My art is now represented by a gallery

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Yippie. Another dream of mine has now come to pass. I am a painter and am now represented by a very well known gallery in this area. I'm now a professional painter!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
happy096.gif
:hooray:

Jo

Travelling the re-write road
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! That's fantastic. :snoopy:

Seems like we're travelling similar paths. I've got a local gallery, who've seen pictures of my work, looking at my latest portrait (link in sig.) within the next week or so. The portrait isn't for sale, but if it comes up to snuff, I'll be a featured artist with a portfolio on display. I'm not so sure about the 40% commission the owner wants from (future) sales, though. :(

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Hot damn Jo, those are good. I do more impressionistic stuff though realistic. I dont have the attention span for photo realism.This is a gallery where you Must come up with one new work every month. It's almost like writing a book a month (hopeful that it wont take all my time.) I was totally amazed that the owner (and artist) liked me and thought my work was different enough to let in. (It is official by the way, I am "in"). One thing gallerys do not like are 2 artists who do the same thing. I am not allowed to paint "buccholic horses in a field" for the gallery. I am allowed only to paint horse racing or equestrienne (jumping and so on). The owner sort of "tells" you what to paint-- what is expected. I got "horse racing, boats, and golf courses," and she also said "events" so I can throw in a hot air balloon or a ferris wheel. Neat-o. Actually it is a boffo job. I would much rather do it than work at T-a-c-o Bell. It does mean work. As a race track artist, I actually have to learn everything (I know a lot already) and go see the races, take photos, do sketches, and as a boat painter, I have to go to the lakes and look for half submerged boats in pond scum (yummy) and get pictures and sketches. It's a lot like publishing-- a lot of chances to be taken advantage of-- I have gotten to the first tier.

One thing that has changed is my relatonship with the work. It began almost immedietly-- it would be similar if I had been published. Art is now a job, not a hobby.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, congratulations! Are you finding it hard to balance this job and writing?

For a while I will need to get a few paintings ahead. It not only means painting, it also means finding the subject and going there usually with note book, cameras and other tools-- then coming back to the "studio" and painting. I have about 5 oils that I need to finish. They take about 6 months before they are chemically set and can be sold.

The writing will need to wait maybe a month. I think that it helps because now i have a new aspect of my life.

I still need to work, you know. Unless I can sell 2 thousand doller painitings, the sales will not support me. I would be lucky to make 600 dollars a month.

I am going to try to make it on a part time job, finish the books and paint for a living. I still need health care and a steady income. I will not get that sitting in a back room painting (or writing).

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
A little late but... Congratulations - what a great accomplishment.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Congratulations. I'm a professional painter too. One day, two coats, any color. I was one anyway. I did paint Dustin Hoffman's house though, is that an accomplishment?

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Yippie. Another dream of mine has now come to pass. I am a painter and am now represented by a very well known gallery in this area. I'm now a professional painter!

An amateur artist to a professional: RIGHT ON!!!!!!! :hooray:

Last edited:

Sury

Word Worker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bghosh.cavernreal.com
Wonderful news, UHN! I hope you make most of this great opportunity and receive loads of appreciation for your work. :)

Jo, same to you! :)