Pets and soundproofing

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know a cheap and easy (and effective) way to go about soundproofing a room to keep cat/dog/bird/etc. noises from getting in/out from/to neighboring rooms?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
create a sound barrier or baffler. Ever notice how most radio booths/recording studios have a variated foam barrier all around it? Sound travels in a wave, so breaking up that wave reduces the strength of it.

This could be done as easily as putting up corrugated cardboard.

Rabe...

ChimeraCreative

Been there, Done that.
Registered
Reaction score
I know musicians will line their jam space walls with egg cartons. It wouldn't be practical to staple egg cartons to a wall, but it's possible to staple cartons to baords then prop them against the wall. Dogs might shred the cartons.

Quilts and blankets strung up muffle sounds but again, the dogs would probably pull them down.

-An

Oberon

Registered
Reaction score
Re egg cartons. In my hippie-dippie days I papered one wall of my pad with 12 inch by 12 inch egg crate dividers I got from an egg distributor or whatever it was called back in chicago. And now i can't remember how I put them up. Staples? Glue? I do remember that painting them was a bitch -- so absorbent! That, and the mural I painted on another wall, reduced my rent deposit refund when I moved. The door in the room could be a problem, whatever you decide to do.