PDA

View Full Version : What can I get my pregnant wife for Christmas?

underthecity
12-19-2008, 09:02 PM
She's at seven months and it's going to be a girl. She's asked for only a couple of things, but I'd better get her other stuff as well.

No perfume, DVDs, CDs, clothes, books, or jewelry.

I was thinking about a rocking chair, but there must be something else, something cost-effective.

Any ideas?

Cranky
12-19-2008, 09:04 PM
Serious question: is she specifically asking for something for the baby? Because if not, I'd get her something strictly for her.

sunna
12-19-2008, 09:04 PM
Every pregnant woman I've known has had one of these and sworn by them. If she doesn't have a snoogle yet, it might be worth getting one. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Leachco-Snoogle-Total-Body-Pillow/dp/B0000635WI

A really good foot rub is also a nice thing: you could find a reflexologist in the area and get her a session.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-19-2008, 09:06 PM
No jewelry! That's... that's sacriledge! A mother's ring... but that might be better for the baby's actual arrival... and you might not be able to get one this quickly.

Er... ummm...

Captshady
12-19-2008, 09:06 PM
If you're looking at rocking chairs, go with a glider. They soothe a baby to sleep like it's nobody's business!

I make nothing for this referral, I'm only linking it to you because I bought one for my wife, and she loved it, and got compliments.
It's called a motherhood necklace (http://gifts.redenvelope.com/necklaces/motherhoodnecklace-18852220?viewpos=6&trackingpgroup=rffjw&catid=rffjw).

underthecity
12-19-2008, 09:07 PM
I gave her a body pillow a few months ago per a suggestion on this forum.

She hasn't asked for anything specifically for the baby, no.

But I AM pretty much single handedly preparing my former library (sigh) to be the nursery, that is stripping wallpaper and cleaning and fixing walls. One of her aunts is going to paint.

underthecity
12-19-2008, 09:09 PM
I think only a Christmas miracle could get that motherhood necklace to me by Christmas.

Oh, in case you're wondering, YES, I've waited until the last minute to Christmas shop.

I have excuses.

maestrowork
12-19-2008, 09:12 PM
How about pedicure/manicure and hair appointment?

Cranky
12-19-2008, 09:12 PM
In that case, maybe try a boppy pillow (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_12605_Baby_Feeding_Bottles%2C+Bibs+%26+Acc essories?sbf=Brand&sbv=Boppy&sLevel=1%). It's great for holding the baby during feedings, etc.

illiterwrite
12-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Day at the spa for sure for a pedicure and massage, plus whatever else you can swing. If she can still reach her feet, hooray, but she won't be able to for much longer. Plus a massage is heavenly at 7 or 8 or 9 months (or anytime, really).

Fraulein
12-19-2008, 09:30 PM
What about a nice, terry cloth bath robe? (in a maternity size, of course)

TerzaRima
12-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Why is jewelry sacrilege? Am I missing something?

James81
12-19-2008, 09:34 PM
For Christmas you should just stick with things that SHE wants, and not necessarily things for her that are for the baby.

I would think that a pregnant woman probably has *some* feelings of getting "lost" in the pregnancy, so to speak. Meaning that people see she's pregnant and they make comments on her pregnancy or the baby, which is fine, but it probably gets old after a while.

Sometimes she just wants to be recognized for HER and not her and the baby. If that makes sense.

So stick to buying her things that SHE likes, and concentrate on the baby at other times.

jennifer75
12-19-2008, 09:38 PM
She's at seven months and it's going to be a girl. She's asked for only a couple of things, but I'd better get her other stuff as well.

No perfume, DVDs, CDs, clothes, books, or jewelry.

I was thinking about a rocking chair, but there must be something else, something cost-effective.

Any ideas?
Do NOT give her baby items for Christmas. It is a holiday in which your wife wishes - quite rightfully - to receive a gift from you. Not a baby item. She may say "yes, sure, give me this for the nursery..." but she's not really sincere. She may think she is, but when Christmas morning comes, and all her gifts will go straight to the nursery, it will hit her. And if you think the cocoa incident was bad, just you wait.

