ID an animal skull?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
This is not for story research but another little project. Would this be a mink skull? the two big teeth are fake but the sockets were fairly large suggesting some kind of carnivore?

4.jpg

Last edited:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you provide a sharper image with 2 angles you'll have a better chance of getting an ID. Oh, and get a good shot of those teeth.

Someone might know right off, or have a mammalogy book with skull ID (or maybe there's something online?)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It kind of looks like a coyote skull. The size seems right as well.

I'm no skull expert however.

jgold

Grinning
Registered
Reaction score
If it's a North American mammal, try this link here and do a visual search to compare.

Based on that picture, I'd say raccoon, but it could also be a member of the weasel family. You'll need to compare the number/type of teeth along the profile to be sure.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
From the size and shape of the front teeth between the canines, I'm more inclined to say some kind of grass eater - groundhog (woodchuck) maybe. But a lot also depends on the size of the skull - it could be a smaller rodent which I suspect from the size of the bottle beside the statue in the picture. So maybe a prairie dog or ground squirrel. The nasal area is also a bit odd - there don't seem to be any remnants of bone left to indicate the division. Puma

From the link given above - a skunk looks like a definite possibility.

Last edited:

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
You need three views, front, side, and top, with a ruler in each picture. Images must be sharp and lighting consistent.

From what you've got, I'd go with a small rodent as well. Eye sockets seem to be set rather far back for a carnivore. Herbivores tend to need side vision while carnivores look forward. Incisors are big, regardless of whether herbivore or carnivore. If anything, herbivore's are probably bigger and have a larger socket. Nasal bone is very unusual and suggests some possibility of damage. Lower jaw is missing, further complicating this.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Puma and jclarkedawe. My first thought based on the dentition was a lagomorph (rabbit), but a rabbit might be too big. It's hard to tell without better pics from different angles and ruler to give scale.

The eye sockets are large which is why it looks rabbitty to me. *shrug*

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
It's been a while but I can't think of an animal with three sets of incisors between the canines. The angle of the canines are also more typical of boar tusks that are growing from the wrong portion of the skull. Assuming that plastic container is a 55 gallon drum of lotion to give some scale;) this creature would be about 6 feet tall. There's a large white beard obscuring the jaw. Is this Satan Claus?

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Large eye sockets indicate small animal and probably nocturnal. Large canines indicate carnivore or omnivore, look at the molars, are they designed for eating grass? The incisors look like they are designed for gnawing. this might be a squirrel, or the night time cousin of one.

Last edited:

Moniquill

Registered
Reaction score
Website
moniquillwrites.livejournal.com
Do you have a shot of it as viewed from above? As an amateur skull collector without a reference to size, my best guess is raccoon. (They DO have six incisors between their canines, actually) http://www.skullsunlimited.com/graphics/lq-625-md.jpg

Though I suppose it could also be a Marten:
http://www.skullsunlimited.com/graphics/sm-275-md.jpg

Both animals have skulls readily available on the market because they're valued in the fur trade.

Further comparison shots can be found here: http://www.skullsunlimited.com/site-map.htm