PDA

View Full Version : I'm tired of food without preservatives

Bravo
12-16-2008, 11:33 PM
i just got this loaf of bread two days ago, havent even opened it yet, but more than half of it is covered in mold.

this trend needs to die.

i dont care if it tastes better and is healthier, it's time for someone to demand that all food must have enough preservatives to last at least a couple of weeks.

vixey
12-16-2008, 11:36 PM
Um...you could make your own bread.

*runs out of thread*

GeorgeK
12-16-2008, 11:37 PM
Did you store it in the fridge and check the freshness date? If yes, then the problem is probably the place where you purchased it.

Shadow_Ferret
12-16-2008, 11:39 PM
All our bread is loaded with preservatives. Lasts forever.

Bravo
12-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Um...you could make your own bread.

*runs out of thread*

/throws moldy bread at vixey.

vixey
12-16-2008, 11:40 PM
*ducks*

Yeshanu
12-16-2008, 11:40 PM
Bravo, check the "best before" date before you buy. If you're buying bread that's been on the shelf in the store for a couple of weeks, it's not going to help you any at home.

And I generally store my bread in the fridge, because it lasts longer that way.

Shadow_Ferret
12-17-2008, 12:07 AM
IN the fridge. Not ON the fridge. I found that the heat from the coils comes up and speeds up the molding process that way.

Yeshanu
12-17-2008, 12:09 AM
Unless, of course, you're following vixey's advice and making your own. Then on the fridge is fine for letting it rise...

Oh, the good thing about making your own? It NEVER lasts long enough to go mouldy. :D

vixey
12-17-2008, 12:12 AM
Oh, the good thing about making your own? It NEVER lasts long enough to go mouldy. :D

My point exactly!

Medievalist
12-17-2008, 12:30 AM
Bravo

When you buy a loaf, divide it in half. Put one half in the fridge, and freeze the other half.

Bravo
12-17-2008, 12:32 AM
that's actually a really good idea. :eek:

although.....i dont like the idea of freezing bread because it doesnt taste as fresh, they should just start selling half a loaf.

that'd be perfect.

Atani
12-17-2008, 12:33 AM
I hate cold bread :(

Trouble with freezing & then thawing is that the crust tends to become tough...

Honey wheat bread tends to last long enough, and it's nice & soft :)

JimmyB27
12-17-2008, 12:39 AM
that's actually a really good idea. :eek:

although.....i dont like the idea of freezing bread because it doesnt taste as fresh, they should just start selling half a loaf.

that'd be perfect.
Still gotta be better than all those preservatives.
And, on this side of the pond at least, you can buy half-loaves.

Mumut
12-17-2008, 12:42 AM
When I make my own bread a get a double benefit. After a few days I can cut it into cubes and use it for sinkers when I go fishing. If it's not eaten soon it goes hard as a rock.

Jcomp
12-17-2008, 12:46 AM
they should just start selling half a loaf.

that'd be perfect.

If someone isn't already doing that, I'm going to steal this idea and millions. Millions I tells ya...

cray
12-17-2008, 12:47 AM
stick half in the freezer *insert shrug guy*

Shadow_Ferret
12-17-2008, 12:52 AM
I hate frozen bread. The process seems to break it down so it changes the texture.

I just put it up in my food pantry. Lasts at least a week there.

vixey
12-17-2008, 12:54 AM
Would someone please change Cray's avvie back??!!! I can't understand why with all that movement the poor guy hasn't wasted away yet.

HE definitely doesn't need to eat bread - with or without preservatives.

Pagey's_Girl
12-17-2008, 03:34 AM
At my age, I want all the preservatives I can get. I figure I'll either live forever or die looking great....

Mandy-Jane
12-17-2008, 04:08 AM
Bread never lasts that long at our house. We open a packet and it's gone within 2 days. I'm a breadaholic.

Fraulein
12-17-2008, 06:25 AM
Bread is overrated. What's wrong with a bowl of fake Fruity Pebbles instead? I think they call them Dyno Bites.

vixey
12-17-2008, 06:34 AM
At my age, I want all the preservatives I can get. I figure I'll either live forever or die looking great....

Pagey!

Who gives a damn what you look like in your coffin! Just have a hell of a time getting there, darling! :D

Teleute
12-17-2008, 09:03 AM
I have to agree on the bread thing. Natural bread only lasts a few days; it's so irritating. But for some reason, organic milk lasts at least twice as long as regular milk. I'm still trying to figure that one out...

Fraulein
12-17-2008, 10:50 AM
I have to agree on the bread thing. Natural bread only lasts a few days; it's so irritating. But for some reason, organic milk lasts at least twice as long as regular milk. I'm still trying to figure that one out...It depends on how long it takes the milk to reach the customer. Local milk is *almost* always fresher than national brand milk. I can't say if that's the case for organic vs conventional, but either way, if it takes an extra 2 or 3 days for the milk to be shipped across the country (not including mishaps with continuous refrigeration), then it's going to spoil faster.

