The saddest news I've heard in a while...

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
((((Hug.))))

This is why I rarely read the news anymore. I can get the barebones headlines via Yahoo, and skip the sad details as needed.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can make a guess . . . I don't think I even want to click the link.

Fraulein

Spooks? Where are you?...
Registered
Reaction score
If I were to tell you, then that would be cheating
I might be the oddball out here, but I don't think it was too painful of a way to go (if there was any pain at all). It could have been a lot worse, like getting hit by a car or starving to death.
I'm not trying to turn this into a 'glass is half full' kind of thing, but I do think it could have been a lot worse. [smoke inhalation isn't that bad]

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
I might be the oddball out here, but I don't think it was too painful of a way to go (if there was any pain at all). It could have been a lot worse, like getting hit by a car or starving to death.
I'm not trying to turn this into a 'glass is half full' kind of thing, but I do think it could have been a lot worse.

I can't think of a more awful way to die than burning to death. Sure some of them would have succumbed from the smoke but not all of them. and imagine the absolute terror they must have felt beforehand. No, to me, dying in a fire is the worst way to go. for anyone, animal or human.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com

It's in my city. We're working on getting funds together to rebuild it. It's a terribly sad story and the city and the rest of the animal loving world is coming together to rebuild.

Reaction score
I'm not trying to turn this into a 'glass is half full' kind of thing, but I do think it could have been a lot worse. [smoke inhalation isn't that bad]

I think drowning would be worse. But then, I can't swim so I have a horror of getting in a body of water I can't get out of.

Here is a photo of a lovely animal to try to cheer people up:(:
Badgercub.gif

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
For those not clicking the link...the humane society burned down and most of the animals died in the fire. It's really sad news. If you are interested in donating to the rebuild...I can find the link. They are accepting funds through Paypal too...to make it easier for those not in our city.

Elwolf

Rabbit! Hunting Mode.
Registered
Reaction score
Poor animals. Good thing the workers have a grief councilor.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
LINK: http://www.humanedurham.com/membership.html

Donation Information

Global Spectrum Facility Management is collecting donations and items for the Humane Society at the GM Centre. Individuals can drop-off their items at Gate 1, at the General Motors Centre; 99 Athol Street East, Oshawa Ontario, from 10:00AM - 6:00PM Monday to Friday, and from 10:00AM - 4:00PM on Saturdays.

To make a Donation, please contact the Human Society directly at 905-436-5632 or contact the City of Oshawa's call centre, SERVICE OSHAWA, at 905-436-3311

You can also donate on-line through PayPal. Go to the www.humanedurham.com website and access the info there.

A trust fund has been set up as well

Scotiabank, Oshawa Main Branch, 75 King St West, Oshawa Ontario L1H 8W7

Account # 80762 002 01000 13

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
UPDATE: They just posted this to their site...

http://www.humanedurham.com/humanesocietyfire.html

The IAMS SuperDogs show, one of North America’s most popular family events, will bring their stunning, riveting, exhilarating canine spectacle to the General Motors Centre on Tuesday, December 30 at 2 p.m.

Global Spectrum will donate a portion of the proceeds from tickets sold for this event to the Humane Society of Durham Region. IAMS Company will also contribute a portion to this donation as well.

In addition, Global Spectrum Facility Management is collecting donations and items for the Humane Society at the GM Centre. Individuals can drop-off their items at Gate 1, at the General Motors Centre; 99 Athol Street East, Oshawa Ontario, from 10:00AM - 6:00PM Monday to Friday, and from 10:00AM - 4:00PM on Saturdays.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I think drowning would be worse. But then, I can't swim so I have a horror of getting in a body of water I can't get out of.
Not that I'd know, but I always thought drowning was relatively painless. I could be wrong.

But I think burning in a fire would be just awful.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Not that I'd know, but I always thought drowning was relatively painless. I could be wrong.

But I think burning in a fire would be just awful.

Smoke inhalation was the major cause of death here.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Poor animals. What a shame. :(

I hope they can rebuild and begin again. This service is essential to any community.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I read an even sadder news story in the paper yesterday. Some dude out in Alberta or somewhere starved a bunch of horses. Among them, 27 died of starvation, 100 were recovered from his farm but were on their way to dying. He got convicted of the crime and was sentenced but, really, all those poor horses. Who could be so cruel? At least this fire was accidental.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
There was another one out in western Canada yesterday. A guy was charged with tying his blind dog to the back of his car and dragging her. Tragic tragic case.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
On their donation page, there is a link to their paypal page. There, you will find buttons for different denominations. The lowest one is $10. If ten is too much during the holidays...you can go directly to your account and donate $5...every bit counts.

Sorry to turn the thread into a charity drive. I'll stop now. (-: