eighth draft writers block??

Status
Not open for further replies.

alleywaygirl

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. V nice to read some posts, obviously written by people who are really working on material. I have this writing problem some of you might be able to help me out with. I spent the past four years working on a narrative non fiction ms, before sending it out to a reputable agent. I was very lucky in hearing back the next day saying she was interested in it, but since then she's had me in rewrites. The first one went okay (oh so casually she asked for another 20,000 words), but with the second one (on advice of a reputable editor) i've been stuck. I really believe in what I;'ve been asked to do, but I think it's some weird form of writers block. Everyone else talks about writers block in the first or so draft, what happens at this stage, when you're just on the verge of first getting published??? help, it's been over six months now that i haven't been able to work..

TashaGoddard

Away with the fairies
Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to AW and the n-f studio.

First of all, congratulations on securing an agent and being close to getting published.

Not knowing much about your book or how you've been asked to change it, I can only throw out some general kind of advice.

I would suggest that you try to split the changes into small chunks, much in the same way you might split the initial writing into small chunks. This could be done in a number of way.

For example, if the changes requested are of a general nature (e.g. 'you need more facts', 'you need to be more personal'), you could split it into making this overall change chapter by chapter (or section by section). If you have a deadline to meet, you could split it down to spending 2 days on Chapter 1, 2 days on Chapter 2... etc.

Alternatively, if you have a long list of changes, you could split it down into dealing with one request at a time - again, try to make a schedule using the deadline you have (or create a deadline yourself, if you haven't been given one).

If the changes require you to do some extra research, you could equally split that down into chunks. For example, do Internet research for 2 days, local library research for another 2 days, academic library (if you have one you can use) research for another 2 days. Then you could split your notes down further (e.g. by chapter; by topic; etc.) and write each new paragraph or section bit by bit.

To sum up, then: split the changes down into manageable chunks and set yourself a schedule/deadline for each chunk. And keep to that deadline (that might be the hardest part).

Good luck!

alleywaygirl

Thankyou! your advice is on the postit notes on my monitor for this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.