Joe270
12-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Eat soup.

I've never seen an unopened can of soup covered in mold.

If someone isn't already doing that, I'm going to steal this idea and millions. Millions I tells ya...

Sorry, JC, but Orowheat and others are already doing it. That's the only way I buy 'good' bread anymore. The white bread is for the kids, the 'good' stuff is for me.

I'm hoping they'll, one day, want the good stuff.

Teleute
12-17-2008, 11:33 AM
It depends on how long it takes the milk to reach the customer. Local milk is *almost* always fresher than national brand milk. I can't say if that's the case for organic vs conventional, but either way, if it takes an extra 2 or 3 days for the milk to be shipped across the country (not including mishaps with continuous refrigeration), then it's going to spoil faster.

I figure it has something to do with the amount of time between production and shipping, but organic milk lasts a really long time--like, two to three months. I have actually never had organic milk go bad, in 4 years or so of buying it. Perhaps it's an extra processing thing they do since they don't use antibiotics on their cows? No idea.

Joe270
12-17-2008, 11:56 AM
I figure it has something to do with the amount of time between production and shipping, but organic milk lasts a really long time--like, two to three months. I have actually never had organic milk go bad, in 4 years or so of buying it. Perhaps it's an extra processing thing they do since they don't use antibiotics on their cows? No idea

Preservatives? Lots and lots of preservatives?

Teleute
12-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Preservatives? Lots and lots of preservatives?

But it's organic.

OK, so I just looked it up; apparently they use high heat processing to counter the lack of antibiotics. High heat processing has 2x the heat of regular pasteurization, and that makes it last longer.

Darzian
12-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Well, there's a HUGE bakery near my house and I get steaming hot bread whenever I want! They bake in the evenings as well.

And........yes, I can get HALF a loaf if I ask. :D

maestrowork
12-17-2008, 09:53 PM
Who eats bread that is 3 weeks' old anyway. Disgusting.

I love fresh bread. Anything that is more than three days' old, I toss.

James81
12-17-2008, 09:55 PM
I'm tired of food with no trans fat.

Shadow_Ferret
12-18-2008, 12:35 AM
Sorry, JC, but Orowheat and others are already doing it. That's the only way I buy 'good' bread anymore. The white bread is for the kids, the 'good' stuff is for me.

I'm hoping they'll, one day, want the good stuff.
White bread IS the good stuff. Especially now that they call it Whole Grain White. :D

Gary
12-18-2008, 06:05 AM
I bake a loaf almost every day. It takes a total of three minutes to prepare it for the bread machine and a few seconds to take it out four hours later. Add another minute to clean the tub, and I have a loaf of fresh, tasty, healthy, bread for less than five minutes a day.

Fraulein
12-18-2008, 06:52 AM
"I'm tired of" shaving my legs, but if I had blonde hair, then I might think about skipping it. :D

ErylRavenwell
12-18-2008, 06:58 AM
Bravo

When you buy a loaf, divide it in half. Put one half in the fridge, and freeze the other half.

Looks like Bravo has never been to uni. Every uni student on a modest budget knows the from-freezer-to-microwave-then-toaster trick.

Fraulein
12-18-2008, 07:06 AM
Looks like Bravo has never been to uni. Every uni student on a modest budget knows the from-freezer-to-microwave-then-toaster trick.They sell all-in-one freezers, microwaves, and toasters? That's new to me!, and it's my 7th year of "uni". :tongue Is there a paddle thingy that flips the bread from the freezer to the microwave to the toaster? ;)

ErylRavenwell
12-18-2008, 07:14 AM
They sell all-in-one freezers, microwaves, and toasters? That's new to me!, and it's my 7th year of "uni". :tongue Is there a paddle thingy that flips the bread from the freezer to the microwave to the toaster? ;)

What in the deuce? Uni students cannot afford a paddle thingy. They do all the manual work themselves.

Fraulein
12-18-2008, 07:24 AM
What in the deuce? Uni students cannot afford a paddle thingy. They do all the manual work themselves.What's wrong with the freezer-to-the-toaster-to-the-plate method? Is the microwave really necessary?

ErylRavenwell
12-18-2008, 07:40 AM
What's wrong with the freezer-to-the-toaster-to-the-plate method? Is the microwave really necessary?

If you want good quality toast (this is relative), it is vital to defrost the bread in the microwave first—else the toast will be crusty on the outside, while the inside stays cold. More time in the toaster, you'll burn the slices. Of course, when we are famished and in a hurry, poor quality toasts might do just as well.

:D

Fraulein
12-18-2008, 07:59 AM
If you want good quality toast (this is relative), it is vital to defrost the bread in the microwave first—else the toast will be crusty on the outside, while the inside stays cold. More time in the toaster, you'll burn the slices. Of course, when we are famished and in a hurry, poor quality toasts might do just as well.

:DWhere's my notepad? This is insider information.