PDA

View Full Version : Quit smoking

AllaFlardow
12-18-2008, 04:54 AM
Hi all, I'm trying to quit smoking, and really don't know how to do this. I read books such "Easy Way To Stop Smoking" but seems it's for kids, it doesn't help.
I decided try ZYBAN (http://www.1o1generic.com/catalogue.php?category=59190&prod_id=46), friends from other office convince me. To be continued :)

Gary
12-18-2008, 05:50 AM
When you finally decide to quit, it won't be difficult. Using a crutch only gives you an out.

I quit after smoking 20 years, and my wife after nearly 40 years. It was difficult for her until she also realized that nothing works, except the desire to quit.

poetinahat
12-18-2008, 05:57 AM
Amen, Gary.

Drugs don't fix the problem.

Use nicotine gum, patches, hypnosis, carrots, gym memberships, cupcakes, cold turkey, whatever. It only works if you REALLY want to quit.

If you don't, and you add drugs into it, you may just end up with another dependency.

For the record, here's my own scoreboard:
Hypnosis -- FAILED
Gum -- WORKED (I used it for six days, then stopped. Because I was REALLY ready to quit.)
Gym memberships -- FAILED
Cold turkey -- FAILED

poetinahat
12-18-2008, 06:00 AM
Um, I suspect incipient spam. I'll be watching.

Fenika
12-18-2008, 06:05 AM
Orlando Bloom

Mumut
12-18-2008, 06:50 AM
[quote=Gary;3077952]I quit after smoking 20 years, and my wife after nearly 40 years. [Quote]
I quit smoking but I'm still with my wife. lol.

What sort of person are you? Would cold turkey be best or taking it gradually? I was lucky when I decided to quit because I was due to go on a four week patrol into the jungle in Northern New guinea. I didn't take cigarettes with me and there was no way in the world I'd be able to get any. So I stopped.

I've heard that monitoring your smoking is a good idea if the gradual way is your choice. You write down the time and what you were doing when you lit up. At the end of the day you work out which ones would be the easiest to do without. If you go out of the office for a coffee and a smoke in your morning break, stay in the office where you CAN'T smoke and drink fruit juice for a change, so you don't have the trigger for that smoke. In this way you can set up non-smoking habits and soon you'll not miss the cigs.

Eventually you'll be left with a few that are very hard to do without. Here you'll have to use won't power. If you have a good reason to give up it is a help. In my case, Benson and Hedges increased in price from thirty cents a packet to thirty-three cents. I couldn't afford to smoke my sixty-cigs-a-day at that price!

Anyway, best wishes for giving up and send a pm if you want encouragement.

Susie
12-18-2008, 06:55 AM
I quit smoking, too. Cold turkey. I smoked two and a half packs of Marlboro a day for like 20 years. They really didn't have anything to help with stopping smoking in those early pioneer days. :) But ask me to stop chocolate and I'd need a lot of help with that.

William Haskins
12-18-2008, 07:14 AM
every time you finish a cigarette and are feeling that glow, put the butt out on your tongue. over time, your mind makes the connection between smoking and searing, horrific pain.

if this doesn't work, put them out on your forehead in little rows. then you can show people how many times you actually had to do that before you kicked the habit.

Joe270
12-18-2008, 07:20 AM
I'm taking it a step at a time, myself.

I'm not trying to quit smoking.

I have stopped actually catching fire, however.

William Haskins
12-18-2008, 07:35 AM
i'm down to 2 and a half lighters a day.

benbradley
12-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Perhaps the OP doesn't realize there's already been several threads here mentioning one of the registered names in the poll, and it has some very variable reports on it.

Amen, Gary.

Drugs don't fix the problem.

Use nicotine gum,
wait, nicotine IS a drug...

patches, hypnosis, carrots, gym memberships, cupcakes, cold turkey, whatever. It only works if you REALLY want to quit.

If you don't, and you add drugs into it, you may just end up with another dependency.
I think that's a little oversimplified. But that's just my opinion, after having crawled out from under a label (not a Jack Daniels label, but perhaps something resembling it).

For the record, here's my own scoreboard:
Hypnosis -- FAILED
Gum -- WORKED (I used it for six days, then stopped. Because I was REALLY ready to quit.)
Gym memberships -- FAILED
Cold turkey -- FAILED
Jogging worked for me. There weren't these fancy (and apparently with very odd and even dangerous side effects!) drugs back when I quit, though there was the patch and Nicorette gum but I didn't use them.

Um, I suspect incipient spam. I'll be watching.
I'm proud to say I did not have to send spam when I quit smoking.

I'm taking it a step at a time, myself.

I'm not trying to quit smoking.

I have stopped actually catching fire, however.
Speaking of "taking a step at a time," some group way back 20+ years ago, maybe the American Heart Association or the American Lung Association, made the claim that quitting (tobacco) cigarettes is six times as hard as quitting heroin, which is often dealt with in the 12-step program Narcotics Anonymous

And that's why Smokers Anonymous is a 72-step program.

ETA: It looks like our new member (by the way, :welcome:, AllaFlardo!) has already found one of the previous threads I was thinking of, and 'revived' it:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3077664#post3077664

AllaFlardow
12-19-2008, 03:55 AM
Hi, benbradley, I'm Flardow :)
Thanks all for replies, still thinking about quit smoking...
BTW, poetinahat, I'm not "incipient spam" :)

Leah J. Utas
12-19-2008, 04:21 AM
Deep breathing. It'll mimic the inhaling portion of the smoking and will relax you. Put a toothpick in your mouth if part of the reason you smoke is because you are oral.
If you need something to do with your hands, then hold a pencil. Replacements of this nature can work or they can augment whatever else you are doing.
I smoked for ten years. As long as you want to quit you'll have an edge.