Can't Get into Password Locked Forums

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
I can't get into the forums that require passwords. I've tried enabling cookies and then asking to make sure I was doing it right and it didn't work. I type in the password click log in and it just takes me back to the log in screen.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
That happens to me sometimes... Clear cookies, log in, and try again. Or alternatively, you could do what I do and go with Safari. :)

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Also clear forms and temporary internet files. If you use IE7 or Firefox the option is there along with cookies, in Safari it's all lumped under Clear Cache.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
That happens to me sometimes... Clear cookies, log in, and try again. Or alternatively, you could do what I do and go with Safari. :)

Also clear forms and temporary internet files. If you use IE7 or Firefox the option is there along with cookies, in Safari it's all lumped under Clear Cache.

Tried both and still can't log in. Thanks for trying though. What's Safari?

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, but I think I'll stick with what I've got. I don't think my mom would take too kindly to me downloading new web browsers.

Reaction score
I had the same problem and it seemed to sort itself out after a week or two of me trying to get in.

Weird.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
The usual way to fix this is:

• Clear your browser's cookies
    • If using Internet Explorer, select Tools > Internet Options > Delete button (under Browsing history)
    • If using Firefox, select Tools > Clear Private Data
  • Close your browser, then restart it
  • Sign back into AW with your usual username/password
  • Go to Share Your Work and supply the vista password when prompted
If that still doesn't work, shout!

-Derek

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Ok I tried everything I could think of. I set cookies to the lowest possible setting (accept all) and tried it...didn't work. Then I tried clicking out of all the other web pages I was on at the time, restarting my computer, everything...didn't work. My computer really doesn't like cookies. Oh and I have Internet Explorer if that makes any difference.

Also in the box where it's supposed to say the last post it says "Never". Is that normal?

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Well dammit, if you've cleared your browser's cookies and restarted, things should be working.

"Never" is the default label since you can't see threads in the passworded forum so that's OK.

I'm using IE7. My Tools > Internet Options > Security tab is set to "Internet" i.e. unrestricted, and my Privacy tab is set to "Medium"

Where and what else are you adjusting in IE?

-Derek

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
I'm using IE7. My Tools > Internet Options > Security tab is set to "Internet" i.e. unrestricted, and my Privacy tab is set to "Medium"

Mine's the same and I have all those settings. I've tried to adjust the settings under the Privacy tab to Accept all cookies. I've been deleting cookies by going to the Delete Browsing History... menu and clicking Delete cookies... Other than that I haven't changed any of the other settings.

Reaction score
Whether this is any help or not, Horseride, what you're doing is exactly what I did last week or the week before. It seemed to sort itself out after a while and I got in to those fora. If it doesn't work after you reboot it might just be a matter of trial and error, seeing if you get in the next time you come online.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Just asking -- shot in the dark -- have you tried signing out of AW, then deleting cookies, then closing and restarting your browser, and signing in again afresh?

-Derek

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
:Hammer: Scarlet - I tried that once. I shut everything off and restarted the computer. I don't know what is wrong with it. It does this with everything that involves cookies. There are a couple of websites I can't even log into because of it.

Reaction score
Then I'm afraid you're left with only one option.

Start swearing at your computer.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
For test purposes or perhaps as a workaround, consider installing Firefox (if you haven't already) and seeing if you can sign in and access AW's Share Your Work forum from there.

-Derek

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Just another shot in the dark - do you have any add-in menus in your browser that have pop-up blockers?

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
sorry for being so late in replying. Turn the blocker off, try to gain access. If you are in, then that's the problem. The blocker should have an option to allow particular sites through. Tell it to allow AW through.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
:Hammer:
sorry for being so late in replying. Turn the blocker off, try to gain access. If you are in, then that's the problem. The blocker should have an option to allow particular sites through. Tell it to allow AW through.

Nope. First I tried adding AW, didn't work. Then I tried turning off the blocker, didn't work. Finally I tried turning it to "Accept all cookies" while the pop-up blocker was off. Still didn't work. I guess I'll just have to wait and keep trying.

:flag:

Deleted member 42

First, make sure you know the log in for your AW account

Then
Please try logging off aw
clearing your cache
clearing the AW cookies
CLOSE /Exit/Quit your browser. There should be no browser windows or tabs open.
Launch/Start/Open your browser again
Try a passworded forum; make sure you are using the correct password.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Then
Please try logging off aw
clearing your cache
clearing the AW cookies
CLOSE /Exit/Quit your browser. There should be no browser windows or tabs open.
Launch/Start/Open your browser again
Try a passworded forum; make sure you are using the correct password.

:rant:

Thanks for trying, but nope it still comes back to the log in screen. Doesn't say password is incorrect or anything like that.

If we can't figure out anything different, my grandpa's getting a laptop in a couple days and he's going to let me borrow it. I can try it on there and see if it works that way.