PDA

View Full Version : Funny emotional pregnancy story

underthecity
12-19-2008, 09:00 PM
My wife is seven months pregnant. She told me that yesterday morning she was craving McDonald's hot chocolate, nothing else would do. On her way to work, she stopped at the closest one, stood forever in line then was told at the counter that they didn't have any hot chocolate.

It seems they're in a transition period where they are getting a new machine to make expensive hot chocolate and lattes and things. It's not installed yet.

So she drives to the next one. The menu board advertised the new lattes and things, so after standing in line "forever" they told her no hot chocolate. She asked for a latte. No, they explained, the machine wasn't in yet.

After hearing this she went out to her car, sat down in the driver's seat and "cried and cried and cried."

She even told herself that she couldn't believe she was crying over hot chocolate, but it was partially because of the frustration part of it all.

She told me this story and I laughed and laughed and laughed. I know, I'm horrible.

allen

Plot Device
12-19-2008, 09:22 PM
I've never even been pregnant and I have had craving episodes like that too. :)

(And I hope that as you laughed, she laughed with you.)

CaroGirl
12-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Aw. It's terrible to want something so badly -- no matter how inconsequential it might seem to others -- but not be able to get it.

Poor little underthecity's wife.

jennifer75
12-19-2008, 09:35 PM
You know what you need to do, right? You need to go buy her some of the best hot chocolate you can find. And then make it for her. Repeat if necessary. Then rub her feet.

underthecity
12-19-2008, 11:05 PM
PlotDevice, she was laughing with me. I think in retrospect she saw how funny it was.

Jennifer, we do have some very good hot chocolate. Also, we planned to go out for dinner tonight, so we may stop for hot chocolate later.

And I touch her feet all the time. :)

Perks
12-19-2008, 11:20 PM
I cried once, at about seven months pregnant, because Kenny Roger's The Gambler is such an amazingly crafted bit of American storytelling and that it must have made him so proud, and that when lyrics come together like that, it just feels like something was meant to be and... yikes.

Then I was laughing and crying.

To be pregnant is to be mildly (to moderately) insane.

Stew21
12-19-2008, 11:44 PM
When I was pregnant I cried about something stupid and totally inconsequential. Then I cried harder because I couldn't believe I was so imbalanced as to cry over something so stupid, and how embarrassing and frustrating it is to cry over nothing important.

I also craved dill pickles really badly one day, so on my way home from work I stopped at a grocery store, bought the biggest jar of pickles I could find. I couldn't wait until I got home to eat them, so I drove down the highway with a big open jar of pickles, happily eating one gigantic pickle after another all the way home.

There is nothing sane about pregnancy.

Perks
12-19-2008, 11:50 PM
I had to drive out to the grocery store one night to buy a lemon. At ten o'clock. I thought I was going to die if I didn't have a lemon to eat. By itself.

cray
12-19-2008, 11:51 PM
:Wha:

Jersey Chick
12-19-2008, 11:55 PM
When I was pregnant with my daughter, I made my husband go out at nearly midnight because I wanted a bagel with butter. Fortunately for him, we had a Dunkin Donuts right around the corner from where we used to live. Fortunately for me, he was a good sport about getting the bagel.

But, you do have to make the hot chocolate for your wife, if she's still craving it. :D

Stew21
12-19-2008, 11:55 PM
:Wha:

So I guess I shouldn't mention my pregnancy-induced almost daily tuna salad sandwich and chocolate malt habit.

cray
12-19-2008, 11:56 PM
well, that's stuff that, you know, people eat.

but lemons?

Perks
12-19-2008, 11:59 PM
I know. And that lemon was so gooooood.

Now, I'm a little weird anyway. I occasionally drink vinegar and am known to sip, at times, at a shotglass full of Texas Pete hot sauce.

And this is while 100% unpreggers.

MoonWriter
12-20-2008, 12:02 AM
My wife and I went to a restaurant. Nothing looked appetizing to her except the desserts, so we ordered three and shared. And her eating habits really started to get weird when she was pregnant.

