Blatant Sexism?

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I've noticed that in several threads here, men are regularly beaten, zapped with tasers, even fed to bugzappers.

Recently, another thread had some of the most objectified language I'd ever heard, as if those being spoken of were simply pieces of meat... and it was men being spoken of.

Now, I realize this is all in good fun and all, but still, if the shoe were on the other foot, would it still be considered fun and games?

I'm not condemning any of this, as a matter of fact I'm often a willing participant. However, you may consider me,

Genuinely curious.

Your thoughts, please.

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
Isn't that what men are for?

Seriously, I would hope that if any woman was regularly speaking about men in those terms, she would readily accept the same comments to be made about her and her sex.

After all, if you can't take it, don't dish it out.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Seriously, I would hope that if any woman was regularly speaking about men in those terms, she would readily accept the same comments to be made about her and her sex.

After all, if you can't take it, don't dish it out.

I dish it out, and have no problem taking it, particularly if it's meant in fun. The only time I raise an eyebrow at that kind of language is if I think someone actually BELIEVES it.

2old2pb

This Is Serious Mum!
Registered
Reaction score
In the end we are just meat and no mater how civilized we think we are there will be a zoo keeper and a tiger that will prove that we are just meat.

No offense to any AW residents that are either tigers or zoo keepers, lol.

I've noticed that in several threads here, men are regularly beaten, zapped with tasers, even fed to bugzappers.

Recently, another thread had some of the most objectified language I'd ever heard, as if those being spoken of were simply pieces of meat... and it was men being spoken of.

Now, I realize this is all in good fun and all, but still, if the shoe were on the other foot, would it still be considered fun and games?

I'm not condemning any of this, as a matter of fact I'm often a willing participant. However, you may consider me,

Genuinely curious.

Your thoughts, please.

Reaction score

Genuinely curious.

Your thoughts, please.

If you're talking about the thread I think you're talking about, you'll note women are also 'objectified' there.

Far better to say you find someone attractive than to hold them up as examples of fugliness I say.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
If you're talking about the thread I think you're talking about, you'll note women are also 'objectified' there.

Far better to say you find someone attractive than to hold them up as examples of fugliness I say.

Good point. There were PLENTY of women to drool over in that thread.

I wonder if the problem is that it was women doing the objectifying?

I could've sworn there were some men in there doing some objectifying...

Ahem... from the OP:

I'm not condemning any of this, as a matter of fact I'm often a willing participant.
:roll: I also never said there was a problem. I simply asked how 'tit for tat,' so to speak, would go over. I'm getting a pretty good answer to that question, as well. :)

Please don't confuse curiosity with condemnation.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Ahem... from the OP:
:roll: I also never said there was a problem. I simply asked how 'tit for tat,' so to speak, would go over. I'm getting a pretty good answer to that question, as well. :)

Please don't confuse curiosity with condemnation.

Duly noted. :D Just giving my opinion on the subject.

Tit for tat...touche', my friend...

Reaction score
Heh. Don said 'tit'. :roll:

Okay, serious answer.

It's known around AW that I recently met with a sleaze who...well, he basically asked if I was gay and threatened to rape the lesbian out of me. Sure, he made it clear he found me sexually attractive - oh, I'm honoured. :rolleyes: There was a line, he crossed it.

But...months and months back dclary started a thread about an avatar I occasionally use and how much he...ahem...appreciated it. A complete surprise to me, but was I offended? No. I was flattered. And we have a jokey relationship, full of banter and sexual innuendo but it doesn't make either of us uncomfortable, so we're cool.

I think the difference is if it makes one party uncomfortable, then it has to stop. If Jared Leto ever joined AW and said, "Man. You girls treat me like a piece of meat and I feel so objectified," I'd get down on my knees and...

...beg forgiveness. :D

I've never ben insulted when someone has complimented me, either politely or in an overtly sexual way - as long as they're not sleazy. That's the key. If it's lighthearted from either gender, then cool. It's when it crosses the line into "I'm serious. You've got no choice in what I do to you," that it needs to stop.

I shall now go back to being my normal stoopid self. :D

Reaction score
My avatar is my new girlfriend.

(Man, that'll look so weird when I change it to another one of myself...)

Reaction score
Well I googled "Lori Witt" and that's what the intarchoobs threw up...

*pulls on running shoes*

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score

<--------------- objectify this!

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
i would like to not have that avatar.
believe me.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I do think there tends to be double-standards all along the way-- I don't mind some amusing sexual banter (my favorite kind of banter,) but it's interesting the assumptions and conclusions people jump to from the threads and posts.

There are quite a few things that men can't say about women, but women can say about men-- particularly negative things. Look at the stereotypes used in many sitcoms and commercials these days with the doofus husband and the sexy wife. A woman can say "nice ass" but a man says the same about a woman and gets smacked for it. It's interesting, and I think wrong.

I think that joking around is fine, so long as *all* parties are okay with it. For example, I give Hubby immense amounts of grief-- I'm always teasing him-- but he rarely teases me back. He's more than okay with it since he knows I'm just joking, and he doesn't like to say un-nice things. (How he ended up with me is one of the mysteries of the universe.)

The only problem that I see that may come up is that jokey comments (esp. jokey generalizations) can come off wrong to someone not in on the joke. Like a thread where someone joked "men will nail anything" and someone may have gotten a little offended-- there wasn't much context and the responding poster may not have realized that it was meant as a joke. Context is key.

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Writer's Market lists a few publishers who won't accept submissions by men. Writer's Market will not list publishers who won't accept submissions by women.

Some school districts consider a T-shirt with the words "BOYZ RULE" as inappropriate and sexist (never mind the spelling) but good li'l future feminists can wear their "Girls Rule, Boys Drool" apparel to school.

Just sayin'.

Last edited: