Anyone live near Dartmoor?

starrykitten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a story based on a driving tour I took of Dartmoor (the area around Postbridge) and, while I can look up general history, there's some stuff I remember vague bits of that I'd like to include. Let me know if you happen to know stuff about Dartmoor. Thanks!

starrykitten

Registered
Reaction score
I live about an hour away. :) What specifically were you looking for?

Neat!

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get into the story, but there's one thing first that you might know about.

My guide was telling me a story involving soldiers camping there and leaving in a hurry and burying their cans of food, which were later dug up by the locals. Does that sound familiar to you? I can't remember the details.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I can't remember offhand but I have a couple of books on Dartmoor folklore/legends, so I'll look that up later today okay? And see if I can find anything.

I will say though, that the moors are so big and there are so many stories about them, that you pretty much have carte blanche to make up any kind of tale you like. :)

starrykitten

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! :)

Well, my MC is just doing what I did, a short taxi tour, so I at least want to make sure stuff I mention would be in that area. But it's good to know I can make up stories and probably get away with it. If nothing else, people will think that I'm portraying the taxi driver as confused. :)