PDA

View Full Version : We're Buried Under a Foot of Snow!

rhymegirl
12-20-2008, 11:10 PM
Yikes! It took me half an hour or more to unbury my car!

Anybody else buried in snow? Please report in.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-20-2008, 11:24 PM
No snow here in OkieCity Land, but the temp has dropped from the low 50s earlier to 32!

Don Allen
12-20-2008, 11:35 PM
First, I want your avatar for Christmas, someone tell my wife... Second, A three hour job took me seven yesterday in Chicago, we got slushed. Now the slush has turned to ice and it feels like were living on a frozen tundra. I feely your pain...Thats why the avatar looks sooooo goood..... I hate winter....

Cassiopeia
12-20-2008, 11:45 PM
We've been getting snow all week. Yesterday with the blowing winds and snow I had 5 inches in total in two hours. Before that we had six. It's coming in bits and pieces which for me is the better way for it to happen. :D

Don
12-20-2008, 11:53 PM
Help is on the way for all you yankees caught in that awful weather!

http://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/42348/2922209100100527759S425x425Q85.jpg

rhymegirl
12-20-2008, 11:55 PM
Help is on the way for all you yankees caught in that awful weather!

http://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/42348/2922209100100527759S425x425Q85.jpg

OH thank you! Just what I need. I can hitch him up to my sled and go to the grocery store.

Snowstorm
12-21-2008, 12:02 AM
NO! Dang it. Lucky you. We have only about 6 inches. Of course when the wind gets finished wearing it out, there's no telling how much we'll have ended up with.

Looking forward to digging out the snowshoes!

ETA: we had about four inches a couple days ago. I found "dog" tracks and got a fantastic look on one track. Even the toe nails were visible. That foot was almost as big as the front half of my snowboot. Must have our lone black wolf back.

AmandaAcidic
12-21-2008, 12:08 AM
Yeah. We're buried over here in MN. Some of the roads are closed down. I'm pretty happy that I don't have to do anything this weekend.

truelyana
12-21-2008, 12:12 AM
Pictures! Pictures! :D

WerenCole
12-21-2008, 12:16 AM
Here in Boston we have at least a foot.

I am hoping it stops for a little while tomorrow so I can get on a plane the hell out of here before it turns to slush and ice. It tends not to snow in Virginia.

rhymegirl
12-21-2008, 12:25 AM
My son and his friends drove from Rhode Island to New York City yesterday. It took them about 8 and a half hours to get there. They were going to see a Broadway show (tickets were non-refundable).

And then they drove all the way back here last night. He got home about 4 in the morning.

Ah youth!

Shadow_Ferret
12-21-2008, 12:32 AM
Yikes! It took me half an hour or more to unbury my car!

Anybody else buried in snow? Please report in.
Been there. Done that. Had a snow day yesterday for it. :tongue

And the backache today to pay for it.

Expecting more tonight. And another big one on Tuesday.

smoothseas
12-21-2008, 12:43 AM
Snow? In this latitude? Last recorded measurable snowfall was in 1967.

rhymegirl
12-21-2008, 01:28 AM
Pictures! Pictures! :D

You want some snow pictures? Hmm.

Now that I'm nice and toasty warm in my house I dread going out there into the North Pole.

I sent my husband to the grocery store. All I had to do in return was make him some coffee.

Mela
12-21-2008, 04:09 AM
We had about four inches yesterday but it wreaked havoc on the interstates - it took me nearly 2 hours to drive the 35 miles from work to home.

What's horrible is that it's all frozen so walking outside is like sliding over a frozen lake. We're getting hit again tomorrow and again on Christmas Eve. That stinks because we wanted to drive down to the shore on Christmas Eve - it's sort of tradition.

The upside: My company has shut down for 2 weeks (not from the economy - we shut down every year between Christmas and New Year) so, for once, I don't have to drive in it!

alleycat
12-21-2008, 04:19 AM
Uh, well, I'm with you in spirit. . . .

Fingers
12-21-2008, 04:21 AM
We have had snow on and off for the last week. No real accumulations to speak of beyond a couple of inches.

Until today. Been snowing since yesterday, but it got serious this morning. Probably at least six inches of snow. Temp right now is 18 degrees, with a steady 40mph wind with gusts to 60mph. I dont know what that translates to in wind chill, but its f f f freaking c c c cold here.

y y yer p p pal B Brian

mario_c
12-21-2008, 04:39 AM
My son and his friends drove from Rhode Island to New York City yesterday. It took them about 8 and a half hours to get there. They were going to see a Broadway show (tickets were non-refundable).

And then they drove all the way back here last night. He got home about 4 in the morning.

