Been Laid Off. Time to give this writing thing a go? Any Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

So, my company is laying off 12% of the work force and yours truly is part of that 12%

The good news, is that my severance package is 6 months worth of salary and that I was thinking about leaving the company anyways next Spring.

My last day of employment will be end of January (gives me time to transition stuff off) and then I get my severance package.

Over this past year I felt my writing turned a corner, got some paid pubs.

I'm flirting with the idea of trying to start my own business (teaching workshops), do some business consulting (i've done some in the past with so-so results) and to jump in and 'be a writer'.

I'm romanticizing about the idea of moving to LA, living in a cheap flat, and trying to put the above into practice.

But, I need to be practical. I realize that writing is hard work. I submitted about 50 stories last year and only have $300 worth of acceptances to show for it.

Questions: General questions about writing for money and making a living at it. Also, breaking into the screenplay/scriptwriting market in LA.

Anyways,

Thought I would pose my situation and questions to you big brained people. Any and all advice, counseling, etc is appreciated.

Mel...

Last edited:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly, LA and cheap are not things I've heard together. :)

Expect it to take longer than 6 months, but be very disciplined about making writing your full time gig. And bringing in some other income is good too.

And make sure you have a nice desk and chair at home :)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The biggest challenge I found in trying to write while I was laid off is to remain unstressed enough about paying for stuff so I could actually be creative. That and not giving into the temptation of sleeping in too late, not actually doing the writing and all those other types of things.

You've got to treat the writing--or any self-employement--as the job it has to be in order to make it succeed. Personally, I couldn't do it. I totally suck at structuring my time on my own. Good luck to you, though.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
the 6 month severance does sound like a cool opportunity to devote yourself more to your writing. Ditto what everyone said about LA being a ridiculously expensive place to live--you can pay $800 a month or more to live in a tiny run-down crappy studio apartment full of roaches. You can stay cheaper the further outside of the city you go, of course. though, depending where you are, LA is cheaper to live than some spots in the bay area. Cheaper than Palo Alto/Los Gatos/Santa Clara, pricier than San Jose/East Palo Alto. (2 years ago i lived in palo alto/cupertino, and now i live in LA.)

I dunno much about the career thing. LA is chock full of people who want to break into the industry, as you probably know, but if you're better and harder-working than everyone else...? Good luck in whatever you choose!

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno much about the career thing. LA is chock full of people who want to break into the industry, as you probably know, but if you're better and harder-working than everyone else...?

Yeah, this is a good point. I know there are all of writers there with the same aspirations as I with more connections and greater ability.

But, if I am to realize my dreams, these are the type of people I have to 'best'.

In terms of LA being expensive. This is a very good point. I don't know much about the area, I'm wondering if there is a place 'near' enough to LA that I can drive in to meet with agents or other writers for collaborations (of course assuming that I get my foot in the door, etc.)

Also, how much of 'being a writer' is owed to actually living in LA. I'm more of a 'book' writer and not so much screenplays so maybe LA is just impractical and perhaps I should move to Texas where it is a helluva lot cheaper than LA?

Then again, LA is just so damn sexy. A part of me wants to live in that dog-eat-dog world, rub shoulders with my fellow artists (actors, musicians, writers, etc) and compete to get my scripts/stories in the right people's hands.

Anyone on this site in or around the LA Area?

Mel...

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mel--Most of the Angelenos can be found in this thread: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107630

LA is definitely an exciting place! You will never lack for inspiration from the swirling morass of humanity here. You can definitely 'make it' by living cheaper outside the city, like riverside or the valley or the i.e., and still be able to come into the city. Long Beach is cheapish as well--from there you can jump on the train right into the heart of LA. Maybe make a visit and see how it strikes you!

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Anything inland (east) LA is cheaper. Or south, like El Segundo, Long Beach, maybe Redondo Beach if you aren't on the ocean. I've lived in Manhattan Beach, West Hollywood and Beverly Hills, but this was 8 years ago.

I don't know how much it costs to live in the valley.