Sarita
12-20-2008, 12:08 AM
I had to drive out to the grocery store one night to buy a lemon. At ten o'clock. I thought I was going to die if I didn't have a lemon to eat. By itself.

well, that's stuff that, you know, people eat.

but lemons?
I ate 2 lemons while I was pregnant. And every night before bed, I had 2 HUGE grapefruit. They were soooo good. Seriously, my only cravings during pregnancy were certain kinds of fruit and hot sauce. We have a brew pub just down the street. When I was pregnant, I wanted their hurricane mary hot hot sauce on everything. They would give me a container of it to take home once a week, just because they loved me so :)

Kitrianna
12-20-2008, 12:12 AM
I never had the horrible cravings...or at least I don't remeber never being able to get the food in question. I did go on a bit with my youngest where I wanted pumpkin bread and hot chocolate from the very expensive coffee shop downstairs from our apartment. I always got it though. Kthrok remembered the emotional train wreck I was with our other children.

Stew21
12-20-2008, 12:13 AM
I don't think the vinegar thing is weird at all.

Perks
12-20-2008, 12:15 AM
They were soooo good. Seriously, my only cravings during pregnancy were certain kinds of fruit and hot sauce.

Do I know you?

I occasionally drink vinegar and am known to sip, at times, at a shotglass full of Texas Pete hot sauce.

Kitrianna
12-20-2008, 12:16 AM
I remember the foods that turned my stomach more...eggs, meat, sweets. Those would send me running for the washroom.

nevada
12-20-2008, 12:38 AM
Threads like this make me happy that I never had children. I already cry for no reason at silly things. I can just imagine what a wreck i would have been pregnant. lmao

And I know that Jongfan loves to eat lemons. So it's not the weirdest thing ever.

WendyNYC
12-20-2008, 12:44 AM
Kimchee. I had to eat it ALL THE TIME. Seriously, every day for months.

Cranky
12-20-2008, 12:45 AM

I've been known to eat a pound or so of green grapes at a go when preggers.

In between bouts of scrubbing blinds with toothbrushes and the like.

Devil Ledbetter
12-20-2008, 12:49 AM
I constantly craved fruit, especially berries, through all of my pregnancies. But my favorite crave was orange juice over vanilla ice cream.

P.H.Delarran
12-20-2008, 12:53 AM
and yet they serve breakfast until 11 am.
poor girl, I understand her emotion and I'm NOT pregnant.
give her a hug. then give her three more for laughing so hard. ;)

Stew21
12-20-2008, 01:06 AM
I drank a ton of fruit juice when pregnant but couldn't stand the pulp or skin of any of the fruits I loved (for some reason they gagged me) so couldn't eat them.

A couple of times while pregnant with Stew #1, I did wake up at 3 AM to peel and dice potatoes so I could eat mashed potatoes. I just really wanted mashed potatoes and it seemed perfectly logical to get up in the middle of the night and make them.

My husband suggested that instant might be the way to go for night cravings. "Instant? That's not even close to the same thing!"

JoNightshade
12-20-2008, 01:17 AM
I've never even been pregnant and I have had craving episodes like that too. :)

Ditto. Plus, when I'm PMSing, I cry at the drop of a pin.

I'm kind of scared of what pregnancy will do to me. :D

Old Hack
12-20-2008, 02:21 AM
Ha. If you think pregnancy makes women emotional, just you WAIT until three or four days after birth. After every single one of my babies I've turned into a wreck for a day or two then. It's like a switch being flicked.

Feiss
12-20-2008, 03:09 AM
I cry like crazy during the first three months after falling in love. My boyfriend thought I was insane.

trickywoo
12-20-2008, 04:56 AM
I'm just about that far along and can totally relate. The other day I almost cried at the grocery store because the wait was too long at the deli counter and then the bagger didn't offer to help me out.

Have pity on the poor pregg-o's you see.

stormie
12-20-2008, 05:01 AM
I cry all the time anyway. Pregnant or not. Glad your wife laughed when you did, Allen!

(I craved milk with the first one, tomato juice with the second. I'd drink it right out of the 1 litre container and finish it in one sitting. I was a lovely sight.)

underthecity
12-20-2008, 03:47 PM
She did tell me that she related the story to a coworker earlier that day and laughed about it, so my reaction wasn't so bad.

She hasn't been craving any oddball foods, however, she said that two nights ago she got up at 1:30 and was hungry and wanted a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. But the bread was frozen. She had peanut butter and jelly on crackers instead.

I suppose sooner or later she'll wake me up at midnight to have her go get me something from McDonalds or someplace.

Kitrianna
12-20-2008, 05:23 PM
If it hasn't happened yet, it probably won't. :)

Darzian
12-20-2008, 06:37 PM
I've heard that when you're pregnant, you may desire sour stuff like lemons and raw mangoes. Raw mangoes are quite popular here among the pregananties.