Internet Explorer

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have heard about the security problems with Internet Explorer 7. I have Internet Explorer 6 and was wondering if the same security risk applies to that version. Also if it doesn't is it necessary for me to download the Explorer 6 Servicepack Update.

I downloaded Firefox and really hate it. I would much rather stick with IE if I can. Thanks for any info and help :)

Oh I wanted to e-mail Microsoft and ask them, $59 charge. :tongue No way.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Speaking as an IE7 user, who sees Windows Update pulling down the latest security updates for IE and Windows Defender on a regular basis, I'm not losing any sleep over these continual "security issues" that techie websites are always reporting and civilian channels keep parroting without really knowing what they're talking about.

Downloading the service pack for IE6 might not be such a bad idea for you, it'll contain security updates you may not have.

But, love it or hate it, the up-to-date Firefox 3 is a much safer bet than IE6. If IE6 was all I had, I'd bite the bullet and make the jump to Firefox (which I use if I have to, tho' I also prefer IE).

-Derek

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When there is a security problem that become known, MS will then create a patch and send it out (and also restate your computer as necessary). They did this a couple of times last week; I'm guessing possibly because of the problem with IE.

Just out of curiosity, what did you hate Firefox? After using IE for years I switched to FF two or three years ago and, after getting used to it for a few days, become just as comfortable with it.

ETA: I was typing my reply as Derek was posting; we've basically say the same thing about MS automatically updating IE. It's the security flaws that haven't become pubic knowledge that you have to worry about.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Derek. I downloaded a system upgrade fro my operating system and a couple of updates for IE 6 were in there. So I'm going to stick with 6

Thank alley I don't like FF because I can't work my Photobucket as well. I can't use my Verizon toolbar in Firefox. It keeps wanting to change my homepage. Maybe I'm just really used to the IE set up.

Thanks again guys:)

Last edited:

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
How are you getting along with Chrome, DJ?

I've been using it for a few days but I've found that I cannot enter certain sites because they don't "recognize" Chrome. Mailed Chrome about it but it's like talking to a brick wall.

Right now I'm trying Opera. I've never liked IE and the last time I used it, about three days ago, it fouled up summat awful. And I'm on automatic updates!

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen reports lately that IE 7 is 'insecure' but I don't really know much about the reasons behind it. Anyhow, I only use it to check my hotmail, as it synchronizes with MSN messenger, which I more or less leave running all day.

I found Chrome wonderful, especially it's simple interface. Everything you need is there, and it works faster on my computer than the other browsers (this may be due to my net speed which is around 300 kbps- I know that most American DSL speeds are significantly greater). Chrome doesn't work with a couple sites, and I use Firefox for those. But- I mostly stick to Chrome.

IMO, Chrome is best, with Firefox close behind. I find IE annoying as it makes 'clicking' noises unnecessarily. However, considering the wide usage of IE, I doubt that it is as insecure as tech sites are putting out.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
IMO, Chrome is best, with Firefox close behind. I find IE annoying as it makes 'clicking' noises unnecessarily. However, considering the wide usage of IE, I doubt that it is as insecure as tech sites are putting out.

Actually that's the exact reason why it's so insecure. Microsoft has be become the defacto target for virus and malware makers. Because they also have a history of not fixing problems but rather just hiding them in a different way with each fix, it becomes a game to find the newest flaw in IE.

For legit users this becomes a big problem. As a web designer I have to play let's see where MS hid the hack this time...because they don't fix standard problems they just change the character used to hack the system.

As MS looses market share other systems and software get targeted. Firefox is become a quick target as are Macs. You can't hid under the "we're more secure because we're niche" umbrella for very long.

That's why, if you connect to the internet, you should have a firewall running, an anti virus and a spy ware checker. Nothing is completely secure.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I wondered wby my computer was slowing to a standstill. Deleted Chrome and it speeded up.

Chrome does not have all the functions I'm used to seeing in a browser--and don't think you'll get an answer if you contact them with a question. Doesn't worry me now--it's off my computer.

I tried Firefox but I don't need all their bells and whistles. What am I? Five-years-old? I don't consider myself a techie but even I don't need to be led by the hand with all those pretty icons.

As for Opera--don't even mention it!

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
I tried Firefox but I don't need all their bells and whistles. What am I? Five-years-old? I don't consider myself a techie but even I don't need to be led by the hand with all those pretty icons.

Led by the hand with icons? I'm not sure what you mean by that...default FF has no more icons than Ie7.