Ah youth!
They are NUTS. Hope they bailed in New London and took the Acela. I know I would have.

I'm on the CT beach so it's not that bad. We got out early from work, so I came home, started cooking broth (that takes a few hours), did dishes and laundry...then went outside, shoveled the driveway, 2 walks and the sidewalk by my house. And this morning you could never tell. I had to scramble and dig 2 trenches for my car to get out of the garage, and the walk from the garage to my back door.
Tomorrow I have to finish the driveway as I have company over. Tonight, I chill. So to speak.

kristie911
12-21-2008, 05:55 AM
We're still trying to dig out from the storm we had on Friday. We got 12" of snow between 3:30 am and noon. It's supposed to start snowing tonight, dropping another
12" by Monday morning and yet another 5" by Tuesday afternoon.

That's another 17" by Tuesday!! My snow piles are so high I'm running out of places to push it. The tractor bucket doesn't go any higher!

Happy Winter everyone! :D

ETA: Did I mention I checked the temp and it's 0. Does that mean there is no temperature anymore? ;)

Clair Dickson
12-21-2008, 06:07 AM
We got about 10 inches Friday morning, starting about 4am. My boss called about 530a to tell me we had a snow day, so I rolled over and shut off the alarm. Yea!

But it was a nasty snow storm. Buried us. Roads were horrible, and while I got to stay home, poor Hubby had to drive in it. It was really hard to enjoy my day off when I kept worrying that something would happen to Hubby on his drive home.

It's still deep around here and hard to get around if you have a little car like we do. I'm totally not digging this snow... it make moving difficult.

kristie911
12-21-2008, 06:28 AM
I feel your pain, Clair! I drive a Ford Focus. And they've only bothered to plow my rural, dirt road 3 times this winter. I've been stuck more times this winter than I care to count.

At least you don't have to contend with the lake effect snow we do over here! :D

The storm here just started, so you'll probably be seeing it within the hour. Good luck!

Chumplet
12-21-2008, 06:29 AM
We got more than a foot yesterday, but it was fluffy and light, so shoveling wasn't too hard. However, it was freakin' cold today. Cold enough to make your ears crispy. I went to get groceries anyway, 'cause it's going to snow again tomorrow.

I'd rather have snow than slush. All the cars sounded like they were driving on Styrofoam.

rhymegirl
12-21-2008, 06:29 AM
They are NUTS. Hope they bailed in New London and took the Acela. I know I would have.

Yes, they are nuts. We tried to talk him out of going, but no deal. Young people are invincible, you know.

Tomorrow I have to finish the driveway as I have company over. Tonight, I chill. So to speak.

I need to get out tomorrow if possible to go see my mother in the nursing home and give her her Christmas present. The roads have been pretty bad here. But now they're saying we're getting more snow tomorrow.

Silver King
12-21-2008, 06:40 AM
I used a shovel earlier, a small plastic one, to help some kids build a sand castle on the beach. It was hard work. Then we went for a swim in the Gulf of Mexico.

On the same stretch of beach, I took a picture recently of this adorable elf: :)

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa62/Silver-King/Beach12-08-08080-3-1.jpg

roncouch
12-21-2008, 07:11 AM
I used a shovel earlier, a small plastic one, to help some kids build a sand castle on the beach. It was hard work. Then we went for a swim in the Gulf of Mexico.

On the same stretch of beach, I took a picture recently of this adorable elf: :)

What a beautiful little girl!

rhymegirl
12-21-2008, 07:21 AM

Grrrr! If that wasn't such a beautiful picture I'd say something like what a bum, showing us beach pictures when we're buried in snow here. But since SK posted such a nice picture, I won't say that.

Silver King
12-21-2008, 07:23 AM
Awww, thanks. I call her, "my little sugar plum." :)

Serenity
12-21-2008, 08:42 AM
SK: This is probably one of the most adorable pictures ever! Although I'm a little jealous of the whole building sandcastles thing. I could go do that, but it's a balmy 35 degrees here on Maryland's Eastern Shore! :D I'll have to wait until it climbs back up into the 50's later this week.

SarahDavidson
12-21-2008, 10:27 AM
We've got almost 3 feet on the ground, with drifts and snowblower humps topping 6 feet in some places, and my wonderful spouse got drunk last night and managed to get my truck (which has a lift and big 32" all-season mud tires) HIGH CENTERED IN A FREAKING SNOWDRIFT. Big fight ensued, and I ended up walking a mile and a half in said awful snow, with wind chill around negative five.

Yesterday during the day, I had to un-stick 3 cars that couldn't get past the end of my driveway. Apparently I'm right next to a slick spot.

