Tips on getting Web content writing jobs/gigs?

Persimmon

Registered
Reaction score
I’m just wondering if anyone might be able to offer any tips on finding Web content writing gigs. I’m mostly looking for thoughts on:

* Whom to contact (Web sites to check for decent jobs and what types of companies send proposals to);

* What to say in my proposal (If anyone has a sample of a successful letter they’d be willing to PM or post, I’d be eternally grateful for that. :) ).

I can find those $5/article jobs just fine, but the problem is I have a really hard time churning out what I consider to be fluff (even when the clients want fluff), so I always invest too much time in research. I just can’t turn them out fast enough to earn even a subsistence living. I've tried, but I get so burned out. Plus, I’m sick of these clients who want the freakin’ moon on a stick or $0.000001 a word.

What I have in mind is something like what the lady who runs http://inkwelleditorial.blogspot.com does. (Yes, she sells a book about how to get started, but there’s no way I can afford it on what I make now.) Right now, I’m fine with even $10 for a 500-word article requiring only cursory research.

I've suddenly become the only income-earner in the household, so I really need to get going with this. Any tips, advice, hints, etc., greatly appreciated.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
FreelanceWritingGigs.com.

Seriously, read the job links, read the archives. Nothin' better for a new content writer.

Persimmon

Registered
Reaction score
WildScribe, thanks for the tip. I’ve looked around at the site and it definitely looks promising.

Last edited:

MoneyMakinMama

Registered
Reaction score
If you're fine with $10 pay, try QualityGal.com and BrightHub.com. Also, AssociatedContent.com just ran an ad on CL for Custom Content Producers willing to write for $15+ per article. HTH

annew

Registered
Reaction score
Deb and Jody over at freelancewritinggigs do a great job and so do I at www.aboutfreelancewriting.com - I post jobs 3 times a week, and only freelance jobs... there's some overlap, and some that isn't... neither Deb nor I can figure out exactly why, but between the two of us you've got a whole lot covered.

Anne Wayman, now blogging at www.aboutfreelancewriting.com

Rats, forgot I had an old old sig here... off to edit, blushing all the way

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Get on all the writing newsletters you can. This way, you'll know ahead of time what jobs are out there, such as AW's great newsletter, etc.

skyscrape32

Registered
Reaction score
You can join a network that caters freelance workers like GetAFreelance.com and Odesk

Persimmon

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Thanks for your input. I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier. I got sidetracked...with work. :)
I'll definitely look into the sites mentioned.

Thanks again. I appreciate the help.

P

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Check out Examiner.com. You're paid per hit rather than per article, but you can choose a topic you enjoy writing about. I love writing about Orlando attractions, and I'm really enjoying working with Examiner so far. Try to choose a topic that has wider appeal than just your local area. Even tho' I'm an Orlando local examiner, articles about the theme parks and attractions get a wide audience from other cities/states.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
You can join a network that caters freelance workers like GetAFreelance.com and Odesk

I second the recommendation for oDesk.

Let me tell you a bit about their support....

Yesterday, I couldn't get in to view my list of candidacies (pending applications). I posted about it on Twitter. Today I got a phone call from one of the UI designers asking about the issue. I wasn't at the computer then (out to lunch, actually) and asked if I could call him back. When I got back to the computer, I checked first to see if I still had the same problem.

Nope. The issue was resolved.

But, really, that's some good support, IMO.

Plus...One benefit of oDesk is they go after clients who are slow to/don't pay so you don't have to. You still get paid by oDesk for the work done, providing you worked within their system (they have software you have to download & use to work for them).