where do ideas come from?

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Notions. See, when a daddy notion and a mommy notion decide to come together and have an idea...

Mythical Tiger

I RUN WITH THE TIGERS
Registered
Reaction score
Deep in the woods, running with the Tigers......
Hmmmm...... Now that I think about it.... My idea's come from my weird imagination. Maybe I take too many walks in the woods, and get whacked in the head by branch's to much:tongue. Who knows? Intresting that I happened to figure out how I turned stupid -.- :ROFL:

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
ideas form as a reaction to factors outside ourselves. they are a reflection of what we see. they are responses to hardships and other beings.

like, if you are dealing with stairways a lot, before the elevator, and you are being worn out by it, then your mind will begin to work out a way to go around the stairs.

im not being very clear in my ideas here...

and ADHD moment, if ideas come from what we see around us, where do abstract ideas come from?

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
The mind's basic state is having an idea. It's actually much harder to have no ideas. We just don't notice most of our ideas because they are stupid or things we have thought of many times before. The mind stores ideas as memory. The mind gets bored easily and wants to change ideas frequently - this change can happen in response to external factors, remembering an internal idea, and whatever dreaming is.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Think of the brain as a computer storing everything you see, hear, smell, etc from the day you're born. Now randomly assemble 5 of those things into a question starting with "What if..." . Bam! Abstract idea.

Reaction score
What Robovowels calls the ether, I'd call the subconscious.

Personal experiences get filed away in my memory, sometimes pop up in dreams, stew for a while in my subconscious and often present themselves when I'm thinking about a particular WIP/group of characters.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
As already stated, in one way or the other ideas come from our minds. Accordingly, since the mind and body are always exchanging invisible messages, in one way or the other ideas emanate from our five senses. And the more we are aware of what we have and do see, hear, smell, touch, and taste, the more ideas we will have.

smoothseas

Life sucks... Then ya die...
Registered
Reaction score
yawn... in da land of the terminally bored.
Think of the brain as a computer storing everything you see, hear, smell, etc from the day you're born. Now randomly assemble 5 of those things into a question starting with "What if..." . Bam! Abstract idea.

just think - if all that data we’ve stored since birth was available for immediate recall, you'd probably fry your mother board in half a nanosecond.

*course there's always those things that we'd prefer to keep locked in a lower drawer in our mental filing cabinets.

Jerry B. Flory

under the Milky Way
Registered
Reaction score
I like to think of it as this humongous neverending sewer. Some routes are made of concrete and the sludge oozes through it in deep channels and require a snorkel to dive deep and dredge some of the oldest and most stubborn of bacteria-laden fecal matter and lost corpses loose from the dark slippery bottoms so it drifts to the top and finally breaks the syrupy surface with a constipated blurp
Other times, however, you get stuck in narrow pipes and have to crawl through on your hands and knees or squirm like a half-fish half-man thing, scraping the slick metal for purchase. And, yet, other times it seems so shallow and green with algae that you can kick it loose with your muddy shoes and pick slices of it up in your hands and raise it to your nose for a vivid whiff.
It all depends which end of the sewer you wish to begin exploring, or in what puddle of runny shit you woke up in.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
"Who knows where thoughts come from? They just appear."

/end random movie quoting

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Ideas are seeded by necessity and idle curiosity. They are nurtured in a mulch of knowledge and myth. They grow in the light of rigour, nourished by occasional showers of perversity.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Ideas can come either from as Scarlett has already mentioned your subconscious or other people's subconscious for various reasons. A web of information is in movement all around us, and a simple idea can be easily grabbed at any time. Ideas are a web of many things, as they are part of thoughts which keeps the active brain stimulated. If I get thoughts or ideas, I detach myself away from them, figure out their root and let them go, as I know they are either not mine or just part of an engraved experience I once had, which is no longer active in my current moment, so there is no need for it to be here.

Corpus Thomisticum

Life Stares Back at Me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tomekjankowski.com
Ideas are born of our very robust creative impulse, an ability to transcend merely being able to describe the world we see but as well to prescribe it, to understand it and analyze it, and ultimately make something different out of what originally existed. This ability itself is a product of our behavioral evolution as extremely social creatures, almost entirely dependent on our society and its continued ability to provide for our needs. We used to believe that we were the only animals with this ability but studies increasingly show that most mammals and other fauna we used to consider "dumb" -- some reptiles, fish, etc. -- have considerable reasoning capabilities, including this creative impulse. None, however, have it to the degree we do, and this likely derives from the reality that from a physical standpoint, when compared to almost any other animal, we suck. Physically, we only have a couple biological advantages (e.g., sweat glands, opposable thumbs, etc.), but just about any other animal on the planet can out-run us (on a sprint), out-swim us, and they all come with nifty teeth, claws, shells or poisons that make subduing them for lunch very difficult even when we can catch them. Our sole advantage -- though it's turned out to be a boon -- has been our ability to think, and not just observe.

Summary: Ideas come from brains that have been trained through 2 million years of evolution to see the world differently from other animals -- for sheer survival -- and most importantly, to take static concepts and combine their in unique ways to make something altogether new. One side effect of this evolutionary creative impulse is a powerful drive for modern people to express themselves by writing books, which we hope to the gods someone somewhere will want to read....

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Ideas are born of our very robust creative impulse, an ability to transcend merely being able to describe the world we see but as well to prescribe it, to understand it and analyze it, and ultimately make something different out of what originally existed. This ability itself is a product of our behavioral evolution as extremely social creatures, almost entirely dependent on our society and its continued ability to provide for our needs. We used to believe that we were the only animals with this ability but studies increasingly show that most mammals and other fauna we used to consider "dumb" -- some reptiles, fish, etc. -- have considerable reasoning capabilities, including this creative impulse. None, however, have it to the degree we do, and this likely derives from the reality that from a physical standpoint, when compared to almost any other animal, we suck. Physically, we only have a couple biological advantages (e.g., sweat glands, opposable thumbs, etc.), but just about any other animal on the planet can out-run us (on a sprint), out-swim us, and they all come with nifty teeth, claws, shells or poisons that make subduing them for lunch very difficult even when we can catch them. Our sole advantage -- though it's turned out to be a boon -- has been our ability to think, and not just observe.

Summary: Ideas come from brains that have been trained through 2 million years of evolution to see the world differently from other animals -- for sheer survival -- and most importantly, to take static concepts and combine their in unique ways to make something altogether new. One side effect of this evolutionary creative impulse is a powerful drive for modern people to express themselves by writing books, which we hope to the gods someone somewhere will want to read....

Well expressed. :)

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Ray Bradbury gets his from a crazy idea factory in Schenectady.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Stephen King was asked this once. He answered, "Utica."

My ideas are an amalgam of all of the stuff I've seen and that has been implanted in my brain (by normal causes, not aliens. That's another story. But it isn't mine. I don't know any aliens, personally, but I've seen them on TV.)