Fraulein
12-19-2008, 09:38 PM
Why is jewelry sacrilege? Am I missing something?If she's not into wearing jewelery, then it might just sit in the box, which sucks.

jennifer75
12-19-2008, 09:40 PM
Every pregnant woman I've known has had one of these and sworn by them. If she doesn't have a snoogle yet, it might be worth getting one. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Leachco-Snoogle-Total-Body-Pillow/dp/B0000635WI

A really good foot rub is also a nice thing: you could find a reflexologist in the area and get her a session.

Yes, anything to make her feel better is a great idea, however you still need to give her something her. And don't get her an outfit and say, "you can wear it after the baby..." cause then she has that pressure of fitting into it sooner than might be possible.

Oh pregnancy, such a joy.

jennifer75
12-19-2008, 09:42 PM
In that case, maybe try a boppy pillow (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_12605_Baby_Feeding_Bottles%2C+Bibs+%26+Acc essories?sbf=Brand&sbv=Boppy&sLevel=1%). It's great for holding the baby during feedings, etc.

No No No...these are things she'll receive at her shower. Get her a pillow, for her head, if that's the case.

Perks
12-19-2008, 09:43 PM
I'll second the suggestion of a massage. It's wonderful when you're feeling like a walrus. Makes you forget for just a little while.

maestrowork
12-19-2008, 09:45 PM
Definitely get her a spa treatment -- I didn't suggest a massage because of the pregnancy thing, but apparently it's perfectly fine....

Ray, who obviously is not pregnant or doesn't have a pregnant wife

Cranky
12-19-2008, 09:46 PM
No No No...these are things she'll receive at her shower. Get her a pillow, for her head, if that's the case.

Yeah. What she said.

Though I second the massage recommendation. Third trimester is full of aches and pains, and they have massage therapists who are trained to do a massage properly for late pregnancy. She might have to check with her doc first, though.

Kitty Pryde
12-19-2008, 10:23 PM
Go out and buy massage stuff so that you can massage her. More economical than a professional massage, and everybody wins!

Stuff for relaxing bath time, like candles, bubbles, loofahs, yummy soaps, bath pillow, cozy slippers

Those satiny sleep masks are good. Stores like Body Shop or BedBathNBeyond have lots of 'pamper-yourself' type of things. Target, too. Having the new baby in the house makes everything crazy, so any gift to help her feel more comfortable/relaxed/beautiful/sexy is awesome. Note I mean things that make one FEEL sexy, not things that make one APPEAR more sexy to one's partner :)

Fraulein
12-19-2008, 10:23 PM
What about a nice bubble bath set (from a department store or specialty bath shop)? or extra comfy slippers, warming slippers, or massaging slippers? or a Cookie Bouquet? or a box of specialty treats like her favorite cheesecake bites or petit fours?
(I'm trying to come up with nonbady gifts that she might be able to enjoy ASAP.)

illiterwrite
12-19-2008, 10:27 PM
Definitely stuff for her, rather than for the baby. Stuff that makes her feel/look good (spa, GC for a hair cut/colour/scalp massage). Now is the time for her to focus on herself, because she won't have a lot of time for that in a few months.

And massage is perfectly fine when pregnant. I preferred professional massage over my husband's. There's something so nice about being pampered at a spa, putting on that robe and slippers, being able to swim in the pool afterward, etc.

DeleyanLee
12-19-2008, 10:27 PM
If you can't afford a day at a spa, maybe one of those foot baths or back massagers that are available and don't have to be that expensive. That way she can have one when she wants it, not just restricted to a single day.

WerenCole
12-19-2008, 10:34 PM
Food.

Isn't that what all pregnant ladies want?

cray
12-19-2008, 10:35 PM
Definitely get her a spa treatment -- I didn't suggest a massage because of the pregnancy thing, but apparently it's perfectly fine....