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
I second, or third, or fourth... that LA isn't the place to live on the cheap. And the problem with living outside of the area is that you really do have to drive a distance into the city to get that inspiration. You won't be rubbing shoulders with the people you want to meet at your local Starbucks, etc...
Aren't you in Northern California? I always feel inspired in San Fran.
(Again, not cheap)

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
I second, or third, or fourth... that LA isn't the place to live on the cheap. And the problem with living outside of the area is that you really do have to drive a distance into the city to get that inspiration. You won't be rubbing shoulders with the people you want to meet at your local Starbucks, etc...
Aren't you in Northern California? I always feel inspired in San Fran.
(Again, not cheap)

Yeah,

I'm in San Jose area in the heart of Silicon Valley and it is expensive. Two bedroom apartment is $1700 per month which is highway robbery

I think I may take a trip out there to see what it is like. I'll probably look for a good writer's group since I really won't know anyone. I also have a cousin down that way I may just bum it at his house :)

Mel...

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
dgi, I think you need to clarify your goals a little. If you're going to focus on screenplays, maybe LA is the place for you, but if you're writing books I don't see the point... isn't NY where all the agent action is? :)

I live somewhat north of LA and so far the only thing I've done that's remotely involved with books is visiting the book fair. It was fun but there were no "connections" to be made.

If you're thinking you're going to go hang out somewhere and "meet" people to "connect," honestly I have no idea how that would happen.

Incidentally, I quit working full time in spring of 2007 to "make a go" at being a novelist. I've written two books, had one totally unsuccessful agent, and I am now drifting in the doldrums. It's been almost 2 years and I have NOTHING to show for my efforts. And I've worked hard. So yeah, I'd stretch your severance out as long as possible. Just taking the time and putting your nose to the grindstone doesn't always do it.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
dgi, I think you need to clarify your goals a little. If you're going to focus on screenplays, maybe LA is the place for you, but if you're writing books I don't see the point... isn't NY where all the agent action is? :)

I live somewhat north of LA and so far the only thing I've done that's remotely involved with books is visiting the book fair. It was fun but there were no "connections" to be made.

If you're thinking you're going to go hang out somewhere and "meet" people to "connect," honestly I have no idea how that would happen.

Incidentally, I quit working full time in spring of 2007 to "make a go" at being a novelist. I've written two books, had one totally unsuccessful agent, and I am now drifting in the doldrums. It's been almost 2 years and I have NOTHING to show for my efforts. And I've worked hard. So yeah, I'd stretch your severance out as long as possible. Just taking the time and putting your nose to the grindstone doesn't always do it.

Thanks Jo.

Yeah, my goals are a little helter-skelter right now. I had all this dumped on me yesterday. I've always wanted to write screenplays, but so far i've just done short stories.

I am a realist and know that writing that great American novel is easier said than done.

I'm normally more focused about these sorts of things and my posts, but my state of mind as for 'my future' is a little wobbly right now.

I mean, what to do with six month's salary? It is a lot of money, but at the same time, it isn't (especially when you have no other income).

hmmm..... Not sure how useful this thread is other than to vent a little which i'm thankful for y'all allowing me to do.

But back to writing, I think I will print out some of these threads on writing for a living, and put some serious thought into it.

As for living in LA and being a writer. I'm still kicking that idea around and romanticizing about it.

I want to believe that there are writer's groups aplenty, writing events, and opportunities to get to know some people. But of course, the reality is always harder than teh romanticized notion.

So, your experience helps dispel some of that notion and is appreciated.

Mel...

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
it sounds to me like things are very unfocused for you right now, mel. i'm glad you're finally seeing that in this thread, and i hope you can collect your thoughts some more and think about this rationally. there's no real reason to live in LA and personally, i dont think writing should be something that should take precedence over the next stage in your career. writing is great, but it's not concrete and it can be something that distracts you from your real career goals.

personally, i would take this month to reassess everything, to really sit down and come up with a clear game plan.

no offense, but this plan is something that sounds somewhat immature and ill-conceived, and that's not how you portray yourself on the boards.

Then again, LA is just so damn sexy. A part of me wants to live in that dog-eat-dog world, rub shoulders with my fellow artists (actors, musicians, writers, etc) and compete to get my scripts/stories in the right people's hands.

it's sexy until you realize that the person serving you breakfast at starbucks graduated from college 6 years ago and is still trying and hoping for that big break.

if you're going to screenwriting, and just absolutely need to break in, then yeah, i can see why you'd want to move there. but right now it just seems kind of lovey dovey and impractical.

