PDA

View Full Version : [Agency] Brown Ink Books

JamieB
12-19-2008, 10:25 PM
Searched, but couldn't find anything....

Aisha Johnson at Brown Ink Books. Anyone have any info, good or bad? Here's the website. http://msbrownink.com

veinglory
12-19-2008, 10:46 PM
I had a quick look around and couldn't find a record of any current or previous clients/sales. But it wasn't an extensive search.

victoriastrauss
12-20-2008, 12:03 AM
There's no info on her at her agency website, which is always a warning sign--especially with a new agent, you want to know their professional background, so you can judge whether or not they're qualified to be an agent.

Googling Aisha "Ms Brown" Johnson turns up this (http://www.lulu.com/brown). CEO of Brown Publishing. Self-pubbed through Lulu. Conflicts of interest and no professional publishing experience, oh my!

- Victoria

aishawrites
01-06-2009, 01:03 AM
If you have any questions for me please email me at aisha@msbrownink.com. I would happy to provide you with any information that you need.

M.R.J. Le Blanc
01-06-2009, 01:34 AM
If you have any questions for me please email me at aisha@msbrownink.com. I would happy to provide you with any information that you need.

Why don't you answer them here?

Unimportant
01-06-2009, 03:12 AM
From their website:
New agency established in 2008. No "name" clients listed. No sales listed. No previous work experience at AAR agencies listed. Location is the "chic" (?????) DC area.

It's fairly easy to rank them on the "are they good enough to query" scale, where ten is a dream agent and one is an only-if-I'm-desperate agent:
- Three points for being an AAR member.
- Three points for verified sales to large commercial presses.
- Two points for having worked at an AAR agency.
- One point for verified sales to legitimate small/indie presses.
- One point for being located in NYC.

I don't feel the need to ask any questions, at this point.

M.R.J. Le Blanc
01-06-2009, 03:18 AM
I've got one:

If you have no obvious publishing experience, what makes you qualified to be an agent?

cantgetnosleep
01-20-2009, 11:09 PM
I don't know Aisha Brown, and she does seem to be a little short on experience, judging by her website. However, there's a strange irony at work here in some of these replies.

"If you have no obvious publishing experience, what makes you qualified to be an agent?" could easily be: "If you haven't published a book, what makes you qualified to be an author?"

Noah Body
01-20-2009, 11:13 PM
I've got one:

If you have no obvious publishing experience, what makes you qualified to be an agent?

LOL...

Fifteen days later and no reply...gee, wonder what that means. ;)

M.R.J. Le Blanc
01-20-2009, 11:32 PM
I don't know Aisha Brown, and she does seem to be a little short on experience, judging by her website. However, there's a strange irony at work here in some of these replies.

"If you have no obvious publishing experience, what makes you qualified to be an agent?" could easily be: "If you haven't published a book, what makes you qualified to be an author?"

Publishing experience comes mainly from working in an already established agency or publishing house. Sort of like someone who wants to be a carpenter apprentices under an experienced carpenter. If Aisha Brown has never worked in a reputable agency or publishing house, or somewhere she would have developed the experience and contacts necessary to be a successful agent, then she has no business advertising as one. Better to have no agent as opposed to an amateur or inexperienced one.

victoriastrauss
01-21-2009, 12:53 AM

A writer is a creative artist. A literary agent is a businessperson. A writer needs creativity. A businessperson needs knowledge. No comparison.

- Victoria

veinglory
01-21-2009, 01:46 AM
The proof of the pudding is in the doing. Thus the author's proof is the manuscript and the agent's is her cleints and sales.

Turtle's_Daddy
10-07-2009, 09:37 AM
WE ARE NOT ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS AT THIS TIME! Please note: IF YOU SEND A QUERY, IT WILL BE DELETED!

and the "Our Authors" page is blank except for "Coming September 2009"

CaoPaux
01-30-2011, 04:53 AM
Site is gone, as is site for last book (http://www.amazon.com/Lip-Gloss-Battle-Boots-Handbook/dp/0975428322) (press release here (http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/myvoicedc/featured/myvoicedc-_meet_daki_brown,_the_authors_of__%22lip_gloss_&_battle_boots%22)), which lists Brown Ink as editor and publisher.

So, at best, it was a self-publishing operation.