PDA

View Full Version : Can my boss do that?

jillbrenna
12-17-2008, 07:20 AM
How long does you employer need to give you to sign a new employment contract? Is it just unethical or is it actually unlawful to say "I need this tomorrow by noon" and it's this big long convoluted documents about my "inventions" and owning the rights to even things I do during my off-duty hours? And if I ever get a book published and they (my employer) reserves rights to future royalties, would that cover a book I wrote, or make me less attractive to a publisher... And finally, is it my legal right to take longer than tomorrow at noon to talk to a lawyer if I can't get one that soon?

Any help anyone could give would be most appreciated!

Fraulein
12-17-2008, 07:29 AM
Ask your boss for more time. Simple as that.

Bayou Bill
12-17-2008, 07:43 AM
There are a lot of variables involved here, such as:

In what country (if USA, what state) is your work located?

Is the job covered by a personal services, civil service, and/or union contract?

If you're working in the US and nothing in #2 applies to you, then the employer can fire you at any time for any reason other than the various forms of discrimination now outlawed by the federal government (age, race, sex, etc.)

Can he force you to sign this new employment contract, yes. However, if you later sue on the grounds not enough time was given for reasonable consideration, you might win in court.

I'd suggest taking Fraulein's advice and asking for an extension. If you decide some provisions are unreasonable, strike them out and sign (as amended). They can then either accept your revisions or insist you sign the original. In the latter case, the next step would be up to you.

Just between us: There's a chance what you've been handed is a boiler-plate, standard contract in which the company asks for everything as a form of CYA (cover your ass-ets :D), and that it's being handled by a supervisor who is gung ho, a bully, or under pressure to get the things back to the human resource dept. ASAP.

Good luck.

Bayou Bill :cool:

Silver King
12-17-2008, 07:59 AM
How long does you employer need to give you to sign a new employment contract?
The time it takes to sign, about five seconds.

Is it just unethical or is it actually unlawful to say...It's neither unethical or unlawful. Almost anything can be put into a contract.

And if I ever get a book published and they (my employer) reserves rights to future royalties, would that cover a book I wrote, or make me less attractive to a publisher... And finally, is it my legal right to take longer than tomorrow at noon to talk to a lawyer if I can't get one that soon?Like you said, you need a lawyer. Badly. Don't sign a goddamn thing until you seek legal counsel. And don't tell the perspective "employer" you've chosen to pursue advice regarding the matter.

Protect yourself now, and put off any pressure to sign on until you're comfortable with the agreement.

regdog
12-17-2008, 04:27 PM
Everyone above has given you the best advice possible.

I just wanted to add something that was on the news recently.

The man who created the Bratz dolls worked for Mattel when he thought the idea for Bratz up. He left Mattel and took the idea for Bratz to a competitor.

Mattel sued.

The defense claimed the man thought Bratz up on his own time.

The judge ruled in Mattel's favor and Bratz cannot be sold anymore after January 2009. The reason behind the decision was even if the man had thought Bratz up on his own time, he was an employee of Mattel during that time.

astonwest
12-18-2008, 07:30 AM
The judge ruled in Mattel's favor and Bratz cannot be sold anymore after January 2009. The reason behind the decision was even if the man had thought Bratz up on his own time, he was an employee of Mattel during that time.
Which is why you never create any documentation of an idea until after you leave a company...

Yeshanu
12-18-2008, 01:05 PM
The judge ruled in Mattel's favor and Bratz cannot be sold anymore after January 2009.

Actually, the judge ruled in everyone's favour...

[/derail]