PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen UFOs?

Darzian
12-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Considering the large number of UFO sightings in the US, I thought I'd prose the question.

And before someone Shadowy proposes that they saw an unidentified flying object and it turned out to be a goose, I'll amend: Who saw a UFO and suspects it to be from an extra-terrestrial region?

While I believe in the possibility of alien life (it's very logical after all), I haven't seen much proof.

alleycat
12-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Alas, I have not. Nor any ghosts either.

Even if there is intelligent life on other planets, the distances between even the closest planets and earth is vast. It's fun to think that maybe someday we (or they) will overcome this problem in some kind of marvelous and unexpected way (worm hole, anyone?), but I have my doubts we ever will.

RumpleTumbler
12-15-2008, 10:20 PM
That's because there isn't and never has been a single shred of credible evidence.

Not even one teeny tiny piece of evidence, ever.

Too bad really, it would be wildly entertaining.

Don
12-15-2008, 10:38 PM
This question arises...

If there were truly intelligent life elsewhere in the universe, why would they be interested in exposing themselves to a species that strives hard to find a reason to kill anything different from itself?

If I tapped into a week of nightly news, or had a history of the planet to peruse, I'd run like a scalded cat and hope those poor creatures managed to grow up before they blew up their planet.

Shadow_Ferret
12-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Extraterrestial life may exist, but I still think physics prevent them from traveling the distances required to come here. And if they're in a recession also, I doubt they can get the budget required to travel those distances passed.

johnnysannie
12-15-2008, 10:52 PM
It's bad enough that the recession is worldwide; I would hate to think it might be galaxy wide or even worse, universal in the universe!!!!!!!

brokenfingers
12-15-2008, 10:57 PM
I thought I saw a UFO once, but it turned out to be a dream. A really weird and silly dream about being transported up to the mothership etc., but a dream nonetheless.

Oddly enough, on that night, I also woke up 240 miles from home in some cornfield.

Shadow_Ferret
12-15-2008, 10:58 PM
It's bad enough that the recession is worldwide; I would hate to think it might be galaxy wide or even worse, universal in the universe!!!!!!!
Actually, i feel comforted that it's universally universal.

Unique
12-15-2008, 11:00 PM
I did and they scared the crap out of me. I went in the house and hid. (I saw them driving home)

zoom, zoom, zoom..... there were around five of them. I don't think I'll ever forget that. No one was home when I got there either. Still gives me the creeps thinking about it.

alleycat
12-15-2008, 11:00 PM
Extraterrestial life may exist, but I still think physics prevent them from traveling the distances required to come here. And if they're in a recession also, I doubt they can get the budget required to travel those distances passed.
You knew it's bad when three large-headed, green, slimy creatures appear before Congress.

"We need a six trillion dollar bailout, or we're have to close all our spaceship factories on planet Zuburottu . . . "

regdog
12-15-2008, 11:07 PM
Funny story.

I have a relative who was into reading about aliens and watching TV shows about them. He wakes his wife up one night and tells her there are lights outside the window and it must be aliens. She sits up and says she's going to stick $20 on his head to bribe the aliens to take him. He never did wake her up with anymore alien sightings.
:ROFL:

smoothseas
12-15-2008, 11:16 PM
Considering the large number of UFO sightings in the US, I thought I'd prose the question.

And before someone Shadowy proposes that they saw an unidentified flying object and it turned out to be a goose, I'll amend: Who saw a UFO and suspects it to be from an extra-terrestrial region?

While I believe in the possibility of alien life (it's very logical after all), I haven't seen much proof.

Well, it probably wasn’t really a UFO, but…

Back in the mid-80’s I was working on an Amoco tanker on the Great Lakes. It was around midnight, in late August. We were sitting on the hook, waiting to hit the loading dock in Bay City, MI.

It was a lovely night and I was standing aft, on the fantail, enjoying a last cigarette before turning in. My eye caught movement in the sky – a pinprick of light moving in these tight, concentric circles. It rose up. It came down. Sometimes, it seemed to momentarily hover.

(Remember back, when we were kids, those punks we used to burn once it got dark. You’d raise your arm, rotating the stick in your hand, and the end would glow? That’s what this movement kinda looked like, but it was way, way up there in the sky.)

After watching it for about five minutes, a crew mate ambled by. I point it out. “Probably just a satellite,” he said. Maybe? Or, maybe not. Can’t think of any vechicle/vessle I’d ever seen move like this.

So, what was it?

p.s. and no, it wasn’t the Northern Lights

Susie
12-15-2008, 11:27 PM
I was about ten, I think, and we were on the beach in Rockaway, Queens, NY, late at night. Suddenly, someone looked up in the night sky and we saw a huge ufo, slowly moving along, with lights all around it. It was really scary and fun to see at the same time.

