What would you do?

samcollie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.swansonwriting.com
I recently queried an editor of a web site who gave me the go-ahead for an article. We agreed on a rate, but I didn't nail down a date they'd use it because in my experience, web sites have always turned articles around fairly promptly. Looking back, I guess I should have pushed for a date.
The editor was very happy with the finished piece, and asked me to write more. I told him I'd write more after payment is received.
Well, months later and they haven't used it (i.e. no payment yet). I've asked the editor when they plan to use it and he says "I don't know, that's up to the publisher." I've followed up with the publisher who doesn't answer. I've gone through that cycle many times.
I'm leery of lesser-known web sites such as this, and wonder if they can't afford to pay.
Any ideas on what I could do next? I won't just drop it, they need to be professional and either uphold their end of the deal, or explain what their delay is.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I would generally let them know that I expect payment by X date or I will retain the rights and sell the article elsewhere. Hasn't failed yet, but I haven't written much content lately, either.

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
I think WildScribe's idea is perfect. Give them 30 days or so, and then retain your rights for the article. They'll then have a deadline to see if they really want to use it -- and if they don't, go sell it somewhere else. :)

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I think WildScribe's idea is perfect. Give them 30 days or so, and then retain your rights for the article. They'll then have a deadline to see if they really want to use it -- and if they don't, go sell it somewhere else. :)

Just felt like highlighting that ;)

matty

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I would certainly just drop it.

I recently queried an editor of a web site who gave me the go-ahead for an article. We agreed on a rate, but I didn't nail down a date they'd use it because in my experience, web sites have always turned articles around fairly promptly. Looking back, I guess I should have pushed for a date.
The editor was very happy with the finished piece, and asked me to write more. I told him I'd write more after payment is received.
Well, months later and they haven't used it (i.e. no payment yet). I've asked the editor when they plan to use it and he says "I don't know, that's up to the publisher." I've followed up with the publisher who doesn't answer. I've gone through that cycle many times.
I'm leery of lesser-known web sites such as this, and wonder if they can't afford to pay.
Any ideas on what I could do next? I won't just drop it, they need to be professional and either uphold their end of the deal, or explain what their delay is.

Otherwise you may be simply busying yourself up trying to educate people on professionality they should already have a grasp on for the rest of what coulda been your writing career instead. ;)

That's a loser response, wouldn't wanna work with them. Why try to build a relationship with a publication that shows you what they're all about in this way from the get go?--Be glad it was early on, I say. :) Keep a book an' blacklist 'em.--Of course, not without emailing them immediately, informing them you're retracting the piece and that they certainly retain no rights to them, having not responded properly.--Still, I'd be professional there even, though.

Last edited:

matty

Registered
Reaction score
If Sam said...

How long has it been since you provided the finished article and they approved it?
...he/she'd gone thru the cycle many times, that speaks to it having been plenty long enough, although you certainly should not go back and cycle thru in frustration that way.

caseyquinn

Just happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shortstory.us.com
Different people, especially new writers, have a tendancy to expect the world to rush, move quicker then it actually does. Hence the question. If this is all within a period of two weeks, well, i would just sit tight. If this has gone on for months, then sure i would set a date and move on.

matty

Registered
Reaction score
True

Different people, especially new writers, have a tendancy to expect the world to rush, move quicker then it actually does. Hence the question. If this is all within a period of two weeks, well, i would just sit tight. If this has gone on for months, then sure i would set a date and move on.
If this's after only a couple weeks, we're already maybe burning bridges. :)

samcollie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.swansonwriting.com
Hi Casey, It's been 8 months now, plenty of time for a web site in my experience. They actually accepted the query about a month prior to that.
Web sites can be funny, some are great, others seem to have nothing behind them.
Thanks for the idea, Wildscribe, I may just pull it.

caseyquinn

Just happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shortstory.us.com
Yup, that is a long time - I would agree with Wildscribe. Set a date for payment. If the date comes and goes and no money... put the article somewhere on the web like on your website so that if they try to publish it, copyscape can let you know and go about trying to sell it somewhere else in the meantime.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, that is a long time - I would agree with Wildscribe. Set a date for payment. If the date comes and goes and no money... put the article somewhere on the web like on your website so that if they try to publish it, copyscape can let you know and go about trying to sell it somewhere else in the meantime.

I would not post it on your website. Do regular searches of their site if you feel the need to check up on them, but some places will not buy an article that you have posted on your own site.