Ray, who obviously is not pregnant or doesn't have a pregnant wife

pregnancy massages are all the rage.

that would be a good gift, underthecity.

illiterwrite
12-19-2008, 10:46 PM
Food.

Isn't that what all pregnant ladies want?

For every day, yes. Not for a special gift.

CACTUSWENDY
12-19-2008, 10:49 PM
You might buy her a 'me oh my' ...'peek a boo' nitie for using after the baby has been born. (Might make it a size or two larger.....) Just to let her know that there is 'life' after the baby is born. ;)

Since you are in the cold area of the USA....might some nice, warm house slippers work?

Since you are a writer, how about a nice sonnet or poem about how much you love her....? That would come only from your heart.

Sorry......about the jewerly being out. There are some really neat ones...like a locket.

cray
12-19-2008, 10:55 PM
get her a book of mcdonalds coupons. :D

WerenCole
12-19-2008, 11:00 PM
For every day, yes. Not for a special gift.

Lots of food then.

Perks
12-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Just a note sprung from personal opinion - a massage from your husband is not the same as a massage from a professional, even if the husband happens to be one. When it's a paid service, the scoreboard is not, thankfully, highlighted by how much everybody loves each other. It's an uncomplicated business transaction and the relaxation benefits are more easily enjoyed.

If you're going the relaxing route, I'd definitely go for the professional. Home pampering is nice, but when you're pregnant, it can feel like just one more thing you have to do. Plus bath products can cause irritation on the sensitive bits, especially during pregnancy. Everything gets weird for a little while.

WendyNYC
12-19-2008, 11:10 PM
pregnancy massages are all the rage.

that would be a good gift, underthecity.

Pregnancy massages are freaking awesome. Lots of spas offer them, and some even have special tables for you to hang your big ole belly.

sheadakota
12-19-2008, 11:10 PM
Why no jewlery underthrcity? If money is a problem, might I suggest walmart or kmart- they actually have pretty nice stuff and the price is affordable. A sweet diamond solitare necklace would be a beautiful gift. It doesn't have to be a hundred carots or anything. Just a thought.

WerenCole
12-19-2008, 11:16 PM
Maybe it is just me but I would prefer to give no jewelry at all than K-Mart jewelry.

Then again, if it is from S-Mart, that is a whole other story.

Because every body knows that you should Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.

underthecity
12-19-2008, 11:17 PM
She didn't want jewelry because she says she has enough already, and it's true. She does.

We've discussed a prenatal massage, but she's heard conflicting reports about them. Some say it can cause a miscarriage (I think) and others say it's fine.

She's already concerned about gaining too much weight during the pregnancy to get her food coupons (she lost 100 pounds two years ago) so that's out of the question.

WendyNYC
12-19-2008, 11:20 PM
We've discussed a prenatal massage, but she's heard conflicting reports about them. Some say it can cause a miscarriage (I think) and others say it's fine.

Really? Oy. That's out then. Even if it's perfectly safe, which it probably is, she'll probably spend her time worrying that it's not. Why must *everything* be bad for pregnant women?

MoonWriter
12-19-2008, 11:23 PM
If you don't plan on having anymore kids, a vasectomy receipt from your doctor might be a pleasant surprise.

ETA - Don't forget to wrap it up pretty - you don't want to come off looking tacky.

Perks
12-19-2008, 11:25 PM

I'd really be curious as to the reputation of anyone claiming that. A bellyflop onto a curb at seven months is unlikely to cause a miscarriage. (Seriously, the pregnant uterus is amazingly tough. This very situation happened to a client of a midwife-mentor of mine. She told me that if you can stand up and have nothing to show for an incident, except maybe some bruises, it is highly unlikely that you have hurt your baby or your pregnancy.)

WackAMole
12-19-2008, 11:28 PM
Best things I got when pregnant:

1. A warm, soft HUGE fuzzy robe.

2. Warm, soft, fuzzy slippers :)

3. A foot bath thingy with all the nice smelling lotions and salts

4. A good book

5. Journaling stuff, a camera

I was so sick of being pregnant when christmas came around that it was awesome to get stuff that was about comfort for "me" because I was VERY uncomfortable LOL

WendyNYC
12-19-2008, 11:29 PM
ETA - Don't forget to wrap it up pretty - you don't want to come off looking tacky.