Today my eyes are burning, my face is chapped, and I'm crabby as hell.

maestrowork
12-21-2008, 11:28 AM
No snow here.

It used to take me a while to unbury my car in the snow, before I got the snowblower. It's one of the best investments one can get if you're in the snow belt. What's great is that my neighbor and I chipped in to buy it (it was about $800) and he ends up using it most of the time, and he would clean my driveway after doing his. So I win.

rhymegirl
12-21-2008, 08:15 PM
It's snowing again today!!!

We had everything unburied, the driveway shoveled, and now this!

Sigh. I really need a dogsled to go anywhere.

Susie
12-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Hope y'all stay cozy and warm indoors. Beautiful little girl, Silver and a great photo!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-21-2008, 09:45 PM
You're a cruel fish, Silver... but be careful. There's more than pretty babies on the beach:

http://www.smokedgame.com/smoking20salmon1.jpg/smoking20salmon1-full.jpg

rhymegirl
12-22-2008, 01:24 AM
What are those things?

Shadow_Ferret
12-22-2008, 01:27 AM
Hey, RG, does it look anything like this there? That's me hidden in the snow as I plow.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g76/shadow_ferret/gone.jpg

Great fun! :D

rhymegirl
12-22-2008, 01:34 AM
Yes, it does. Although it is supposed to rain tonight so I guess we'll end up with slush.

Shadow_Ferret
12-22-2008, 01:38 AM
Oh, it warmed for you? We're at zero or below with another round of snow coming Tuesday and a worse one on Wednesday.

Calla Lily
12-22-2008, 01:41 AM
2.5-3 feet here (north of Bflo), and still snowing. It's not supposed to let up till 7 am tomorrow. This is just north of my house (same weather):

http://sitelife.wgrz.com/ver1.0/Content/images/store/15/13/bfd8bcc4-e718-4d1e-9d9c-921f035810a0.Large.jpg

kristie911
12-22-2008, 01:50 AM
We've gotten about 14 inches of snow today with no signs it's going to let up. And the wind is blowing pretty hard so there's a lot of drifting. I'm officially snowed in...there's no chance I'd be able to get anywhere. Even if I had a truck with 4 wheel drive I wouldn't get out!

Ferret, you need to keep this shit on your side of Lake Michigan. I'm tired of it.

alleycat
12-22-2008, 01:52 AM
http://sitelife.wgrz.com/ver1.0/Content/images/store/15/13/bfd8bcc4-e718-4d1e-9d9c-921f035810a0.Large.jpg
I almost expect to see George Bailey come running down the street yelling, "Hi, old Building and Loan . . . "

Shadow_Ferret
12-22-2008, 01:52 AM
Ferret, you need to keep this shit on your side of Lake Michigan. I'm tired of it.:wag: neener neener!

kristie911
12-22-2008, 04:41 AM
I think I'll be having roasted Ferret for Christmas dinner.

rhymegirl
12-22-2008, 04:56 AM

Mmm. Sounds good! Do you think it would taste better with gravy?

Haggis
12-22-2008, 05:24 AM

Indeed. It's a shame that I have to kill her grandfather.

eta: It's zero degrees outside. If it's twice as cold tomorrow, what will the temperature be?

Silver King
12-22-2008, 06:17 AM
What are those things?
Looks like king salmon on the barbie. Yum!

rhymegirl
12-22-2008, 05:16 PM
I almost expect to see George Bailey come running down the street yelling, "Hi, old Building and Loan . . . "

No.

He says, "Merry Christmas, you old Building and Loan."

alleycat
12-22-2008, 05:22 PM
No.

He says, "Merry Christmas, you old Building and Loan."
Gosh, what a stickler.

I hope you get more snow.

;-)

Shadow_Ferret
12-22-2008, 06:24 PM
eta: It's zero degrees outside. If it's twice as cold tomorrow, what will the temperature be?

02. Duh.

Whaaa? You'd eat little ole me?

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g76/shadow_ferret/hunter.jpg

rhymegirl
12-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Gosh, what a stickler.

I hope you get more snow.

;-)

Hey! Take that back!

alleycat
12-22-2008, 06:50 PM
Hey! Take that back!
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow . . .

Are you dreaming of a white Christmas?

Shadow_Ferret
12-22-2008, 07:21 PM
I am. And it looks like we'll have one this year.

Mythical Tiger
12-22-2008, 07:52 PM
Yep!Missed a whole week of school last week because we had unexpected snow storm..... And trust me, it's rare in December to get snow in Oregon:tongue

rhymegirl
12-23-2008, 05:30 AM
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow . . .

Are you dreaming of a white Christmas?

NO!!!!

