PDA

View Full Version : Blatant Sexism?

Don
12-17-2008, 02:13 PM
I've noticed that in several threads here, men are regularly beaten, zapped with tasers, even fed to bugzappers.

Recently, another thread had some of the most objectified language I'd ever heard, as if those being spoken of were simply pieces of meat... and it was men being spoken of.

Now, I realize this is all in good fun and all, but still, if the shoe were on the other foot, would it still be considered fun and games?

I'm not condemning any of this, as a matter of fact I'm often a willing participant. However, you may consider me,

Genuinely curious.

Your thoughts, please.

Mandy-Jane
12-17-2008, 02:23 PM
Isn't that what men are for?

Seriously, I would hope that if any woman was regularly speaking about men in those terms, she would readily accept the same comments to be made about her and her sex.

After all, if you can't take it, don't dish it out.

thethinker42
12-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Seriously, I would hope that if any woman was regularly speaking about men in those terms, she would readily accept the same comments to be made about her and her sex.

After all, if you can't take it, don't dish it out.

I dish it out, and have no problem taking it, particularly if it's meant in fun. The only time I raise an eyebrow at that kind of language is if I think someone actually BELIEVES it.

Mandy-Jane
12-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Exactly my point.

2old2pb
12-17-2008, 03:00 PM
In the end we are just meat and no mater how civilized we think we are there will be a zoo keeper and a tiger that will prove that we are just meat.

No offense to any AW residents that are either tigers or zoo keepers, lol.

I've noticed that in several threads here, men are regularly beaten, zapped with tasers, even fed to bugzappers.

Recently, another thread had some of the most objectified language I'd ever heard, as if those being spoken of were simply pieces of meat... and it was men being spoken of.

Now, I realize this is all in good fun and all, but still, if the shoe were on the other foot, would it still be considered fun and games?

I'm not condemning any of this, as a matter of fact I'm often a willing participant. However, you may consider me,

Genuinely curious.

Your thoughts, please.

scarletpeaches
12-17-2008, 03:19 PM

Genuinely curious.

Your thoughts, please.

If you're talking about the thread I think you're talking about, you'll note women are also 'objectified' there.

Far better to say you find someone attractive than to hold them up as examples of fugliness I say.

thethinker42
12-17-2008, 03:21 PM
If you're talking about the thread I think you're talking about, you'll note women are also 'objectified' there.

Good point. There were PLENTY of women to drool over in that thread.

scarletpeaches
12-17-2008, 03:22 PM
I wonder if the problem is that it was women doing the objectifying?

thethinker42
12-17-2008, 03:24 PM

I could've sworn there were some men in there doing some objectifying...

Don
12-17-2008, 03:37 PM

Far better to say you find someone attractive than to hold them up as examples of fugliness I say.

Good point. There were PLENTY of women to drool over in that thread.

Ahem... from the OP:

I'm not condemning any of this, as a matter of fact I'm often a willing participant.

:roll: I also never said there was a problem. I simply asked how 'tit for tat,' so to speak, would go over. I'm getting a pretty good answer to that question, as well. :)

Please don't confuse curiosity with condemnation.

thethinker42
12-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Ahem... from the OP:
:roll: I also never said there was a problem. I simply asked how 'tit for tat,' so to speak, would go over. I'm getting a pretty good answer to that question, as well. :)

Please don't confuse curiosity with condemnation.

Duly noted. :D Just giving my opinion on the subject.

Tit for tat...touche', my friend...

scarletpeaches
12-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Heh. Don said 'tit'. :roll:

Okay, serious answer.

It's known around AW that I recently met with a sleaze who...well, he basically asked if I was gay and threatened to rape the lesbian out of me. Sure, he made it clear he found me sexually attractive - oh, I'm honoured. :rolleyes: There was a line, he crossed it.

But...months and months back dclary started a thread about an avatar I occasionally use and how much he...ahem...appreciated it. A complete surprise to me, but was I offended? No. I was flattered. And we have a jokey relationship, full of banter and sexual innuendo but it doesn't make either of us uncomfortable, so we're cool.

I think the difference is if it makes one party uncomfortable, then it has to stop. If Jared Leto ever joined AW and said, "Man. You girls treat me like a piece of meat and I feel so objectified," I'd get down on my knees and...

...beg forgiveness. :D

I've never ben insulted when someone has complimented me, either politely or in an overtly sexual way - as long as they're not sleazy. That's the key. If it's lighthearted from either gender, then cool. It's when it crosses the line into "I'm serious. You've got no choice in what I do to you," that it needs to stop.

I shall now go back to being my normal stoopid self. :D

Don
12-17-2008, 03:47 PM
Tit for tat...touche', my friend...
Speaking of which, you and SP need to dig through the avatar bin again. :D

scarletpeaches
12-17-2008, 03:49 PM
My avatar is my new girlfriend.

