Wolf names

ComicSutra

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.comicsutra.com
I've been hunting for ideas for hours, going through name Web sites, wolf Web sites, etc.

Here's the deal:
I have a character who was taken to the fairie lands (very dark fantasy version) and turned into a wolf. There she acted as a hunter/tracker for her master, hunting down other humans who had been kidnapped and were trying to escape. She was completely in the thrall of her master and as such had no control over her actions even though inside, she hated it. Sometimes she was forced to kill those she hunted.

Eventually she gets out and returns to our world.

I'm trying to come up with a name her master would have given her in wolf form. It needs to be descriptive of what he had her do but nothing I'm coming up with is resonating. "Wolf" can be in the name. I'm trying to convey that she was a good hunter and/or tracker or always brought back her prey, etc.

BTW, she HATES that name but back in our world, when dealing with other escapees, she might be stuck using it. Well, she won't want to use it, but others may be able to sense/discern her name from the fae realm. She's deeply ashamed of what she did in the fae realm and now acts as a protector.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pick a nationality for the master. Say, Russian.

Have him name wolves accordingly, in the mother tongue. Shaggy. Whitefang. Cujo. Scooby. w/e

ComicSutra

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.comicsutra.com
Pick a nationality for the master. Say, Russian.

Have him name wolves accordingly, in the mother tongue. Shaggy. Whitefang. Cujo. Scooby. w/e

That's good in theory except the master is from the fairie realms. I don't mean a given ethnic group's fairy tales. I mean the fae realm behind them all so there's no correlation to human language except that they're able to make themselves understood to their human slaves. I could make a name and say it means whatever but that still leaves me with the main problem -- what does the name mean in English?

sigh. I've been wracking my brain for a week on this before searching the internet today, but I'm still stuck.

Also, this version of the fae doesn't give a damn about human pop culture so I can't be ironic and use Cujo or Scooby or such. This version of the fae view humans a mix of lab rats, bugs and convenient tools so they have little to no interest in our culture; only how they can play with us or how we can serve them.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Try WordMorph--unsure whether it's a free download or not, as mine came with a writing package. It's helped me create names that are easy to pronounce, but have a foreign/other worldly sound to them.

If not, try looking up stories regarding Fae, versus wolves, and the names of the Fae characters.

Also, the Fae of Tuatha da' originate from Irish and Scottish folklore, so you might want to look at the Gaelic language in order to help you choose a name as well.

Ciera_

He could call her 'Terror', perhaps. I like it.
'Bringer' (she brings him what/who he wants)
'Dragger' (sounds sorta cool, but a bit too much like both 'dragon' and 'dagger')

I know none of those have 'wolf' in them...

Deliverer? (of PAIN!...or not)
Hmm, something minioney...
Thrallwolf
Vengewolf (ooh! but is it about vengeance, anyway?)

Sorry, that's all I've got right now.
Good luck!

Vengewolf and Terror are my favourites of those.

ComicSutra

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.comicsutra.com
If not, try looking up stories regarding Fae, versus wolves, and the names of the Fae characters.

Also, the Fae of Tuatha da' originate from Irish and Scottish folklore, so you might want to look at the Gaelic language in order to help you choose a name as well.

I tried Fae stories, wolves, cross connections -- not really working so far. The Gaelic thing didn't produce much either (ditto for other languages. The Germanic languages also have a lot of names that derive from wolf). I can find a million names that mean "noble wolf" or "wise wolf" but that has nothing to do with what she did in the fairies lands nor would her master have given her that name. It would have been like a drug dealer with a trained attack dog naming it "Einstein" -- it has nothing to do with what it does.

ComicSutra

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.comicsutra.com
He could call her 'Terror', perhaps. I like it.
'Bringer' (she brings him what/who he wants)
'Dragger' (sounds sorta cool, but a bit too much like both 'dragon' and 'dagger')

I know none of those have 'wolf' in them...

Deliverer? (of PAIN!...or not)
Hmm, something minioney...
Thrallwolf
Vengewolf (ooh! but is it about vengeance, anyway?)

