Word for a page coming loose from a book?

miles

agent at The Knight Agency
Registered
Reaction score
Website
knightagency.net
If an old book falls to the floor and some pages come loose, is there a professional term for this? Something like: "came unbound"?
"Ripped loose" doesn't seem right to me, but I can't think of a better phrase. Is there a better phrase for the bolded words in the excerpt below?

***​

With a cry of rage, Shade dropped the chain and collapsed. He took a few deep breaths, then grabbed the desk and flung it over in frustration. It hit with such force the pitcher shattered and the cover flew off the Bible. Murky water splashed everywhere. Several pages of scripture ripped loose.

***​

Thanks!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would probably use "Several pages of the Bible came loose."

Since they really weren't torn loose or pulled loose.

JMHO

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Came unglued. Broke free of their binding.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think there is a word that describes pages falling out of a book, but if you drop an old book it might brake the spine allowing pages to come lose.However, it is only modern books that can have single pages falling out. Old books, the pages are held together with twine and would need to be ripped/torn out.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd want to check on how old miles means. Seems to me the just glued in pages have been around for a while. I also kind of think there were small stitched sections glued in so a section might come out before plain glue. Puma

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
There have been a number of ways developed, over the years ,to hold a book together.Most of them are still used .With mass production came something called Perfect binding ,which is the one we are all familiar with.A block of loose pages are held together with a hinge of glue. The type of book ,as well as age ,will dictate how the book is bound. So,are we throwing a cheap paperback across the room or are we a scholar studying in a cathedral library?

Last edited:

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
Have you asked a librarian? I used to work in the school library for one of my high school classes, and I had to repair books that had broken bindings or other kinds of damage. A librarian probably has run across this (certainly, they did a few months ago when I reported that one of the pages in a book I checked out had come out!).

miles

agent at The Knight Agency
Registered
Reaction score
Website
knightagency.net
Thanks everyone!

It makes no difference to me if the Bible is old or new. The only thing that has to happen is some pages come loose (because there's something written on one of them that the MC has to see).

Puma, I like the suggestion: "broke free of their binding". However, I seem to remember reading that the pronoun "their" is only supposed to refer to living things, but I could be wrong.

trickywoo

Registered
Reaction score
I would maybe avoid the specific term and just try and describe what happened to the pages - unless it's important that they actually tore loose. Something like: A torn page of scripture rustled, and then all was still. Depending on your storyline you could even have your MC walk over and pick up the torn page and read some obscurely appropriate verse. Good luck!

trickywoo

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

It makes no difference to me if the Bible is old or new. The only thing that has to happen is some pages come loose (because there's something written on one of them that the MC has to see).

Puma, I like the suggestion: "broke free of their binding". However, I seem to remember reading that the pronoun "their" is only supposed to refer to living things, but I could be wrong.

Oops! Just saw this... nevermind earlier post.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
How about unbound "Some pages came unbound and fell from the book."