(Man, that'll look so weird when I change it to another one of myself...)

thethinker42
12-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Speaking of which, you and SP need to dig through the avatar bin again. :D

Are you ripping on 30 Seconds to Mars? 'cause if you are, them's fightin' words.

thethinker42
12-17-2008, 03:57 PM
My avatar is my new girlfriend.

(Man, that'll look so weird when I change it to another one of myself...)

Your...new girlfriend?

*sniffles*

Ok. Ok. I can take a hint.

*shuffles away*

scarletpeaches
12-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Well I googled "Lori Witt" and that's what the intarchoobs threw up...

*pulls on running shoes*

Captshady
12-17-2008, 06:38 PM

I'm sorry, did you say something? I was too busy staring down your blouse. ;)

scarletpeaches
12-17-2008, 06:40 PM

Get in that kitchen and fetch me a beer, Sugartits.

cray
12-17-2008, 06:43 PM

<--------------- objectify this!

Captshady
12-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Get in that kitchen and fetch me a beer, Sugartits.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cray ... I am so stealing that avatar!

scarletpeaches
12-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Hey! How come you get an animated avatar and I don't? :rant:

cray
12-17-2008, 06:46 PM
i would like to not have that avatar.
believe me.

Clair Dickson
12-17-2008, 06:48 PM
I do think there tends to be double-standards all along the way-- I don't mind some amusing sexual banter (my favorite kind of banter,) but it's interesting the assumptions and conclusions people jump to from the threads and posts.

There are quite a few things that men can't say about women, but women can say about men-- particularly negative things. Look at the stereotypes used in many sitcoms and commercials these days with the doofus husband and the sexy wife. A woman can say "nice ass" but a man says the same about a woman and gets smacked for it. It's interesting, and I think wrong.

I think that joking around is fine, so long as *all* parties are okay with it. For example, I give Hubby immense amounts of grief-- I'm always teasing him-- but he rarely teases me back. He's more than okay with it since he knows I'm just joking, and he doesn't like to say un-nice things. (How he ended up with me is one of the mysteries of the universe.)

The only problem that I see that may come up is that jokey comments (esp. jokey generalizations) can come off wrong to someone not in on the joke. Like a thread where someone joked "men will nail anything" and someone may have gotten a little offended-- there wasn't much context and the responding poster may not have realized that it was meant as a joke. Context is key.

JoeEkaitis
12-17-2008, 06:53 PM
Writer's Market lists a few publishers who won't accept submissions by men. Writer's Market will not list publishers who won't accept submissions by women.

Some school districts consider a T-shirt with the words "BOYZ RULE" as inappropriate and sexist (never mind the spelling) but good li'l future feminists can wear their "Girls Rule, Boys Drool" apparel to school.

Just sayin'.

Williebee
12-17-2008, 06:55 PM
There are quite a few things that men can't say about women, but women can say about men-- particularly negative things. Look at the stereotypes used in many sitcoms and commercials these days with the doofus husband and the sexy wife.

We've talked about this here before, I think. In a world run over by political correctness the media seems to have decided that the only safe target is males, and to a smaller degree, for some humor, white males. Although not all media. Some of them decided it would be safer to create someone to make fun of, so they dug up cavemen.

:)

scarletpeaches
12-17-2008, 06:59 PM
I was the one who said men will nail anything.

I assumed people would do the usual 'read what SP says and completely ignore it' bit. :D

Shadow_Ferret
12-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Hey, what threads are you talking about, Don?

Those sound like fun!

scarletpeaches
12-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Sexist pig ferret.

Shadow_Ferret
12-17-2008, 07:08 PM
*reads what SP says and completely ignores it*

Don
12-17-2008, 07:21 PM
Hey, what threads are you talking about, Don?

Those sound like fun!
Ya know, pretending you don't know which threads won't fool anybody who's already seen you in those threads. :D

Captshady
12-17-2008, 07:40 PM
I was the one who said men will nail anything.

I assumed people would do the usual 'read what SP says and completely ignore it' bit. :D

Funny, my pants get tight every time I read what you wrote.

rhymegirl
12-17-2008, 07:48 PM
Don, you're such a stud muffin.

Mela
12-17-2008, 08:40 PM
I'm sorry. I'm still stuck on the image of men "fed to bug zappers."
Exactly how would that work?
Of course, feel free to feed women to bug zappers as well.

maestrowork
12-17-2008, 09:04 PM
I have only one thing to say: Stop objectifying my chocolate pants, already.

scarletpeaches
12-17-2008, 09:06 PM

Screw you, buddy. How would you like it if I objectified you and treated you as my sexual plaything?

Don't answer that.