Sorry, that's all I've got right now.
Good luck!

Vengewolf and Terror are my favourites of those.

Ohh, ohh, ohhh -- that's more like it! I never thought of "terror." I'll play with that and see what pops up.

VengeWolf is really close. It might work, though refining it somehow might be nice. She's VERY angry over what happened so somewith with vengeance has multiple levels. She's now sort of betwixt and between -- not fully human any more due to her time in fae but definitely does NOT want to return to the fae. She also doesn't quite trust other escapees like her because some of them act too much like the fae or could sell them out to the fae, yet at the same time she'll protect humans and those like her from being taken again.

These are getting my mind working on the right track. Thanks!

ComicSutra

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.comicsutra.com
Perhaps he could ask her, "What should I call you?"

And she replies, "Cujo."

Her master never asks her anything. She ends up in the wrong place, is taken forcibly to the fae realm, changed into a wolf and then given commands she has no choice but to follow. There is no discussion and while a wolf, her intelligence is severely curtailed so discussion would be impossible anyway. Some tiny part of her understands what's going on and hates it but can't react, do anything about it, etc. She's not even sure how she escaped. She just remembers being ordered to chase something/someone, running, running, and somehow breaking through the barrier between their world and ours.

It's a reasonable suggestion but doesn't work with the absolute dominance and superiority of her then master. He gave orders -- end of story.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

There ya go

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Check the meaning of Fiona - I'm pretty sure it means hunter. (We once named an Irish Wolfhound Beltene Fiona Lamphada - shining fire, hunter of the long arm). You could probably do a play on something like Fiona. Puma

Madisonwrites

The Unicorn Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madisonlovestowrite.blogspot.com
Why does "Wolf" have to be in her name? I mean, the fact that the reader knows she's a wolf is enough. I don't know, maybe her being a wolf and having wolf in her name is overkill for me, but hey, that's only my opinion. :D

I have a trilogy that I have nearly completed with silver, red eyed wolves. Only three are named and (since this will be a manga) two have Japenese versions of English names and the pack leader has a name I made up. Naming wolves is hard. It took me a while to name the two but the pack leader was easy. His name drips evil in my opinion. I hope it does! :D

gwendy85

~*Proudly Mestiza*~
Registered
Reaction score
The name Lycurgus means Wolf....but it's a guy name. Perhaps you can manipulate that into a girl's name. Lycra or whatever. Just my two cents ;) Or you could also look at other languages and see their word for wolf.

Mythical Tiger

I RUN WITH THE TIGERS
Registered
Reaction score
Deep in the woods, running with the Tigers......
Wow, I'm stuck with kind of the same problem:Shrug: In my story theres people who have different abilities and use them to assassinate demons. They have companions which are animals that share the same power as them=] One of the characters has a she-wolf. I'm stuck figuring out a name for her:tongue Maybe these names might help for you:

Accalia [she-wolf]
Adalwolfa [noble she-wolf]
Botolf [messanger wolf]
Cailean [young wolf]
Ethelwulf [noble wolf]
Eyolf [lucky wolf]
Faoiltiama [wolf lady]
Fenris [mythical wolf]
Geirolf [wolf spear]
Gunnolf [fighting wolf]
Kiyiya [howling wolf]
Leidolf [wolf decendant]
Lupe [female wolf]
Lycaonia [she-wolf]
Otsanda [she-wolf]
Sandalio [true wolf]
Ylva [she-wolf]

Hope this helped! Happy writing and good luck;)

Calixus

OMG! What'd you say then??
Registered
Reaction score
The Smoky Mountains of Tennessee (go Vols!)
I searched and found the name of only female wolf listed in a Welsh tale. It is from the Tale of Culhwch and Olwen. The animal was named Rhymni and was a super-natural dog in the shape of a she-wolf and had extraordinary speed as her power. I don't know if this is what you are looking for but It is the only real name I have come across so far. I will however, keep looking.
Another name you might use is Pooka. it is a general term for the phantom dogs that were thought to be evil in Ireland.