You mean like a d*ck in a box? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhwbxEfy7fg)

MoonWriter
12-19-2008, 11:53 PM
I'm still laughing, Wendy. I meant the receipt. I'm not sure if all women have that increased drive during pregnancy so your idea might not be best for Under. But you sure save me a trip to the mall! Thanks.

trickywoo
12-20-2008, 05:18 AM
Get her a gift certificate for a spa/massage/hair color for after the baby comes. And do whatever it takes to make sure she uses it.

My husband gave me this after our first son was born, and I used it when the baby was about three months old. It was amazing! I think I got a half hour massage and highlights or something - felt wonderful in the haze of newborn demands, sleep deprivation, and nursing.

robeiae
12-20-2008, 05:25 AM
An epidural.

mscelina
12-20-2008, 05:39 AM
Anything that makes her feel pretty is a good thing right now. Seriously. you want her to know that you think she's beautiful--extremely so. keep that in mind, and you won't go wrong.

Day spa appointment and massage appointments are good ideas but I would concentrate on stuff for the home. Bath oils, massage oils, bubble bath, perfume, skin care stuff, a lovely negligee or a warm flannel nightgown, depending on what kind of girl she is (may sure it's PRETTY) and you can NOT go wrong with a HOT pair of shoes. (at least not in my house) As for jewelry, I never turn it down or complain. I'd think bracelet--maybe even a charm bracelet that your daughter can help add to for Mommy birthdays in the future. But you start it off with a special charm that shows her how much you love her.

BUT, as far as giving her a 'baby' thing...

Don't get her a baby thing. Go out, on your own, and buy a beautiful little dress for a newborn baby. Wrap it, write your soon-to-be daughter's name on the tag, and give it to your wife to unwrap. She'll love it--especially because you did it all on your own. Not some practical thing, a frilly little dress that you'll want a picture of the baby in. PRETTY.

robeiae
12-20-2008, 05:42 AM
Stop training him, Celina. He needs to screw up on his own...

;)

Chumplet
12-20-2008, 05:42 AM
When I was pregnant, one of the gifts my husband included in the soapy, lotiony kit was a scarf-like scrubbing cloth that I could use in the shower. It made it easer to reach my feet because bending over to scrub my toes was so difficult. Great for scrubbin the back, too. You just hold the ends and loop it over whatever.

mscelina
12-20-2008, 05:47 AM
Stop training him, Celina. He needs to screw up on his own...

;)

Bite me. On second thought, you'd enjoy that. I'll bite you. ;)

My favorite present when I was pregnant with my oldest child was a box with three little onesies and three little pairs of socks. I played with those things every day for four more months until she was born.*shrug* It's possible I am weird, but when my husband did something like that it was so unexepected that I would just love him more for it.

As I said, I could just be odd. Carry on.

illiterwrite
12-20-2008, 05:52 AM
I'd really be curious as to the reputation of anyone claiming that. A bellyflop onto a curb at seven months is unlikely to cause a miscarriage. (Seriously, the pregnant uterus is amazingly tough. This very situation happened to a client of a midwife-mentor of mine. She told me that if you can stand up and have nothing to show for an incident, except maybe some bruises, it is highly unlikely that you have hurt your baby or your pregnancy.)

Massages are fine. Putting your big old belly in one of those holes for the massage is not really recommended, because it puts too much strain on your back. I lay on my side.

There are pressure points in your ankles to avoid -- they can apparently trigger contractions. A good massage therapist will avoid them.

BenPanced
12-20-2008, 06:42 AM
A nanny and tickets to every movie or play she wants to see for the next 18 years.

underthecity
12-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Some excellent suggestions all around. I like the idea of a frilly dress and I'm going to do that. Plus I'm going to look into the prenatal massage.