Yeshanu
12-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Heh. Don said 'tit'. :roll:

Great minds think alike... :tongue

I think the difference is if it makes one party uncomfortable, then it has to stop. If Jared Leto ever joined AW and said, "Man. You girls treat me like a piece of meat and I feel so objectified," I'd get down on my knees and...

...beg forgiveness. :D

Oh, yeah! How, I wonder...

Or maybe I already know the answer to that. ;)

On a more serious note:

Writer's Market lists a few publishers who won't accept submissions by men. Writer's Market will not list publishers who won't accept submissions by women.

Some school districts consider a T-shirt with the words "BOYZ RULE" as inappropriate and sexist (never mind the spelling) but good li'l future feminists can wear their "Girls Rule, Boys Drool" apparel to school.

The first is an example of so-called "affirmative action," where publishers (mostly small pubs, run by women) are trying to equalize the playing field for women. Either that, or they don't believe a man can write from a woman's perspective. I think it's false logic--they should forget about who wrote the piece and simply decide based on the words written if it's right for them. Personally, I think we should all start submitting with only initials and last names, like J.K. Rowling, so that editors can only (maybe) tell the difference by our writing.

As for the second example, I find most of those kind of t-shirts (along with ones that proclaim the wearer to be a little snotty brat) to be offensive to begin with. If your school district has such double standards, I'd be inclined to challenge them.

Medievalist
12-18-2008, 12:53 AM

Your thoughts, please.

No, it's not OK. I do try to call attention to it, but mostly, it's as if it's invisible.

People don't see it as offensive. I've got Reps from people calling me PC and "thin skinned," for objecting.

Medievalist
12-18-2008, 12:58 AM

Just sayin'.

Yeah, no, see that won't work.

I hate that. I also don't buy the "[disenfranchised group] can't be [racist/sexist/etc] because they're disenfranchised.

We can do better. We're supposed to have above the level of feces-flinging primates.

Captshady
12-18-2008, 01:00 AM
Screw you, buddy. How would you like it if I objectified you and treated you as my sexual plaything?

Don't answer that.

Rep whore! :tongue

Ken
12-18-2008, 01:12 AM
...if one objects to a thread the best thing to do is not to click on it. Putting people on ignore is an option, too. I've got ten members on mine, at present, not for any personal reasons but because I find these person's post generally disagreeable and stomach churning at times.

I'm not knocking them for their style of posting and believe they have every right to post as they see fit, especially as many enjoy their over-the-top remarks. But for me, I'll take a pass, and am glad to be able to tune them out. I'm here to improve my writing, afterall, not my banter.

scarletpeaches
12-18-2008, 01:14 AM
I don't have anyone on ignore, owing to the fact that I'm able to choose for myself to skim or read in detail. Besides, if I saw a flagged post I'd be too curious about what the person said anyway. Meh. If someone pisses me off that much I just ignore them in the sense of not replying to them or thinking about them all that much. I guess I'm just not sensitive or precious enough to take offence at remarks made by people I (mostly) don't even know in real life.

Shadow_Ferret
12-18-2008, 01:15 AM
...Putting people on ignore is an option, too. I've got ten members on mine, at present, not for any personal reasons but because I find these person's post generally disagreeable and stomach churning at times.

Ten? Wow, that's a lot. What sort of thing does it take to...

*realizes Ken can't hear him*

Ken
12-18-2008, 01:19 AM
..would be very hard to put you on ignore and miss the sight of the cute ferret avatar ;-)

ps I put people on ignore for atypical reasons too:

e.g. one who continually harps on tragedy,
and another who posts mechanically.

maestrowork
12-18-2008, 01:33 AM
and another who posts mechanically.

Thanks a lot. Oh, you can't hear me either.

Shadow_Ferret
12-18-2008, 02:26 AM
e.g. one who continually harps on tragedy,

I stubbed my toe today...

maestrowork
12-18-2008, 02:28 AM
I stubbed my toe today...

I shtupped you.

Shadow_Ferret
12-18-2008, 02:29 AM
I shtupped you.
You took your mood ring back, all over some tramp who was at your door. :(

scarletpeaches
12-18-2008, 02:30 AM
I hope he paid you.

maestrowork
12-18-2008, 02:31 AM
Bite your ferret tongue. Elizabeth Banks is no tramp. She's good enough to be Laura Bush.

scarletpeaches
12-18-2008, 02:32 AM
Heh.

Ray said 'bush'.

NeuroFizz
12-18-2008, 02:32 AM
Do you keep the Charmin handy?

scarletpeaches
12-18-2008, 02:33 AM
Do you keep the Charmin handy?

I hope you're not suggesting I make men shit their pants, Fizzy.

'Cause if so, I want all my rep points back.

Shadow_Ferret
12-18-2008, 02:34 AM
Bite your ferret tongue. Elizabeth Banks is no tramp. She's good enough to be Laura Bush.
Her husband was running for President?

