Food packaging can be frustrating...

Fraulein

Spooks? Where are you?...
Registered
Reaction score
If I were to tell you, then that would be cheating
Is anyone else frustrated with poorly packaged food?

Here are a few examples: I bought a cup of yogurt that was spoiled due to an insufficient lid seal, a box of cereal with a flimsy internal bag that ended up with a huge rip in it after I tried to open it, a can of something or another that didn't have a tab attached to the seal (I had to use my fingers to open it, and they went right into the food as I was struggling to open it), and crispy things that were sealed in a bag that ripped halfway open with one pull of the seal.

I like to save money, thus I understand the economy of efficient packaging, but I think this is going too far.

Please, share your experiences. :e2BIC: Also, is there anything else to worry about out there or that can be done as far as preventative measures go?

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
I picked up a block of cheese at the supermarket once and one end was green with mould despite it still being sealed in it's packet. I always check the cheese now.

I've also bought packets of cereal and chips and various other things that have been sliced open by the store staff when they open the box and they just leave them there! You'd think they could be a little more careful, or maybe it's just my supermarket. Annoying though.

I also once skidded over in the supermarket because a jar of pickles wasn't sealed properly and had been pouring liquid out of my trolley ever since I'd taken it off the shelf. And we can't even sue in this country. If I'd been in America I could have made a bit out of that.

Come to think of it, maybe I just go to a really crap supermarket...

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I've also bought packets of cereal and chips and various other things that have been sliced open by the store staff when they open the box and they just leave them there! You'd think they could be a little more careful, or maybe it's just my supermarket. Annoying though.

Come to think of it, maybe I just go to a really crap supermarket...

You likely have a problem similar to the one around where I live-- the workers get paid too little to care about the job they do. (Though, to be fair, it's often really, really hard to tell you've sliced the inner box when stocking, especially if it's just a thin slice with a brand new blade.)

As for my own packaging experiences, the recurring one that drives me batty is the leaking ice cream. I can never find where it comes out of the carton, but by the time it gets home (esp. when it's warm out) there is melted ice cream in the paper grocery bag and anything under the ice cream carton. Grr. (And it's not condensation... it's Vanilla-flavored.)

I also despise how paper grocery bags are getting to be really thin and useless. It was bad enough when our local chain store lopped the top three inches (or so) off the bag so it's shorter, but now they barely hold any weight. If only I wasn't too cheap to buy garbage bags for the kitchen instead of using the grocery bags!

ABekah

Registered
Reaction score
Currently? Walks over to check address book...Mar
I really wish they would use something other than foil for yoghurt tops. I've gotten home a few times to find the yoghurt tops have been slit or dented all the way through; they weren't that way when I picked them up.

Teleute

Skeptic
Registered
Reaction score
I've noticed this, too; the packaging these days is just made out of inferior materials. Whether that's for environmental or cost-cutting reasons, I'm not sure.

Fraulein

Spooks? Where are you?...
Registered
Reaction score
If I were to tell you, then that would be cheating
I just started to intensely scrutinize food boxes and such before buying them to prevent myself from buying sliced-up boxes of stale cereal or pickle jars with popped seals.
I didn't think that about being vigilant with jars, so thanks overtired! :e2fight: