PDA

View Full Version : Just Imagine if Stephen King ...

Bo Sullivan
12-16-2008, 08:13 AM
Really was looking at this board ... :Hug2: is what I would say to him for writing the Green Mile and for writing the Shawshank Redemption. Brilliant work Mr King of all Kingly writers. :hooray::cry:why can't I be that good?

I need to be that good. :Shrug:so why can't I be that good?

Cheyenne popped in to say hello and then she popped out again in a flash of the eye, so that a flash in the pan could not be compared to either of those two things, except to say a flash in the pan and the blink of the eye is a misnomer. :snoopy:

scarletpeaches
12-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Really was looking at this board ... :Hug2: is what I would say to him for writing the Green Mile and for writing the Shawshank Redemption. Brilliant work Mr King of all Kingly writers. :hooray::cry:why can't I be that good?

I need to be that good. :Shrug:so why can't I be that good?

Cheyenne popped in to say hello and then she popped out again in a flash of the eye, so that a flash in the pan could not be compared to either of those two things, except to say a flash in the pan and the blink of the eye is a misnomer. :snoopy:

Because you're not Stephen King.

Not that I think he's that great anyway...

Bo Sullivan
12-16-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm not trying to be - I just said why can't I be. :D

Pagey's_Girl
12-16-2008, 05:54 PM
I just wish I could write half as brilliantly as Jimmy Page plays guitar. Heck, I wish I could do something half that brilliantly....

Shadow_Ferret
12-16-2008, 06:32 PM
Ted Nugent's referred to Page as "Bumble Fingers."

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

*ducks the pillow PG throws at him*

:tongue

NeuroFizz
12-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Mr. King would probably see all of the animated emoticons and pop back out without posting or ever visiting AW again.

Cranky
12-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Mr. King would probably see all of the animated emoticons and pop back out without posting or ever visiting AW again.

Oh crap. Are those adverbs? No wonder.

Pagey's_Girl
12-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Ted Nugent's referred to Page as "Bumble Fingers."

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

*ducks the pillow PG throws at him*

:tongue

:roll:

Ted Nugent? Like we learned in journalistic writing, "Consider the source." :tongue

(Actually, Ted Nugent is okay - as long as you stick to the music and ignore the other stuff that comes out of his mouth...)

CACTUSWENDY
12-16-2008, 11:12 PM
I will say it again. What makes you think he does not come to these boards....and what makes you think he does not post here?

There are some very well known folks that are memebers here.

scarletpeaches
12-17-2008, 01:18 AM
Screw Stephen King; I want to know when Colin Farrell's gonna reveal himself.

Yeah. Really reveal himself.

Leukman
12-17-2008, 01:24 AM
I will say it again. What makes you think he does not come to these boards....and what makes you think he does not post here?

There are some very well known folks that are memebers here.

Oh, he's here. Sitting on an end barstool in the cabaret, shaking his head with disdain...

Pagey's_Girl
12-17-2008, 03:39 AM

There are some very well known folks that are members here.

:eek:

Please don't tell me that. As it is, I'm kind of half-afraid to post anything on the board at the Fixx's official site because Cy Curnin (their lead singer) sometimes hangs out on the boards there. I'm totally convinced he'll actually notice something I post - the one time I say something totally, seriously stupid. (Which with me, as you know, is approximately once a day...)

Plot Device
12-17-2008, 03:59 AM
In Stephen King's book On Writing he discussed the follwing. Forgive me if I am not correctly recalling the four categories he outlined.

Great Writers
Very Good Writers
Fair/Good Writers
Poor Writers

He said it's like a pyramid with Poor Writers at the bottom and comprising most of the human race. They will NEVER be able to write good, readable, sellable fiction, no matter what. Then on up the ladder are a lsomewhat smaller population of Fair/Good Writers. They write "okay" stuff that painfully isn't sellable. And yet they have the innate ability to improve themselves JUST ENOUGH to get elevated to the next, smaller, more elite level called Very Good Writers, and it's the Very Good Writers who get published.

Great Writers are an impossibly rare breed who include the likes of William Shakespeare and God.

Stephen King considers himself one of the lucky few who made it into the ranks of the Very Good Writers, but only via a lot of sweat and determination and even luck.

His overall thesis of the book On Writing is that it's the Fair/Good Writers who can be trained and disciplined to ultimately enter the ranks of Very Good Writers and then get published.

benbradley
12-17-2008, 04:37 AM
I just want to write well enough to play with the Rock Bottom Remainders.

rhymegirl
12-17-2008, 06:18 AM
Oh...
I thought the thread title said Silver King.

Never mind.

Fenika
12-17-2008, 06:24 AM
He said it's like a pyramid with Poor Writers at the bottom and comprising most of the human race. They will NEVER be able to write good, readable, sellable fiction, no matter what.

So you (or King, if you didn't misquote him) are saying over 50% of people can't be salable in some form if they apply themselves?

Right.

Plot Device
12-17-2008, 07:24 AM
So you (or King, if you didn't misquote him) are saying over 50% of people can't be salable in some form if they apply themselves?

Right.

Don't make me drag out the book just to check! :(

(Make somebody else here do it instead!)

Yeshanu
12-17-2008, 09:59 AM

Right.

Don't let that discourage you. The fact that you already write, and that you're actively trying to improve your writing (you are, aren't you) puts you in the top 25% of people to begin with.

I wouldn't say that the folks on the bottom of the pyramid can never write well enough to be published, no matter what, but the vast majority of them have one of three strikes against them:

a) they're funtionally illiterate, and would have to learn to write before they could even write anything badly, or

b) they think they're already good enough writers to get published, and so don't attempt to improve their writing, or

c) they're not good writers, they know it, and they don't care.