Medievalist
12-18-2008, 02:59 AM
I've got ten members on mine, at present, not for any personal reasons but because I find these person's post generally disagreeable and stomach churning at times.

We all have different sets of triggers, and degrees of emotional "armor," if you will.

But.

If you really do find a post particularly upsetting, do at least contemplate calling a Mod's attention to the post--either in PM or Report a Post.

Because for every one person who speaks up, there are probably ten others who don't. And there's a point where if it does upset a fair number of otherwise reasonable folk, it's worth having the mods take a look.

Ken
12-18-2008, 03:12 AM
I only sorta reported a member to a mod one time since being here, really w/o thinking about what I was doing. Jenna offered to remove any rep points, 6 months or so back, that members wanted to get rid of for whatever reason. So I took her up on the offer, which as I later realized was the equivalent of reporting someone as the rep in question wasn't exactly flattering.

I felt badly afterwards for doing so. To me, informing on someone even if they've posted something horrible just seems wrong to me. If someone says something you find offensive in any way you've got two options in my book: either confront the person, directly, or just brush the remark aside. Telling on them just isn't an option in my book. Maybe I'm wrong with this. I have lots of ideals which are very much out of sync with practicality and ordinary goings on, as you've probably gleaned by now ;-)

bsolah
12-18-2008, 03:19 AM
On the original issue, I think there is a justified difference between make 'sexist' jokes to a man, and making sexist jokes to a woman.

There is a general inequality between the sexes that still exists, it's engrained in the way society works. Sure we have come along way and women are now formally considered equal, but there's still this ideological sexism that still exists.

So making sexist jokes toward women, even if it is just in fun, is supporting this general trend, where as the same to men is kind of giving it back and going against the trend. I honestly am not offended when this kind of jokes are made toward me or other men, but try to avoid doing it the other way and will often have a go if someone else does it in any blatant way.

Just my two cents, don't really expect people to agree with me though.

Jcomp
12-18-2008, 03:30 AM
I think it all depends on who gets offended by what. Some dudes rather enjoy being objectified and treated like meat. At least every once in a while...

maestrowork
12-18-2008, 03:32 AM
Jcomp is like salami.

There, I've said it. And I know he loves it.

Clair Dickson
12-18-2008, 04:41 AM
I think it all depends on who gets offended by what. Some dudes rather enjoy being objectified and treated like meat. At least every once in a while...

This is one of those times where the "Golden Rule" can fail. Most men I know would looooove to be hooted and whistled at, complimented on their private or other body parts, and other such things in public. Preferrably in public.

While most women don't appreciate it. (Some, as others have mentioned, even go so far as to equate compliments on sexiness with perversion.)

If men were to apply the Golden Rule-- and do unto women as they would like women doing unto them, yeah, you get some problems.

Now, I gotta wonder, is this mainly because the average man doesn't get much female attention, particular regarding looks? One of my male friends often jokes that he doesn't know why women even like looking at men... he says men aren't usually much to look at. Especially compared to most women..

Or is this difference more because women have such a fear that an interested man can too easily because a stalker/rapist/etc? So many women are unable (from conditioning, fear or other things) to stand up and tell a man who crosses the line to go away... and sadly, some men just take it as a challenge.

Hmmm... wonder why men want what women often don't? (At least as far as public appreciation of hotness.) (Note, I'm trying to be general in all ways here-- no statement about preferences can ever apply to all people.)

thethinker42
12-18-2008, 04:48 AM

Blouse? What blouse?

Shit...I knew I forgot something when I left the house this morning...

thethinker42
12-18-2008, 04:51 AM

My husband's favorite line is "Oh baby, objectify me."

Birds of a feather, what can I say?

Joe270
12-18-2008, 05:08 AM
I have regularly posted in those threads (and so has the furry ferret one, no matter how much he protests his innocence) and it's just banter back and forth.

The threads have been around for a year or longer, and the regulars certainly take shortcuts and make comments which might shock newcomers to the threads. Just think of Haskins dropping the 'f-you, pal' bomb onto Rob. For those of us who have been here for a while, and most folks who have been around for just a few months would just laugh their asses off at the jab. Newcomers won't know that Rob and Haskins regularly offend one another, and that it is intended to be humorous, not offensive.

As far as the suggestive threads, I would recommend that people try to at least skim the thread some before getting all worked up about the content.

Mostly it's all character stuff, where people's avatars are treated like they represent the real person. It's all an act, but it's fun to lose yourself in a different identity sometimes. It's all a virtual thing, like Susie's hugs. We aren't having orgies. We aren't having sex. We aren't even discussing sex, we're just tossing about innuendos and, for the most part, trying to be funny doing so.

The cattle prod got started because some folks are just too sexy for their own good.

scarletpeaches
12-18-2008, 05:10 AM
...some folks are just too sexy for their own good.

Sorry about that.

Kitrianna
12-18-2008, 05:15 AM
Since we're doing sexual innuendo here...I have a riddle for y`all.

What gets long when you pull on it, fits between breasts and goes in a hole?

Joe270
12-18-2008, 05:16 AM
Scarlett, I really love your peaches and I wanna shake your tree, but you were one of many I was thinking of. (Thinkin' of the Thinker!)

There are lots of them about. I'd rather they post for themselves, like you have. You ain't shy, that's for sure, and I don't suspect they are, either. This should be a very lively thread if more show up.

Joe270
12-18-2008, 05:17 AM
What gets long when you pull on it, fits between breasts and goes in a hole?

I know, I know! A ****!

Kitrianna
12-18-2008, 05:19 AM
A seatbelt, you perv! That's what innuendo can get ya :tongue

bsolah
12-18-2008, 05:23 AM
Or is this difference more because women have such a fear that an interested man can too easily because a stalker/rapist/etc? So many women are unable (from conditioning, fear or other things) to stand up and tell a man who crosses the line to go away... and sadly, some men just take it as a challenge.

I think it has something to do with the emphasis society places on women's looks, as opposed to whether or not they're smart and interesting.

Think of female politicians, they seem to get far more commentary on their wardrobe than on their policies.

rhymegirl
12-18-2008, 05:29 AM
Joe, your stinger is looking very festive.

thethinker42
12-18-2008, 05:30 AM
Scarlett, I really love your peaches and I wanna shake your tree, but you were one of many I was thinking of. (Thinkin' of the Thinker!)

Did you...

Did...

Have I just been objectified???

HOORAY! I'VE BEEN OBJECTIFIED! :D

Joe270
12-18-2008, 05:53 AM
HOORAY! I'VE BEEN OBJECTIFIED!

Put a shirt on, for cryin' out loud.

Joe, your stinger is looking very festive.

Dawno did it. Again.

It makes it really difficult to have any post taken seriously in P&CE. Not that anyone ever took me seriously without the sparkly mistletoe, mind you.

It's sorta sexsaaay, for a scorpion at least.

thethinker42
12-18-2008, 06:42 AM
Put a shirt on, for cryin' out loud.

I DID!

Oh wait...

S'pose I should button the damn thing...

maestrowork
12-18-2008, 06:51 AM
Now, I gotta wonder, is this mainly because the average man doesn't get much female attention, particular regarding looks? One of my male friends often jokes that he doesn't know why women even like looking at men... he says men aren't usually much to look at. Especially compared to most women..

This is by no means a definitive answer but I think part of it has to do with the sexual expectations and dynamics in our culture. The men are usually the aggressors -- the one making the moves. When a man objectifies a woman, etc. it could be a sign of aggressive behaviors and that may threaten the woman, who is reduced to something being used by men for pleasure or procreation.

Meanwhile, men is more hardwired to sex and it's also more socially acceptable for men to "sow their seeds" -- thus being openly desired by women is seen as a strength -- like a peacock fanning his tail, it's a sign of supremacy. It boost the man's ego to be seen as the "super hot jock with a nice package" -- blah, blah... that would mean he's going to get laid more than his fellow buddies. What's wrong with that?

Now, if the dynamic is changed slightly -- let's say, the men are objectified by other MEN, then we'd witness something very interesting. Suddenly, the men being objectified feel threatened, uncomfortable, and bothered, much like women do when objectified by men. Most guys I know, with a few exceptions, feel really uneasy when hit on by gay men.

Whereas, when a woman talks about another woman being "hot" or "sexy" -- there's less of that kind of threat. Perhaps they see it as just mutual admiration -- so what? Or maybe they just don't see other women, who find them sexually attractive, as threatening.

maestrowork
12-18-2008, 06:53 AM
Mostly it's all character stuff, where people's avatars are treated like they represent the real person. It's all an act, but it's fun to lose yourself in a different identity sometimes.

My avatar is nothing like the real me.

I'm much hotter in person.

Kitrianna
12-18-2008, 06:57 AM
Whereas, when a woman talks about another woman being "hot" or "sexy" -- there's less of that kind of threat. Perhaps they see it as just mutual admiration -- so what? Or maybe they just don't see other women, who find them sexually attractive, as threatening.

Speaking from experience that depends on how pushy and how far the other woman is and is willing to go.

Joe270
12-18-2008, 07:27 AM
My avatar is nothing like the real me.

You started all this, anyway, with the hottub parties and chocolate pants.

Normally I would suggest we blame Dawno for everything, but, in this case, I say: "Blame Ray, he sexed the place up."

