PDA

View Full Version : Dorian Gray

TsukiRyoko
12-20-2008, 09:20 AM
I couldn't think of anywhere else to put this, it's not really research... I'm just curious.

What exactly is the story of Dorian Gray/Grey? I've heard many versions, but I've never found out for sure.

nevada
12-20-2008, 09:44 AM
YOu could do something radical and oh i dont know, read the book? It's a short one. :D

Basically, dorian grey has a portrait painted and all his bad living and aging is done by the portrait while dorian stays young and beautiful forever. but ofcourse it comes back to bite him in the ass. Can't remember how right now. But that's the basic premise of it.

rugcat
12-20-2008, 10:20 AM
The Picture Of Dorian Grey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Picture_of_Dorian_Gray)

-- Oscar Wilde

This is a wonderful book, though it's mannered style may not be to everyone's liking, esp the younger set. Full of great Oscar Wilde quotes, as well. It caused quite a scandal when first published.

" . . . there is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."

"Young men want to be faithful, and are not; old men want to be faithless, and cannot . . . "

"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes."

They made a pretty good movie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Picture_of_Dorian_Gray_(1945_film)) from it as well, starring George Sanders and Hurd Hatfield.

nevada
12-20-2008, 10:22 AM
umm yeah rugcat said it ever so much better than I did.

Don Allen
12-20-2008, 10:41 AM
There is a great Twilight Zone episode from the original series that does a take of on Dorian Grey. A large picture shows a peacefull cemetary and as the episode progresses the picture changes showing a grave being dug and eventually a gravestone with the bad charactors name on it, oooooooh gives me chills just thinking about it.

rugcat
12-20-2008, 11:03 AM
There's also a nice short story, The Mezzotint (http://gaslight.mtroyal.ca/mezztint.htm), (1904) by M.R. James. about a picture on the wall that changes every night, showing a little bit more of an abduction, like a movie freeze frame progression.

Mumut
12-20-2008, 01:56 PM
YOu could do something radical and oh i dont know, read the book? It's a short one. :D

Basically, dorian grey has a portrait painted and all his bad living and aging is done by the portrait while dorian stays young and beautiful forever. but ofcourse it comes back to bite him in the ass. Can't remember how right now. But that's the basic premise of it.

Something about Dorian getting so angry with the picture - the lust and greed in the face - that he stabs it with a knife. They find his body with the knife in it and the torn picture is of him as he was when it was first painted.

alleycat
12-20-2008, 02:27 PM
You might want to put "SPOILER ALERT" at the top of your post, Mumut.

Most people know the story, and probably the ending, but some might not.

donroc
12-20-2008, 04:43 PM
The Picture Of Dorian Grey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Picture_of_Dorian_Gray)

-- Oscar Wilde

This is a wonderful book, though it's mannered style may not be to everyone's liking, esp the younger set. Full of great Oscar Wilde quotes, as well. It caused quite a scandal when first published.

" . . . there is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."

"Young men want to be faithful, and are not; old men want to be faithless, and cannot . . . "

"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes."

They made a pretty good movie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Picture_of_Dorian_Gray_(1945_film)) from it as well, starring George Sanders and Hurd Hatfield.

I recommend, after you read the short novel, see the 1944 film with George Sanders delivering Wilde's one-liners like no one else before or since. And there is also a 17 year old Angela Lansbury in the cast. "Goodbye Little Yellow Bird."

donroc
12-20-2008, 04:45 PM
And the painter is Ivan Albright, who specialized in portraying decay.

Toothpaste
12-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Great book, great film. I'd highly recommend checking them both out.

Hillary
12-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Additionally, a great song by The Libertines called Narcissist (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVGWXqf9pLY)!

:)

(ETA: That youtube might cut off... Hmph, irritating. I can't find a good one...)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-20-2008, 08:56 PM
I recommend, after you read the short novel, see the 1944 film with George Sanders delivering Wilde's one-liners like no one else before or since. And there is also a 17 year old Angela Lansbury in the cast. "Goodbye Little Yellow Bird."

Another vote for seeing this film, too. It's arguably one of George Sanders greatest portrayals.

Toothpaste
12-20-2008, 09:16 PM
Another vote for seeing this film, too. It's arguably one of George Sanders greatest portrayals.

Though his Addison DeWitt in All About Eve is pretty darn fantastic as well.

donroc
12-20-2008, 09:21 PM

On target.

Aside from All About Eve, he also is at his best in the little known film Scandal in Paris, in which he plays a thief who became Chief of Police, based on a true story. I also enjoyed him as the rotten uncle in Son of Fury.

