Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Not sure if this is the right place (you would think I would know that kind of thing by now . . .), but I was curious if anyone had heard of this convention, or had attended it, and what their experience with it was like. I was invited to be a participant, and it looks really cool. . . but I do like to hear other people's opinions . . .

Here's the website.

So, anyone?

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Not sure if this is the right place (you would think I would know that kind of thing by now . . .), but I was curious if anyone had heard of this convention, or had attended it, and what their experience with it was like. I was invited to be a participant, and it looks really cool. . . but I do like to hear other people's opinions . . .

I've attended Readercon for the past twelve years. It's small and fairly serious (except for the Kirk Poland Memorial Bad Prose Contest). Lots of interesting panels and activities. I love it.

I'll be on panels, too, fwiw.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All I know is that I'd love to attend. Don't think it's in the cards, though. Will you two be blogging about your experiences?

Deleted member 42

Were I con-going in 2009, Readercon would be at the top of my list.

Fourth Street is another that is well-regarded without being huge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:D

Well, if you do, put up a post in the Update thread in the Blogging forum, and I'll be sure to read it. :)

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Thanks for the responses guys!

If I go I'll definitely blog about it. I always blog about conventions, and I take my camera too!

Medievalist: just curious, why is it at the top of your list?

Deleted member 42

Medievalist: just curious, why is it at the top of your list?

It's a con that very much emphasizes readers reading. It's small, and very friendly, and the panels are generally highly regarded.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
My god, a con that's not halfway across the continent from me and looks like something I'd love.

Toothpaste, thank you for posting this.

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
Bringing this thread back up instead of starting a new one (unless there is another one out there I should be in).

Anyone going to Readercon this summer? There is a possibility that I am going and I was curious.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Do it, Toothpaste! It's on my "wishlist" of cons, too.

Deleted member 42

Yeah, I've pretty much lost any desire to go to Readercon.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I know of other women this fellow has made feel very uncomfortable at other cons. While it's all a bit of a mess, is terrible that this happened to her, and was handled poorly, I think it's great that the conversation about cons and harrassment is being had now. I am waiting now to see how the Readercon con committee (different from the board who made the initial decision) reacts.

Last edited:

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
I went this year and had a wonderful time, but given what's happened, I won't go back unless the concomm can overrule the BOD's terrible decision and have the creeper permanently banned, as he should have been from the start.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
That was a brilliant apology. It explained what happened, why what they did was wrong, that they were sorry they did it, and what steps they were taking to correct it now, and try to see that it doesn't happen in the future.
The antithesis of "I'm sorry you're upset. About something."

I'm especially fond of: "The duty of stopping harassment falls first and foremost on harassers and then on those with influence on harassers (their friends and others they respect, and people in positions of authority), so suggestions should be aimed at educating potential harassers, fostering an environment that discourages harassment, and making it safer and easier for people to report harassment. Please don't send suggestions for how people can avoid being harassed or learn to cope with harassment."

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
The Hollywood publicity machine could take a lesson from the Readercon apology... Very honest and direct...

Status
Not open for further replies.