Watch that cattleprod, it stings. . .

maestrowork
12-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Correction: hot tub and chocolate pants are not sexy. It's just a big frigging mess if you ask me.

Joe270
12-18-2008, 10:49 AM
hot tub and chocolate pants are not sexy

Can you say Yoo-hoo?

2old2pb
12-18-2008, 03:15 PM
This thread just proves a fast moving target is indeed hard to snipe.

Captshady
12-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Normally I would suggest we blame Dawno for everything, but, in this case, I say: "Blame Ray, he sexed the place up."

Yeah, that dude must get some serious play.

maestrowork
12-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Yeah, that dude must get some serious play.

Are you objectifying me? /* punches him in the face */

scarletpeaches
12-18-2008, 08:29 PM
Bitchfight!

Captshady
12-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Are you objectifying me? /* punches him in the face */

This conversation is about you, not to you. I object to your objection of my objectifying you.

Captshady
12-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Bitchfight!

If that were true, it wouldn't have been a punch, he'd have either scratched me, or torn my shirt open.

scarletpeaches
12-18-2008, 08:34 PM
If that were true, it wouldn't have been a punch, he'd have either scratched me, or torn my shirt open.

I'd pay good money to see that.

Well, I would, if you promised not to feel objectified.

NeuroFizz
12-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Wow, the memory around here is short. Not too long ago, there was a thread here in OP titled something like "Guys: Don't be afraid to flirt." There were a few comments from AW women suggesting that men couldn't give compliments to women without it being a flirt (or a desire for more). One even said something about how men never notice things, so if they compliment women on their hair or their dresses, the men are seeing way more than the hair or the dresses. The implication was that men are unable to control their sexual urges and they'll hump anything female. This makes Don's original question a valid one, in my mind.

Shadow_Ferret
12-18-2008, 09:08 PM
You mean when I just told my coworker her hair looked nice today I really just wanted to get in her pants?

maestrowork
12-18-2008, 09:10 PM
You mean when I just told my coworker her hair looked nice today I really just wanted to get in her pants?

Smut.

Shadow_Ferret
12-18-2008, 09:20 PM
Smut.
I think you misspelled that. You meant to call me a slut, right?

Salem
12-18-2008, 09:28 PM
You told her her hair looked nice? You sick pervert!! *slap*

Don
12-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Is it sexist to say that this thread has a lot longer legs than I expected? :D

maestrowork
12-18-2008, 09:35 PM

I'm behind you.

maestrowork
12-18-2008, 09:36 PM
I think you misspelled that. You meant to call me a slut, right?

That goes without saying. And no, you're not getting the mood ring back.

Shadow_Ferret
12-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Drat! :(

bsolah
12-20-2008, 08:52 AM
This is by no means a definitive answer but I think part of it has to do with the sexual expectations and dynamics in our culture....

Really agree with this post Ray. I think you were saying some similar to what I was getting at, but you did it in a more concrete whereas my explanation was quite abstact. (As well as the fact I think most people look at my post and just think it's a crazy socialist ranting again.)

But I think a degree of flirting and joking in comfortable company can be ok. Some people can just be over the top sometimes.

Captshady
12-20-2008, 08:55 AM
But I think a degree of flirting and joking in comfortable company can be ok. Some people can just be over the top sometimes.

Flirting: Lookit you girrrrl, with your cleavage all out like that! Tssss!

Over the top: HOLY COW LOOKIT THEM TITS!

BenPanced
12-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Legs so long, they should have emergency exits...

Joe270
12-20-2008, 11:44 AM
The implication was that men are unable to control their sexual urges and they'll hump anything female.

I strongly object to this, N.Fizz, because it's just not true.

Female has nothing to do with it; human has nothing to do with it (the sheep are bolting for the hills as we speak); mammals have nothing to do with it (somewhere I hear a chicken squawk); even plants (somewhere there's a watermelon about to get lucky) or even apple pies (thank you, American Pie); men will hump anything.

I read somewhere about a guy who got severely injured because he tried, well he did, hump a conveyor belt, to no good result.

Hey, it wasn't me, I was in Seattle at the time. I swear.

thethinker42
12-20-2008, 01:52 PM
even plants (somewhere there's a watermelon about to get lucky)

:Ssh::Ssh::Ssh::Ssh:

*trying really hard not to insert a Sledge-O-Matic joke here...*

:Ssh::Ssh::Ssh::Ssh:

Yeshanu
12-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Wow, the memory around here is short. Not too long ago, there was a thread here in OP titled something like "Guys: Don't be afraid to flirt." There were a few comments from AW women suggesting that men couldn't give compliments to women without it being a flirt (or a desire for more). One even said something about how men never notice things, so if they compliment women on their hair or their dresses, the men are seeing way more than the hair or the dresses. The implication was that men are unable to control their sexual urges and they'll hump anything female. This makes Don's original question a valid one, in my mind.

