Serious security flaw found in IE

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
I've been using Opera for a couple of years now and like it far better than IE!

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't even know it was still around!

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Wow, I didn't even know it was still around!

The security flaw or IE?

IE has ALWAYS been one huge mess of security flaws. But then it's always been one huge mess of flaws. They don't fix these problems...MS has a history of just hiding them until their found again.

Irritating really.

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
Microsoft says it has detected attacks against IE 7.0 but said the "underlying vulnerability" was present in all versions of the browser.

Other browsers, such as Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Safari, are not vulnerable to the flaw Microsoft has identified.

Said Mr Ferguson: "If users can find an alternative browser, then that's good mitigation against the threat."

But Microsoft counselled against taking such action.

"I cannot recommend people switch due to this one flaw," said John Curran, head of Microsoft UK's Windows group.

He added: "We're trying to get this resolved as soon as possible."

...hm i wonder why?

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I'm shocked - shocked, I tell you - to hear that a Microsoft product has a security flaw!

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
I've also used Firefox and it's a decent browser.
I haven't used the MS email program (can't even remember its name) for years. I'm on Cox and theirs works just fine.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Kevin, waiting to see the PC/MAC commercial for this one.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not going to wave the flag for Microsoft, Bill Gates has enough money to hire people to do that. MS has its share of bugs and is frequently hit by viruses and worms. The reason is not because of the structure of their programs, but because they are the most popular programs on the market.
The low-lifes out there who think it's funny to spread viruses, pick on MS because they can affect more people than by building a virus that would affect Firefox or Opera, or Safari. I imagine that when Google begins to increase in popularity they will get hit with a virus.
The other thing you should think about, is that MS has literally legions of programmers. These programmers immediately go to work to fix the vulnerability that a new virus or worm has uncovered. Do the makers of these other programs have that response capability?

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I use IE at work because they prevent me from using anything else.

I've been using Firefox for near 6 years now - I don't even keep up with the newest features, but it's still a million times better than IE.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not going to wave the flag for Microsoft, Bill Gates has enough money to hire people to do that. MS has its share of bugs and is frequently hit by viruses and worms. The reason is not because of the structure of their programs, but because they are the most popular programs on the market.

That's only one reason. Ultimately, the structure of MS's programs isn't great either.

The low-lifes out there who think it's funny to spread viruses, pick on MS because they can affect more people than by building a virus that would affect Firefox or Opera, or Safari. I imagine that when Google begins to increase in popularity they will get hit with a virus.

People don't make viruses to affect web browsers--they make them to affect operating systems. If you're on Windows, you can get the same virus through IE, Firefox, Opera, or Safari. A web browser generally isn't going to protect you from viruses so much as it's going to try to protect you from trojans, hacking, and phishing.

Google has no operating system (other than Android...but that's a phone OS) to hit with a virus.

The other thing you should think about, is that MS has literally legions of programmers. These programmers immediately go to work to fix the vulnerability that a new virus or worm has uncovered. Do the makers of these other programs have that response capability?

Well, Gecko (Firefox) and Webkit (Safari/Google Chrome) are both open-source projects. That means every programmer in the world can potentially fix whatever vulnerability has been found. So, these other programmers have millions more programmers to respond. Webkit and Gecko are both updated nightly (these nightly builds aren't incorporated in the major public releases as quickly, but are available to them) so they any vulnerability can potentially be fix in less than 24 hours.