, Modric, Bent, Pavlyuchenko. Subs: Alnwick, Bale, Bentley, Huddlestone, Gunter, Taarabt, O'Hara.

MrWrite
03-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Half time report 0-0 so far. Spurs playing some good football and Lennon is our biggest threat. United haven't really gotten hold of the game despite having Scholes and Ronaldo out there.

COME ON YOU SPURS! :D

MrWrite
03-01-2009, 09:36 PM
0-0 after extra time. Been a real nailbiting game but whatever happens Spurs made me proud today more than matching United.

Penalties it is then! :scared:

MrWrite
03-01-2009, 09:47 PM
I feel sick. We played so well for the whole Final and blew it on penalties. Bentley wasn't even on target! He has to go. He scored one wonder goal against Arsenal early in the season but has done nothing since.

Congratulations to Manchester United. I feel like I've been kicked in the teeth though after we matched you for so long.

Adam Hammonds
03-02-2009, 12:42 AM
That ending felt all too easy. It was as if it was handed to United. But well done to Spurs for a huge effort and not getting played off. Liked seeing Keane too, even if he couldn't play.

Agree on Bentley: way overrated.

regdog
03-02-2009, 03:43 PM
I feel sick. We played so well for the whole Final and blew it on penalties. Bentley wasn't even on target! He has to go. He scored one wonder goal against Arsenal early in the season but has done nothing since.

Congratulations to Manchester United. I feel like I've been kicked in the teeth though after we matched you for so long.

Sorry about your Spurs :(

MrWrite
03-02-2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks. Still proud of them though. United put out a strong team not their regular first but they had Ronaldo, Tevez, Scholes, Nani later on they had Giggs so they were quite a force and we didn't have Keane or Palacios and one or two others were missing so we weren't full strength either. We gave them a good game. :D

If we can play like that for the rest of the season we should be fine.

MrWrite
03-11-2009, 01:39 AM
So Liverpool spanked Real Madrid 4 - 0! Great result.
How can a team that plays so well in the Champions League be struggling in the Prem?

Liverpool V United in the Final? I hope so!!! :D

Match of the century that would be!

waylander
03-11-2009, 02:11 AM
Liverpool were a bit fortunate with the penalty though

ReallyRong
03-11-2009, 03:54 AM
Couldn't believe that Real were so outplayed so easily. Chelsea against Juventus was a great result as well, and a fascinating match. Depending on results tomorrow night, it could be that the Premiership four all get through to the last eight. Does that say something about the state of the Premiership or the state of the other European leagues?

jst5150
03-11-2009, 04:12 AM
Wow! What a win today!

Aschenbach
03-13-2009, 01:12 AM
Depending on results tomorrow night, it could be that the Premiership four all get through to the last eight. Does that say something about the state of the Premiership or the state of the other European leagues?

2nd year in a row now all 4 prem clubs have got through to the last 8. Depending on the draw it could be an all-English final again. Definitely there will be one English team in the final, I would bet the house on it. (unless they are all drawn together in the next round!)

I think it says the top 4 in England are some way ahead of other top teams in Europe. United weren't great last night but they comfortably went through against the current (and probably the next) champions of Italy. Liverpool smashed Real. Arsenal and Chelsea were less emphatic but still came through, and deservedly so.

But if you look at the UEFA cup I think only City are still left in it of the English teams. So outside the top 4, the premiership probably isn't much stronger than other European leagues.
Course, its the champs league money the top 4 get year after year that has allowed them to pull away from everyone else in the premier league and do well in Europe.

At least all the new billionaire foreign owners at clubs like City and Villa give these teams a chance of spending their way into the top 4. It worked for Chelsea.

MrWrite
03-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Half time at Old Trafford United 1 Liverpool 2.

A game of two penalties so far. United went in front when Reina brought down Park. Ronaldo scored although Reina did go the right way.

Liverpool answered through Torres and then late in the half Liverpool were given a penalty which Gerrard converted.

Pulsating game so far. After United dominated early on, Liverpool came into the game more as the half progressed. Now it could go either way.

Come on Liverpool! :D

regdog
03-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Liverpool 4 ManU 1

Woo Hoo

:TheWave::TheWave::PartySmil:PartySmil:PartySmil:P artySmil

MrWrite
03-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Great win for the reds. Prem title race is still well and truly on!

Aschenbach
03-14-2009, 06:53 PM
I feel sick. I have no more to say.

MrWrite
03-14-2009, 07:01 PM

Sorry mate, there really isn't anything you can say is there? :roll:

regdog
03-14-2009, 07:06 PM

Sorry mate, there really isn't anything you can say is there? :roll:

Now, now, it's not nice to gloat :ROFL::roll::ROFL::roll::ROFL::roll:

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/regdog/smiley-sport004.gif

Can't for get this one either

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/regdog/smiley-sport031.gif

MrWrite
03-14-2009, 07:08 PM
Now, now, it's not nice to gloat :ROFL::roll::ROFL::roll::ROFL::roll:

Can't for get this one either

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/regdog/smiley-sport031.gif

LOL you were saying about gloating? And Liverpool are my second team. Imagine what I'd be like if they were my first!....or if Spurs beat United! :e2brows: