What to do with all those rejection slips and letters

What to do with all those pieces of paper accusing me of suckitudinous writing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
You know me and my OCD...

Every so often I like to throw stuff out. Old clothes, things I never use any more, bits and pieces. The latest idea I've had is to get rid of the two folders of rejection slips and letters I have. Around 60 in total.

Now, I know some people keep their rejection slips because they dream of wiping their arse with them on the day their first published novel appears in the shops. Others think, "Meh," and throw them out because it's a no, a knockback, a rejection, who needs to hold on to that?

I've never had cause to look at these things, so why keep them? I have a record of which pieces I've submitted to which agents and publishers on a MS Excel file, so why keep these cards and pieces of paper which, in essence, say SCARLETPEACHES YOU SUCK MORE THAN A BANGKOK LADYBOY NOW LEAVE US ALONE AND TAKE YOUR SUCKY WRITING WITH YOU AND GO DIE IN A DITCH SOMEWHERE AND STOP SUCKING OR YOU'LL GO TO SUCKYWRITERS' HELL WITH ALL THE OTHER SUCKY PEOPLE.

*ahem*

What to do, what to do...

Unless y'all can come up with a good use for them, I'm gonna bin them all.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
I keep mine in a nice tidy file..... for 2 reasons, actually. One is to know who ive contacted, and also to remeber who told me to BUGGER OFFF when i become famous.....

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
send them to me, they'll be worth a fortune some day.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I say bin 'em. The only reason I haven't hit DELETE on my email folder of rejections is because I'm too damned lazy.

I have no interest in waving them in anyone's face or thumbing my nose at the people who said no. Because the "No's" were on novels that obviously weren't ready. Those agents didn't turn down me, they turned down books that weren't saleable. And looking back, I agree with them.

Reaction score
I say bin 'em. The only reason I haven't hit DELETE on my email folder of rejections is because I'm too damned lazy.

I have no interest in waving them in anyone's face or thumbing my nose at the people who said no. Because the "No's" were on novels that obviously weren't ready. Those agents didn't turn down me, they turned down books that weren't saleable. And looking back, I agree with them.

Reading that sentence made me sit up and say, "Oh!"

I realised that was probably what I've been thinking all along.

And yes, I too agree with the agents who turned me (or rather, my books) down. They weren't ready. Neither was I.

When it comes to waving success in people's faces...I reckon that would make me look as if I still wasn't over their former rejection, as if I'd taken it personally and spent years brooding over it.

And as the saying goes, "Success is the best revenge."

That, and, "The best revenge is to live a good life."

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've only gotten two rejection letters (email), so I've kept them. They were/are probably the nicest rejection letters I'm ever going to get, so why not? Also, they have a copy of the piece I submitted in the body, so it's nice to have another copy of the work.

I'd keep the encouraging ones, frame the nastiest as motivation, and chuck the rest. Or maybe recycle them into scrap paper or something, then toss them.

ETA: I should add, by the way, that I've not gotten any acceptances as of yet.

Last edited:

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm bitter and will continue to be that way for some time...... at least I have a goal.....

Reaction score
Bitter's good.

You can wrap the rejection slips around some razor blades and make the agents eat them! :D

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
I mentioned on another thread that a friend of mine thought about having a bar hangout in Hollywood called The Rejection Room where writers could post their rejections on the walls.

Never happened. Still a good idea. Perhaps even for a sitcom.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Most of mine are emailed. I put them in a rejections folder, in case I need the information later. I'll get around to clearing out the old ones eventually.

I'm keeping my first paper rejection. The rest, probably only if they say something unusual.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
I save them all. I plan to wallpaper a bathroom with them, maybe more than one, when I'm hugely successful. Not for nose thumbing, but as both a humorous reminder that not everyone is always right and you've come a long way, baby.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jeanne, we're sharing a single brain (again?); my plan is to wallpaper the area around my desk. including the ceiling, with a ragged border ripe for expansion, and possibly lay more down under my clear chair mat, too. I tossed a great batch of them when I moved my desk and files into this room, before I got the swell idea, and have regretted it many times since. It'd be pretty cool, huh?

Maryn, who watched them wallpaper with maps on TV

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, the best reason to save them is that if you are audited, you can prove to the IRS that you are actively pursuing paid writing opportunities and thus are entitled to various deductions related to the cost of launching your writing career.

Reaction score
They go back well over a decade and I'm not making enough money to be audited anyway. I don't pay tax 'cause I'm dirt poor.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I used to keep them all.

That was back when I was 16.

If I was STILL keeping my rejections, I'd be swimming in them.

Elidibus

Over 9000!!!!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
No. I can't come out to play. My muse won't let me
I was gonna print them out and stick em in a binder for posterity's sake so that, when I become a global phenomenon, I can open the binder and reminisce on the long journey I took. Also, I figure that, once I do achieve global success, I can pad my already massive income by selling autographed copies of my rejection slips on Ebay for several thousand dollars.

When life hands you lemons kinda thing =)

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I keep them for the same reason I kept all of my 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th place ribbons when I was showing horses: Because when I finally got that Champion ribbon, it sure as hell looked badass next to all of those "not quite, sorry" ribbons that were cowering in fear next to it.

Before I finally made it to the top, those ribbons were all I had to show that I'd at least gone into the ring and DONE something. When I made it, they served to remind me of just how much I had to work to GET to where I needed to be.

Right now, I have precious little in the way of rejection slips because I haven't submitted much. When I accumulate a stack of rejection slips, that will mean I'm worlds ahead of where I am right now. And when I finally publish something, I will pile all of the rejection slips on the floor, put my book on top of it, and take a picture.

But then, I'm one of those people who thinks success is that much sweeter when it's mounted on a pedestal of past failures...so I don't shun my past failures.

Oddly sentimental, maybe. But that's my take on it.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I collect 'em and keep 'em just as I would keep any other paperwork related to my business. I guess it's the cognitive therapist in me, but I have no emotion attached to them one way or another. I sell in a decent proportion to my rejections, so to me they're just a cost of doing business so to speak. They get filed in the appropriate file if they're paper or in a Gmail folder if they come online. Out of sight, out of mind.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I have a expanding file in which I keep all correspondence related to each story or novel, rejection, acceptance, contract, whatever. I don't mind the rejections -- they prove to me, as well as to the IRS, that I really am a working writer: I'm out there, baby.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I keep them, but it's starting to get sad. I was tender, then I grew armor plating, and now it's eroding with time and accumulated precipitation.

I'll be a skeleton soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.