Warning: Serious answer here...

When I think about some of the laws that more conservative cultures have about having women cover themselves completely (and it isn't just conservative Muslims, folks, because you'll find conservative Christians who espouse similar beliefs), the reason always given is that if women don't cover themselves, men won't be able to control their sexual urges. The woman is tempting the man. But note that it's not the women who made those laws, or thought out the reasoning behind them.

I personally think that a woman (or a man, or a sheep for that matter) ought to be able to walk down the street butt naked without other people losing control. And I do believe that normal, well-socialized human beings, whether male or female, can control their sexual urges and converse properly with others in a civilized manner, and can even flirt with another without losing control.

There are guys (and gals, too) as Joe has said, who will hump anything. They don't fall into my category of "normal, well-socialized human beings." To put it bluntly, they're sick. And they're certainly not in the majority, or anywhere near it.

I'm 48 years old, a mother of three grown children, and a lesbian. And I don't take offense if a guy (or gal) flirts with me, so long as they're not pushy or creepy about it. I find it kind of flattering, in fact, to think that at my age I might still have "that something" that attracts other people.
;)

[/serious]

Back to humping watermelons...

maestrowork
12-20-2008, 08:58 PM
I personally think that a woman (or a man, or a sheep for that matter) ought to be able to walk down the street butt naked without other people losing control. And I do believe that normal, well-socialized human beings, whether male or female, can control their sexual urges and converse properly with others in a civilized manner, and can even flirt with another without losing control.

Nudity colony/camp/beach for example. These people -- young, old, male, female, children -- can actually socialize and control their sexual impulses (if any) in an environment where everyone is naked. Some may even flirt with another, but they're not going to go to the bushes and hump like rabbits. They understand what nudism is about.

Ironically, it's those people who see everything as "sexual" who have a problem with nudism, and who think it's perverted, weird, unnatural (isn't it funny? Being naked is "unnatural"?), sexual, predatory, etc.

Medievalist
12-21-2008, 02:10 AM

I completely agree. Not a fan of double standards.

Medievalist
12-21-2008, 02:16 AM
I only sorta reported a member to a mod one time since being here, really w/o thinking about what I was doing. Jenna offered to remove any rep points, 6 months or so back, that members wanted to get rid of for whatever reason. So I took her up on the offer, which as I later realized was the equivalent of reporting someone as the rep in question wasn't exactly flattering.

Nah, it's not ratting. Here's the thing. It's a huge site, with lots of new posts every day.

The Mods are fabulous, but they're unpaid volunteers and they have lives to live too.

So if the members help by reporting a post -- and when you click that icon, you get a chance to write a brief note -- it reallly helps if you say something about why you think it's a problem.

The Admins and Supers all get a special PM with a link and the note you write. They may see right away that the post is a problem, and take care of it. They may decide to confer with each other a bit.

They don't contact the person who wrote the post and say "X reported your post."

And members have spotted things, not just spam, but things like death threats or other things that were just really really malicious and mean.

So do let mods know if you think something is a problem.

scarletpeaches
12-21-2008, 02:18 AM
Death threats? :Jaw:

Cranky
12-21-2008, 02:19 AM

That's what I said. Complete with an expletive and everything. The mind boggles!

maestrowork
12-21-2008, 02:21 AM

That's what I said. Complete with an expletive and everything. The mind boggles!

I guess you both missed my PMs. Should I send them again? ;)

scarletpeaches
12-21-2008, 02:22 AM
I guess you both missed my PMs. Should I send them again? ;)

Does that make you a...

...wait for it...

...death Ray?

Sorry.

Cranky
12-21-2008, 02:23 AM
:ROFL: :roll:

Don
12-21-2008, 02:25 AM
SP, please report to the executioner's office. Slaughtering the english language like that deserves retribution. :D

maestrowork
12-21-2008, 02:27 AM
I think I have a new User title....

Medievalist
12-21-2008, 02:30 AM

Yep.

There are a lot of people here.

scarletpeaches
12-21-2008, 02:31 AM
I think I have a new User title....

:D

Cranky
12-21-2008, 02:33 AM
Yep.

There are a lot of people here.

Still...it never ceases to amaze me what people will say under cover of anonymity. Which ties neatly back to the OP. You see what I did there? :D

Seriously, though, people say all manner of sexist garbage (to both genders) that they wouldn't dream of voicing in real life.

Shadow_Ferret
12-21-2008, 03:40 AM
Aw. I feel left out.

Although when I wrote an opinion column in college some guy actually challenged me to a duel.

Mr Flibble
12-21-2008, 03:43 AM
And I don't take offense if a guy (or gal) flirts with me, so long as they're not pushy or creepy about it. I find it kind of flattering, in fact, to think that at my age I might still have "that something" that attracts other people.

