What can I get my pregnant wife for Christmas?

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
She's at seven months and it's going to be a girl. She's asked for only a couple of things, but I'd better get her other stuff as well.

No perfume, DVDs, CDs, clothes, books, or jewelry.

I was thinking about a rocking chair, but there must be something else, something cost-effective.

Any ideas?

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Serious question: is she specifically asking for something for the baby? Because if not, I'd get her something strictly for her.

Captshady

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
If you're looking at rocking chairs, go with a glider. They soothe a baby to sleep like it's nobody's business!

I make nothing for this referral, I'm only linking it to you because I bought one for my wife, and she loved it, and got compliments.
It's called a motherhood necklace.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I gave her a body pillow a few months ago per a suggestion on this forum.

She hasn't asked for anything specifically for the baby, no.

But I AM pretty much single handedly preparing my former library (sigh) to be the nursery, that is stripping wallpaper and cleaning and fixing walls. One of her aunts is going to paint.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I think only a Christmas miracle could get that motherhood necklace to me by Christmas.

Oh, in case you're wondering, YES, I've waited until the last minute to Christmas shop.

I have excuses.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In that case, maybe try a boppy pillow. It's great for holding the baby during feedings, etc.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Day at the spa for sure for a pedicure and massage, plus whatever else you can swing. If she can still reach her feet, hooray, but she won't be able to for much longer. Plus a massage is heavenly at 7 or 8 or 9 months (or anytime, really).

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
For Christmas you should just stick with things that SHE wants, and not necessarily things for her that are for the baby.

I would think that a pregnant woman probably has *some* feelings of getting "lost" in the pregnancy, so to speak. Meaning that people see she's pregnant and they make comments on her pregnancy or the baby, which is fine, but it probably gets old after a while.

Sometimes she just wants to be recognized for HER and not her and the baby. If that makes sense.

So stick to buying her things that SHE likes, and concentrate on the baby at other times.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
She's at seven months and it's going to be a girl. She's asked for only a couple of things, but I'd better get her other stuff as well.

No perfume, DVDs, CDs, clothes, books, or jewelry.

I was thinking about a rocking chair, but there must be something else, something cost-effective.

Any ideas?
Do NOT give her baby items for Christmas. It is a holiday in which your wife wishes - quite rightfully - to receive a gift from you. Not a baby item. She may say "yes, sure, give me this for the nursery..." but she's not really sincere. She may think she is, but when Christmas morning comes, and all her gifts will go straight to the nursery, it will hit her. And if you think the cocoa incident was bad, just you wait.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Every pregnant woman I've known has had one of these and sworn by them. If she doesn't have a snoogle yet, it might be worth getting one. :)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000635WI/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

A really good foot rub is also a nice thing: you could find a reflexologist in the area and get her a session.

Yes, anything to make her feel better is a great idea, however you still need to give her something her. And don't get her an outfit and say, "you can wear it after the baby..." cause then she has that pressure of fitting into it sooner than might be possible.

Oh pregnancy, such a joy.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I'll second the suggestion of a massage. It's wonderful when you're feeling like a walrus. Makes you forget for just a little while.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Definitely get her a spa treatment -- I didn't suggest a massage because of the pregnancy thing, but apparently it's perfectly fine....

Ray, who obviously is not pregnant or doesn't have a pregnant wife

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No No No...these are things she'll receive at her shower. Get her a pillow, for her head, if that's the case.

Yeah. What she said.

Though I second the massage recommendation. Third trimester is full of aches and pains, and they have massage therapists who are trained to do a massage properly for late pregnancy. She might have to check with her doc first, though.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Go out and buy massage stuff so that you can massage her. More economical than a professional massage, and everybody wins!

Stuff for relaxing bath time, like candles, bubbles, loofahs, yummy soaps, bath pillow, cozy slippers

Those satiny sleep masks are good. Stores like Body Shop or BedBathNBeyond have lots of 'pamper-yourself' type of things. Target, too. Having the new baby in the house makes everything crazy, so any gift to help her feel more comfortable/relaxed/beautiful/sexy is awesome. Note I mean things that make one FEEL sexy, not things that make one APPEAR more sexy to one's partner :)

Fraulein

Spooks? Where are you?...
Registered
Reaction score
If I were to tell you, then that would be cheating
What about a nice bubble bath set (from a department store or specialty bath shop)? or extra comfy slippers, warming slippers, or massaging slippers? or a Cookie Bouquet? or a box of specialty treats like her favorite cheesecake bites or petit fours?
(I'm trying to come up with nonbady gifts that she might be able to enjoy ASAP.)

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely stuff for her, rather than for the baby. Stuff that makes her feel/look good (spa, GC for a hair cut/colour/scalp massage). Now is the time for her to focus on herself, because she won't have a lot of time for that in a few months.

And massage is perfectly fine when pregnant. I preferred professional massage over my husband's. There's something so nice about being pampered at a spa, putting on that robe and slippers, being able to swim in the pool afterward, etc.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you can't afford a day at a spa, maybe one of those foot baths or back massagers that are available and don't have to be that expensive. That way she can have one when she wants it, not just restricted to a single day.

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
Food.

Isn't that what all pregnant ladies want?