Angie
12-24-2008, 04:58 AM
I finally got a neighbor to come over with his tractor and scoop out my driveway yesterday (I live on a farm, so there's a considerable amount of driveway). Last night the wind came up again and the driveway was drifted shut again.

So I spent half the morning shoveling by hand to clear a path for my car. I ran some errands. I was gone for approximately two hours.

When I got home, the asshat that rents the equipment shed on the property had driven in with his big stupid truck and tore up the snowbank on one side of the driveway, knocking it all into my recently-scooped path. So I spent all that time this morning getting a sore back. For nothing.

I think I'll kill him.

Ciera_
12-24-2008, 05:21 AM
A FOOT of snow? As in, a singular foot? Pffft.
Actually, we only have a foot or so here, at the moment, but the -39 (that's without windchill, mind you) temperatures last night made up for that nicely.

Tornadoboy
12-24-2008, 05:25 AM
<raises his hand>

Northbridge Massachusetts, we got what looks like almost 2 feet, and I had to dig myself out with the snowblower 3 times since Friday.

rhymegirl
12-24-2008, 05:57 AM
Well, our snow situation has improved. Now the only problem is ICE!

My driveway is so icy that...well, nobody wants to walk on it or drive on it.

lakotagirl
12-24-2008, 06:45 AM
We're supposed to get seven more inches by tomorrow night.

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii367/lakota05/snow08lg.jpg

rhymegirl
12-24-2008, 06:59 AM
I've decided to ship some of our Rhode Island snow to Alleycat in Tennessee.

Wouldn't that be a nice Christmas gift? (heh heh)

Clair Dickson
12-24-2008, 07:08 AM
Our county is so destitute this winter that they're barely sending out any plow or salt trucks. Most of the roads aren't getting plowed at all, even 4 days after the first snow fall. And we got another 4-6 inches today.

My little car (a rusted out 94 Cavalier) doesn't handle these conditions real well. When the car was young, sure, it did okay, but not so much anymore.

Hopefully I'll be able to get into the driveway of my new house so I can snow blow it for the carpet cleaners to come.

I'm done with snow. It's only the second day of winter, and I am so totally done with snow for the season.

alleycat
12-24-2008, 07:08 AM
I've decided to ship some of our Rhode Island snow to Alleycat in Tennessee.

Wouldn't that be a nice Christmas gift? (heh heh)
Oh, it would just all melt. It's 50 degrees here at 9:00 at night.

Hey, could you save it and send us some next August? We could sure use it then.

K1P1
12-24-2008, 07:37 AM
No snow at all here, but it was 10 degrees yesterday. Saturday, a limb of the neighbor's tree fell on my car and broke the windshield. They said that 10 degrees and 40 mile an hour winds made it difficult to set a new windshield, so they wouldn't come yesterday. But today it got up to 40, and I've got a new windshield, which is good since it's supposed to rain tomorrow. Now to get the rest of the glass out of the front seat...

Snow, what snow? Send some down here!

threedogpeople
12-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Vancouver Island is snowed under. They had to close the main highway for awhile, I don't know if it has been reopened.

The weather pattern has been: 1-2 feet of snow, one day of clear skies; 1-2 feet of snow, one day of clear skies; 1-2 feet of snow.....problem hubby is having is that we are on the day 2 list for the snow plow so it isn't making it to our neighborhood.

I just got another email from him and they are predicting 2+ feet of snow over night and power outages. He changed the oil in the generators and made sure that he had plenty of fuel, etc. in case he has to go into survival mode. He already had to take an hour trudge (6 houses down the road) to deliver some food to one of the elderly people in the neighborhood. I wonder if he used the snow shoes in the basement??

I'm sitting at my parents, it's supposed to be around 60 by the weekend (but no white Christmas).

Yeshanu
12-24-2008, 11:34 AM
We just got another foot or more this evening. When I went to work at 4 pm, it was beginning to snow. I came out at 1 am to a full-scale snowstorm, a foot of snow covering the car, and a parking lot I could barely drive through.

I am so glad that I got a shift at the theatre that's a five minute drive from my house (under normal conditions), and not one at my usual workplaces, which are both half an hour away (under normal conditions) along very windy highways and back roads.

KTC
12-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Yep...we got close to a foot east of the city too, Yesh. Toronto did a lot better than us...I woke up this morning with almost a foot of it on top of what was already there. The banks along my driveway are over my head now...I have no place to put it if there's another fall.

Yeshanu
12-25-2008, 03:27 AM
Now it's raining, and all the beautiful snow is being washed away. Not to mention the fact that it's going to turn to ice as soon as the temperature drops. :(

(Hockey, anyone? :) )