PDA

View Full Version : any momagers out there?

JulieJames
12-20-2008, 04:56 AM
alright, strange question.... Lets say my mom wants to be my manager.... can she just put together a letterhead etc. and say she's my manager? How does this work? Does this work?

ChaosTitan
12-20-2008, 05:03 AM
Um, what exactly is she managing?

Toothpaste
12-20-2008, 05:03 AM
My mom is my manager. It doesn't take much, "This is my mother, she's my manager."

Now . . . of course if you are paying her and she wants to be her own business, then that gets more complicated with finances and stuff. But if she is your manager because she wants to be, then there is no fancy procedure, no skill testing question. Your mom is your manager when she introduces herself that way (if she wants to create her own letterhead, and business cards, then she totally can, but neither of those are necessary).

CheshireCat
12-20-2008, 07:00 AM
Writers generally don't have managers.

We have agents. And a mom-agent who doesn't know the business or have any contacts is not going to help you and could seriously, seriously hurt you.

JulieJames
12-20-2008, 07:02 AM
really? I thought screenwriters did have managers?

JulieJames
12-20-2008, 07:04 AM
Um, what exactly is she managing?

she'd be managing me as a screenwriter.

CheshireCat
12-20-2008, 07:08 AM
she'd be managing me as a screenwriter.

Does she have contacts in Hollywood or NY? With production companies? The Screenwriters Guild?

Or does she intend to "manage" all the money the film agent will get for you?

JulieJames
12-20-2008, 07:18 AM
she has 1 contact through a friend in Los Angeles.

Toothpaste
12-20-2008, 08:27 AM
Oh okay. I should revise my statement. My mother is my manager, but that is all she is. By this I mean I also have an agent, a publisher, and a publicist. My mother manages me in that she organises school visits where I do readings, and also my book launches. If you haven't sold your work yet, what you want is an agent. And what you want in an agent is someone who is a bit more connected than 1 contact through a friend.

Sorry if I caused any confusion there.

Yeshanu
12-20-2008, 07:30 PM
Speaking from experience, yes, moms can be managers. I am one--I have a musician daughter, and Toothpaste described exactly what I do. It isn't the same as a mothering role--it goes beyond that.

Of course your mother can be your manager, Julie. She doesn't need any special qualifications, but she does need a willingness to learn the ropes of whatever business you're in, and to develop a list of contacts that will be helpful to your career.

Hope this helps.

JulieJames
12-21-2008, 12:59 AM
Hmmmm, Alright. Thanks. She's been batting the idea around and I wasn't too sure what this entailed.