Driving To California

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
the day after Christmas w/ my 2 pups to settle things at my mom's house. Weird, that's the first time I've referred to my mom's pup as "mine." Uh-oh, I just heard her say, "Not so fast, she still belongs to me." :) Yeah, I still hear her. Funny, that. Some of the exchanges are interesting.

Anyhoo, I'll be traveling w/ those 2 and will be arriving around New Year's Eve, depending on which way I go. And, of course that depends on the weather which doesn't want to cooperate, regardless. According to the weather I've been paying attention to, there are several storms stacked up in the west, waiting to attack us ;) And, they're strategically placed to strike the south, in case you guys thought you were safe :D

I've got all sorts of things, chains, extra water and plenty of winter clothing to see me through. Once I've got my route planned, I'll let you know so if I'm coming through "your" town, maybe we can meet up. Last time, I met OFG and the imaginary 'Ole Boy, Shwebb and of course, Shweta and her hubby and I made drip sand castles (we're going to meet up, again since I'll be in CA for 3 weeks).

On the way back, I'll be going through the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, Badlands National Park, Mt. Rushmore, then down the Great River Road to St Louis and then home. Each spot will be for a day, no more so it's not going to be as long as it sounds. I decided that after all the crap w/ my mom's death and her asshole son contesting the trust, I should have some fun. Yeah, I'm related to the asshole, but I've disowned him. He's turned his kids against me, too. There goes the remainder of my immediate family. I'll be going home on I-80, so after a stop in St. Louis, I'll be heading back up to I-80, then a quick stop in upstate NY to visit my godmother.

I'll be travelling w/ a friend of mine from Gallup through Mt. Rushmore, then I'm on my own.

So, if I'm in your area, please let me know. Like I said, I'll post the route I'm taking west when I know.

In the interim, I do hope that everyone has a wonderful holiday season :Hug2: whatever you celebrate.

Last edited:

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
If you're going to the Grand Canyon, stop in Williams and take the train! I'm sure there's a website for it.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Where in New York? I'm in the western part and it would be my pleasure to see you. (Hopefully, yours, too.)

And don't forget to check here to see if any of your favorite AWers are on your route.

Maryn, already thinking of restaurants

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Where in New York? I'm in the western part and it would be my pleasure to see you. (Hopefully, yours, too.)

And don't forget to check here to see if any of your favorite AWers are on your route.

Maryn, already thinking of restaurants
They live in Penn Yan. I'm trying like hell to think of what's near it...

It would definitely be my pleasure to see you. I clicked on the link, and everyone is more or less...everywhere!

She likes Bar-B-Que, Maryn. :)

Keep us posted, Jean Marie... we'll be here part of the time, if you make it through Oklahoma again! Hugs!
I'll be zig zagging, Jen depending on the weather, but Oklahoma is more than likely on my path, since I have to go through Gallup and then down through Yuma. After that, it's straight on in to SD. Prior to that, who knows.

I've got your number in my cell. I was going to say, literally :ROFL:, but I didn't want to give too much away....I do love BBQ

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
We did the southern half of that trip in 2007, and we're planning the northern half this summer. You're going to have a wonderful trip. Take lots of pictures. :)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Have a great trip!

I'm thinking of doing one this summer/fall as well, and try to hit as many national parks as I can.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Oh yeah, loads of pics is the order of the day, Don.

The second 1/2 of the trip is going to be great and I'm definitely looking forward to it. It's needed, too.

A little snow makes it that much more gorgeous, also.

Thanks, Ray. Should be a total blast and then some!

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
I still regret not going to see the Grand Canyon when I was in Arizona years ago. Granted, I was still in High School and was dependent on the family I was staying with (a friend was moving back in with her Dad-- he had the car :tongue) But I did see it once when I was flying home from L.A. Although from 30,000 feet it was little more than a crack in the ground. An impressive crack, but a crack none-the-less. :D

Have a safe trip!

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Jean Marie, happy holidays and have fun and be safe. ((((((HUGS)))))))) Merry Christmas, everyone!

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I still regret not going to see the Grand Canyon when I was in Arizona years ago. Granted, I was still in High School and was dependent on the family I was staying with (a friend was moving back in with her Dad-- he had the car :tongue) But I did see it once when I was flying home from L.A. Although from 30,000 feet it was little more than a crack in the ground. An impressive crack, but a crack none-the-less. :D

Have a safe trip!

The Grand Canyon in the winter is beautiful. Cold, but super fabulous to look at. Cold. Very cold.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
road trips can be tedious but they can also be a lot of fun, and you're seeing a lot of cool things. too bad, it doesn't sound like you'll be on my end of I-80.(Sacramento, CA), but if you are, I'd love to meet you for coffee..
be safe.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
In State College, PA. Let me know if you come through this way on 80 or I99. :) Would love to have you stay or share a meal or whatever. PM me if you're coming my way and we can exchange digits :)

Safe travels, Sweetie :)

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Thanks, everyone :D I'm getting very excited even though the weather is looking rather ominous. I'll definitely take it slow and safe both directions and have a blast on the way back.

I'm in the process of making sure I've got all the practical items packed, just in case, both for me and the pups. Emergency supplies and the like; extra food and water. No doubt they're covered, first. Flashlight, things like that...yeah, I've got a map, too! And, I'm a AAA member.

Merry day before Christmas Eve everyone :D