NeuroFizz
12-15-2008, 11:38 PM
One night, many years ago in Port Mescal, I saw a UFO. And some worm-like creature. And later that night, my dinner for the second time...

Angelinity
12-15-2008, 11:52 PM
not yet... but i won't be shocked when i do see them.

cray
12-15-2008, 11:59 PM
on july 8, 1947, witnesses claim a spaceship with five aliens aboard crashed on a sheep-and-cattle ranch outside roswell, an incident they say has been covered up by the military.

march 31, 1948, nine months after that day, rt was born.

that clears up a lot of things.

alleycat
12-16-2008, 12:03 AM
I was about ten, I think, and we were on the beach in Rockaway, Queens, NY, late at night. Suddenly, someone looked up in the night sky and we saw a huge ufo, slowly moving along, with lights all around it. It was really scary and fun to see at the same time.
You sure that wasn't the time you got your first kiss and were just seeing stars?

Just asking.

regdog
12-16-2008, 12:24 AM
on july 8, 1947, witnesses claim a spaceship with five aliens aboard crashed on a sheep-and-cattle ranch outside roswell, an incident they say has been covered up by the military.

march 31, 1948, nine months after that day, rt was born.

that clears up a lot of things.

**Snerk**

Not that attached to your avatar, cray?

Mela
12-16-2008, 12:46 AM
Well I used to believe in aliens but not anymore. Aliens were conjured in the 1950s as a metaphor for the threat we were facing in the Cold War - everything "alien" was scary.

I think a one in a mega-trillion-light-year occurence happened to the earth 300-600 billion years ago. We had all the right stuff. I used to say that it was ignorant to think that what happened here couldn't have happened to another planet on another solar system and that there probably more of us buzzing around the universe. But I feel differently now, after reading about how thrilled scientists were to find traces of water on Mars. Traces.

Still, I was reading something on my NASA newsletter last week about an odd occurrence 30-some-odd years ago. They were measuring, I don't know, waves of sound (or something similar) in outer space, and after thousands of the same numbers over and over again one blip came in off the charts. The scientist recording it even wrote Wow! next to the register. It was never explained.

Gary
12-16-2008, 01:22 AM
I saw what were called UFOs back in the late fifties. There were four of them, and they were seen during daylight hours by hundreds of people.

I don't know what they were, and I won't speculate...but they weren't swamp gas..

Darzian
12-16-2008, 08:42 AM
Due to the vast size of the universe, the existence of life elsewhere is very likely. As pointed out, transport issues may persist.

The problem is that we truly have no idea what it's like. Due they have a greater intelligence? If so, then they may think completely differently. It's almost scary to think of beings with superior intelligence. Would they regard humans as pests? Would they just blast the Earth to smithereens for the fun of it?

If only people stopped lying etc... about such stuff, we may actually bring out any genuine experiences. Once again, mankind is limited by the greedy wretches.

Universal recession. Now, that's a fun thought.:D

kdnxdr
12-16-2008, 09:28 AM
I saw an unidentified flying object that was quite large. I was in a terrorfied state, as were my two children, and so it was a little difficult to stop and look at it for details. However, I did the best I could and wrote a short story that relates the incident titled An Abrubt Turn.

I saw this particular craft just before dusk while it was still light outside. It was "parked" above my head at about 50 to 100 feet. It was really hard to judge size and distance as the vehicle had be moving at an incredible rate of speed just over the tops of some trees when it decided to stop in midair and just hang in the sky.

I saw it in various positions and doing different manuevers and moving at different speeds. The whole experience was extremely terifying at the time as my mind couldn't accept what I was seeing, I was desperately trying to make sense of the whole thing and trying to get away from it as fast as I could for fear that it might do something to my children.

After the fact, it was quite a fascinating experience. I, personally, believe that it was a prototype of some experimental craft that "we", the government, has "outthere". Of course, when I called them and tried to get them to confirm any type of military exercise over the area - the answer was a definate no, no, no.

Regardless of what they are or where they are from, I saw very clearly this particular object.

kid

Angelinity
12-16-2008, 10:27 AM
there's lots of bits and pieces, thousands, that give food for thought. a lot is bunk, but not all of it. some of the things seen are likely super secret human technology, but others, probably not of our making. if you want to scare yourself silly, search youtube and set aside a few sleepless days and nights....

ErylRavenwell
12-18-2008, 04:38 AM
People with silvery blue eyes randomly crossing my path and engaging me in soul searching conversations are aliens. Maybe not. I'm jesting, I'm jesting. But who the hell are those people who seem to know me better than I do. Freaky.