Last edited:

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
My advice. Treat your writing as your job. Set yourself a schedule and stick to it. If the muses aren't cooperating with writing juive, use that time to develop character profiles or plot out something new or do research. The point is to NEVER let yourself get into the habit of treating writing as a hobby when you have the ability to do it full time. Make it your job while you're figuring out what to do next. you'll be happier and more productive and it will keep the depression away.

Best of luck to you. You're a brilliant man, so I'm sure that you will find your path quickly.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Back before I had kids I was in the habit of making rather haphazard moves to places I had never so much as visited. I have no regrets.

Los Angeles was one of those destinations. It's a fascinating place. You can live on the cheap side if you don't mind a little seedy. I was always more interested in the underside of the city than in the Hollywood/celebrity side (Though I did lose my breath the day I passed Sidney Poitier on the street.) I didn't have a car for the first couple of years and I still did fine. I just found jobs that were within bussing distance. It's an incredibly diverse place, with every race and nationality represented.

If it's a place you are interested in and want to get to know, I say go for it.

P.S. I'm not known for my common sense.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
In the current economy, it may not be an either/or situation. Let's say you decide that you really don't feel safe not working for six months, so you jump right into the job search. Well... your company isn't the only one reducing its workforce. It may take you those six months to find a new job, even if you give it everything you've got. So--why not aim for both? Keep searching for a good job that will pay the bills and stimulate your brain. But until you find it, devote as much time to writing as you possibly can. That way you haven't lost out on either one.

As for LA--well, I grew up east of it, in the Claremont/Upland area. Now I live in Santa Cruz, and you couldn't pay me to go back. Like the others said, if you aren't rich or already successful, you can't get into the artsy parts. If you live in the cheap parts, you've got an hour drive just to get anywhere interesting. I think you should drive down, spend a week, really investigate the idea. Then you'll know if it feels right or is just the adrenaline talking.

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
Here's my advice: It isn't necessary to live in LA nor it is very feasible with the cost of living. If I were you, I'd move somewhere that you can live cheap. Make a schedule and churn out a lot of good writing. If you want time to mingle and meet with others, find a local writing group wherever you are. Then, attend conferences. Yeah, these are expensive, but it provides a chance to do the mingling you want to do.

I live in NYC (I didn't move here to write, I moved here and got a "day job"), where all the agents are, and I have never once mingled with them. Maybe if (when?!?) my book gets published, I'll be invited to events, but for now, I feel like I need to focus on the work.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First, you'll never have a better time to find out if you can make the professional writer gig work. I say take some time to make a plan that you believe you can live within and see if you can make it with your severence pay. Maybe a part time job somewhere would help stretch the money farther while still giving you plenty of time to write.

Second, LA is hella expensive. There is no such thing as a cheap flat there. If you want to stay in California, check around. There are likely to be more affordable bedroom communities within driving distance.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I'd second what Soccer Mom says. I find it easier to write with a part-time job than I do with either a full-time job or no job at all. And getting a part-time gig while you make a go at writing will help the money stretch, give you much-needed social interaction (especially if you're moving to a new city), and give you characters and settings to inspire your writing.

Go to the public library and take out some books not only on making a living as a freelance writer (Didn't Jenna Somebody-or-Other write a book about that? :) ), but also on running a small business.

I disagree somewhat with those who say that writing is a job. A job is something you do for someone else, and they pay you for time put in, and that's that. Writing is a small business--you put in the hours and the sweat, but you're paid for the product, not the time.

So you need to look closely at your product. Short stories are fun to write, but I think there are very few writers out there who make a living by writing only short stories. You'll need to be more realistic about where your income might come from. You'll need to be more market-savvy, and write for the market.

And you'll need to accept that there's a learning curve. If you've never written a screenplay before, you're probably going to have to write a few, at least, before you write one that sells. Get started now. Read, read, read. Write, write, write.