I have to agree with this. A little flirting can be the grease on the squeaky wheel of life. I flirt with any male that is over eighteen and still breathing. It's fun, it's flattering to the recipient, and it can really brighten your day.

That said, it is easy to go overboard ( especially when just communicating via text, when tone is not always immediately apparent)and I try to make very sure that the recipient is up to taking it before I go too far! I would be mortified if anyone thought I was 'objectifying them'

Apart from SPMiller, cos he is my object. :D

Fenika
12-21-2008, 03:50 AM
*Ahem* I thought we agreed... nvm, I'm taking this derail to the bar.

As you were folks

Mr Flibble
12-21-2008, 03:51 AM
Mine!

Oh alright - you can have him every other day. But I guarantee he'll be fit for nothing. I break men like other people break eggs.

SPMiller
12-21-2008, 05:16 AM
I would be mortified if anyone thought I was 'objectifying them'

Apart from SPMiller, cos he is my object. :D

*Ahem* I thought we agreed...

Mine!Ladies, ladies. There's enough of me to go around.

scarletpeaches
12-21-2008, 06:31 AM
Aw. I feel left out.

Although when I wrote an opinion column in college some guy actually challenged me to a duel.

Did he 'call you out' and say "Have at thee, varlet!" and slap you round the chops with his gauntlet?

robeiae
12-21-2008, 06:41 AM
Or maybe he mocked the ferret's codpiece...

Cassiopeia
12-21-2008, 07:01 AM
Hi Don,

I just wanted to say that in the House of Recovery, we have equal opportunity zappings. :D

Serenity
12-21-2008, 08:28 AM
Aw. I feel left out.

We can't have that my furry little friend. I'll offer to kill you if it'll make you feel better? :D

Just in case: KIDDING! Hey, ya never know...

Serenity
12-21-2008, 08:38 AM
I guess a serious participation post should go here as well. There are some things that, when said to me, make my blood boil-- whether or not they're said in jest. Now most of the time, especially here, I'll just ignore it and the thread. If it's said to my face, however, that's a different story.

I like flirting. I like being flirted *with*. It's fun, it's flattering, and I know when enough is enough and I also know when to tell someone that for me, they've gone too far. Everyone is different in their level of tolerance. I may blush furiously, but I can give as much as I take. Sometimes the 'shock' value of it goes too far and crosses the line into offense. As several people have said, it's hard to convey tone when communicating only in writing. There's no body language to take cues from, no tone to convey emotion, no expressions to see when that line is crossed.

maestrowork
12-21-2008, 11:31 AM
I said I was sorry, Melissa.

Don
12-21-2008, 03:07 PM
Hi Don,

I just wanted to say that in the House of Recovery, we have equal opportunity zappings. :D
Is that a warning or an invitation? :e2brows:

Serenity
12-21-2008, 08:44 PM
I said I was sorry, Melissa.

Okay. Apology accepted. So, back to time out? :e2brows:

Don
12-22-2008, 02:46 AM
Just to sum this up.

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/41346/2362287290100527759S425x425Q85.jpg

Serenity
12-22-2008, 04:02 AM
Just to sum this up.

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/41346/2362287290100527759S425x425Q85.jpg

hehe... I'd say that's a pretty succinct way of summing up the previous 6 pages.

bsolah
12-22-2008, 05:19 AM
Bah, I hate work computers. I can't see the image...

Alan Yee
12-22-2008, 05:47 AM

Wow. I thought it was only school computers that did that...

bsolah
12-22-2008, 06:37 AM
Well the image comes from webshots and webshots is blocked at work, like other photo sites such as photobucket etc.

Silver King
12-22-2008, 07:02 AM
But shouldn't you be working at the moment instead of goofing around on AW? :D

maestrowork
12-22-2008, 07:04 AM
It's just a picture of some ferret asking who gave whom the cooties.

bsolah
12-22-2008, 07:05 AM
Aww, it sounds random and cute. That would be a perfect distraction from work, which is probably why they blocked it - and lolcats and facebook and blogs...

maestrowork
12-22-2008, 07:20 AM
Aww, it sounds random and cute. That would be a perfect distraction from work, which is probably why they blocked it - and lolcats and facebook and blogs...

Where do you work? Obama's office?

bsolah
12-22-2008, 07:23 AM
lol, some random charity in Melbourne. Everything's blocked here. Except I can go get slurpees whenever.

maestrowork
12-22-2008, 07:26 AM
Slurpees? Is that what they call it now?

bsolah
12-22-2008, 07:28 AM
Yeah, or maybe it's just an Australian thing. And I can squeeze it all I like coz it don't have a gender :tongue

Shadow_Ferret
12-22-2008, 07:42 AM
It's just a picture of some ferret asking who gave whom the cooties.
Liar!