Too old to make it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigercub

Registered
Reaction score
I was reading a book called Writer's Digest Guide to Making Money in Freelance Writing, published in 1997. The last article was by Russ Galen, and it was about how to get a career as a best-selling author. One thing he said stood out and absolutely shocked me.

He said that very few publishers and agents will even take a chance on a writer who's 50 or over because, frankly, "older" writers may not have enough time left to write very many books, and they certainly don't have enough time to develop a career as a best selling author.

Excuse me?? Hello?? Since when is 50 ancient and decrepit? Average lifespan is nearly 80, and many people live well beyond that, not as vegetables but as vital human beings.

I would be tempted to dismiss this, but this is Russ Galen for pete's sake, who certainly should know agents and publishers.

I belong to AARP. Am I simply too old to give this novel-writing thing a go? And why would an agent or a publisher even ask my age? Isn't this ageism?

Ellefire

Citizen Of Planet Random
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's given me a bit of hope. I'm still in my thirties and it's crossed my mind more than once tht I'm too old already to be going down this path. I tell you, I look back at my teens and twenties and I could cry. All those years I could have been writing and building up a career. The fact that I was raising four kids and having multiple nervous breakdowns is small comfort. Still, if the bar is 50, then I can breathe a small sigh of relief.

I have no idea what AARP is, but I think even at 50, if it's good enough, it's good enough.

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
He said that very few publishers and agents will even take a chance on a writer who's 50 or over because, frankly, "older" writers may not have enough time left to write very many books, and they certainly don't have enough time to develop a career as a best selling author.

British author, Mary Wesley, had her first novel published at 71. She wrote ten best-sellers, some of which were made into TV series, before she died in 2002 aged 90.

Excuse me?? Hello?? Since when is 50 ancient and decrepit? Average lifespan is nearly 80, and many people live well beyond that, not as vegetables but as vital human beings.

So true. Add to that the fact that someone who is retired tends to have more time to write - not to mention that they have experience of life to call on.

The sad fact is that some agents do discriminate in favour of young writers, but, happily, this is not the case with all agents.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I pity the fool who tells me I'm too old for anything! ( sorry for the lame A-team reference)

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Case in point.

Annie Proulx is a case in point. She was born 1935 and her first novel was published 1992. She has won a Pulitzer and the O. Henry award (twice) as well as "Best short story of the year" at least twice. She wrote The Shipping News and Brokeback Mountain, both of which were made into films.

There must be other examples of late developers...

I can see how age could be a deal-breaker for some agents/publishers, but if the material is good enough, it shouldn't matter how old you are.

PS Forgive my iggorance, but who the heck is Russ Galen?

Last edited:

Virector

The only one
Registered
Reaction score
I am actually quite young, in theory, but I don't know-- I always feel like somehow, I'm running out of time. I feel like once I get to a certain age, it just won't work, which I'm aware is complete hogwash, but still, I wallow in the fear that at a certain age, I will NOT be able to make it. I don't really know why I have that conception, but... oh well. Never mind.

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
The Power of Positive Thinking.

I am actually quite young, in theory, but I don't know-- I always feel like somehow, I'm running out of time. I feel like once I get to a certain age, it just won't work, which I'm aware is complete hogwash, but still, I wallow in the fear that at a certain age, I will NOT be able to make it. I don't really know why I have that conception, but... oh well. Never mind.

Never forget the PPT
And never let the bu**ers get you down.

:)

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad I didn't see that fourteen years ago when I turned 50. But I wasn't writing then, so it probably wouldn't have mattered.

narnia

Registered
Reaction score
I sincerely hope that if the next JKR or SM (for example) crossed an agent's desk he/she won't pass because the author is on the wrong side of 50.

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
The bias may well exist. I recall on one of Miss Snark's posts Rachael Vater admitting to something like that. However, no agent or publisher has said anything like that to me directly.

Not yet ready for an elephant's graveyard, I am 76.5 and still writing. My first published novel (not the first I wrote) came out last year, and another will be available any day now on line at Amazon, B&N, and the others as well as in Books in Print so it can be ordered from booksellers.

Do not give up.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was reading a book called Writer's Digest Guide to Making Money in Freelance Writing, published in 1997.

That, to me, is the key. What Galen said was what he believed more than 10 years ago. My question is--what would he say now? Opinions change, after all. At that time, in that market with whoever was on the editorial staffs of the major publishers, it might have been true. Today, who knows if he'd say the same thing since the market and the editorial staffs have changed.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I keep hearing people say this, and yet, I keep seeing first novels being published by people in their fifties, sixties, and later.

I wouldn't worry about anything except writing the best book you possibly can. :)

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Doesn't count

Didn't George Burns write a book?

Celebrities can write books anytime they like. For the purposes of this discussion, they don't count. (Sean Connery has a book out - I saw it in the bookshops yesterday)

:)

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Where do I find this Russ Galen guy? I'm gonna whup on him with my cane. Whippersnapper!

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...but I suppose they will find out sooner or later. They might want to meet you at some point...

But by then, it's usually after they've sold your book and are making money off you. At least, that's been what I've seen with various friends who have agents or gotten new ones.

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Not what I heard...

But by then, it's usually after they've sold your book and are making money off you. At least, that's been what I've seen with various friends who have agents or gotten new ones.

I heard when Eoin Colfer (Artemis Fowl) first queried, an agent in London rang him and asked him to fly to London for a meeting immediately (before any contracts were signed or anything).

Status
Not open for further replies.