Above all, have fun. Delores might not be known for her common sense (or so she says), but I'm with her. The reality is you're being handed the opportunity of a lifetime, and the only way you can really blow it is if you spend all your severance pay and don't learn anything about yourself in the process. Everything else is grist for the mill. :)

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
DGI, first of all, kudos for getting severance. Best of luck to you, whatever you do!
It's very normal for anyone who loses their job to fill their time with entrepreneurial activities - I'd wager 90 percent of new businesses are started by someone who lost their job, or is a stay at home parent or student. It sounds like you've worked pretty much 9 to 5 (and lots and lots of overtime) your adult life through. Your instincts will tell you to keep busy even as the couch beckons....
Structure your time like you're in the office, only now you command the tasks you have to do. Have a day or two for writing, a day or two for marketing your consulting, a day or two for preparing a class that you would teach, and on the seventh day he chills. Something like that.

As to LA, I primarily write scripts so I know LA is the place to be, and not just for work. But I would never move without a job or gigs lined up. My life goal now is to have a self-employment regimen that brings me closer to the city (I live just outside of NYC, which is almost as good a market). Times are really tough and they're going to get tougher, but with a little imagination and determination, we can get by.

michelle25

Registered
Reaction score
I’m a young one here but I wanna thank those who contributed to this thread for making me feel not so bad about failing at L.A. I moved out there at age 23 with no writing experience, hoping to find inspiration. I didn’t know anyone, and as much as I wanted to ‘rub shoulders’ with fellow artists, it didn’t really happen. I thought it was my fault for not knowing how to meet people (because where else in the country is there a higher concentration of artists, right?) But I guess you have to have something under your belt before you jump into the snake pit. If you do decide to give it a go in the city, good luck and let me know how it goes! I miss it from time to time (well, it’s my lost innocence that I miss I guess).

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
I lived in L.A. (Hollywood when first married and later built a home in Playa del Rey) 1960-89.

Distances and traffic/gridlock/freeway accidents will be a problem. I believe the terms GD and GU originated in the L.A. area because it is truly a multitude of communities in search of a city.

All comments above about cost of living are accurate. You might try to find a carriage house on an estate, a Kato Kaelin type deal.

Advantages for a writer are you might get lucky with a contact, and you can physically "knock on doors". Your competition is everyone. Think of that scene in Shalespeare in Love in which the character rowing WS has a manuscript to pitch.

People will brown-nose a 3rd level studio accountant in the hope he might help them make a connection. Some join "noble causes" in the expectation of meeting celebs.

Our physician in the 1960s and 70 was known as "Doctor to the Stars" and he had stacks of manuscripts in his office because writers hoped he would read and then give them to his actor-director-producer patients.

Then there are the grads from the local University screenwriting programs competing with you.

There are places to hang out and mingle with all levels of the industry. My favorite was Chez Jay's in Santa Monica, but Jay recently passed away, and I do not know if it will continue to draw the famous.

If you do not try, the answer will always be no.

Give it your best shot, but do plan ahead for your basic living situation. Look for roomate ads in the better neighborhoods too.

Keep your eyes open and hope for good luck.

Palmfrond

cereal killer
Registered
Reaction score
I've lived in the LA area for 27 years. The above comments are pretty all spot on.

It seems to me that what you really need to do with your six months of severance pay is to take the time to find a *really good* day job, wherever you want to live while you write your novel. No matter how good a writer you are, you will not be supporting yourself on your writing in six months, so find a job that allows you to write and pays your bills. It's going to be a long haul.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Hey DGI.
First sorry to hear about the layoff, that sucks. No advice on the money thing, that's something you;ll have to work out for yourself because you have to eat, but I can tell you that I have resisited the temptation to get a full time job since my trucking business fell apart 2 years ago. I've had several really good offers to run transportation operations for companies including Tyco that I really struggled turning down, BUT, I'm glad I did because I've taken some part time no mind jobs fpr spending cash, and do some home remodeling for friends and neighbors for cash,, and have managed to devote some really good writing time, without worries, to the re-writes for my book which should be completed by March. Couldn't have done it with a full time gig,,, Just something for you to think about.... Good Luck.....

Deleted member 42

I just moved from L.A. after twenty years. During much of it I wrote for money.

Don't do it. Really. There aren't cheap places to live in L.A. that you'd be comfortable living in.

Rent is high. You have to spend a great deal of time driving to get anywhere.

Hollywood is saturated with writers, all looking for work.

It's not an easy place to network, especially in terms of film/tv. And there are probably hundreds of others thinking exactly what you're thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.