But, if only he had not sung in Call me Madame.

robbwindow
12-20-2008, 09:25 PM
I seem to recognise the name Dorian Grey did she not write about Pagan's in the 60's - 70's. Or was it about the rise of the middle class punks in the late seventies. I shall have to check I seem to remember that she comes highly recommended by somebody. Thanks for the thread (this is my third post here)

Toothpaste
12-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Rob - we are talking about the novel "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde. However upon googling there does seem to be a male author who chose the name Dorien Grey as a pseudonym: here is the wiki article about him - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorien_Grey

I could not find any female author who wrote about Pagans though . . .

TsukiRyoko
12-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks, guys, I guess I knew more of the story than I thought. I tried reading the book when I was about 13, but it wasn't the best reading material at such a young age. YOu guys are awesome ;)

TrickyFiction
12-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Thanks, guys, I guess I knew more of the story than I thought. I tried reading the book when I was about 13, but it wasn't the best reading material at such a young age. YOu guys are awesome ;)

Try reading it now that you're older. Pay very close attention to everything Lord Henry says. :D IMO, he is the voice of Wilde (or one of them anyway), the devil on Dorian's shoulder, and has the most interesting lines in the book.

HeronW
12-20-2008, 10:28 PM
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4078

here's Dorian Grey from Guttenberg ebooks

KTC
12-20-2008, 10:42 PM
Re-visit it, Tsuki...it's a wonderful book.

I've been accused many times of having a painting in my closet...once I was asked to prove that I didn't.

You will probably find that you love the book if you give it another go.

Soccer Mom
12-21-2008, 01:01 AM
13 is a bit young to appreciate just how wonderfully subversive Wilde was. Read it now, O daughter of mine.

hi, BTW!

starrykitten
12-21-2008, 09:44 AM
I seem to recognise the name Dorian Grey did she not write about Pagan's in the 60's - 70's. Or was it about the rise of the middle class punks in the late seventies. I shall have to check I seem to remember that she comes highly recommended by somebody. Thanks for the thread (this is my third post here)

Are you thinking perhaps of Dion Fortune? She wrote about pagans in the earli 20th century.

Ugawa
12-21-2008, 10:13 PM
I've read the book Dorian Gray for my English course at the moment. It's a very good story and a great piece of litrature.

You should read it.

XX

CheshireCat
12-23-2008, 04:46 AM
There is a great Twilight Zone episode from the original series that does a take of on Dorian Grey. A large picture shows a peacefull cemetary and as the episode progresses the picture changes showing a grave being dug and eventually a gravestone with the bad charactors name on it, oooooooh gives me chills just thinking about it.

I saw that not too long ago on the Chiller network. Only it was an episode of Night Gallery, the Rod Serling series that came along in the 70s or thereabouts.

Roddy McDowell as the greedy and ungrateful nephew haunted by that changing painting.

Virector
12-23-2008, 04:06 PM
:e2hammer: Oh! I was wondering where I knew the name Dorian Gray from, until I remembered he was one of the characters in the film adaptation of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Evaine
12-24-2008, 11:36 PM
The beginning of the third season of Blake's Seven had our heroes stranded on some God-forsaken planet, their spaceship having been destroyed - and along comes a handsome young chap called Dorian, who invites them back to his base.
By this stage, all of us who knew the original story were shouting at the screen "Don't go in the attic!"

DeleyanLee
12-24-2008, 11:54 PM
:e2hammer: Oh! I was wondering where I knew the name Dorian Gray from, until I remembered he was one of the characters in the film adaptation of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Read the book. He's far more interesting than what they did to him (or any of the others) in LXG.

Tirjasdyn
12-25-2008, 12:09 AM
Are you thinking perhaps of Dion Fortune? She wrote about pagans in the earli 20th century.

Probably Doreen Valiente...she's pretty much shaped Wicca into what it is today.

As for Dorian Grey...love love love the book.

Cyia
12-25-2008, 01:35 AM

That movie has so much to answer for, not the least of which is the number of people I've heard say things like this in regards to Dorian Gray, Mina Harker and Tom Sawyer. :Headbang:

On a similar note, I was in Blockbuster the other day and saw someone talking about a Quartermane. "Not bad for a total rip off of Indiana Jones." :Hammer:

Stormhawk
12-27-2008, 12:07 AM
On a similar note, I was in Blockbuster the other day and saw someone talking about a Quartermane. "Not bad for a total rip off of Indiana Jones." :Hammer:

...I think I just threw up in my mouth a little...