She has the soap and lotions and things, and I believe she has a scarf-like bath thing. If she doesn't, maybe I'll look for one.

It's too early for a vasectomy and she plans to have an epidural for the birth. She isn't into poetry and I SUCK at writing it, so she's not getting anything like that from me.

Here's what she is getting:

digital video camera (she wanted it, we bought it together)
Hamilton Beach mixer (she wanted it, we bought it together)
Dillard's gift certificate for perfume and stuff (she wanted it)

She's also getting:

a rocking chair (and I could only find one at Cracker Barrel)
the frilly dress

um . . .

I don't know, maybe a d*ck in a box.

mscelina
12-20-2008, 03:41 PM
For the frilly dress for the baby, this is the mental cue you want to go on. When she opens the box, you want her to say, "This is so adorable. We are SO getting the baby's picture taken in this!"

So when you're looking for the frilly dress (little matching cute baby shoes wouldn't hurt either) think of what your wife would like to see the baby in for her first formal baby picture and go from there. *hugs* Trust me. This will WORK.

Maryn
12-20-2008, 06:45 PM
I was thinking about this thread and asked Mr. Maryn if he remember what he'd bought me when I was massively pregnant, since my "don't" list was pretty much identical to Mrs. Underthecity's.

All he had to do was point.

Consider getting her utterly impractical art. A photograph, framed. A burled wood bowl or pottery vase for display purposes. An original painting. Your city's big enough that it surely supports many studios and galleries--and they won't be crowded, either. You don't mention how much you want to spend, but you can often get something truly beautiful for under $100 (half that for photographs), and she can enjoy it for years.

Maryn, whose list includes this (http://www.signals.com/graphics/products/regular/HF8562G.jpg)

mscelina
12-20-2008, 06:48 PM
That's lovely, Maryn.

Celina, who is saving the picture to her hard drive

maestrowork
12-20-2008, 09:12 PM
I don't know, maybe a d*ck in a box.

Copycat. That's what I'm giving...

underthecity
12-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Maryn, that's a great idea, but she's not into art. In fact, any piece of art in this house was provided by me.

Now, regarding the frilly dress, I went out and bought a nice little baby-size (0-3 month) pink dress, socks, and shoes, all recommended by these two nice ladies at the store. They were shoppers who I heard mention that they had boys and wish they had girls to dress up. I said, "Hey, excuse me," and they were happy to oblige.

Technically, though, they picked out the outfit and I just agreed.

Do I give this to my wife, or the baby?

allen

scarletpeaches
12-20-2008, 09:28 PM
...Do I give this to my wife, or the baby?

allen

A grown man is asking this?

Um...the dress won't fit your wife.

If I was pregnant and all I got bought for me was baby things, I'd hit the roof.

mscelina
12-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Maryn, that's a great idea, but she's not into art. In fact, any piece of art in this house was provided by me.

Now, regarding the frilly dress, I went out and bought a nice little baby-size (0-3 month) pink dress, socks, and shoes, all recommended by these two nice ladies at the store. They were shoppers who I heard mention that they had boys and wish they had girls to dress up. I said, "Hey, excuse me," and they were happy to oblige.

Technically, though, they picked out the outfit and I just agreed.

Do I give this to my wife, or the baby?

allen

You give it to the BABY. Put the baby's name on the tag or, if you haven't decided on a name yet, put "to Baby from Papa" or Dad or whatever your preferred daddy name is going to be. Do NOT give it to your wife. Hide the present under all the others; just let her open it. This is a present for the BABY; it's just sucking up to your WIFE. Good move on letting the women in the store pick the stuff out too, by the way.

mscelina
12-20-2008, 09:33 PM
Um...you did get some presents for your wife, right? This isn't everything you got, is it? I mean...um...she has presents with her name on them under the tree too, right? If the answer to the last question is 'no' pick up your check book, go BACK out, and get something fabulous just for her.

underthecity
12-20-2008, 11:40 PM
Well, among other things I got her a fabulous rocking chair, courtesy of Cracker Barrel.