I need some YouTubers who are also VERY good with math.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Is this video mathematically correct? Or is it exaggerating? It's 2:35 long, and it's one of those homemade mashups that you can whip out in about 3 hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JIirvMxTCI

Let me run down the claims the video is making:

One trillion dollars. How much is it?

1) If it's stacked up as just one dollar bills, that stack will be 67,000 miles high (109,000 km). (This one is basically dependent upon determining a uniform thickness for each bill. I personally do not know what that thickness is, and the video doesn't reveal it.)
2) If you had a job that paid you one dollar per second 24/7/365 you would need to work 31,709 years.
3) Something about a jet fighter. (This one is way too complicated for me to explain, and you need to start with the exact dimensions of each dollar bill, and the video doesn't stipulate if it's the dimension of length or the dimension of width that's being measured.)
4) It would buy every man, woman and child (I believe that's 300 million of us) in the USA 1,000 boxes of Girl Scout cookies.
5) Another analogy about how if Jesus spent 1 million dollars a day every day since the day he was born (essentially this math equation is starting with the non-existent Year "Zero") he would need until October 2737 AD to rack up a trillion.

Is this bogus and conveniently exaggerated math? Or is it real?

Last edited:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I admit that I rarely hang out in Office Party, but do you guys maybe smoke weed in here or something? The level of laid-back-ness is amazing (and downright inspiring too).

So nobody's a math geek????? (Just a bunch of basement horticulturalists????)
You can't smoke weed on the Interwebs. However, a slight overvoltage on your PC gives a nice tingle through the keyboard that achieves much the same thing. If you smell burning flesh, turn the voltage down just a smidge. :)

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Is this video mathematically correct? Or is it exaggerating? It's 2:35 long, and it's one of those homemade mashups that you can whip out in about 3 hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JIirvMxTCI

Let me run down the claims the video is making:

One trillion dollars. How much is it?

1) If it's stacked up as just one dollar bills, that stack will be 67,000 miles high (109,000 km). (This one is basically dependent upon determining a uniform thickness for each bill. I personally do not know what that thickness is, and the video doesn't reveal it.)
2) If you had a job that paid you one dollar per second 24/7/365 you would need to work 31,709 years.
3) Something about a jet fighter. (This one is way too complicated for me to explain, and you need to start with the exact dimensions of each dollar bill, and the video doesn't stipulate if it's the dimension of length or the dimension of width that's being measured.)
4) It would buy every man, woman and child (I believe that's 300 million of us) in the USA 1,000 boxes of Girl Scout cookies.
5) Another analogy about how if Jesus spent 1 million dollars a day every day since the day he was born (essentially this math equation is starting with the non-existent Year "Zero") he would need until October 2737 AD to rack up a trillion.

Is this bogus and conveniently exaggerated math? Or is it real?

First of all, the actual value of "one trillion" is not quite standard. I'm going to assume that this person is taking the more usual meaning (in English-speaking countries) of one million million, or twelve zeros.

There are 525600 seconds in a year, 527040 seconds in a leap year. That makes 2103840 seconds in every four-year period. It would take you 1,901,285 1/4 years to rack up a trillion dollars at a dollar per second. (At half a million dollars per year, your income isn't even comparable to JK Rowling, who will, if she continues to earn the same amount as she did this year, reach a trillion dollars in a mere 1538 1/2 years, barring investment income.)

As for spending a million dollars a day, it would take exactly a million days, since a trillion is one million million. A million days is 2737.85 years. So yep, the last one is right.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and just call me "geek." :D

I didn't answer the other two because I don't have all the facts to plug in to the equation, not because I don't want to... :tongue